closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 199 of 357 FirstFirst ... 99149189197198199200201209249299 ... LastLast
Results 9,901 to 9,950 of 17840

Thread: More bike related stuff

Quote Originally Posted by manganr View Post
    The ZX9R is such a great and underrated bike. Sporty yet capable of touring comfortably. Something I'd be happy to ride now. At least while you were sat at the side of the road you could look at your bike and smile that it was great when fuelled up!
    I completely agree; I bought a new C1 in 1998. It was probably the best bike I’ve ever had; great for a Sunday blast, capable as a track bike and, with a double bubble screen, a fantastic tourer.

I still miss it!

Quote Originally Posted by E_2_Right-Force View Post
    ^^^Are they as loopy as the reputation suggests?

Lofts the front end with ease just off the throttle?
    They have the ability to be very loopy...but very controllable via the wrist and or electronics.
    Super smooth engine and gearbox, fuelling and quickshifter/autoblipper are just superb.

Quote Originally Posted by manganr View Post
    The ZX9R is such a great and underrated bike. Sporty yet capable of touring comfortably. Something I'd be happy to ride now. At least while you were sat at the side of the road you could look at your bike and smile that it was great when fuelled up!
    Couldn’t agree more, had 2 over the years (c2 and F1p) and did track days and toured all over Europe 2 up. Still think they look great too.

Here’s me at Pembrey back in the day

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MakeColdplayHistory View Post
    Thanks. I'm tempted to try a pair of cycling shorts under my riding jeans so will have (at least some) extra padding but on me, rather than on the bike.

I know a motorbike seat and a mountain bike saddle are different but I've already got the shorts so I can try them at no cost.
    I did this during an Italian holiday, the small padding from the cycling shorts really eased the numb bum syndrome. As outlined above I know a few people with Airhawks and they all rate them.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by higham5 View Post
    I did this during an Italian holiday, the small padding from the cycling shorts really eased the numb bum syndrome. As outlined above I know a few people with Airhawks and they all rate them.

Steve
    Moto Skiveez work well, at a price.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt8500 View Post

Great pic! I had the E1 too but in Green as any kawasaki should be! ;D

Master
    If anyone is looking for panniers, the Bumot range are very good. I rode from Paisley to London with them last week in the rain and completely dry inside.

Master
    Anyone know anything about custom seats?
    The seat on my Caballero (and everyone else's it seems) is good for about an hour after which it gets quite uncomfortable. It's not a bike you'd buy to ride all day anyway but I'd prefer it if my stops were dictated by something other than bum pain.
    I don't think they're a big enough seller to buy an upgrade off the shelf so I guess I'll have to send mine away so I'd prefer a quick job.

So... recommendations for custom seats that are great looking, superbly comfortable, inexpensive and quick turnaround?
    Hurley Customs seem to get good reviews.. not cheap though (I contacted them about potentially reshaping and recovering a standard Triumph seat, it was a few hundred quid). I think they are always pretty busy.
    The local Triumph dealer up here in Edinburgh used them for the seat of their Speed Racer ‘build-off’ bike last year.

Quote Originally Posted by E_2_Right-Force View Post
    ^^^Are they as loopy as the reputation suggests?

Lofts the front end with ease just off the throttle?
    I had the full titanium system and tune on my old 1290R (RIP) and it was mental like almost no other bike.

One of my guilty pleasures was to put it in third at 70mph then pinning the throttle… it’ll wheely up to…something inappropriate. By mistake. Obvs.

I miss it :(

^^^Sounds like my kinda` bike.

I was promised wheelies like that back in the eighties when i bought a GSXR1100, the reality was nowhere near, they just didn`t have the sort of power to weight ratio required back then.

Lofting the front just off the throttle at 70 in 3rd gear, that takes serious torque and a light bike.
    Awesome.

**edit
    Actually, i have had a bike that would wheelie in every gear - a road-legal KTM500 `crosser.
    It was an evil, obnoxious handful, but great fun wheelieing from one corner to the next on the backlanes of the local area - until i overdid it one time, flipped it and ended up in hospital for 2 weeks with a busted foot...

After that i put it back to off-road trim and tried my luck on a couple of MX tracks where it was even more unmanageable, demanding and impossible to control at anything mroe than a whiff of throttle.
    Total respect for the pro MX riders of that era who used these things in anger.
    Last edited by E_2_Right-Force; 4th June 2021 at 05:55.

Warrington, centre of the Universe and home of the Mighty Wire
    Anyone know anything about custom seats?
    The seat on my Caballero (and everyone else's it seems) is good for about an hour after which it gets quite uncomfortable. It's not a bike you'd buy to ride all day anyway but I'd prefer it if my stops were dictated by something other than bum pain.
    I don't think they're a big enough seller to buy an upgrade off the shelf so I guess I'll have to send mine away so I'd prefer a quick job.

So... recommendations for custom seats that are great looking, superbly comfortable, inexpensive and quick turnaround?
    You could check out Tony Archer, he’s based at Huddersfield. My Diavel seat was done by him, and it was like an armchair, so comfortable. Then I had my S1000RR seat reprofiled and slightly narrowed to let me get my feet on the ground easier. It still remained comfy. Heres a link to his site.

https://tonyarcher.co.uk/services/bike-seats/

Hope it helps

Stuart

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Tifa View Post
    It's very much an individual thing.
    What one person finds comfortable, another will find it agonising.
    I've fitted gell inserts to several seats and recovered with success.
    Luimoto do a great range of covers and the quality and fit is superb
    https://www.luimoto.com/?c=1 ... Attention to detail on LM seats is second to none. For instance, the Itallian flag colours are in the correct order on both sides. Ebay covers tend not to do this.
    It doesn't look like they do them for the Caballero. That's not surprising as I don't think it's sold in North America. I'll drop them a line just to check though.

Quote Originally Posted by cinnabull View Post
    You could check out Tony Archer, he’s based at Huddersfield. My Diavel seat was done by him, and it was like an armchair, so comfortable. Then I had my S1000RR seat reprofiled and slightly narrowed to let me get my feet on the ground easier. It still remained comfy. Heres a link to his site.
    Hope it helps
    Stuart
    Thanks - I'll check it out. I've also seen Caulfield Leather in Hyde which is slightly closer to me but Huddersfield isn't that far away and I'd certainly be happy to drop off/collect there.

It doesn't look like they do them for the Caballero. That's not surprising as I don't think it's sold in North America. I'll drop them a line just to check though.

Thanks - I'll check it out. I've also seen Caulfield Leather in Hyde which is slightly closer to me but Huddersfield isn't that far away and I'd certainly be happy to drop off/collect there.
    Have you tried rotating the bars a few degrees forward? Doesn't sound like much, but I've done it to get the right fit with bikes over the years, and it transfers a little of the weight and alleviates some of the weight and buzz felt an hour+ into a ride.

Journeyman

Hope it helps

Stuart

Out of interest, how much did Tony Archer charge for one of his 'comfort' seats?

One thing I do like about the SHAD brackets on my panniers is they don't really stand out when the panniers are off.

Sent from my Nokia 8.3 5G using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    No fuel warning malarkey on a bike! plunging your left hand towards the fuel tap as the engine starts to stutter, only to find that you did not reset it last time you used the reserve is an experience any self respecting rider needs to have lived at least... a few times!
    Ha ha! M11 out of London, Sunday morning, hung over and heading for Bishops Stortford to meet up with some friends. With the girlfriend on the Z1, that spluttering sound was not what I wanted to hear.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Warrington, centre of the Universe and home of the Mighty Wire
    Quote Originally Posted by K-Z1R View Post
    Out of interest, how much did Tony Archer charge for one of his 'comfort' seats?
    The one on my Diavel was on when I bought it so I dont know. One of my mates also had a Diavel with a standard seat, and mine was way nicer looking and more comfortable though, especially on long runs. I know it was one if his as he puts a sticker underneath to show he has worked in the seat, and when I had my S1000RR done he remembered doing it. He had put different foam or gel in it, and it had a sort of quilted finish. Very nice job to be fair.

On my S1000RR from memory I think it was around £40. However this was more a reshaping job with some of the foam actually being removed to sort of lower the seat height as I’m a bit if a shortarse. I didnt notice any difference in the comfort level once done though. The seat still kept its original shape and unless you put another next to it you’d never know it had been done. Hope this helps.

Stuart

Hope it helps

Stuart

I read this with interest as I've been looking for someone to pop a gel insert into my CBR650R seat, sadly after contacting them I was saddened to hear they no longer accept work that has to be posted back, such a shame as his work looks excellent.

I read this with interest as I've been looking for someone to pop a gel insert into my CBR650R seat, sadly after contacting them I was saddened to hear they no longer accept work that has to be posted back, such a shame as his work looks excellent.

Brian.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by BRGRSP View Post

Brian.
    Thanks for that. I have never had any reply from them. I have a couple of BMW comfort seats and the standard seats as well. Was thinking of getting him to tweak the standard seats, but will look elsewhere if he won't post.

Quote Originally Posted by OldHooky View Post
    Have you tried rotating the bars a few degrees forward? Doesn't sound like much, but I've done it to get the right fit with bikes over the years, and it transfers a little of the weight and alleviates some of the weight and buzz felt an hour+ into a ride.
    I'll give it a go. I'm obsessive about bar and control position on my mountain bikes but the bars feel just right already on the Caballero. I will try it at least though.

Super “track” day yesterday at Odiham. Got instruction from Jenny Tinmouth who was very complimentary.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Would it be a daft idea for a chap to buy a Ducati Hypermotard SP as a fun weekend bike?

Let me be more specific. Would it be a daft idea for a clinically obese, arthritic, asthmatic, ridiculously unfit chap in his late 50's who is also blessed with a nearly 28" inside leg and a long term neck injury to buy a Ducati Hypermotard SP as a fun weekend bike, when he hardly gets chance to put any miles on the bike he's got at the moment?

Err, asking for a friend.

And a "review"

https://youtu.be/T55D7pOdN0E
    Last edited by Gyp; 7th June 2021 at 09:16.

Cool

DO IT!!!! just makes sure you have insurance for any injuries due to sky/ ground/ hedge interface

Quote Originally Posted by Gyp View Post
    Would it be a daft idea for a chap to buy a Ducati Hypermotard SP as a fun weekend bike?

Let me be more specific. Would it be a daft idea for a clinically obese, arthritic, asthmatic, ridiculously unfit chap in his late 50's who is also blessed with a nearly 28" inside leg to buy a Ducati Hypermotard SP as a fun weekend bike, when he hardly gets chance to put any miles on the bike he's got at the moment?

And a "review"

No!

Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    No!
    As in, no, it wouldn't be a daft idea, or no, I^hhe shouldn't do it?

More bike related stuff

As in, no, it wouldn't be a daft idea, or no, I^hhe shouldn't do it?
    The only thing daft you’re doing is asking stupid questions!

No, it wouldn’t be a daft idea, obviously!

I love the look of the hypermotard and did consider buying one a while back.

I’m currently looking at Husquvarna supermotos, particularly from around 2006/7 although this ones from 2012.
    Last edited by Dave+63; 7th June 2021 at 09:29.

Craftsman
    Seat height could be an issue
    Its quite a tall bike with firm suspension so not that forgiving to get you feet down
    Bonkers as hell though

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by scooby View Post
    Its quite a tall bike with firm suspension so not that forgiving to get you feet down
    Bonkers as hell though
    So what you're saying is that the additional rider mass would be a benefit in mitigating the additional 100mm of seat height over the current bike...

So what you're saying is that the additional rider mass would be a benefit in mitigating the additional 100mm of seat height over the current bike...
    Thats exactly how I read it too Gyp, what colour are you going for?

I had a test ride on the New Monster at the weekend, I was very impressed, very light and flick-able and you'd have no problem with seat height on that

Bonkers as hell though

Excuse to buy some MotoX style boots for extra sole height protection

Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard View Post
    Thats exactly how I read it too Gyp, what colour are you going for?
    :-)

They keep it simple by only offering one colour

The one in the picture is a slightly discounted 2021 model. The 2022 has "SP" written on the side and a slightly revised gearbox bearing to make selecting neutral easier.

If I'm honest, it would be far too impractical with my dodgy neck and little legs (even with the low seat option) and I don't want a repeat of the 5-day ownership of a Harley Road King Special episode from earlier this year.

It definitely falls into the want rather than need category.

Super looking bikes and a great crack, but the "additional rider mass" (or 'excess' mass) could result in the preload needing to be adjusted such that the seat height would increase, negating any potential positive effect on seat height of the rider mass

Quote Originally Posted by Stanford View Post
    Super looking bikes and a great crack, but the "additional rider mass" (or 'excess' mass) could result in the preload needing to be adjusted such that the seat height would increase, negating any potential positive effect on seat height of the rider mass
    Spoilsport

Let me be more specific. Would it be a daft idea for a clinically obese, arthritic, asthmatic, ridiculously unfit chap in his late 50's who is also blessed with a nearly 28" inside leg and a long term neck injury to buy a Ducati Hypermotard SP as a fun weekend bike, when he hardly gets chance to put any miles on the bike he's got at the moment?

And a "review"

If you can, by hook or by crook, get your foot down before the bike tips, then yes, absolutely. The Aprilia Duodorsa is pretty good too.

It would be worth your while trying a Fantic too. Not in the same price, power or tricky bits category, but you might be surprised just how much fun it could be. Neevesy is a big fan.
    https://www.motorcyclenews.com/bike-...crambler/2019/

Quote Originally Posted by OldHooky View Post
    It would be worth your while trying a Fantic too. Not in the same price, power or tricky bits category, but you might be surprised just how much fun it could be. Neevesy is a big fan.
    Possibly, but that's rather like the Triumph Street Scrambler that I've got at the moment.

The Ducati seems more like the sort of bike that could pick a fight in an empty room.

Bonkers as hell though

I'd say it would without question be an issue, unless you have boots with cuban heels, Ian. I'll buck the trend and say bad idea on the basis that you'd be moving it on before very long.

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    I'd say it would without question be an issue, unless you have boots with cuban heels, Ian. I'll buck the trend and say bad idea on the basis that you'd be moving it on before very long.
    Oh go on. It'd look awesome with panniers and a trailer!

Master
    If you can get one foot on the floor and still operate the gear or brake lever then no problem.

If not then there's always this -

https://youtu.be/ZJniYZ77xqg

And a "review"

No, you only live once, so may as well enjoy it, even its only to open the garage door and look at it!

On a separate note and a bit of a long shot, has anyone dealt with Value Bike Centre in Norfolk, as they may have a bike I want to buy and as I cant get up there wanted to know if anyone had dealt with them before.

Picked up this 3k mile R1100S today. Will sit nicely next to my 10k mile R1100GS in the garage.

Master
    Saw a one-make race of these accompanying the British MotoGP at Donington in about 2005/2006. Was the best sounding race I’ve ever heard.

Quote Originally Posted by j0hnbarker View Post

Picked up this 3k mile R1100S today. Will sit nicely next to my 10k mile R1100GS in the garage.
    That is gorgeous

More bike related stuff

Thanks!

It is the cleanest bike I have owned. Everything looks new, so it must have been in a living room or dehumidified garage.
    Last edited by j0hnbarker; 10th June 2021 at 20:19.

Master

That Sir is a credit to its previous owner and Im sure will bring you miles of smiles. The 1100S seems to be a very underated bike, there was one on UKGSER in BMW Motorsport colours similar to the Mamola paint job, it was a stunner.

Steve

That looks super tidy

To me there is so much so right about this as an ex VFR750 owner, this is my motorcycle nirvana. Lovely.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt8500 View Post

Finally. A bit of relief from Adventure Bikes, Tourers & Cruisers
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57