closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 343 of 359 FirstFirst ... 243293333341342343344345353 ... LastLast
Results 17,101 to 17,150 of 17919

Thread: More bike related stuff

Master
    When the mud splashes are on top of the tank, you know you’ve had a good ride…

Quote Originally Posted by downer View Post
    When the mud splashes are on top of the tank, you know you’ve had a good ride…

Fnar-fnar!

I was bored at lunch, so went to the local Aprilia dealers. Had a sit on the Tuono 660 and RS660, but just wondering if anyone has an Aprilia, and what do you think of it?

Thanks

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Fish View Post
    I was bored at lunch, so went to the local Aprilia dealers. Had a sit on the Tuono 660 and RS660, but just wondering if anyone has an Aprilia, and what do you think of it?

Thanks
    My mates wife has amongst others an RS660, and she loves it. She traded a zxr650 for it, and she says the Aprilia is a far better bike. Judging by the way she gets along on it, I’d say she has a lot of confidence in it.

Quote Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
    My mates wife has amongst others an RS660, and she loves it. She traded a zxr650 for it, and she says the Aprilia is a far better bike. Judging by the way she gets along on it, I’d say she has a lot of confidence in it.
    Translated: she rides it like a possessed maniac. With a death wish. And on acid.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Sits staring at a bit of tarmac for hours?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Fish View Post

Thanks
    I’m tempted by the RS as well. It gets great reviews and to my eye looks an incredible machine.

Just can’t bring myself to part with my Ducati below, can man maths help me out so as I can have both I wonder…

Man math might help you get both but you won't get the same enjoyment, the joy of getting to know your new steed, the running-in of both ride and rider...

I am all for having more than one bike, but you should get the next one once you have made the first one part of your household. IMO.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    Man math might help you get both but you won't get the same enjoyment, the joy of getting to know your new steed, the running-in of both ride and rider...

I am all for having more than one bike, but you should get the next one once you have made the first one part of your household. IMO.
    Wise words and TBH the Monster is already a bike that is close to my heart. It’s such an easy going machine that always seems to want to please. Even my wife loves it! I’ve had 2 bikes in the past and maybe that’s the answer, just need to wait for another year or so.

Master
    Went for a quick hour run to put fresh petrol in, god it’s great to get back in the saddle after 4 months. Also confirmed that the Monster is staying put. Beautifully simple bike that is an absolute pleasure to ride. Can’t wait for the warmer days to return soon.

Took a demo ride on an R1300GS, it`s quick, very quick, but as others have quipped is more strasse than gelande nowadays, which is fine..

Quote Originally Posted by I a n View Post
    And this arrived ...
    What is it?

Master
    This went today ...

And this arrived ...

And surprisingly the weather played nicely and I managed to get out for a spin this afternoon ... and it's definitely quick enough...
    I can’t see what arrived

More bike related stuff

Quote Originally Posted by lewie View Post
    I can’t see what arrived
    Two extra cylinders by the look of it.

Quote Originally Posted by E_2_Right-Force View Post
    Took a demo ride on an R1300GS, it`s quick, very quick, but as others have quipped is more strasse than gelande nowadays, which is fine..

It's been more road-orientated for over a decade now, which is something the detractors love to highlight.

It's one of the best bikes for touring and also scratching around country roads - doesn't matter what tag it has.

So - when you getting one??

Master
    Oops .. this is what I meant to post above..

My V2S was traded for this V4S ...

Last edited by I a n; 27th January 2024 at 20:04.

Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    So - when you getting one??
    Nah, it`s not for me, i prefer the enormity of the adventure with it`s bus-like bulk, comfort and rediculous looks that can only be the current GSA.
    The 13 GSA might make an appearance in the Autumn apparently, if it really wows me i might consider the change but it will probably be ££££££...

Quote Originally Posted by E_2_Right-Force View Post
    Nah, it`s not for me, i prefer the enormity of the adventure with it`s bus-like bulk, comfort and rediculous looks that can only be the current GSA.
    The 13 GSA might make an appearance in the Autumn apparently, if it really wows me i might consider the change but it will probably be ££££££...
    Yeah, many people prefer the ADV version. I had the 2006 and the 2010 ADV models and loved them for what they did, but they were big old beasts !

The 1250 seems to be even wider in the 'shoulders' than the TC. Great mile-muncher and carries pillion and luggage with ease.

I think BMW are playing a canny game, not releasing both the GS and the GSA together. They did similar in the 2004/2006 releases (not sure about later releases) but I think it netts them more revenue.

Master
    Oops .. this is what I meant to post above..

My V2S was traded for this V4S ...

Wow that looks like its going to be a lot of fun. Plenty of tech on these , rear cylinder deactivation when stationary. Sure I read the V4 multi was one of Ducs best sellers last year.

But please please remember this is watch oriented site so we like details hence make sure the red flashes on the wheels are aligned in future :)
    Last edited by higham5; 27th January 2024 at 20:58.

Master
    Yeah, many people prefer the ADV version. I had the 2006 and the 2010 ADV models and loved them for what they did, but they were big old beasts !

The 1250 seems to be even wider in the 'shoulders' than the TC. Great mile-muncher and carries pillion and luggage with ease.

I think BMW are playing a canny game, not releasing both the GS and the GSA together. They did similar in the 2004/2006 releases (not sure about later releases) but I think it netts them more revenue.
    Agreed, the early adopters want the new bike, ideally the GSA because of its stance and presence, but as its not available they compromise, buy the std bike then trade 9/12 months down the line.

Just came down Park Rash into Kettlewell, and now found a drink a rest and the loo in The Bluebell

Ps The Manor Farm Cafe between Leyburn and Bellerby is shutting down — rent rise. Food van will operate in Half Penny House layby a couple of miles north. No loos though.
    Last edited by Der Amf; 28th January 2024 at 15:04.

Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    Ps The Manor Farm Cafe between Leyburn and Bellerby is shutting down.
    They had a pile of Manor Farm Cafe patches they were giving away. I took a couple in case anyone here wants one?

Master
    Progress is being made.

Does the Ohlins come as OE, or is that an upgrade?

Sometime after ceasing to be one myself, I noticed that when you see a group of teenage boys walking down the street, mostly they're preoccupied with the dynamics within the group, blind to everything (other than the usual things that catch teenage boys' eyes, obvs)

Yesterday was my first experience of riding in a beautiful rural landscape on a sunny Sunday; I had far more company than ever before, and had my first experiences of interacting with groups of large gleaming motorbikes.

As with teenage boys walking down the street, when there was a group of 4 or more, the awareness and consideration for anyone else on the road vanished, they just ploughed through the tiny spaces en masse, as entitled as, say, a large saloon car impatient to do 85mph along a single carriageway. So different to the lone bikers who, not preoccupied with some internal group dynamics, were just as keen to interact with thought and good humour as before.

In itself, it wasn't much of an annoyance, but I felt a bit dismayed to be in the same bracket as people who behave like that, embarrassed that the people who live round there could reasonably hold a low opinion of visiting bikers.

Since I'm enjoying the whole experience of being part of the mixed community of road users treating one another with cheerful courtesy, I think I'll carry on riding in a group of one.

Master
    Just came down Park Rash into Kettlewell, and now found a drink a rest and the loo in The Bluebell

Ps The Manor Farm Cafe between Leyburn and Bellerby is shutting down — rent rise. Food van will operate in Half Penny House layby a couple of miles north. No loos though.
    I’m surprised the cafe has lasted so long, when Simon had AMR and started the cafe it was just for a bit of extra in money, when he sold AMR the woman who took the cafe over didn’t pay the rent and pocketed the money and did a bunk so it was closed for a while and the owners have wanted it back for a long time.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Sometime after ceasing to be one myself, I noticed that when you see a group of teenage boys walking down the street, mostly they're preoccupied with the dynamics within the group, blind to everything (other than the usual things that catch teenage boys' eyes, obvs)

Yesterday was my first experience of riding in a beautiful rural landscape on a sunny Sunday; I had far more company than ever before, and had my first experiences of interacting with groups of large gleaming motorbikes.

As with teenage boys walking down the street, when there was a group of 4 or more, the awareness and consideration for anyone else on the road vanished, they just ploughed through the tiny spaces en masse, as entitled as, say, a large saloon car impatient to do 85mph along a single carriageway. So different to the lone bikers who, not preoccupied with some internal group dynamics, were just as keen to interact with thought and good humour as before.

In itself, it wasn't much of an annoyance, but I felt a bit dismayed to be in the same bracket as people who behave like that, embarrassed that the people who live round there could reasonably hold a low opinion of visiting bikers.

Since I'm enjoying the whole experience of being part of the mixed community of road users treating one another with cheerful courtesy, I think I'll carry on riding in a group of one.
    Have you not seen the bike clubs (esp the ones affiliated to Blue Angels) who block off junctions so that their group don't get split up? Also in many groups of bikers - the entire group (of say 5) follow the leader in an overtake - even though the opening has disappeared since the one in front went past.

I steer clear of 'rideouts' (and hate the term) - but stick to riding with prob 2 known riders, or solo.

Quote Originally Posted by aa388 View Post
    the owners have wanted it back for a long time.
    Do you know if they'll be looking for new tenants to run a cafe there? Liked having somewhere warm and dry to head for.....

Craftsman

This is exactly why I only ride with a few people who I know and trust. I’ve made the mistake of joining group rides in the past, where idiots risk lives to keep up with the group or show off, and embarrass the rest of the group in the process.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Tifa View Post
    Does the Ohlins come as OE, or is that an upgrade?
    Upgrade…. Also ordered ohlins internals for the forks.🤓

Quote Originally Posted by Bobbyf View Post
    This is exactly why I only ride with a few people who I know and trust. I’ve made the mistake of joining group rides in the past, where idiots risk lives to keep up with the group or show off, and embarrass the rest of the group in the process.
    Ditto this, max 4 riders (including me) or I'm not going.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Quote Originally Posted by ralphy View Post
    Ditto this, max 4 riders (including me) or I'm not going.

R
    I think the last group run I was on, was around The Borders, and we opperated the 'drop-off' system. One leader, one tail-ender, which gives you a good chance to see how everyone is riding. By morning coffee stop, I reckoned that one of two riders might have an incident.
    By the afternoon when I was marking a crossroads - I saw how each rider approached the tight bend 300yds away, and thought they dropped in quite quick for not knowing the road.

Got past St Boswells and found one of the two had run wide on the bend and binned his bike. Think being 'nearly' local - he wanted to show the others how it was done.............

Anyway - a few broken ribs, punctured lung and a few weeks off work and a bent bike.

Luckily - it wasn't too far from my home so I rode back, hitched up car/trailer and went back for his bike and delivered it to his home.

Mostly in the groups I did do occasional runs with - most tended to be sensible(ish)

Master
    Have you not seen the bike clubs (esp the ones affiliated to Blue Angels) who block off junctions so that their group don't get split up? Also in many groups of bikers - the entire group (of say 5) follow the leader in an overtake - even though the opening has disappeared since the one in front went past.

I steer clear of 'rideouts' (and hate the term) - but stick to riding with prob 2 known riders, or solo.
    Saw this in the Dales Blackal. Number of bikes passed us on a straight , no issues. At the end of the straight was a tight left hand bend / hairpin. Tail end Charlie bike overtook us AND a bus on the wrong side of the road on said LH bend.

When recounting this act of lunacy / bravery to a pal he suggested they had a group intercom running and had told tail end charlie the road was clear!

Dont know about you guys , but I wouldn’t trust a “word in my ear” to commit to a blind overtake.

Quote Originally Posted by higham5 View Post
    Saw this in the Dales Blackal. Number of bikes passed us on a straight , no issues. At the end of the straight was a tight left hand bend / hairpin. Tail end Charlie bike overtook us AND a bus on the wrong side of the road on said LH bend.

When recounting this act of lunacy / bravery to a pal he suggested they had a group intercom running and had told tail end charlie the road was clear!

Dont know about you guys , but I wouldn’t trust a “word in my ear” to commit to a blind overtake.

We have done it in France for two of us (not a whole gaggle) - but understand the 'protocol' required.

The lead rider keeps calling "clear, clear, clear...................." with any additional info if valid

If the transmission stops or he advises of a vehicle coming - you tuck back in. Dead handy for drifting by a string of slower traffic on our side.

also use it when the lead rider clears a hairpin and warns of any vehicle coming down, or if the exit is clear.

Master
    I usually only have my Cardo connected to Sat nav. But on the odd occasion I connect to another rider, the only warnings I’ve given are along the lines of pot hole, debris camera van or some other hazard that I would expect the following rider to spot anyway. Anything to do with overtaking or making a manoeuvre is a complete No no

ive never owned/used any comms on a bike , all i use are hand /foot signals for letting people know about potholes /police /you have left your indicator on etc etc.
    like most have already said most of my rides are done on my own or a max of 3 people i know and trust , theres a local large grp that goes out regular by me (midland riders) everytime i see them about they look like a disaster waiting to happen (massive mix of bikes and abilities )

Master
    Any feedback on centre lift stands as per below, in particular Motea ones as they do seem very cheap!

https://www.motea.uk/center-stand-co...2477-a503959-0

Thanks

I bought a couple a few years ago.

First time in use - you think: "Let's just raise it a couple of inches off the ground and make sure it holds........."

The one for my R-1 was drilled incorrectly and they wanted me to send the entire unit back rather than the one required strut on replacement..........

I thought they were difficult to deal with. (but the units are okay)
    Last edited by blackal; 30th January 2024 at 21:43.

not seen that make before , i use an abba stand and know a few people with abba skylifts (whole bike off ground )
    ... tbh i would not trust something that cheap to hold an expensive bike off the ground without thinking it would fall apart anytime i sneezed around it.

Master
    Thanks Guys - I’m also looking at the abba stands, they get good reviews and seem the most reliable choice. Also different fitting kits available should I want to use it on more than one bike.

I'm also after a bike lift but the platform type rather than the lift type and I know a few of you here have them.

I'm looking at the HBM300 with hydraulic and air (as I'll be using the air to operate it more than I will the hydraulic).

This one looks great to me, quality German engineering, long company history, CE certified etc, but does anyone know if there's a better product available for around the same cost?

I’ve been looking for something similar myself and thought this looked ok but I haven’t got any further than looking. I would also be interested in any real life experiences. https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/cml3...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

Quote Originally Posted by Craizeehair View Post
    I’ve been looking for something similar myself and thought this looked ok but I haven’t got any further than looking. I would also be interested in any real life experiences. https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/cml3...E&gclsrc=aw.ds
    I'm not a fan of the parallelogram action ones - which don't lift the bike straight up. I went for the Scissor-action one with hydraulic pump.

That said - the parallelogram ones do the job okay. Useful to have the rear wheel cut-out plate for changing wheels easier.

If you aren't in an immediate rush to get one - keep your eye on Facebook Marketplace for a decent used one. Buy one for £250 and after 5yrs ....... sell it for at least the same money.

I much prefer the hydraulic workbench type of bike lift.

Universal to all bikes so no adapter kits needed, they just feel that much more stable to me and especially so for really heavy bikes. As a plus point they double up as a moveable workbench too.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Quote Originally Posted by Thewatchbloke View Post
    I'm also after a bike lift but the platform type rather than the lift type and I know a few of you here have them.

I'm looking at the HBM300 with hydraulic and air (as I'll be using the air to operate it more than I will the hydraulic).

This one looks great to me, quality German engineering, long company history, CE certified etc, but does anyone know if there's a better product available for around the same cost?
    The one in your pic appears to be a fairly old Chinese design.
    Nothing wrong with them btw, I've got one myself.
    If you haven't already done so, check out CJ Autos for lifts. https://cjautosheywood.co.uk/product...cle-equipment/
    Good to deal with, and much cheaper than Sealy/Machine Mart for the same lift.
    Only advice I'd offer other than this is go for the wider lift if you can, they're much easier to get bikes off sidestands onto paddock stands and you have heaps more space for working on.

Quote Originally Posted by Tifa View Post
    Only advice I'd offer other than this is go for the wider lift if you can, they're much easier to get bikes off sidestands onto paddock stands and you have heaps more space for working on.
    And longer; I’ve got some checker plate to extend my working bed because when I put a bike onto the Centre stand I end up with loads of space at the front and the rear wheel off the back of the lift.

It’s not critical but with a front extension the centre stand can be more central on the bed giving a more balanced position.

How high do you want to lift?
    I`ve been building my own design lift recently and the limiting factor on height was the roof of my carport!
    It`ll raise the bike by 800mm which is perfect to see right under the bikes and do maintainence or a deep clean standing up.

This is near20K and 265kg worth of bike raised up nearly a meter off the ground on a home-made and self-welded lift. Who else would be that confident crazy?
    (it`s way over engineered and i`ve never had a weld fail yet...)

It`s not quite finished yet, one ot two design tweaks still to be made and then some paint..

You are braver than me!

Master
    Wasn’t going to fit these covers, but then again I went to the trouble and expense of getting them cerakoted so what the heck.

Regarding lifts, I treated myself to the ProBike lift. It gets lots of use.

Last edited by Enoch; 31st January 2024 at 19:47.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
    Wasn’t going to fit these covers, but then again I went to the trouble and expense of getting them cerakoted so what the heck.

]
    I think they look smart and they signal the bike as “your custom “ given the work you have put in , you need a talking point when parked up in Bala ;)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by higham5 View Post
    I think they look smart and they signal the bike as “your custom “ given the work you have put in , you need a talking point when parked up in Bala ;)
    I think they’ll grow on me, but boy did I make a mess fitting them. I’d guessed that all the oil in the engine would be in the sump. Big mistake, took the alternator cover off and immediately lost around a litre of oil, all over the work bench, my tools and the floor. Oh how happy was I cleaning that lot up🤪🤔🤔