closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 165 of 358 FirstFirst ... 65115155163164165166167175215265 ... LastLast
Results 8,201 to 8,250 of 17894

Thread: More bike related stuff

Quote Originally Posted by downer View Post
    Seems I spoke too soon about my NAV VI. The third one stared misbehaving this week and the dealer has replaced it again. 4th time lucky?

Honestly, I doubt this one will be any better as the fault must be fairly fundamental. Unless I'm doing something wrong by using it in all weathers and (generally speaking) leaving it attached the bike overnight.
    Local BMW are asking BMW UK to do an out of warranty replacement. Should find out next week.

Suggestion is that V6 onwards hardware builds should be ok (mine is V5), but you might just be about to tell me otherwise.

Not sure what the current version is but I've seen V7 for sale used

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Gyp View Post
    Local BMW are asking BMW UK to do an out of warranty replacement. Should find out next week.

Suggestion is that V6 onwards hardware builds should be ok (mine is V5), but you might just be about to tell me otherwise.

Stupidly I never looked at the version of the previous 3 units I've had, but they all failed in the same way.

The one I collected today is V8.

Stupidly I never looked at the version of the previous 3 units I've had, but they all failed in the same way.

The one I collected today is V8.
    When you refer to "version" are you referring to the hardware version? If so, mine (which I got several months ago) is V8 SA3 16GB 128MB MO PR BN, whatever that lot means.

p.s. I haven't experienced any problems with it, so far, but then it hasn't had the usage or exposure to the elements that I would have expected/liked.

Quote Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
    Trying to get motivated to start modifying my XDiavel.

For those interested Ducati have released a few new variants The Dark, a new S and the Black Star. Prices range from £16995 for the dark (my preferred model) up to £21295 for the top of the range Black Star. Power is up from 152 Bhp to 160bhp.

It’s difficult to see how the Black Star can cost over £4K more than the dark as the differences just don’t justify the price hike, but it is what it is.

My bike is a Dec 18 plate and has done 8.5k miles, so my initial thoughts were to get a new bike whilst mine still has a fair value left in it. But I really like my current bike, and as most of you know I can’t help tinkering. So to buy a new bike of this price and then start messing around whilst still under warranty isn’t a good idea (although it hasn’t stopped me in the past).

So instead, I’ve decided to mod my bike to my own tastes and spend the money that it would have cost me to change on bits n bobs.

A Norwegian chap on the Ducati forum is selling his XDiavel, and to do so he’s stripped all his carbon fibre parts off to sell... I’ve bought the lot and it arrived yesterday. He got his parts from FF carbon in Germany. I wanted even more carbon so I’ve ordered the parts he didn’t have from FF so that it all matches. 6 to 12 weeks delivery which is a pain.

I’ve also ordered some nice Roland Sands parts from Ducati Manchester (Black Friday) savings made them a bit of a bargain. And I’ve got other parts from Ducabike and Conquest racing.

I’m going to remove and reinstall my quick shifter, as I think I can do a better job of it than I did the first time and I’ll be stripping the bike right down to fit all the carbon.

Wheels and top and bottom yokes are going to be powder coated satin black.

I’m sure there will be other stuff along the way. But that’s about it for now...

Here’s a few pics of the Dark compared to my Bike.
    It's definitely evolving into something which is (or will be) very different to what it was, for the better IMHO

In exactly what way did it fail? Mine has battery issues. It literally needs charging before putting in the cradle or it just doesn't fire up until an hour into the ride. Ridiculous really when you consider the cost of a Garmin sat nav without the BMW label.

Quote Originally Posted by Stanford View Post
    When you refer to "version" are you referring to the hardware version? If so, mine (which I got several months ago) is V8 SA3 16GB 128MB MO PR BN, whatever that lot means.

p.s. I haven't experienced any problems with it, so far, but then it hasn't had the usage or exposure to the elements that I would have expected/liked.
    Yes, that's Version 8

Quote Originally Posted by manganr View Post
    In exactly what way did it fail? Mine has battery issues. It literally needs charging before putting in the cradle or it just doesn't fire up until an hour into the ride. Ridiculous really when you consider the cost of a Garmin sat nav without the BMW label.
    I think they call it ghosting.

The unit starts reacting like someone is prodding the screen.

Master
    I think they call it ghosting.

The unit starts reacting like someone is prodding the screen.
    Exactly. I'm sure moisture gets behind the screen somehow, and then confuses the touch sensors.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    This is what happens when you jump on a bike without any training (it would have helped if someone had revealed the wonders of countersteering, of course)...

That was me on the push bike !

Thats exactly what happened to my last (van) Garmin sat nav. I stored it in a dashboard flap all year round so I imagine the temperature variation got to it. Tried to use it on a Journey where I was already lost and it started pressing options etc all by itself. It didn't end well. Shame as it was still under warranty. Surely a BMW cradle system sat nav for an Adventure bike should be able to cope with all temperatures all year round....it what Adventure bikes do isnt it?

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk

Warrington, centre of the Universe and home of the Mighty Wire
    Enoch, cant wait to see the new n improved X. I cant wait for the spring to be fair as I dont go out in this weather. Roll on next year, blue skies, and hot smooth tarmac in N Wales

Stuart

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Tifa View Post
    Slight change in thread direction....(if you're up for it) ... do you have a favourite motorcylcing book?
    *Kindle fired up here...and ready to downoad*
    Ted Simon's 'Jupiter's Travels' is a great read.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

bit grim out...

790 R was going to be put away, but gripper tyres going on for next weekend. The good thing is that the roads are always clear, so hairpin fun is still possible.

How are you finding the 790R? Pics would be good!

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk

Having done the cold and wet for quite a few years and not needing my bike for commuting, I've put it away in storage until next year.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    This is what happens when you jump on a bike without any training (it would have helped if someone had revealed the wonders of countersteering, of course)...

It’s like the Yorkshire Dales in early April. Lots of folk that have forgotten how to go round corners?.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Excellent ride across from Oswestry to Bala this morning. Even a bit of snow on some of the tops. Ending in a familiar place...

Craftsman
    We were in the same car park yesterday.
    In the car watching the rain.
    Quick walk around the town.
    It was dead.
    Lots of shops closed till further notice.

Master
    Excellent ride across from Oswestry to Bala this morning. Even a bit of snow on some of the tops. Ending in a familiar place...

Well I wish I’d known😎. I did Oswestry, Bala, Barmouth, Harlech, Betws-y-coed and home...Most agreeable.

Master
    Well I wish I’d known. I did Oswestry, Bala, Barmouth, Harlech, Betws-y-coed and home...Most agreeable.

That's a great loop. I'm the best part of an hour from Oswestry before I get started on the welsh roads.

Master
    That's a great loop. I'm the best part of an hour from Oswestry before I get started on the welsh roads.
    I don’t get up early..🤪

Master
    I don’t get up early..浪
    I'll give you a shout next time I'm planning to head that way.

Master

I'll give you a shout next time I'm planning to head that way.
    👍

Just a little PSA for those interested in custom bikes.
    I have found (on insta) a little group called Project 58 Builds. Here
    Over lockdown they are realising their dream of turning themselves into a custom shop.
    They have now completed their third build, a late 1950s Triumph based Scrambler. It looks and sounds lovely.

If you go over to their site, you can buy a bandana, and the bandana comes with free entry into a prize draw, for the bike.
    £20 odd for the bandana and free ticket, and 580 tickets make the whole draw the bike.
    I have entered, and have no connection to them other than that.
    I just like seeing home-grown builders develop.
    Please do any homework you need to before buying a ticket.

If you do win as a result of reading this, you are a jammy git and you owe me a beer.
    Dave

Entered, cheers Dave. I needed to order another neck warmer soon so I may as well enter a competition at the same time.

I'll be able to wear it when I'm riding my new project which I'm hoping to collect next week (if my mate and his van is free).

If you're a thread regular then I think you've all seen it before!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Thewatchbloke View Post
    Entered, cheers Dave. I needed to order another neck warmer soon so I may as well enter a competition at the same time.

I'll be able to wear it when I'm riding my new project which I'm hoping to collect next week (if my mate and his van is free).

Doesn't look like that needs any work doing at all. Very tidy.
    Personally those early single pot calipers scared the bejesus out of me.

Ah, that's who it ended up with... lovely Duncan, and I enjoyed some great rides alongside this beauty.

Quote Originally Posted by kildareman View Post
    Doesn't look like that needs any work doing at all. Very tidy.
    Personally those early single pot calipers scared the bejesus out of me.
    That's why I'm not riding it home! The front brake is binding quite badly, enough to make the bike difficult to push so I'd rather collect it in the van and sort out the jobs I've identified once it's here with me.

Ah, that's who it ended up with... lovely Duncan, and I enjoyed some great rides alongside this beauty.
    Thanks Tony, I saw the picture with you sat on it! It's a lovely machine in exceptional condition but it does need a little recommissioning here and there to get it into A1 spec. I think it must have sat a while unused over in the states!

Master
    Thanks Dave, entered. Some nice looking bikes there.

To think - that was the BIG bike when it hit the streets.

The worlds first superbike! I’ve always had a thing for the K series CB750’s, pretty pedestrian by today’s standards but revolutionary back in the day. A well sorted one makes a reliable useable classic that’s still capable of delivering a thrilling ride. I can’t wait to get spannering ready for some better weather.

I've tried and failed to buy 2 motorcycles this week.

One, I couldn't get the figures to work*, and the other, where the price looked ok to start with, was already sold.

* Apparently the price of used bikes it's high because there is high demand, low supply. Apparently the trade in value of used bikes it's low because it's the wrong time of year and there's no demand...

Of the 20 or so bikes that have been sat in my Autotrader and eBay watch lists for the last 2-3 months, only 3 appear to have sold in that time, so they are not flying out the door.

And while I'm moaning, is it part of the sales training to conflate affordability and value? I suspect it is.

Gyp, when I was selling my GSA earlier this year the dealer I bought it from for about 20k two years prior (and new) were sending me automated text messages with "sell your bike today, best prices paid" etc so when I asked them how much when it was in for a service they told me "we managed to buy one in last week for 12k on px and that was a few months younger than your one so we wouldn't go to 12k for yours"

I sold it on ukgser for 14.5k or 15k in the end and could have got more on auto trader but didn't want the effort. Absolute chancers.

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Gyp, when I was selling my GSA earlier this year the dealer I bought it from for about 20k two years prior (and new) were sending me automated text messages with "sell your bike today, best prices paid" etc so when I asked them how much when it was in for a service they told me "we managed to buy one in last week for 12k on px and that was a few months younger than your one so we wouldn't go to 12k for yours"

I sold it on ukgser for 14.5k or 15k in the end and could have got more on auto trader but didn't want the effort. Absolute chancers.
    Considering I was looking at an £18.5k bike, I was expecting a more generous trade in offer than £5k for my 2015 12k miles R1200R Sport with full main dealer service history and all the accessory packages. After a fair bit of too-ing and fro-ing they felt that adding £500 would be sufficient to seal the deal. They were quite mide of the mark.

Considering I was looking at an £18.5k bike, I was expecting a more generous trade in offer than £5k for my 2015 12k miles R1200R Sport with full main dealer service history and all the accessory packages. After a fair bit of too-ing and fro-ing they felt that adding £500 would be sufficient to seal the deal. They were quite mide of the mark.
    Chancers. Mine had a full akropovic system Inc titanium headers, all the options you could spec even SOS, biketrac and a 3 year service pack. Meant f all when they were pricing it up.

Second GSA I bought new from the same dealer and would make me think twice about where I buy from next time.

They want their cake both ways on the transaction and can't see how short sighted they're being. £5k for a 2015 R1200R? No chance.

Chancers. Mine had a full akropovic system Inc titanium headers, all the options you could spec even SOS, biketrac and a 3 year service pack. Meant f all when they were pricing it up.

Second GSA I bought new from the same dealer and would make me think twice about where I buy from next time.

They want their cake both ways on the transaction and can't see how short sighted they're being. £5k for a 2015 R1200R? No chance.
    To be fair, I don't think it matters what dealer you choose, or what manufacturer. They all seem to value bikes as if they were in stock/unmodified form and - unless they want it themselves - are just scrabbling around for bids from other dealers. Selling privately is obviously the way to go, especially for a bike that's loaded like Wiley's GSA - it's definitely the wrong time of the year for private sales, though.

Extras are never worth what you’ve paid for them on cars or bikes, they just make it easier to sell.

I’ve noticed recently that dealers are offering far less for bikes than ever before but still asking top dollar on sales. Autumn and winter are obviously the worst times to sell and the offers will be even less because they’re likely to have the bike sitting in stock for the next four or five months.

It’s how it’s always been and always will be.

when trading in the best thing to do is remove any extras you added (exhaust , racks ,mirrors etc etc ) and sell them separate - put the bike completely back to standard.

dealers will give you nothing for any extras , they will however try to bump up a bike price they are selling by pointing out any on the bike they are selling :)

Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    Extras are never worth what you’ve paid for them on cars or bikes, they just make it easier to sell.

I’ve noticed recently that dealers are offering far less for bikes than ever before but still asking top dollar on sales. Autumn and winter are obviously the worst times to sell and the offers will be even less because they’re likely to have the bike sitting in stock for the next four or five months.

It’s how it’s always been and always will be.
    I had hoped that under current circumstances that dealers would be keen to do a decent reduction if there's no trade in, but still no. I think that as they have most of their staff furloughed (my local HD dealer has literally everyone on furlough other than the dealer principal that's running the entire dealership on his own) their costs over winter this year are a lot lower than most other years so the pressure is off

I see that J&S accessories are having a sale (not itself unusual), but that the Bell Moto III has re-appeared in stock in relatively large numbers for £159.99 in 3 colours, matte Titanium, Silver/black/blue and black/orange.
    It is a lovely lid (I have one) and great for the money. One above is linked to get you into the site.
    Dave

I get that when you spec a car or a bike the extras is money down the drain. I always go for the trim level with as many extras as possible included for that reason. Everyone knows the game is buy low sell high but you'd think that bike dealers would have a slightly different attitude at the moment when really they've gone further into the stereotype.

I'd expect to not get much on the bike I'm trading in but I'd also expect to get a decent deal on the one I'd be buying in turn for the same reason I'm not getting loads for my px. They seem to just want it all right now and I think the reason is the furlough pay keeping them afloat. If that wasn't around they would be voting arms off seven days per week.

When I was considering trading in my Ducati Scrambler about 18 months ago, the Ducati dealer actually told be that I'd be much better off selling privately and that I'd easily get £1-1.5k more than he would offer.......and I did. Didn't return to buy another Ducati either.......not because of that though.

Craftsman
    Haven't looked but going on what others have said I would expect to have to pay the dealer to take my 95k 10 year old Tiger 800!

Quote Originally Posted by kildareman View Post
    Haven't looked but going on what others have said I would expect to have to pay the dealer to take my 95k 10 year old Tiger 800!
    Will the speedo go back to zero in 5k miles?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by pugster View Post
    when trading in the best thing to do is remove any extras you added (exhaust , racks ,mirrors etc etc ) and sell them separate - put the bike completely back to standard.

dealers will give you nothing for any extras , they will however try to bump up a bike price they are selling by pointing out any on the bike they are selling :)
    Exactly this...... and be prepared to shop further afield than locally..

As an example, a good friend recently updated his GS1200 for an almost new GS1250. He removed absolutely everything he’d added on the 1200 and then got a price to swap for a 250 on the clock 1250. Local dealers were just having a laugh. But he persevered and finally got the deal he was after at a BMW dealer in Aylesbury. They delivered the bike last week, and collected his old one. On removing the new bike from the van it wouldn’t start... Flat battery.

A new battery was sent up the following week. I’m not sure on the cost to change, but knowing Ian as I do, he wouldn’t do a deal if he wasn’t happy.

Craftsman
    Will the speedo go back to zero in 5k miles?
    If only. Suspect not. It's all electronic with plenty of room to the left. Must watch the start up routine to see how many digits are there.

Good motorcycling books...

Running Out Of Road. Mark Williams.

Classic Bike P0rn

If you want to enjoy some first rate bike porn, download the auction catalogue from here :

https://www.handh.co.uk/auction/deta...museum/?au=485

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by W124 View Post
    If you want to enjoy some first rate bike porn, download the auction catalogue from here :

https://www.handh.co.uk/auction/deta...museum/?au=485
    In my head I've just spent a shed load of money. In fact I'm going to need a much bigger shed.