timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: More bike related stuff

Hybrid View

It's just a matter of time...

Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    Yes, Scott, perfect. I quote from the opening paragraph:

“I’m going to say this right off the bat so that I don’t forget to later: Do NOT buy this bike if you’re a beginner and just starting off in the world of 2-wheelers. I say that not as a challenge of any kind, but more from the fact that this bike is definitely for a seasoned biker, I kid you not.”

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post

“I’m going to say this right off the bat so that I don’t forget to later: Do NOT buy this bike if you’re a beginner and just starting off in the world of 2-wheelers. I say that not as a challenge of any kind, but more from the fact that this bike is definitely for a seasoned biker, I kid you not.”
    Don’t dismiss Guzzis, but consider older ones with classic throttle.
    Having said that, modern bikes are great.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

I know, I thought you would appreciate that ;) - but in all honesty it’s just a review, and the bike is light for a Guzzi and not high power etc. It would be very comfortable, and being shaft drive would need very little maintenance, which is a huge benefit to a new or born again biker - I find dealing with a chain on my Africa Twin DCT commuter a pain compared to my shaft drive R1200 BMW’s

Plus they can bought bought at good prices.

See what you prefer the look of, and enjoy riding. You’ll know which bike you have a preference for quite quickly.

I had a BMW F750 as a loan bike when my R1200R Sport was in for service last week and took it for a long ride through the Black Mountains and mid Wales.

I expected to by underwhelmed, and after a couple of hundred yards I hated it. Hateful thing. Considered leaving it at home and taking the MX-5 instead.

However, having decided to persevere, over the the next few miles it won me over and I have to admit that it was actually rather good and I'd be more than happy to own one. It would be difficult to argue that it wouldn't do everything I wanted from a bike.

Fun, comfortable, competent, easy to handle. It wasn't fast, but it was fast enough.

I've had bikes that wowed me in a short test ride but weren't great when I owned them

- Hayabusa - awesomely fast, incredibly smooth engine, riding position crippled me after about 25 minutes
    - R1150R - lots of grunt and fun around town, but really didn't gel with the bike out of town
    - TDR250 - brilliant fun out of town, nightmare in town
    etc

Hi Tony, I went through a similar process a while ago and ended up with a Ducati Scrambler 800cc. A bit more CC than you wanted but power wise similar to the MT07.
    It’s light and nimble, cheap to run and very reliable. After a test I preferred it to the MT09. Better riding position for me and I love the brand.

Cheers
    Andy

Which one did you go for, Andy (is that the Icon), and did you test more than one?

I went for the Icon mainly as I wanted a red one. I was one of the first to get one of these when they were released in March 15. I’ve tried a fair few since but nothing is as fun for me. I had a multi Strada before this and although bloody fast the Scrambler is more fun as it’s lighter. For me this was the overriding feature when considering a bike. I’m sure there are good dealers where you live but i went to P&H in Crawley that have so
    Many bikes on demo I went for a day and took out 5 or 6. That way it was easier to compare.

Thanks Andy - the Icon is the one that seems to fit the bill for me too.

A funny thing happened over the course of yesterday evening. Firstly, I was musing on how everyone is nudging me towards larger bikes; this is understandable, but to be honest I'll never be racing and style and comfort are the most important things to me. Secondly, I think I allowed myself to be swayed in terms of looks by the MT-07 and Vitpilen, given that what I've always loved are the retro looks from the 70s and 80s (when I was riding Honda 250s without a licence, god forgive me).

Anyway, the bikes on here that have always made me drool are Jason's, especially his bobber. So different to a lot of the bikes I've been considering but still the aesthetic that I like more than anything. Then, last night, I discovered something; a smaller engine at 500cc, but a style that reflects what I really like, and dimensions that perfectly suit a short-arse like me. The Honda CMX500 Rebel.

I have t say that I'm totally in love with the looks of this bike. Reviews on YouTube indicate that it's perfect for poodling around in town, whilst will also happily cruise all day at an acceptable speed on an open road or on the motorway. The seat is also nice and low, so no issues with regard to handling in stop/start conditions. It's going straight onto my shortlist, and I won't be swayed by the inevitable response that it's too small an engine! So now, having removed the less classicly-styled machines from the list...

Scrambler Icon
    Street Triple R LRH
    CMX500 Rebel
    MT-07
    Last edited by learningtofly; 9th August 2018 at 10:32.

Hondas are reliable bikes so if you love the look then that might be the one.
    Another point I would make is that I like the laid back up right riding position and that’s why I went icon rather than a Full Throttle.
    I found the MT and street triple a more agressive position with lower forward bars.
    Enjoy the hunt, as with all these things that’s part of the fun

Chaps, is there a reason nobody has mentioned the Street Twin, as opposed to the Street Triple? I understand that it's outside of my intended engine size, but I can't help but note that it's a slightly lower seat height (better for me) and is a seemingly good ride at lower revs (also good for a poddler and casual rider, as opposed to someone who would give t a bit of a thrashing).

Anybody have any real-world experience of these, as the classic Bonneville looks are certainly doing it for me visually? I'd certainly be interested on opinions as to how it stacks up as a beginner bike against the Street Triple.

Last edited by learningtofly; 12th August 2018 at 12:19.

you really need to get out and test ride the ones you like the look of , personally if i were you i'd get something i liked that is a good few years old as most new bikers realise they have bought the wrong bike after a 8-12 months in the saddle and end up changing it.
    you may decide you want something quicker after a short time or you might decide a tootle round posing machine is more for you .

re: the sv 650 , i recently had one for a few days as a courtesy bike while my speed was in for its 12k service , personally after the speed triple it felt like a bag of junk that would not pull a tooth out of a dead horses head , however for going to and from work and running into the ground without ever having to touch it other than putting petrol in it would be perfect.

* i guess the moral for most bikers is get something you can have fun on , if i wanted to pootle about at 40mph i'd take the car :)
    Last edited by pugster; 12th August 2018 at 09:37.

Chaps, is there a reason nobody has mentioned the Street Twin, as opposed to the Street Triple? I understand that it's outside of my intended engine size, but I can't help but note that it's a slightly lower seat height (better for me) and is a seemingly good ride at lower revs (also good for a poddler and casual rider, as opposed to someone who would give t a bit of a thrashing).

Anybody have any real-world experience of these, as the classic Bonneville looks are certainly doing it for me visually? I'd certainly be interested on opinions as to how it stacks up as a beginner bike against the Street Triple.

Tried one before buying the BMW. Loved the engine but not so impressed with chassis/suspension and brakes.

I think you need to stop worrying about engine size and think more of engine characteristics. Singles have the best low down torque but rev lowest and have least top end power. Fours are typically flat at the bottom, rev highest and have lots of power at the top end. Twins and triples sit in-between in a similar way.

There's also the state of tune of the engine; whether it's tuned for a relaxed ride or a high performance ride.

Where I'm going with this is it's not all about ccs.

The street twin is a fairly relaxed twin (54bhp) where's the smaller engined Street Triple is a more highly tuned triple (106bhp), so the characteristics will be quite different.

Thanks for that - and understood (which is really why I asked about this bike, given that it's probably more aligned with the kind of riding I have in mind).

As an aside, I hope this isn't getting boring. I still have to get through my DAS, so it's a little too soon for me to be testing bikes. However, it's really helping my general understanding of what's out there (and where my focus should be), and also throwing up some ideas that I wouldn't have considered.

Emotion plays a huge part in our choice of motorcycles.
    I've always maintained that if you don't look back at it over your shoulder when you've parked, or go into the shed with a cup of coffee just to look at it...you've bought the wrong bike. If you like the look of the Street Twin, and it gives you a bit of a tingle in the nether regions....go for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tifa View Post
    Emotion plays a huge part in our choice of motorcycles.
    I've always maintained that if you don't look back at it over your shoulder when you've parked, or go into the shed with a cup of coffee just to look at it...you've bought the wrong bike. If you like the look of the Street Twin, and it gives you a bit of a tingle in the nether regions....go for it.
    This.

Provided what floats your boat isn't either a 160+bhp sports bike or a 500cc two stroke from the early 90's, you're probably going to be OK on it.

Regarding the Triumph Street Twin, I've not ridden that particular model but I have done a good few miles on a Triumph Scrambler which is almost the same bike. I really like the Scrambler, it's not overly fast but it's a damn good B road fun bike. The engine is a cracker, lovely and flexible with plenty of low down power, doesn't go much quicker if you rev it but that just adds to its character. From what I gather about your requirements, I'd say it was a darn good shout, probably the best one yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Groundrush View Post
    This.

Provided what floats your boat isn't either a 160+bhp sports bike or a 500cc two stroke from the early 90's, you're probably going to be OK on it.

Regarding the Triumph Street Twin, I've not ridden that particular model but I have done a good few miles on a Triumph Scrambler which is almost the same bike. I really like the Scrambler, it's not overly fast but it's a damn good B road fun bike. The engine is a cracker, lovely and flexible with plenty of low down power, doesn't go much quicker if you rev it but that just adds to its character. From what I gather about your requirements, I'd say it was a darn good shout, probably the best one yet.
    Brilliant - thank you. It’ll be on my list for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Gyp View Post
    Tried one before buying the BMW.
    Oops, just realised it was the smaller capacity more highly tuned 67bhp version I tried but the rest holds true

My first big bike was a BMW f800r.

It ticks all the boxes and is ugly in a beautiful way.

ABS, enough power to scare but be manageable and lots of mod cons available if you need them.

Well, I made a decision last night. Given that I have about a month before my training and test on one of the school's 650's, I'm going to buy one of these things today to get some practice in between now and then. They're reasonably cheap, and have good reviews too.

Or this one, that's at a good dealer round the corner and is a low mileage used bike:

I'll just make sure I agree the basis of a buy-back with the dealer so it'll hopefully be like renting a bike for the month.

I think it makes sense, and it will hopefully boost my chances of passing considerably.
    Last edited by learningtofly; 17th August 2018 at 08:56.

Master
    Well, I made a decision last night. Given that I have about a month before my training and test on one of the school's 650's, I'm going to buy one of these things today to get some practice in between now and then. They're reasonably cheap, and have good reviews too.

Or this one, that's at a good dealer round the corner and is a low mileage used bike:

I'll just make sure I agree the basis of a buy-back with the dealer so it'll hopefully be like renting a bike for the month.

I think it makes sense, and it will hopefully boost my chances of passing considerably.

Yamaha all day long Tony, classic learners bike,allways in demand. Much higher chance of washing your face on return and frankly a nicer bike
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by higham5 View Post
    Yamaha all day long Tony, classic learners bike,allways in demand. Much higher chance of washing your face on return and frankly a nicer bike
    Steve
    My thinking too, Steve - it's only about 5 miles from me and I should be able to pick it up for about a grand. All being well I'll be down there in a couple of hours to sort it out.

If you buy the Bullit just make sure you do your pre ride checks thoroughly and check everything for tightness. Chinese bike manufacturing isn't at the same level as Japanese!

Quote Originally Posted by Thewatchbloke View Post
    If you buy the Bullit just make sure you do your pre ride checks thoroughly and check everything for tightness. Chinese bike manufacturing isn't at the same level as Japanese!
    I'm pretty sure I'll be buying the Yamaha, Duncan. I only want it for a month, and unless my son wants to buy it from me afterwards I want an easy sale back to the dealer (or privately, if push comes to shove). They seem to be pretty well regarded.

Success! A couple of years old, 6000 miles on the clock, FDSH, just serviced and pristine!

Should be picking it up at 5ish.

Success! A couple of years old, 6000 miles on the clock, FDSH, just serviced and pristine!

When are you booked in to Wheelie School?
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Craftsman

A great choice! Did my CBT on a YBR and liked it so much that I bought one the next weekend. It was a fantastic and suprisingly fun commuter bike for the 7 months between my CBT and final big bike test, and I sold it with little loss in about 3 days. It's a great learner bike, and yours look fantastic!

perfect learner bike, very well regarded and will sell very quickly when you have had your use. Looks in great condition too!

Just a quick update on this, but since I bought the YBR to practice on I've been hit quite hard by man-flu so have been resting up a bit. That said, I've still managed about 60 miles on it which, bearing in mind I'm deliberately riding in traffic rather than the open road, isn't too bad. I'm certainly much, much more confident than when I first sat on it (driving away from the dealer my heart was pumping away like mad!), and now I want to focus a bit on slow driving and manoeuvres, U-turns, lifesaver, etc as I know I'm going to be doing a lot of that when my training on the 650 starts. I'm also trying to get some daily practice in on my theory, both multiple choice and hazard perception, as I'll be furious with myself if I fail that when I take it in a couple of weeks.

I've also further refined my bike options, albeit that I'll probably test a few before buying. I'm still dead keen on the Street Twin - far more so than the Scrambler, so it's the clear favourite in terms of naked retro. However, I'm also still really drawn to the MT-07 as the other main option - a bit sportier, a bit more power despite the slightly smaller engine (750 compared to 900, but much higher bhp), and rave reviews time and time again. I think they're all good choices as a first large bike, and I'll definitely be seeking to test all three of them properly as soon as I have my test out of the way.

Anyway, my car comes back from JAZ today with a fresh major service and MOT, so I'll need to give it a bit of love too
    Last edited by learningtofly; 22nd August 2018 at 16:18.

OP...do your best to learn how to ride a bike with NO aids.
    Sure they can save your bacon at times, and some of them are nice to have, but there is NO substitute for your own riding ability and skill.
    If you have to RELY on rider aids, you've got the wrong bike.

Sure they can save your bacon at times, and some of them are nice to have, but there is NO substitute for your own riding ability and skill.
    Do you apply this philosophy to the Cars you buy as well?

Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard View Post
    Do you apply this philosophy to the Cars you buy as well?
    Yes.
    Saftey and electronic aids are fantatsic.
    But they are there to save your arse in an emergency, not to use as a crutch.
    There is NO electronic substitute for poor rider/driver skills.
    If you have to RELY on aids, you have a problem, and you need to develop your skill set.

ABS on a bike is a fantastic addition.
    Traction control on a normal 600 or 700cc bike is a nonsense.
    Clearly, if you can't manage a bike of that capacity without TC, then you're 'over biked' and need to cut your teeth on something sensible that is less likely to hurt you.
    Last edited by Tifa; 22nd August 2018 at 15:29.

Clearly, if you can't manage a bike of that capacity without TC, then you're 'over biked' and need to cut your teeth on something sensible that is less likely to hurt you.
    I shall be happy to take your enlightened advice once you can show me how fast you react when you go through an unseen diesel spill.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Yes.
    Saftey and electronic aids are fantatsic.
    But they are there to save your arse in an emergency, not to use as a crutch.
    There is NO electronic substitute for poor rider/driver skills.
    If you have to RELY on aids, you have a problem, and you need to develop your skill set.

ABS on a bike is a fantastic addition.
    Great, so what car do you drive then, Caterham, TVR?

Eh?

I've been continuing my research and review watching over the last week, and have had something of a revelation in terms of the short shortlist for testing. Somehow, I thought that the final choice would be down to the Triumph Sreet Twin and the Ducati Scrambler; however, I seem not to have noticed the very obvious third contender (especially bearing in mind my life-long Triumph love)... the Triumph Street Scrambler.

God, it's a thing of beauty

Well, I spent a wonderful couple of hours at Hertfordshire Triumph today, getting to know the Street twin, Scrambler and T100. All felt very manageable in terms if sitting on them, manoeuvring them and generally assessing the riding position and controls. Surprisingly, the one that made my heart beat the fastest was the scrambler, although the guy who was helping me thought that the T100 looked the best suited when I was on it. All three will be available to test, and it seems that I should be able to get my hands on any of them in matt black without too much difficulty.

Tomorrow I'm off to Ducati Aylesbury to have a look at their Scrambler(s). The Classic and Street Classic are the ones I like from what I've seen so far, but it'll be interesting to handle them all.

At this stage, i think it's definitely a naked retro bike for me, so the MT-07 has probably dropped off the list.

Theory test in less than a week, so I'm studying/practicing every day.
    Last edited by learningtofly; 30th August 2018 at 18:30.

Surprisingly, the one that made my heart beat the fastest was the scrambler, although the guy who was helping me thought that the T100 would result in them making the most money.
    Don't worry, I've corrected that for you

Quote Originally Posted by Gyp View Post
    Don't worry, I've corrected that for you
    Haha... you're probably right. It was the one that I was slightly less convinced about, although I have to say the finish is beautiful, and I do like the separate analogue tachometre. And the twin exhausts, one on either side. And...

Well, I spent a wonderful couple of hours at Hertfordshire Triumph today, getting to know the Street twin, Scrambler and T100. All felt very manageable in terms if sitting on them, manoeuvring them and generally assessing the riding position and controls. Surprisingly, the one that made my heart beat the fastest was the scrambler, although the guy who was helping me thought that the T100 looked the best suited when I was on it. All three will be available to test, and it seems that I should be able to get my hands on any of them in matt black without too much difficulty.

Tomorrow I'm off to Ducati Aylesbury to have a look at their Scrambler(s). The Classic and Street Classic are the ones I like from what I've seen so far, but it'll be interesting to handle them all.

At this stage, i think it's definitely a naked retro bike for me, so the MT-07 has probably dropped off the list.

Theory test in less than a week, so I'm studying/practicing every day.
    Well, the world is your lobster (so to speak)

So many good bikes out there!

An enviable position - but also bombarded with choices!

There are some bikes (I feel I have 3 such) where, when you park up................. you walk away and can't resist a backward glance at your bike. If you do that - you know you have bought the right bike !

If you have a mind to go slightly mainstream - I can really recommend the BMW R1200r. Does everything (scratch, tour etc). A very underrated bike.

Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post

If you have a mind to go slightly mainstream - I can really recommend the BMW R1200r. Does everything (scratch, tour etc). A very underrated bike.
    Seconded!

Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    Thirded

Quote Originally Posted by Thewatchbloke View Post
    Thirded

Nice bike. What is the wind protection like at speed with the screen?

Sent from my SM-G960F using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by oliverte View Post
    Nice bike. What is the wind protection like at speed with the screen?

Sent from my SM-G960F using TZ-UK mobile app
    A lot better than the previous two I tried! It came with a tiny smoked screen more for protection of the back of the instrument binnacle than anything else, so I ordered the next size up which was an improvement but still a lot of buffeting at 70mph. I ended up with two of the medium size screens due to buying a badly described one that I thought was bigger, so the screen it has now was originally on my mates 2015 R1200R LC, we swapped it over for one of my medium ones just before he p/x'd it for a different bike. This one is a vast improvement and you can sit comfortably at 70+ with minimum buffeting (I'm 6' tall) although once above 80 the buffeting starts to be felt again, however if you tuck down slightly (just a few inches) the buffeting stops at those speeds. It's a good compromise as I really didn't want a screen any bigger than this!

That's BMW is certainly a lovely bike.

I'm not ignoring the fact that there are some superb alternatives out there, but there are some things that are important in shaping my shorlist.

1) It needs to be lightweight and agile around town, narrow enough that I can filter through traffic, etc without too much difficulty, and easy for me to manoeuvre when stationary.
    2) I like retro-styled bikes. Not because I'm a hipster, but because they're a throwback to my younger days. That's what I like, and what I want.
    3) I'd rather have less power and use if fully, than more power that never gets needed. Even the relatively low-powered Triumphs will achieve 110-120 mph, but that's far less important than having power low down, which is where I'll need it.
    4) I'm not an a really tight budget, but by the same token I don't want to spend money unnecessarily. All the 1200cc bikes that are being suggested, particularly the Beemers, are far more than I need to pay.

I admit I do have a bit of a thing for Triumph, though
    Last edited by learningtofly; 31st August 2018 at 09:10.

Yamaha XSR700/900?

Quote Originally Posted by Jambo View Post
    Yamaha XSR700/900?
    That's a good shout in terms of styling, but both the XSRs and the Kawasaki Z900RS are taller than I would be comfortable with. I've read reviews in respect of both that have said that there are better options for shorter riders.

That's a good shout in terms of styling, but both the XSRs and the Kawasaki Z900RS are taller than I would be comfortable with. I've read reviews in respect of both that have said that there are better options for shorter riders.
    Tony if you get some decent boots this should give you close to an inch extra reach to the ground, not see any Alpine Stars with Cuban heels though

Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard View Post
    Tony if you get some decent boots this should give you close to an inch extra reach to the ground, not see any Alpine Stars with Cuban heels though
    Is it safe to ride in stilettos?

Damn. This is 1200cc and a slightly less advantageous seat height, but good god, it's lovely (the R NineT Scrambler).

The seat is actually very narrow, though...I think I may have to go sit on one.

Edit: Actually, it doesn't sound like it would be anything like as suitable for me as the others. Looks damn good though!
    Last edited by learningtofly; 3rd September 2018 at 12:17.