closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 80 of 354 FirstFirst ... 3070787980818290130180 ... LastLast
Results 3,951 to 4,000 of 17667

Thread: More bike related stuff

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by higham5 View Post
    How sad is this I looked at that as well. In terms of different bikes to the GS it ticks every box. There’s something to be said about the bulletproof performance of an an in-line Honda 4
    Went for a short ride on the CB1100EX today and got the pristine bike mucky... Unsurprisingly it was totally different from the GS but...

Anyone want to buy a watch?

Had a very nice ride into deepest, darkest Berkshire with Sam today; well, very nice save that my hands were bloody freezing, despite having the pathetic BMW heated grips set to what they laughably call "high"! Anyway, i bit the bullet this evening and bought a pair of these. They're very well rated on the site, and were designed by Racer in collaboration with Urban Rider in order to provide a solution for those who wanted something less bulky and wearable than the normal offerings out there.

I think I'm going to speak to Lind Motorrad next week and see if I can get a refund on the grips. If not, I guess they'll enable me to set the gloves to a slightly lower setting than I'd other wise use and thereby get more battery life on a ride. Annoying, though.

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Had a very nice ride into deepest, darkest Berkshire with Sam today; well, very nice save that my hands were bloody freezing, despite having the pathetic BMW heated grips set to what they laughably call "high"! Anyway, i bit the bullet this evening and bought a pair of these. They're very well rated on the site, and were designed by Racer in collaboration with Urban Rider in order to provide a solution for those who wanted something less bulky and wearable than the normal offerings out there.

I think I'm going to speak to Lind Motorrad next week and see if I can get a refund on the grips. If not, I guess they'll enable me to set the gloves to a slightly lower setting than I'd other wise use and thereby get more battery life on a ride. Annoying, though.
    I’d love to know how you get on with these Tony. I’ve been looking at them and a few other battery heated gloves. Some real world feedback would be really helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by GavinD View Post
    I’d love to know how you get on with these Tony. I’ve been looking at them and a few other battery heated gloves. Some real world feedback would be really helpful.
    I’ll report back!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmcb View Post
    Anyone using one of these and if so, what’s the thoughts

Looking two get 2 units

Jim
    Anyone

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by oliverte View Post
    Quite a large update from my side

After 18 enjoyable months on a BMW R Nine T Racer (on which I found the riding position to be fairly bearable) and with a grand total of 2,700 miles completed I am moving to something new

I have just put a deposit down on a 2010 KTM RC8R. Hopefully picking it up on Saturday (weather permitting)

I will keep you all posted

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
    Have fun!! I had an RC8 as a track bike, it’s a world away from the R9T. Brilliant engine.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Ignore me - somehow I posted in the wrong thread.
    Last edited by dickbrowne; 26th January 2020 at 00:30.

I have a 10 year old GS (A) and I only ever use the heated grips on the low setting. I use BMW gloves, which are summer or winter depending on which slot you put your hand in. I have always been of the belief that we need more effort keeping the body core warm, to keep the hands and feet warm. Almost everything that I have ridden has had hand protectors though, which does make a difference. All the bikers older and wiser than me, and those that ride in really cold temps, use hand muffs. They are all smiling for a reason, but hand muffs don't look cool, and no-one can see your watch!

Had a very nice ride into deepest, darkest Berkshire with Sam today; well, very nice save that my hands were bloody freezing, despite having the pathetic BMW heated grips set to what they laughably call "high"!
    My BMW grips are scorching, but I have them combined with hand guards (with Givi extensions). Keeping my hands out of the cold blast is half the battle.

Quite annoying as I'm sure the R1200 RT has 5 stage heated grips. GS and the like are stuck with just two. Even Oxford grips would be better.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Gyp View Post
    My BMW grips are scorching, but I have them combined with hand guards (with Givi extensions). Keeping my hands out of the cold blast is half the battle.
    Mine too, on an RNT. If I recall, Tony’s were dealer fit, not factory. That may be the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Skyman View Post
    Mine too, on an RNT. If I recall, Tony’s were dealer fit, not factory. That may be the difference.
    Good point. They’ve actually checked them and reckon all is fine, but I’m not buying that any more.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Good point. They’ve actually checked them and reckon all is fine, but I’m not buying that any more.
    Nor would I.

The BMW ones on my 1989 boxer are a little underwhelming, but the BMW ones on my 2015 bike are hot enough to cook on

Pretty much.

The Triumph ones on my Street Scrambler aren't quite as effective, but that's probably down to the lack of hand guards

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Even Oxford grips would be better.
    Oxford grips are superb for the money.
    5 heat levels, way, way more reliable than a lot of oe brands.
    For best results, snip out the connectors, solder & shrink wrap.

Tucano Urbano have reduced their "helmet stand" in their sale.

https://www.tucanourbano.com/en/pp/m...blue-316-67358

I wonder why they're not selling like hot udders. I mean hot cakes.

Not seen those, a solution looking for a problem that doesn’t exist!

Quote Originally Posted by Skyman View Post
    Mine three on a R1200R Sport, I can't keep them on the high setting for too long as it gets too scorchio for my hands.

Drafting the email as we speak... I'm going to give them two options, either of which will be satisfactory to me:

1 Return the grips for a full refund (£389!!!)
    2 Keep the grips with a partial refund equivalent to the cost of the gloves I've had to buy (£195)

Frankly, I don't mind which option we agree on, but the default position is that the grips are not fit for purpose.
    Last edited by learningtofly; 27th January 2020 at 10:18.

Master

More bike related stuff

Mine are roasting hot on ‘2’ and normally just leave them on 1. The Euro3 bikes had a problem where they would not get hot enough. Euro4 bikes onwards had the problem sorted.

Is your bike a E3 or E4?

Quote Originally Posted by spareparts View Post
    Mine are roasting hot on ‘2’ and normally just leave them on 1. The Euro3 bikes had a problem where they would not get hot enough. Euro4 bikes onwards had the problem sorted.

Is your bike a E3 or E4?
    That makes sense - mine's Euro 3.

Cold but a great ride with Tony. Really enjoyed riding again and following my nose.

Am considering oxford heated grips especially as my old heated gloves failed.

Why would euro 3 v 4 matter?

I would keep the heated grips - ideal for when the temp drops and caught out with summer gloves on as always on the bike.

Those gloves look great - I have some of the Keiss inner gloves but had to buy a pair of XXL to wear them.

The best heated grips I ever had were some snow-mobile bar inserts - they were a very DIY install so not elegant, but actually got too hot !

Quote Originally Posted by MB2 View Post
    I would keep the heated grips - ideal for when the temp drops and caught out with summer gloves on as always on the bike.

Those gloves look great - I have some of the Keiss inner gloves but had to buy a pair of XXL to wear them.

The best heated grips I ever had were some snow-mobile bar inserts - they were a very DIY install so not elegant, but actually got too hot !
    Actually, that's exactly what I've been thinking.

Wouldn't be without heated grips, even bad ones are better than nothing. If getting rid of them do think of Oxford ones.

My old RT has boiling heated grips. I only wear summer gloves year round.
    ( but you don’t get much air over your hands on a RT )

I’m starting to look at adv bikes.. Super Tenere looks good. Shaft and cruise and they don’t seem to break.

Want to go to Mauritania...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by samswatch View Post

Why would euro 3 v 4 matter?
    Just one of those model year improvements they fixed. IIRC, it was something to do with the handlebars...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm on my 5th set of Oxfords.
    They've all been 100% reliable with the exception of the connectors failing to make contact occasionally.
    Really easy to fix.
    Give thought to where you mount the controller, sometimes there are better places to mount than the bars.
    Recommend the 'Sports' version as they appear to be a bit slimmer.

The newer Bmw ones are fine (as others have said the max setting is almost too hot!). The older versions used to fail at the connection between the wiring and the heating element. I had to fix both on my older GS, required dissecting the grip and some soldering. When mine started to fail they wouldn’t heat up as much, so not sure if that’s what you’re getting Tony?

Master
    Another recommendation for Oxford heated grips. Had them on my DRZ400 and, with hand guards I never got them above 3 without scorching my hands. The only downside was the rather clunky control box, but I daresay this has been improved over the years.

Out of curiousity has anyone fitted oxford grips to a KTM and 'shaved' off the grip off the throttle side?

I keep thinking of getting them but am nervous about the fitting to the throttle side as the grip and plastic throttle tube are almost moulded together.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt8500 View Post
    The newer Bmw ones are fine
    If newer includes 2015, I'd agree. Although I've not ridden in anything I'd call really cold for a while, I usually turn mine down to the lower setting pretty quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by MadeOfCheese View Post
    Another recommendation for Oxford heated grips.
    My brother fitted these on his Street Triple & he's very impressed so far.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Quote Originally Posted by Matt8500 View Post
    The newer Bmw ones are fine (as others have said the max setting is almost too hot!). The older versions used to fail at the connection between the wiring and the heating element. I had to fix both on my older GS, required dissecting the grip and some soldering. When mine started to fail they wouldn’t heat up as much, so not sure if that’s what you’re getting Tony?
    Mine were shite from new, Matt. I even complained when I picked the bike up after they were fitted, and a technician checked them over. He said I should stick with them and see how I felt after some long rides, which I've now done. I know how I feel... cheated!

Mine were shite from new, Matt. I even complained when I picked the bike up after they were fitted, and a technician checked them over. He said I should stick with them and see how I felt after some long rides, which I've now done. I know how I feel... cheated!
    Not sure if the info is there and I've missed it, but what grips have you got, Tony?

Not sure if the info is there and I've missed it, but what grips have you got, Tony?
    OEM, for which BMW charged a small fortune.

OEM, for which BMW charged a small fortune.
    Ambient garage temp 4C

2015 BMW OEM after 2 minutes on tick over (high setting)

If they aren't getting up to temperature, it's likely an electrical fault somewhere, so I don't think it would be a great idea to accept them with a discount as the fault would still be there

Well, I've just had a response saying that they checked them over, they're working to spec and they're not prepared to entertain a refund.

Will have a think about next steps.

Well, I've just had a response saying that they checked them over, they're working to spec and they're not prepared to entertain a refund.

Will have a think about next steps.
    Want to borrow an infrared temperature probe?

How did they wire them to the bike?
    If you can get to the +ve supply wire hook it up to an ammeter, measure the current and work out the wattage.
    If it tallies with the power the grips are supposed to deliver then they`re working to spec.

Want to borrow an infrared temperature probe?
    Very kind of you, but I can't see any indication of what the correct operating temperatures should be, anywhere. I'm not sure that BMW would release the figures anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by E_2_Right-Force View Post
    How did they wire them to the bike?
    If you can get to the +ve supply wire hook it up to an ammeter, measure the current and work out the wattage.
    If it tallies with the power the grips are supposed to deliver then they`re working to spec.
    That would be helpful, but unfortunately the tank on an R9T has to be removed (effectively) to access the battery terminals. In respect of checking the output, I'd also have absolutely no idea what I was doing

Well, the good news is that the Racer gloves arrived today. Heating aside, they're by far the nicest bike gloves I've worn; I charged the batteries and tried the gloves in the house and i can only say that they feel amazing! Can't wait to test them properly tomorrow, but they seem to be a premium quality product.

Well, the good news is that the Racer gloves arrived today. Heating aside, they're by far the nicest bike gloves I've worn; I charged the batteries and tried the gloves in the house and i can only say that they feel amazing! Can't wait to test them properly tomorrow, but they seem to be a premium quality product.
    Thinking of trying some of these, the reviews look good and they don't seem to bulky, how is the sizing Tony, same as most other makes?

Well, the good news is that the Racer gloves arrived today. Heating aside, they're by far the nicest bike gloves I've worn;
    I like Racer gloves generally - have a few pairs.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Warrington, centre of the Universe and home of the Mighty Wire
    Did your Triple have OEM heated grips Tony? Just wondering if so, how the BMW ones compare.

Stuart

Quote Originally Posted by cinnabull View Post
    Did your Triple have OEM heated grips Tony? Just wondering if so, how the BMW ones compare.

Stuart

The Triple grips were substantially hotter on medium than the BMW grips are on high - in a different league altogether, tbh.

Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard View Post
    Thinking of trying some of these, the reviews look good and they don't seem too bulky, how is the sizing Tony, same as most other makes?
    Just had a couple of hours on the road with them, and it was bitterly cold out there. Nice and warm without my grips switched off, and properly toasty with the grips on. Some observations...

1) They're marginally tighter than my other gloves in a medium. If you're on the cusp of medium and large I'd go for large.

2) With the batteries fitted they do present a bit of a challenge with regard to jacket cuffs - they were a little too bulky for me to close the zip on my Revit Stewart jacket properly, but the gloves aren't wide enough to fit easily over that particular jacket. They're almost between two stools, if that makes sense, although I need to try them with my proper winter jacket too. Those cuffs are thinner and I may well be able to close the gloves over them.

3) After a couple of hours, the low charge light had appeared on both gloves. I had them set to high which is supposed to give you three hours on a full charge, so that's probably about right. I didn't try them on lower settings, but the medium allegedly gives you another hour and a half of heat. (NB I realised later that they weren't actually fully charged, so that bodes well!)

All in all, a very nice glove which I'll be happy to wear without batteries fitted during the Spring and Autumn. I was aware of the issues that might present themselves with regard to thicker jacket cuffs, but if that would be an issue for you I'd suggest that you go for one of the larger styles that fit over a jacket and thereby give you easy access to the heat setting and on/off controls on the fly.
    Last edited by learningtofly; 29th January 2020 at 18:09.

Thanks for the feedback, the fact the gloves wont go over the jacket cuff may be an issue, did you try the boost setting? I have heated grips on my bike but would like to try some heated gloves

Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard View Post
    Thanks for the feedback, the fact the gloves wont go over the jacket cuff may be an issue, did you try the boost setting? I have heated grips on my bike but would like to try some heated gloves
    Okay, a qick update as I've been playing around with them now I'm back home... boost setting was lovely and warm, btw.

They do fit over the cuffs of my textile jacket that fasten with velcro; i can get the gloves over them easily and can close the zip in the side almost fully. I can also get them over the jacket that I was wearing tis morning, but the zip won't close.

In sumary, they're a bit of a compromise, the downside being as described. However, the upside is that they're probably three-season gloves that look cool as well. Without batteries they'll be far easier to manipulate over and under jackets, too.
    Last edited by learningtofly; 29th January 2020 at 16:06.

I’ve found the OEM Honda grips on my NC750x to be pretty feeble too. Slightly warm is how I would describe them on 5 (max). My old oem KTM superduke grips would melt my hands off above medium.

All academic as I’m chopping it in for an Indian next week. My first bobber, my first US bike. Absolutely loved it on the test ride and think it looks and sounds incredible (V&H pipes, not stock obvs)
    Any other Indian owners here?