closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 190 of 354 FirstFirst ... 90140180188189190191192200240290 ... LastLast
Results 9,451 to 9,500 of 17667

Thread: More bike related stuff

Quote Originally Posted by djjuk View Post
    Took my bike in for a service this morning and took the opportunity to try out the new Tiger 900. I had a Tiger 800 before my T120 so was keen to see how the new one rode.

Initial thoughts after a cold, rainy ride.

The unmistakable triple sound and feel are still there although it sounds more twin-like at low revs.
    Seems to have a decent amount of torque lower down vs. the older 800.
    Just as easy to ride as the 800.
    It was a lot more vibey through the pegs and grips than I remember on my 800.
    Needs some bar risers although that could just be my shape!
    Still feels top-heavy.
    The new large TFT shows a lot of information and is clear to read. However - too much is shown and it is too big/distracting.
    The seat was rock hard!

So - in my very humble opinion if I was still looking at a tiger I would find it hard to justify the considerable extra for a 900 over a well-sorted late generation 800.
    Funny, isn't it - when I test rode both the 900 GT and Rally I felt quite differently in most respects:

Rideability - I thought they were much easier to ride than the 800, although the edges of the Rally's frame guards dug into the inside of my knees;
    Torque - better;
    Firing order - worse, I didn't particularly like the attempt to create more grunt at lower revs and emulate a twin; it wasn't necessary and created vibration;
    Gearing - felt like it needed another gear (7th);
    Seat - better and lower, could easily plant both feet which I couldn't do on the 800;
    Centre of gravity - better, I thought the 800 had a much higher centre of gravity;
    TFT - garish and a bit OTT.

I'm sure there was more but these were my stand-out impressions.

Well I'm getting impatient, after doing my CBT last week and knowing it's going to be at least 2 to 3 month before I get my licence and can get my GS on the road. I am off to look at a 125 tomorrow so I can get on the road straight away.

Sent from my Nokia 8.3 5G using Tapatalk

More bike related stuff

Quote Originally Posted by chris2982 View Post
    Well I'm getting impatient, after doing my CBT last week and knowing it's going to be at least 2 to 3 month before I get my licence and can get my GS on the road. I am off to look at a 125 tomorrow so I can get on the road straight away.

That’s what I’d do too. In fact what many of us will have done when that was what you largely had to do. There’s a lot to be said for building road craft on a 125.

Understand that, but if it's only for a few months, it might be worth getting an old YBR or similar for a few hundred quid rather than a newer bike as they tend to hold their value better.

My lad got a 2009 YBR 4 years ago for about £800 and it's still worth about the same. There are far more buyers at the sub-£1000 point too so moving it on will be easier.

Hmmm. Just looked on Autotrader and there are none for sale at that price - all more expensive. I suspect demand from curry delivery drivers has pushed up demand.

That MT-125 does look nice and only 300 miles too!
    Last edited by Gyp; 13th April 2021 at 07:08.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Gyp View Post
    Understand that, but if it's only for a few months, it might be worth getting an old YBR or similar for a few hundred quid rather than a newer bike as they tend to hold their value better.

My lad got a 2009 YBR 4 years ago for about £800 and it's still worth about the same. There are far more buyers at the sub-£1000 point too so moving it on will be easier.

Hmmm. Just looked on Autotrader and there are none for sale at that price - all more expensive. I suspect demand from curry delivery drivers has pushed up demand.

That MT-125 does look nice and only 300 miles too!
    100% agree on sub £1000 YBR’s or equivalent, but recon folk wary of public transport have snapped them all up. Having said that the bike in the photo looks ace. In profile, if you didnt know it was a 125 it would be hard to say what engine size it was.

Good hunting, if you buy at the right price and still sell in summer you shouldn't loose much money , think of it as renting the bike to further enhance and reinforce your training.

Steve

Ps If you nudge up to £1500 then theirs a fair few low milers out there.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/Motorcycl...g=200&_fosrp=1
    Last edited by higham5; 13th April 2021 at 07:59.

From memory I paid about £1800 for my YBR from a dealer, and sold it back to said dealer 4 months later for £1600 - basically £50 per month rental costs and there's no doubt that riding it got my through DAS at the first attempt.

its good to get as much experience as you can before your main test - esp getting some experience of being in a group with someone behind you ( i had a friend fail his part 2 because he was that stressed having the test guy behind him and knowing he was being watched his foot was shaking and tapping the rear brake most of the test - the test guy told him it was like following a mobile disco :) )

Master
    My MT 09 is still in the dealership with a broken oil cooler.

Yamaha told me yesterday that they have ordered the part under warranty but it won't take the 5 days they originally suggested, It now has to come from Japan instead and could be up to 10 weeks.

I've asked for a loan bike and they have said they don't have one.

They told me to speak to Yamaha UK so I did and they couldn't be less bothered and pointed me back to the dealership.

The guy at the dealer is incredibly rude and just suggested I should drive my car for 10 weeks!

Poor form on an 18-month-old bike which has been serviced but them twice.

I kicked off big time online and left reviews. The General manager is supposed to call me tomorrow.

Don't think I will be buying a Yamaha again!

Quote Originally Posted by bigweb View Post
    My MT 09 is still in the dealership with a broken oil cooler.

Yamaha told me yesterday that they have ordered the part under warranty but it won't take the 5 days they originally suggested, It now has to come from Japan instead and could be up to 10 weeks.

I've asked for a loan bike and they have said they don't have one.

They told me to speak to Yamaha UK so I did and they couldn't be less bothered and pointed me back to the dealership.

The guy at the dealer is incredibly rude and just suggested I should drive my car for 10 weeks!

Poor form on an 18-month-old bike which has been serviced but them twice.

I kicked off big time online and left reviews. The General manager is supposed to call me tomorrow.

Don't think I will be buying a Yamaha again!
    Frustrating experience. I’d imagine both your dealer and Yamaha have lost a customer going forward.

I suppose it all depends on what the damage is and if it’s still under warranty. They may not be responsible if it’s not a manufacturing defect.

Have you looked at aftermarket items or whether something else will fit?

Or have you tried Fowlers?

Master
    It's a warranty issue, not damage.

Fowlers are showing the part in stock but the Aftersales manager said he has to follow the process and can't just get the part in from anywhere as it's illegal and he could go to jail.

Safe to say I lost the plot when he came out with that nonsense.

I left some pretty scathing reviews online detailing what was said and have had an email through this morning to say the General manager will call me when he returns from annual leave tomorrow so will see what the script is then.

They have asked me to remove the reviews too.

Absolutely gutted..
    Bike looked fantastic,,. But it was already sold, and not recently either so that was a bit annoying. Supposedly sold within 45 minutes of the advert was put up, so why have a been looking at the ad for a week waiting for the shop to open. They could have a least took the ad down, or amend it to say it was sold. Luckily it was only half an hour away though

Absolutely gutted..
    Bike looked fantastic,,. But it was already sold, and not recently either so that was a bit annoying. Supposedly sold within 45 minutes of the advert was put up, so why have a been looking at the ad for a week waiting for the shop to open. They could have a least took the ad down, or amend it to say it was sold. Luckily it was only half an hour away though

Par for the course - always best to call first.

More bike related stuff

Fowlers are showing the part in stock but the Aftersales manager said he has to follow the process and can't just get the part in from anywhere as it's illegal and he could go to jail.
    Well that’s just bulls**t; as long as he’s using genuine Yamaha parts, it doesn’t matter where he gets them from. It’s certainly not illegal. Fake parts is another matter entirely but as long as it’s not safety related then he’ll not have an issue anyway.

Every cloud and all that, it’s a good reason to buy a second bike!

Edit : actually it’s clever wording; he can’t just buy from anywhere but Fowler’s are an authorised Yamaha dealer so he’d be buying from within the Yamaha network.
    Last edited by Dave+63; 13th April 2021 at 11:14.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    Well that’s just bulls**t; as long as he’s using genuine Yamaha parts, it doesn’t matter where he gets them from. It’s certainly not illegal. Fake parts is another matter entirely but as long as it’s not safety related then he’ll not have an issue anyway.

Every cloud and all that, it’s a good reason to buy a second bike!

Edit : actually it’s clever wording; he can’t just buy from anywhere but Fowler’s are an authorised Yamaha dealer so he’d be buying from within the Yamaha network.

You don't think it is possible that the Manager thought the OP as asking about fitting a 'pattern' part?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    You don't think it is possible that the Manager thought the OP as asking about fitting a 'pattern' part?
    No, I did mention they were a proper dealer etc. I would guess he would know them anyway as they are pretty well known.

He was talking like Yamaha UK were the police or something, all very bizarre.

Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    It’s possible but he should know that Fowler’s are an authorised parts supplier; they’re probably the largest in the UK!

No, I did mention they were a proper dealer etc. I would guess he would know them anyway as they are pretty well known.

He was talking like Yamaha UK were the police or something, all very bizarre.
    What he probably means is that it would be more difficult for them to get paid for the warranty work or that they may have to split the profit on the part with Fowler’s.

Master
    Absolutely gutted..

Ah well, plenty other nice 125s out there to drool over.
    I’d thoroughly recommend doing your Mod 1 on your 125 so you can experience test conditions and get an idea for distances for manoeuvres etc. For the sake of £15 and 20mins I found it invaluable when I then went to do it again on the A license as part of my DAS.
    In fact, I also did Mod 2 on my 125.... so by the time I got around to doing it all again on the bigger bike I was fairly confident having already passed them previously.
    Cheap enough to book & do yourself on your own bike.

Andy.

Quote Originally Posted by gorrie View Post
    I’d thoroughly recommend doing your Mod 1 on your 125 so you can experience test conditions and get an idea for distances for manoeuvres etc. For the sake of £15 and 20mins I found it invaluable when I then went to do it again on the A license as part of my DAS.
    In fact, I also did Mod 2 on my 125.... so by the time I got around to doing it all again on the bigger bike I was fairly confident having already passed them previously.
    Didn't even think that was possible, handy to know. thanks for that.

Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by djjuk View Post
    Agreed. I am keen to have a go on a KTM 790 Adventure to see how that compares. Even the 390 Adventure looks like it could be a fun bike!

The 390Adv is enormous fun. I had one for 4 hours when my bike was being serviced and I had a merry time on the lanes around the Chilterns. It does not have the puff for doing overtakes on NSL roads (mainly because I tend to ride more conservatively), but will move along with the flow of traffic without too much drama.

Quote Originally Posted by MakeColdplayHistory View Post
    Good to hear you and the bike remain unscathed, Enoch.

I had not such drama but today was the first day of a week's holiday and we're going away for the rest of the week so it seemed rude not to nip out for a quick spin.

what is that bike?

Looks like a fantastic Fantic!

Yep, Fantic Caballero. Handsome bikes.

That's what I did last year for the same reason. Tests here (and tuition) we're disrupted and backed up so I bought an 2012 YRB125 for £1000. It worked out really well for me. It's still in the garage with both wife and daughter thinking of doing their CBT.

Quote Originally Posted by Plake View Post
    Yep, Fantic Caballero. Handsome bikes.
    Fabric Caballero Scrambler 500 Deluxe to give it its full title (even if it's only a 450)

Master
    Didn't even think that was possible, handy to know. thanks for that.

Chris.

Amazing how few people do this, and instead continue on a 125 for years repeatedly forking out for a CBT bi-annually. Gets you the full A1 license meaning you get rid of the L plates, allows you to carry pillion and get on motorways if need be.

Quote Originally Posted by MakeColdplayHistory View Post
    Fabric Caballero Scrambler 500 Deluxe to give it its full title (even if it's only a 450)
    Thanks, its a great looking bike, what do you think of it?

Master
    Out and about on the Scrambler this afternoon. It's great that the temperature is starting to warm up.

Quote Originally Posted by samswatch View Post
    The 390Adv is enormous fun. I had one for 4 hours when my bike was being serviced and I had a merry time on the lanes around the Chilterns. It does not have the puff for doing overtakes on NSL roads (mainly because I tend to ride more conservatively), but will move along with the flow of traffic without too much drama.
    Sounds ideal. I only pootle around the Somerset A and B roads so this could be a good option for a second bike.

Quote Originally Posted by gorrie View Post
    Ah well, plenty other nice 125s out there to drool over.
    Cheap enough to book & do yourself on your own bike.
    Wish we'd thought of this before - I've suggested it to the lad.

This might be a daft question, but do you have to do another theory tests when progressing from A1 to A, or from A2 to A?

The gov.uk site (https://www.gov.uk/book-theory-test) specifically says that you don't need another theory to go from A1 to A2 but omits any mention of the other 2 options

Craftsman

Safe to say I lost the plot when he came out with that nonsense.

I left some pretty scathing reviews online detailing what was said and have had an email through this morning to say the General manager will call me when he returns from annual leave tomorrow so will see what the script is then.

They have asked me to remove the reviews too.
    The problem you have hear is the yamaha warranty process
    Yamaha supply the waranty parts direct to the dealer
    Then they pay the dealer the warranty labour rate to fit it
    If yamaha europe have no stock but fowlers do
    I would suggest you contact yamaha customer services and explain the problem and point out that fowlers have stock
    Then its up to yamaha uk to do the right thing

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by scooby View Post
    The problem you have here is the yamaha warranty process
    Yamaha supply the waranty parts direct to the dealer
    Then they pay the dealer the warranty labour rate to fit it
    If yamaha europe have no stock but fowlers do
    I would suggest you contact yamaha customer services and explain the problem and point out that fowlers have stock
    Then its up to yamaha uk to do the right thing

That’s very likely true but failing to comply with the Yamaha process is hardly likely to end with the parts manager in gaol!

Pick my stop gap bike up tomorrow.
    Was just having a general search on my phone,, seen an ad that went up for a 2008 CBF125 14 minutes earlier, sent the seller a message and it turns out he was just on the next village.
    Drove straight over, paid deposit, collecting tomorrow.

It's gonna be perfect for getting some time in on the road getting ready for my test in the next 2/3 month.

:)

Pick my stop gap bike up tomorrow.
    Was just having a general search on my phone,, seen an ad that went up for a 2008 CBF125 14 minutes earlier, sent the seller a message and it turns out he was just on the next village.
    Drove straight over, paid deposit, collecting tomorrow.

It's gonna be perfect for getting some time in on the road getting ready for my test in the next 2/3 month.

:)

Great news; get out, get practice and enjoy.

Summer’s nearly here!

Master
    Great buy that , you will lose no money , AND gain a huge amount of confidence and road sense.

Craftsman
    Anyone know much about riding abroad during these covid times ? Our 2020 Barcelona MotoGP trip was postponed until this year, we are supposed to be setting off 6 weeks this coming Sunday.
    Presuming Boris allows foreign travel what are the requirements ? I presume borders in EU countries will now be manned and travellers will be stopped at border crossings ? I've heard that it is a requirement to produce a negative covid test no older than 72 hours to be allowed across borders, if this is the case we would need to obtain a test in France and then another one in Spain, are these easy to organise ?
    We've been riding to MotoGP races in Europe for the past 20 years, last year was a real downer not being able to travel so if allowed we're all eager to go somewhere this year

I managed to pass my Mod1 and 2 today after training the previous 3 days.

I found it a great way to get it done with it all fresh in the mind. The training for the Mod 1 helped for the Mod 2 and vice versa.

Now the bike buying fun starts!

Master
    Blog Entries
    caffeine and machine was ramned when I went past this afternoon,but I had allready stopped for a fantastic coffee elsewhere so didnt stop.

Stratford was also busy,I stopped to look in the watch shops.

I must have seen at least 20 watches that I wouldnt mind owning,I also asked if I was still on the list and he took my name again (ive got 2 hopes I reckon,Bop Hope and no Hope).

Ive now done about 400 miles on my new/old VFR1200 still getting used to it,its to fast if I want to keep my licence,its also just effortless,the DCT is without doubt brilliant.

I have also been slowly adapting it to suit my needs.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigstam View Post

I found it a great way to get it done with it all fresh in the mind. The training for the Mod 1 helped for the Mod 2 and vice versa.

Excellent news, congratulations!

Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigstam View Post

Well done! The biking community on TZ just keeps on growing.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Gyp View Post
    Wish we'd thought of this before - I've suggested it to the lad.

This might be a daft question, but do you have to do another theory tests when progressing from A1 to A, or from A2 to A?

The gov.uk site (https://www.gov.uk/book-theory-test) specifically says that you don't need another theory to go from A1 to A2 but omits any mention of the other 2 options
    Might be worth double checking with the local riding school.. it didn’t affect me as I did my A about a year after doing my A1 so my original Theory was still valid. From memory, I think it’s something like you can go 1 step up at a time without needing to resit the theory.. so A1 to A2 or A2 to A.
    As I was going A1 to A the school did mention that I’d have to get theory done again if it expired before I passed both Mod1/2 on the DAS.

Andy.

Thanks, its a great looking bike, what do you think of it?
    I'm really enjoying it but should point out that, apart from the CB650 I did my Mod1/2 on, it's the first bike I've ridden in 30+ years.

It's great for what I want to do at the moment which is basically blatting round the lanes of Cheshire and the Peak District but I can see a time (possibly fairly soon) when I buy something else to go further/faster.

Unless you want to go much further, it’s probably the most fun you can have.
    Bigger and faster is often actually less fun on normal roads.
    My XJR1300, whilst very old school, is far too big to be fun on smaller roads, something like yours or a KTM 390 Duke would be much better for country lanes and will be ridden closer to its limits which always adds to the fun factor.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    Unless you want to go much further, it’s probably the most fun you can have.
    Bigger and faster is often actually less fun on normal roads.
    My XJR1300, whilst very old school, is far too big to be fun on smaller roads, something like yours or a KTM 390 Duke would be much better for country lanes and will be ridden closer to its limits which always adds to the fun factor.
    In our days the most versatile was probably the Suzuki DR 350. What a fun bike that was!
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Bike transport companies - anyone recommend any please without be going through the whole thread.

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    In our days the most versatile was probably the Suzuki DR 350. What a fun bike that was!
    Agreed, which is why old 350-500 singles always fetch good money.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Bike transport companies - anyone recommend any please without be going through the whole thread.

thanks

they did a great job for me.

http://thebikebus.weebly.com/

thanks
    I used Sam’s motorcycle transport to pick up the R9T - would recommend him.

Just back from a pootle on the GS- haven’t ridden it much recently so enjoyed a half day out.