closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 46 of 352 FirstFirst ... 3644454647485696146 ... LastLast
Results 2,251 to 2,300 of 17581

Thread: More bike related stuff

Quote Originally Posted by skmark View Post
    .....I can't recall, have we seen pictures yet?????
    Rather than post any more of the dealer’s shots I’ll take some when I pick it up next week. There’s some nasty carbon wrap on the forks and air intake that’s being removed, and I’m not sure which of the seats I’m going to install initially either.

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Rather than post any more of the dealer’s shots I’ll take some when I pick it up next week. There’s some nasty carbon wrap on the forks and air intake that’s being removed, and I’m not sure which of the seats I’m going to install initially either.
    Very nice Tony! I did scroll back a bit and see your previous pics. Looking forward to seeing what you do with it to make it yours.

For my two penneth I think this is much more your sort of bike than the ST if you don't mind me saying. I've owned an ST myself and despite having an addictive sound I couldn't help feeling a bit like the bald old bloke in the convertible........if you know what I mean (done that too actually)? I've also sat on a Diavel and dreamed but then thought better of it.

I know exactly what you mean, and I am actually the bald(ing) bloke in the convertible myself! Anyway, I totally agree with you regarding style, and we must organise a ride once I’ve picked the 9T up!

I know exactly what you mean, and I am actually the bald(ing) bloke in the convertible myself! Anyway, I totally agree with you regarding style, and we must organise a ride once I’ve picked the 9T up!
    Sounds like a plan....looking forward to it.

Master

Bikesafe

May have been covered on here before but I attended a Lancashire Bikesafe course in Accrington last Sunday. Split day am led by lead trainer for car bikes and military for Lancashire talking through video scenarios.

Afternoon our group of 14 was slit ino 2 , one group did a 30 mile one on ride with a Police bike following. After this they gave you a 10 point ( not literally) critique on your ride. The other group did First Bike on the Scene, a sort of specific bike first aid covering helmet removal and being aware of internal bleeding.

Started at 09:00, 45 lunch , finished at 4:30. Goody bag with a buff small torch and signpost for further training.

Quality training from pro riders, all for £35. If you haven’t been on a course and theres some availability near you I would urge you to go. I passed my bike test 45 yrs ago, so I was due a refresher 👍🏍

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sweets View Post
    My Bonnie project starts tomorrow.
    That's when I am picking up the starting point bike (Cat N due to stolen/recovered with vandalism) from Copart, a 2013 Bonnie with under 7000 miles on the clock.
    Later in the year than I would have liked, it would be nice to be further along and ready to use it in the current weather.
    I'll just have to make do with my Mk 1 Speed Triple in the mean time, before I say goodbye to it.
    I shall keep you guys posted on the project progress
    Dave
    I would love to see some photos of the MK1 speed triple.
    In my view the most desirable bike new Triumph ever made.
    rough and ready but with loads of charm and character.

Quote Originally Posted by higham5 View Post
    May have been covered on here before but I attended a Lancashire Bikesafe course in Accrington last Sunday. Split day am led by lead trainer for car bikes and military for Lancashire talking through video scenarios.

Afternoon our group of 14 was slit ino 2 , one group did a 30 mile one on ride with a Police bike following. After this they gave you a 10 point ( not literally) critique on your ride. The other group did First Bike on the Scene, a sort of specific bike first aid covering helmet removal and being aware of internal bleeding.

Started at 09:00, 45 lunch , finished at 4:30. Goody bag with a buff small torch and signpost for further training.

Quality training from pro riders, all for £35. If you haven’t been on a course and theres some availability near you I would urge you to go. I passed my bike test 45 yrs ago, so I was due a refresher 
    Got one of these booked for the weekend after next. Really looking forward to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Gyp View Post

What you will notice, particularly blipping the throttle at the lights is the tendency of the boxer to roll slightly from side to side. This is simply because the crankshaft is longitudinal rather than transverse and nothing to do with the shaft. Chances are you'll never notice this effect on the move.

Enjoy!

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk
    The 1200 engine has a balance shaft to stop any side to side movement.

Quote Originally Posted by steptoe View Post
    Mine must be broken then, as it definitely rocks if you blip the throttle at a standstill!

Quote Originally Posted by Matt8500 View Post
    Mine must be broken then, as it definitely rocks if you blip the throttle at a standstill!
    Ditto

Ditto

As does mine!

Master
    Welcome to R9T owners group Tony!

All the bikes will rock sideways slightly as you blip them.

Beware the bike does not have a slipper clutch .. you need to blip on down changes from high revs if you don't want the back to lock up.

Look forward to photos - and agree the wrap needs to come off the forks.
    Are you getting the BMW original parts which were replaced with all the upgrades?

Master
    Tony I went onto the Lind site. If yours is the one still on then its fitted with a Sargent seat. They are very nice and very expensive perches. Definitely worth trying as comfort on longer rides as you get used to the bike, will be an important factor.
    Steve

No, all the R9T engines do it. Perhaps you're thinking of the newer water-cooled 1200's.

Quote Originally Posted by higham5 View Post
    Tony I went onto the Lind site. If yours is the one still on then its fitted with a Sargent seat. They are very nice and very expensive perches. Definitely worth trying as comfort on longer rides as you get used to the bike, will be an important factor.
    Steve
    Thanks Steve - the timing was awful as they'd JUST taken the seat off and replaced it with the standard black one. Unless they've already given it to someone I'm getting both and will have the brown put back on - I'm just not sure of the position yet.

Quote Originally Posted by I a n View Post
    Welcome to R9T owners group Tony!

All the bikes will rock sideways slightly as you blip them.

Beware the bike does not have a slipper clutch .. you need to blip on down changes from high revs if you don't want the back to lock up.

Look forward to photos - and agree the wrap needs to come off the forks.
    Are you getting the BMW original parts which were replaced with all the upgrades?
    Thanks Ian and noted regarding the clutch. I was brought up rev-matching so I do it as a matter of course (in fact, they kept telling me during my training that I might be making life more complicated for myself but I was far happier doing it).

I don't think I'm getting any original parts (save for the seat which I mentioned above) but I'll check that when I next speak to Lind. Most of the stuff is addition rather than replacement, though - I think it would just be the mirrors and tail section, both of which have been replaced with Rizoma alternatives

No, all the R9T engines do it. Perhaps you're thinking of the newer water-cooled 1200's.
    The R9t and new LC boxers have balance shafts, but they are there to smooth out the engine and minimise vibration, not eliminate the torque reaction.

All the boxers have the torque reaction they've always had, though it's not very pronounced. If you don't blip at the lights (and why would you, it's not a 1970's CZ with no idle screw in the carb?) you'd probably never notice it.

Having been brought up on a diet of British singles, blipping at the lights is a hard habit to break even all these years later!

Master
    Blog Entries
    Bonnie, Striple, R9 - I can see the flipping habit is developing nicely

Sent from my moto e5 play using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by JonRA View Post
    Bonnie, Striple, R9 - I can see the flipping habit is developing nicely

Haha... it’s worse than watches, if anything!

Give it a few months and he might even flip for an R9T Adventure just to change it up a bit.

Master
    Blog Entries
    On a more serious note, another vote for the Bikesafe programme. I learned in the 70s when there was no training and the test was riding around the block a few times until the examiner jumped out in front of you. I did the Bikesafe course up to the point of the advanced test. Although I didn't actually take the test I learned loads.

Master
    I did the Bikesafe course 17 or 18 years ago when it had just started and was free and also got you a 10% discount on your insurance.

I remember rocking up at the dealers on my NC30 where the course was taking place from just as it started pouring down. Had the briefing with the instructor going over the route etc and he told me to ride just like I normally would, obviously observing 30 and 40 limits but when we got to NSL roads he'd drift back if I was going too fast and if he was right behind I could go faster. Blue lights meant stop immediately because there was either something wrong with my bike or I was riding like a dick and the course would be over.

It was just the two of us so on the first stretch of open NSL A road I got up to 70 and he was right behind, 80 still there, 90, 100 then just shy of 110 and he was still filling my mirrors but that was about as fast as I wanted to go due to the rain. I spent the next half hour or so travelling at 80 to 90 in a 60 with the odd venture into three figures when overtaking, just like I normally would on that particular road, but with a cop on his company vehicle and full uniform following and oncoming cars flashing their lights because they thought I was getting chased by the fuzz. When we stopped there was the debrief and he only raised one particular overtake where there was an oncoming car. The ovetake was fine and perfectly safe but there was a chance of startling the oncoming driver and he felt it was better to wait for a clear opening rather than reinforcing any lunatic biker stereotypes.

I can't say I took much from the course other than the 10% insurance discount, but it was a cool feeling riding as fast as I wanted to with a cop in tow and made me realise that not all trafpol were out to get you for even the most minor of infractions. Just a shame there's so few of them on the roads these days and if I were to get caught doing 90 on that same road today it would probably be captured by a camera van and straight to court.

Master
    The first international road race of the season, the NW200 starts with three races this evening and it's live on iPlayer - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/live/nor...eland/48187691

Master
    Blog Entries
    Good call got it on now.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt8500 View Post
    Had a Trans Am 6.6 years back, and that used to do the same!!
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
    My mate ordered a new one of these today....

I just love this colour so 70s so 750ss

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

And so the project starts

12 hours of round trip in the car - Bristol (home) - Newport (to hire a bike trailer) - Sandwich (Copart site) - Bristol (drop bike at workshop) - Newport (return trailer) - Bristol (home - phew)

And I am now the rpoud owner of this rather unloved 2013 Bonnie

I will probably do a separate thread, but the idea (as posted previously) is to get as close to here as I can

Most of it will be done with bolt-on parts, the only true one-off custom challenges will be to keep the clean front forks (hopefully hiding LED projector headlamps behind an oval competition number where the headlight would be) and what I consider to be the rather nice twin, separate high-line pipes (which we will fabricate from SS tube and blast for the desert look), and probably a custom-made seat (as all aftermarket ones are very thin, top to bottom).

Dave

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sweets View Post
    And so the project starts

12 hours of round trip in the car - Bristol (home) - Newport (to hire a bike trailer) - Sandwich (Copart site) - Bristol (drop bike at workshop) - Newport (return trailer) - Bristol (home - phew)

And I am now the rpoud owner of this rather unloved 2013 Bonnie

I will probably do a separate thread, but the idea (as posted previously) is to get as close to here as I can

Most of it will be done with bolt-on parts, the only true one-off custom challenges will be to keep the clean front forks (hopefully hiding LED projector headlamps behind an oval competition number where the headlight would be) and what I consider to be the rather nice twin, separate high-line pipes (which we will fabricate from SS tube and blast for the desert look), and probably a custom-made seat (as all aftermarket ones are very thin, top to bottom).

Dave
    It will be interesting to see what you do.

Tony Archer is very good for seats.

https://tonyarcher.co.uk/home/

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by cinnabull View Post
    Will do Enoch. Last year when we went a couple of times there was always a couple of cop bikes on the A49 going into there, they hide in side roads etc and if you’re riding like a loon I guess they will have you. Cheers for the heads up though.

Stuart
    My mate called me and said it was heaving at the Raven...busiest he’s ever seen it...

Warrington, centre of the Universe and home of the Mighty Wire
    Quote Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
    My mate called me and said it was heaving at the Raven...busiest he’s ever seen it...
    He wasn't wrong Enoch. It was as busy as I've seen it for quite a while. There was quite a large Police presence as well, both on the approach roads and mingling with the crowd. Soon as you're up for a ride let me know and we'll see where we are going, always welcome to flirt out with us pal.

Hera ya go anyways, first up me ickle Street Triple RS and me mates S1000RR and Gixer thou.....

Stuart

The R9t and new LC boxers have balance shafts, but they are there to smooth out the engine and minimise vibration, not eliminate the torque reaction.

All the boxers have the torque reaction they've always had, though it's not very pronounced. If you don't blip at the lights (and why would you, it's not a 1970's CZ with no idle screw in the carb?) you'd probably never notice it.
    Compared to the BMW's of old which required both feet on the ground if you blipped the throttle while stationary, the 1200 is silky smooth. :D

Quote Originally Posted by Thewatchbloke View Post
    Having been brought up on a diet of British singles, blipping at the lights is a hard habit to break even all these years later!
    I know ! I used to have to do it as my bike had flat slide carbs which could get stuck if you didn't keep them moving - despite being the slides running on roller bearings. They also lacked a choke so you had to open and close the throttle a few times which squirted additional fuel in to start it up and used to rattle on tickover - plus of course drown if you opened the throttle too wide at low rpm. the price of racing equipment on the road...

Now my bike is FI no need of course and probably more likely to cause a stall than doing nothing but as you say a hard habit to break when slowing down or at the lights.

Compared to the BMW's of old which required both feet on the ground if you blipped the throttle while stationary, the 1200 is silky smooth. :D
    Oh they weren't that bad...

Perhaps after 35 years of boxer ownership I've got used to it.

(I'm still regularly riding one of my old boxers so have a point of reference)

Ride out to the Lakes last Saturday, very chilly first thing.

Sometimes those chilly but bright n sunny rides are the best. Especially when you are in such rewarding scenery.

Stuart

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Blog Entries
    Anyone with Carol Nash?

Beware they’ve increased a lot of premiums by massive amounts and then auto renewed lots of us,you can’t get through on the phone.
    I did once then they just put me on hold again until my battery run down.

Craftsman
    [IMG]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190517/1c0896007c8b649add324795cc7b083c.jpg[/

That is pure bike porn

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    He wasn't wrong Enoch. It was as busy as I've seen it for quite a while. There was quite a large Police presence as well, both on the approach roads and mingling with the crowd. Soon as you're up for a ride let me know and we'll see where we are going, always welcome to flirt out with us pal.

Hera ya go anyways, first up me ickle Street Triple RS and me mates S1000RR and Gixer thou.....

Stuart
    Looks like your friend rides his BMW well through the corners. Nice.

More bike related stuff

Quote Originally Posted by Time Cat View Post
    Looks like your friend rides his BMW well through the corners. Nice.
    Haha, yeah he tries to keep up with me TC . He smashes me on the straight bits though !!

Stuart

My old R1100 was pretty lively when being blipped at standstill - it was character, I thought.

My current bike is a Rocket 3 Tourer, and it does the same thing, but it isn't as pronounced as the BMW despite it being twice as big - I guess having all the pistons on the same side of the bike must help.

Anyway, I hero'd through a roundabout today on my way home and grounded a foot-board. Proper man, me.

The reality of the above is that I over-took a BMW on a dual carriageway which was leading to a roundabout. The BMW driver was clearly a little miffed about being overtaken by some old bike and put his foot down - I had planned to enter the roundabout and drift out to the outside lane to straighten the line but... When I got there, the lane was full of "gosh, that's quicker than anticipated" BMW. Coincidentally, the exact same words went through my head when I realised I carried a little more speed into the roundabout than intended, but remembered the words of one of the instructors when I took my bike test many years ago - "lean it over a bit more, the bike is almost always better than you are". So, I did. Like me, the bike is carrying it's weight closer to the floor these days and there was a little ground/lean-angle-indicator interaction.

I now know what a lean angle indicator is! It's a strip of very noisy metal which says "don't lean it any further - this bike is almost as lardy as you are!"

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bwest76 View Post
    Anyone with Carol Nash?

Beware they’ve increased a lot of premiums by massive amounts and then auto renewed lots of us,you can’t get through on the phone.
    I did once then they just put me on hold again until my battery run down.
    FYI if anyone is

I got the auto renew refunded,then phoned them as a new customer.

They then looked at my original policy and took it down £30.I said it was still to high eventually I got it down to a much more reasonable price.

Seeing as I had an accident a year ago which raised all my premiums house,car etc.I was happy with it.

Last year they stung me when I bought my current bike forcing me to take out a whole new policy.
    Unfortunately they all do that changing bikes mid policy can cost a lot.

No matter the sun is out so I will be going for a ride soon,there’s a village shop near Newbury with a nice atmosphere,outside tables and home food.

Craftsman
    Lot 98 would be a good mod for you Tony

https://dvlaregistrations.dvla.gov.u.../newcatalogue/

Quote Originally Posted by Enda View Post
    Lot 98 would be a good mod for you Tony

https://dvlaregistrations.dvla.gov.u.../newcatalogue/
    Bloody hell, good call!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dickbrowne View Post
    My old R1100 was pretty lively when being blipped at standstill - it was character, I thought.

My current bike is a Rocket 3 Tourer, and it does the same thing, but it isn't as pronounced as the BMW despite it being twice as big - I guess having all the pistons on the same side of the bike must help.

Anyway, I hero'd through a roundabout today on my way home and grounded a foot-board. Proper man, me.

The reality of the above is that I over-took a BMW on a dual carriageway which was leading to a roundabout. The BMW driver was clearly a little miffed about being overtaken by some old bike and put his foot down - I had planned to enter the roundabout and drift out to the outside lane to straighten the line but... When I got there, the lane was full of "gosh, that's quicker than anticipated" BMW. Coincidentally, the exact same words went through my head when I realised I carried a little more speed into the roundabout than intended, but remembered the words of one of the instructors when I took my bike test many years ago - "lean it over a bit more, the bike is almost always better than you are". So, I did. Like me, the bike is carrying it's weight closer to the floor these days and there was a little ground/lean-angle-indicator interaction.

I now know what a lean angle indicator is! It's a strip of very noisy metal which says "don't lean it any further - this bike is almost as lardy as you are!"
    I’ve noticed more and more cars seem to take it personally if you overtake them. (Especially on a Harley!)
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Quote Originally Posted by dickbrowne View Post

The pistons on a Rocket three are all in a line down the centre of the bike; the injectors on one side and the exhausts on the other. It’s actually the crankshaft that causes the torque reaction as both engines have a longitudinal crankshaft. I can’t think of a Japanese bike that doesn’t have a transverse crank.
    I’m not 100% sure but I’d guess the triumph also has a balance shaft to (partially) dampen out the torque reaction which is why it’s not so pronounced on the larger bike.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    I can’t think of a Japanese bike that doesn’t have a transverse crank.
    The old Honda CX500 was a V Twin in the Moto Guzzi style layout. Hey, and I also had one of them way back in the day. They were ultra reliable and a shaft drive to boot. The choice of many motorcycle couriers they were.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_CX_series

Stuart

Last edited by cinnabull; 21st May 2019 at 09:38.

The old Honda CX500 was a V Twin in the Moto Guzzi style layout. Hey, and I also had one of them way back in the day. They were ultra reliable and a shaft drive to boot. The choice of many motorcycle couriers they were.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_CX_series

Stuart

You’re right, I’d forgotten about the “plastic maggot”!
    My FIL had a silverwing too.

They were an oddball engine because the heads were angled in at the rear to keep the carbs closer to the bike. It added all sorts of complications as it was a pushrod engine. That was at a time when Honda seemed to make everything more complicated just for the sake of it. It was still a good engine and lots have been bratted in the last few years.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    You’re right, I’d forgotten about the “plastic maggot”!
    My FIL had a silverwing too.

They were an oddball engine because the heads were angled in at the rear to keep the carbs closer to the bike. It added all sorts of complications as it was a pushrod engine. That was at a time when Honda seemed to make everything more complicated just for the sake of it. It was still a good engine and lots have been bratted in the last few years.
    Goldwings also had longitudinal engines since the 70s and let's not forget the legendary Kawasaki two-strokes KR250/350:

Someone who lies about the little things will lie about the big things too.

Another of my old steeds, the Honda ST1100 was also a longitudinal crank I believe, it was a v4. Again with shaft drive. Myself and my partner had a lovely touring jolly on ours to the South of France and Italy. Comfy, economical and totally reliable. Panniers and a top box and tank bag gave us more than enough storage space. It was a fantastic bike, in fact, its the only one that made my missus cry when I sold it to get a Honda SP1. The good old days eh?

Stuart