closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 226 of 357 FirstFirst ... 126176216224225226227228236276326 ... LastLast
Results 11,251 to 11,300 of 17840

Thread: More bike related stuff

Quote Originally Posted by Lammylee View Post
    After coming off the M60 we Rode from Littlebourough to Hebden Bridge to Haworth. the other half wanted to go to Ilkley after this so most of the return journey not as picturesque via Halifax then roads improved after Sowerby Bridge to Ripponden, Denshaw
    Did you go over Blackstone Edge and down through Cragg Vale or take the valley road through Todmorden?

Nice route although, as you say, the second half is more urban.

I’m feeling a little homesick now.

Well, I have a few Friday-Monday breaks from work coming up in October, and I've decided to use the first one for my first mini-tour on the Tiger. I've booked a little seaside studio in Whitstable, and will just ride around the Kent coast for a couple of days, stopping off wherever I fancy and taking the opportunity to visit on old mate who moved out to Canterbury a few years ago.

Can't wait - now I just need the weather to hold for me. I'm also hoping a 40L roll bag will be enough to hold what I need (a change of clothes for the evenings, toiletries and a few gadgets).
    Last edited by learningtofly; 23rd September 2021 at 13:28.

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Well, I have a few Friday-Monday breaks from work coming up in October, and I've decided to use the first one for my first mini-tour on the Tiger. I've booked a little seaside studio in Herne Bay, and will just ride around the Kent coast for a couple of days, stopping off wherever I fancy and taking the opportunity to visit on old made who moved out to Canterbury a few years ago.

Can't wait - now I just need the weather to hold for me. I'm also hoping a 40L roll bag will be enough to hold what I need (a change of clothes for the evenings, toiletries and a few gadgets).
    Old mate or old maid?

I used to do a week in France with just a tank bag so a 40l roll bag will be plenty.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    I started trail riding in about 1999; in 2006 we moved to Spain and inset up Trailespana which I ran for a couple of years before moving back to the UK.

I then competed in Enduros until retiring about four years ago.

Subject to COVID, I try to get back out to Spain a couple of times a year to ride my older routes.

It’s completely different to riding on the road and great fun. It is physically demanding though and you will fall off a lot. A 250cc bike is plenty big enough for almost anyone; you really do want light weight over lots of power.
    Ah ok sounds interesting, you also said the same as a few of the guys who I was talking to, a 250cc is more than enough for most people…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Martylaa View Post
    Ah ok sounds interesting, you also said the same as a few of the guys who I was talking to, a 250cc is more than enough for most people…

It really is, even a 125 is enough for most people. A lot of people coming from road bikes think that bigger bikes are better do end up with a 450 or bigger. Their attitude is that they ride a 1000cc bike so a 450 will be easy. It really isn’t but it’s hard to convince people.

When I ran Trailespana, I used wrf450s and had a couple of 260s too. I loved riding both bikes for different reasons; the 450 has so much torque so was an easy relaxing ride, whereas the 250 was a Rev machine which I rode like a hooligan. I was probably equally quick on either but I was riding every day, was very bike fit and knew the terrain like the back of my hand. I only ran 450s because that was what the customers wanted, most would have been better off on 250s.

There was one guy called Arno Bosch who was an ex professional GP motocross rider; now he could handle the 450!

Old mate or old maid?

I used to do a week in France with just a tank bag so a 40l roll bag will be plenty.
    Hah! Noted, thanks

Blog Entries

Great ride to Haworth via Hebden Bridge.
    Great picture, Hovis springs to mind!
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    Great picture, Hovis springs to mind!
    Thank you, yes it brought back memories of the advert to me although I think that was actually filmed in Dorset.

Did you go over Blackstone Edge and down through Cragg Vale or take the valley road through Todmorden?

Nice route although, as you say, the second half is more urban.

I’m feeling a little homesick now.
    Cragg vale, although the Other Half moaned about the bumpy road which led me taking her to the Triumph dealership and checking out a Tiger 900 GT Pro with adaptive suspension ( for her benefit )

Blog Entries
    Thank you, yes it brought back memories of the advert to me although I think that was actually filmed in Dorset.
    You're probably right, I never knew where it was exactly. Did you notice the two monks standing on the chimney? :-)
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

More bike related stuff

Cragg vale, although the Other Half moaned about the bumpy road which led me taking her to the Triumph dealership and checking out a Tiger 900 GT Pro with adaptive suspension ( for her benefit )
    The Hinchcliffe Arms at Cragg Vale was one my drinking haunts in my youth. It’s on a dead end road that only leads to the reservoir on the moors. We used to use it for flat out runs to see how fast our bikes would go.

I remember taking my mate’s RD400 up there when I’d just turned seventeen, it was a proper eye opener. Sad story though, he’d rebuilt it after his brother had been killed on it.

The upper half of Cragg road up to Blackstone Edge reservoir was always bumpy, the lower section less so. If you’d gone straight on, taking the right hand fork at the lights, it would have brought you back up to the reservoir; that’s a decent stretch of road. The drop down into Littleborough is slightly trickier than the climb up though.
    Last edited by Dave+63; 23rd September 2021 at 15:21.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Martylaa View Post
    Any of you guys into off-roading on the bikes, i don't mean Adventure bikes like a GS, was thinking more enduro bikes like KTM, Gas Gas or other brands, friends of mine have been going on about it and i'm intrigued...
    I've recently got in to off roading as my son wanted a bike and I wasn't prepared to let him have all the fun. I enjoy it far more than riding on the road. It's just more interesting, more challenging, more physical and a great way to just get away from everything for a while.

I'm nowhere near the expert levels of Dave but would echo everything he's said. A 250 is more than enough for most folk and being lightweight will matter a lot more than being fast. You will fall and get stuck more than you think and when you do you'll be glad of a light bike. I went for an old 2005 Yamaha wrf250 for no other reason than it was fully road legal, at a good price and was local. The road legal bit was important as I didn't want to have to get a van/trailer so with this bike I can ride short distances to local trails. It's been a good choice so far but it does seem like the Japanese bikes are less trendy with the middle aged trail riding mob. That's probably got more to do with the pro enduro circuit being all Husqvarna, KTM, Beta, Gas Gas, Sherco and mostly all 2 strokes.

Lovely day here in Sussex so first time out on a bike for 4 weeks. Had to be the Scrambler.

...and back to bed.....

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk
    Last edited by manganr; 24th September 2021 at 15:15.

Quote Originally Posted by manganr View Post
    Lovely day here in Sussex so first time out on a bike for 4 weeks. Had to be the Scrambler.

...and back to bed.....

I wish I could I'd been out all day too. However, I have about 25 miles-worth of fuel in the tank, and seemingly no way of getting any more

Quote Originally Posted by mowflow View Post
    I went for an old 2005 Yamaha wrf250 for no other reason than it was fully road legal, at a good price and was local. The road legal bit was important as I didn't want to have to get a van/trailer so with this bike I can ride short distances to local trails. It's been a good choice.
    The 2005 model was a sweet spot for me, it finally had electric start but still had the 10 litre fuel tank (later models had 8 litres).

It allowed me to complete a full 3 hour H&H enduro without having to put for fuel.

Even when they moved to the ally framed models in 2007, they weren’t really any better or lighter and even the latest, fuel injected models aren’t vastly superior.

I wish I could I'd been out all day too. However, I have about 25 miles-worth of fuel in the tank, and seemingly no way of getting any more

Was a lovely day here as well - no problem finding fuel either once out of town.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by manganr View Post

...and back to bed.....

That Scrambler with Ackra pipe in that colour looks lovely. I remember the Wisteria sales post. Glad you are enjoying it and picking it as No 1 choice.

Master

So here is the new beast

Well after 5 years of two stroke triple ownership, sub 30miles per gallon, the KH is gone , replaced by. a 50 year old thumper. Seller photo as I have just been going through it mechanically and I have only done about 20 miles . No I won't be going off road despite the tyres. The engine is lovely and torquey.

And yes Tony LTF was spot on with the video.

let me introduce a US Import XL250K1

Looks mint, Steve!

Master
    Looks mint, Steve!
    Cheers Tony , its been subject to a full resto I believe. Certainly the frame tank etc have been resprayed. I know the purists want patina, but I always like a tidy bike. Even the missus commented on how clean it was, which is always a good sign:)

Quote Originally Posted by djjuk View Post

Was a lovely day here as well - no problem finding fuel either once out of town.
    Well, I got in the queue at my local tesco at 7.30 this morning, with my dashboard telling me that I had 16 miles left in the tank. It was on 12 by the time I filled up and headed back home, and to tbh I was more than a little concerned that I might not make it as you never know how accurate (or not) the gauges are. It was a bit hairy being on a bike with cars trying to cut in and out from all directions, and I did have to tell one chap to f*ck off :)

Anyway, at least I can get out on the bike today!

What`s the forums collective thoughts on gap insurance on a new bike?
    Any useful experience to share?
    I can understand if you have finance and owe more than the bikes value, but is it worthwhile on a bike bought outright?
    I`ve had a quote, is it correct that the insurer will pay the original cost of the bike back to you even after it`s 3 years old (the period of cover)? By that time though a new similar replacement bike will have risen in price so you`ll still be short to fund a new machine in any case?
    If your bike is totalled and you haven`t got gap insurance you should get market value from your insurer for it, which would be similar to if you sold it on the open market, so you`re only losing the normal depreciation associated with buying new anyway..?
    I can understand the reason as to why it might be a good idea in some circumstances, but insurance companies are not in buisiness to help us, thay`re there for making money...
    Anyone know of good gap insurers out there to get a quote from, rather than the (probably) expensive dealer premiums quoted?

Quote Originally Posted by E_2_Right-Force View Post
    What`s the forums collective thoughts on gap insurance on a new bike?
    Any useful experience to share?
    I can understand if you have finance and owe more than the bikes value, but is it worthwhile on a bike bought outright?
    I`ve had a quote, is it correct that the insurer will pay the original cost of the bike back to you even after it`s 3 years old (the period of cover)? By that time though a new similar replacement bike will have risen in price so you`ll still be short to fund a new machine in any case?
    If your bike is totalled and you haven`t got gap insurance you should get market value from your insurer for it, which would be similar to if you sold it on the open market, so you`re only losing the normal depreciation associated with buying new anyway..?
    I can understand the reason as to why it might be a good idea in some circumstances, but insurance companies are not in buisiness to help us, thay`re there for making money...
    Anyone know of good gap insurers out there to get a quote from, rather than the (probably) expensive dealer premiums quoted?
    I consider gap to be mostly an insurance policy against Sod’s law. So I normally do go for it, normally via the dealer.

I think the only time I didn’t get round to it my bike (Superduke 1290r) got nicked and thrown in a pond and I took a £5k bath on the settlement.

Quote Originally Posted by Plake View Post
    I think the only time I didn’t get round to it my bike (Superduke 1290r) got nicked and thrown in a pond and I took a £5k bath on the settlement.
    Wow, that was really unlucky, and as you say typical of Sods Law.. (i suppose you could say both the bike and you took a bath....)

Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    You're probably right, I never knew where it was exactly. Did you notice the two monks standing on the chimney? :-)
    Filmed in Shaftesbury, Dorset I seem to remember.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

Gap insurance usually pretty expensive from supplying dealers
    Can easily be bought on line much cheaper…..
    Never bothered except once when mrs Goat took out a pcp plan for a new
    car just to get an enhanced deal.
    It was half the price that the dealer wanted.
    As an aside, we usually get an annual policy for damage excess when hiring a car as the car hire places charge stupid amounts when you buy it over their counters.
    Last edited by GOAT; 25th September 2021 at 12:11.

The more time I spend on this amazing machine - and I’ve done over 900 miles now - the more I love it. Such a good decision to change.

Quote Originally Posted by E_2_Right-Force View Post
    Classic!
    I love Jap bikes from the 80`s and 90`s.

And, thanks for posting the pic - i have a brake caliper here from a mystery Honda of that era and i now know exectly what model it came off, thanks!

That was handy!

I read the brakes were pretty poor on these, which is a shame given the wet weight of the bike is immense.

Looking forward to adding it to my little collection. I would like a slab side Suzuki GSX or a first year of production Fireblade too, but that will have to wait until next year.

Master
    Day 1 of NC500(approx) done... fantastic roads around the lochs - especially Loch Tummel near Cairngorms.
    We got the bikes shipped up to Edinburgh to make the start a bit easier.

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by I a n View Post
    Day 1 of NC500(approx) done...
    Have a great time, Ian - I must do that myself one day.

The new CCM Moro is calling me. Now spending more time in Devon, single cylinder makes so much sense.

I also think it looks amazing

https://www.ccm-motorcycles.com/configure-street-moto/

How does CCM build quality stand up over time?

Quote Originally Posted by Cavham View Post
    Agreed, I actually put a deposit down on one two weeks ago but deep down I want the CCM Blackout but they’re only making 180 of them and they are sold out.

So when Jack from CCM rang me to say they’ve had a cancelled order on a Blackout I’ve went for that, CCM make stunning bikes and it’ll be perfect for an easy ride out.

Gonna be a long few months wait.

Master
    Wow those extras really pile on the ££££££

Master
    The new CCM Moro is calling me. Now spending more time in Devon, single cylinder makes so much sense.

I also think it looks amazing

https://www.ccm-motorcycles.com/configure-street-moto/

How does CCM build quality stand up over time?

They’re a small British manufacturer and they’ve been overwhelmed by demand for what is a great bike, so expect delays and teething troubles.

I ordered the original spitfire and waited nearly two years for mine. Communication was woeful, and there were times when I thought they’d go under before they were able to fulfil orders, but we all eventually got our bikes and they are absolutely wonderful.

There have been bugs with the design but to CCMs credit they’ve sorted everything. The after sales is extremely good and they stand by their bikes.

I have no hesitation in recommending them, but don’t expect it to be like buying a Honda.

Craftsman
    The Centenario resting in the shed after having a centre stand & LFS fly screen fitted.

Wow!

When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    Wow!
    I bet that sounds epic when under load.

Only just over 100 miles round trip to the 'local' Ducati Owners Club branch meeting (more did turn up ) made all the more interesting due to range anxiety (not me): so many queues for fuel - absolutely crazy.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Just a little ride out today,I shall miss this when I get back to Blighty.

Quote Originally Posted by Stanford View Post
    Only just over 100 miles round trip to the 'local' Ducati Owners Club branch meeting (more did turn up ) made all the more interesting due to range anxiety (not me): so many queues for fuel - absolutely crazy.

Tried a mates new Diavel for a few days.
    Rear suspension was spine jarringly crashy as hell.
    Also, very little improvement to be had when fiddling with the Ohlins unit.
    To be honest I was shocked (SWIDT?) at how bad the back end was.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by bwest76 View Post
    Just a little ride out today,I shall miss this when I get back to Blighty.

Picos?

Quote Originally Posted by Tifa View Post

- - - Updated - - -
    The Gen 2 Diavel does not have an Ohlins shock as standard and, unlike the XDiavel which has a cruiser riding position (feet forward), bumps can be absorbed through the pegs/legs.
    I had my (stock) suspension set up for me by a suspension specialist and it's darn good considering the geometry.

I believe the S model of the Gen 3 Diavel does have an Ohlins shock which can, generally, be a bit firm, but can still be softened if necessary by using a spring suitable for the rider's weight.
    Last edited by Stanford; 27th September 2021 at 10:00.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tifa View Post

- - - Updated - - -

Picos?

Not quite,north of Tarragona.

I was reminded today of how good the little Suzukis are. Not a looker by any means, but the loan bike, a Gladius, has that great little smooth v-twin which was in the SV before it.

Quote Originally Posted by OldHooky View Post
    I was reminded today of how good the little Suzukis are. Not a looker by any means, but the loan bike, a Gladius, has that great little smooth v-twin which was in the SV before it.
    I trained and took my tests on a Gladius. Good, solid bike even if not exactly breathtaking to look at.

It's not, you're right, buy it reminded me of the pleasures of Japanese bikes. Not sure it's enough to tempt me this late in the season to hop over to a GSX-1000 or an Italian twin, but never say never!

Master
    I bought a little green thing to go with my big green thing.

Looks like the perfect pair to me Totty. Both look like heaps of fun in their own way!

Quote Originally Posted by uktotty View Post
    I bought a little green thing to go with my big green thing.

What a great pair! Interesting plate on the MR2 too.

I've often considered what works as a 2-bike pairing and often come up with bikes that are just too similar to justify both. Those are different enough that they work.

Quote Originally Posted by Gyp View Post
    What a great pair! Interesting plate on the MR2 too.

I've often considered what works as a 2-bike pairing and often come up with bikes that are just too similar to justify both. Those are different enough that they work.
    The Tiger and Thruxton R would have been a perfect pair, had I a garage to have kept them in :(