timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 259 of 357 FirstFirst ... 159209249257258259260261269309 ... LastLast
Results 12,901 to 12,950 of 17848

Thread: More bike related stuff

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bigweb View Post
    Yes just a mirror thankfully.

I figured I would be able to just lift the bike like a deadlift....... realised it was really heavy and decided against it.

I ended up doing the thing where I turned around backwards and lifted it that way.

Really enjoying the bike though. Changing the suspension settings turns it from a great tourer into something resembling a sporty naked bike. The engine is an absolute gem!
    A lad I knew had a Rocket three like Enoch on here. He bought it in his seventies. He dropped it three times , all slow speed jobs eg fuel station parking etc. used to take three people to lift it up for him! At 290 kgs it even dwarfs your kTM for weight lifting :)

Bit of advice guys, I pick up my new bike on a Friday pm but on the Friday am the bike is getting its new MOT.

It will be insured, but I can not tax it until the DVLA get updated which can be up to 48 hours.

Is it acceptable to pick the bike up ride it home and get the tax ASAP once dvla is updated?

I can just imagine getting pulled for no tax.

Should I wait or is this acceptable to ride straight home

Rich

Quote Originally Posted by Thewatchbloke View Post
    Pedant alert! The original Honda Dream was the 1960's C72 pressed steel frame OHC 250 twin, a larger version of the 1960's 125cc Benly twin.

I owned a very early 1959 CB72 Super Dream 250 twin (with 305cc CB77 barrels pistons and heads, naughty) when I was a learner driver. I was told it was a press bike from when Honda was making the push into the UK marketplace but with nothing to back that claim up. Registration VAN 667, where are you now?
    Yeah, I meant this one

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Cavham View Post
    Bit of advice guys, I pick up my new bike on a Friday pm but on the Friday am the bike is getting its new MOT.

It will be insured, but I can not tax it until the DVLA get updated which can be up to 48 hours.

Is it acceptable to pick the bike up ride it home and get the tax ASAP once dvla is updated?

Rich
    Depends how far long / cameras you have to get home. If its a long way either delay or van it. If its local then , “do you feel lucky “ I would certainly ride it home.

If you own it , you can SORN it .

Rich
    48 hours?
    In my experience the DVLA database gets updated with a new MOT status almost instantly - usually by the time i have ridden the twenty minutes home from the testing station it has been done so i have been able to tax it then, so in your case you can probably tax it when you collect the new bike even if it was MOT`d only an hour or so beforehand.
    The bad news is that you`ll be paying a full months tax on a bike you`ve only owned since the 24th of the month..

Quote Originally Posted by j0hnbarker View Post
    Left foot down, right foot on brake.
    My default setting too.

Quote Originally Posted by Chinnock View Post
    My default setting too.
    +2, save for when there's a negative camber on the left (I have to be particularly careful with the Tiger, as it's relatively tall and I'm relatively short).

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    +2, save for when there's a negative camber on the left (I have to be particularly careful with the Tiger, as it's relatively tall and I'm relatively short).
    Dead right Tony, Ive seen 6 foot plus riders go over when they underestimated the camber :)

Quote Originally Posted by E_2_Right-Force View Post
    48 hours?
    In my experience the DVLA database gets updated with a new MOT status almost instantly - usually by the time i have ridden the twenty minutes home from the testing station it has been done so i have been able to tax it then, so in your case you can probably tax it when you collect the new bike even if it was MOT`d only an hour or so beforehand.
    The bad news is that you`ll be paying a full months tax on a bike you`ve only owned since the 24th of the month..
    Well decided to hire a van, I don’t fancy taking the risk on reflection , but thanks for your input guys

Anyone owned or ridden an MV Rivale?

Quite tempted by one for the mountain hairpins. Not overly won over by the headlight shape, but the rest of the bike has some lovely detailing and it's a bit different.

Master
    Having had a test ride a few weeks ago, I decided to trade my Multistrada for a V85TT. It's obviously very different and definitely a heart rather than head type of bike. Pootling about on this one gives me a great sense of freedom and relaxation, for some reason - and that's got to be good.

Just got to get a standard windscreen now, rather than the barn door "touring" job.

Quote Originally Posted by downer View Post
    Having had a test ride a few weeks ago, I decided to trade my Multistrada for a V85TT. It's obviously very different and definitely a heart rather than head type of bike. Pootling about on this one gives me a great sense of freedom and relaxation, for some reason - and that's got to be good.

Just got to get a standard windscreen now, rather than the barn door "touring" job.
    Very tempted to try one of those.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Gyp View Post
    Very tempted to try one of those.
    It needs a decent amount of time on a test ride. Initially, it felt a bit odd with very light steering and of course the characteristic shake and rumble from the engine, but i soon realised I was grinning like a cheshire cat and swooping from corner to corner, without breaking any speed records.

When I am old(er) and grey(er) I reckon this one may still be with me.

It needs a decent amount of time on a test ride. Initially, it felt a bit odd with very light steering and of course the characteristic shake and rumble from the engine, but i soon realised I was grinning like a cheshire cat and swooping from corner to corner, without breaking any speed records.

When I am old(er) and grey(er) I reckon this one may still be with me.
    That's sort of the experience that I get with the Triumph Street Scrambler; big grim whilst not going particularly fast. As I've been running airhead boxers for the last, err, 36 years or so I'm familiar with more characterful engines.

The V85TT looks like it might fit in the mid point between the Street Scram and the R80 (though with a bit more power than either of them) and give a decent retro touring experience.

I'm taking the Triumph to France in a couple of weeks. Let's see how that works out :-)

Master
    Day 4 of our Euro tour .
    Roads from Foix to Millau viaduct amazing.
    We're in Aix-en-Provence now and heading towards Alps.

Blog Entries

That looks very nice.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Master
    Back from the ABR Festival at Ragley Hall. What a cracking weekend. The bikes, the adventure trail, food, music, and just about everything was just superb. Highly recommended if you haven't been before.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Some food for thought on this thread.....

https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...ghlight=helmet

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Groundrush View Post
    I’m looking for a new lid and it got me curious. What are you all using?
    I have two. A Shoei full face which I really like, and a LS2 Valiant flip which I really shouldn't like but do! (Also an Arlen Ness flip but less said about that the better. Was an impulse purchase at the BMF!)

Usually wear the LS2 Valiant these days, I like the way it flips all the way over.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

I am a Shoei fan, Glamster round town and Neotec 2 when doing distance. Flip up so much easier when you wear glasses and the sun visor is brilliant. Best helmet I have.

New bike day tomorrow, bike is 100% original, unrestored 2 owner bike with less than 10,000 miles. 5 weeks of work (not by me) getting it all road ready as it has been off the road for a long time. MOT in morning and should be with be by the afternoon. I am looking forward to getting in it and going for a ride tomorrow night.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

New bike day tomorrow, bike is 100% original, unrestored 2 owner bike with less than 10,000 miles. 5 weeks of work (not by me) getting it all road ready as it has been off the road for a long time. MOT in morning and should be with be by the afternoon. I am looking forward to getting in it and going for a ride tomorrow night.

Wow! Now thats what I call a new bike day! That looks lovely. A proper dream bike. Very envious.
    Ray

Very nice and the last ones were the best.

It looks awesome and is still more than enough for todays roads.

Enjoy!

I'm very happy with my Shoei Neotec 2.

Chris

Sent from my Nokia 8.3 5G using Tapatalk

I use a Neotech 2 too. Very versatile lid and would recommend one. My most used lid though is probably the Shoei GT Air II. Brilliant, comfy quiet and top quality.

After years as an Arai customer I’ve got a Schuberth SR2. Lighter, better ventilated, quieter and with a better visor change system than the RX7 GP’s I used to use.
    Last edited by andy tims; 28th June 2022 at 10:01.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by spareparts View Post
    Back from the ABR Festival at Ragley Hall. What a cracking weekend. The bikes, the adventure trail, food, music, and just about everything was just superb. Highly recommended if you haven't been before.

[

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Yup me too, what a fantastic weekend, where else can you
    Listen to live bands
    Test ride the latest exotica from all the major brands
    Go for a sidecar ride off road
    Sit in a tent and chat to Nick Sanders ROW legend over a brew
    Take your life in your hands and try the off road route
    Lastly enjoy free teas and coffees from 06:00 till 10

All for under a hundred quid!

Master
    The Schuberth C4 had lots of problems. The C4 Pro sorted most of them out, but the reputation damage had already been done. I have a C4 Pro Carbon, and it's been superb. I also had 2 x C3 Pros before (these are still sold as current range) and they were excellent too - one of them saved my life. The new C5s look promising. Schuberth have been making the F1 helmets for several years, and I think their quality is excellent. FWIW, I've also had several Shoei's (XSpirits) which were very good with great graphic designs (Tomizawas, Mooneyes, Kenny Roberts, Edwards, etc). I also have a VR46 Mugello AGV Corsa R with switchable LCD visor which is my favourite non-flip sportsbike lid. Stick to the big brands and I think it's hard to go wrong - just make sure the lid fits your head well.

Quote Originally Posted by andy tims View Post
    After years as an Aria customer.
    That must have been music to your ears!

Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    That must have been music to your ears!
    Very good
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

After years as an Arai customer I’ve got a Schuberth SR2. Lighter, better ventilated, quieter and with a better visor change system than the RX7 GP’s I used to use.
    Interested in this as an almost lifelong (since 1988) Arai user. Are the sizes similar/same as Arai as seem to be some bargains around ?

Quote Originally Posted by MB2 View Post
    Interested in this as an almost lifelong (since 1988) Arai user. Are the sizes similar/same as Arai as seem to be some bargains around ?
    I was Arai medium but take large in Schuberth.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

I’ve always had an Arai RX7 in various guises since passing my test.

Latest is an RX7-GP Leon Haslam rep. Liked the design and it was on sale at the best price I had seen.
    Also had the series 1 Shoei X-Spirit, which was supremely comfortable, had a better visor system than the RX-7, and was very aerodynamic.
    Then I bought (Still have it and use it) BMW Sport Integrale Carbon helmet- which at 950gm was and IS way lighter than other ‘light’ helmets. A joy to wear on holidays.

Bought a Shark Evo-1 a couple of years ago, and although I might have misgivings about a thermoplastic helmet - have to say that it is a great lid and an absolute bargain from Helmet City!

Latest acquisition, is a BMW system 7 carbon, which I’m not too enamoured with! Visor system is poor, and it is a big,wide helmet (and is a bit painful in the forehead).

Anyone looking for a proper flip-up helmet - I’d recommend looking at the Shark Evo series.

I was Arai medium but take large in Schuberth.
    Thanks- probably a bit risky mail ordering one for me then. Helmet City have some at 149 if you fancy a spare.

Master
    MOT done on the Bonneville today, clean sheet… but it was embarrassing to see that it had only done 300 miles since the last one.

It’s actually only done 570 miles in the last 3 years (I’m not taking responsibility for anything beyond the last 14 months though).

Really do need to make a point of getting out a bit more.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MB2 View Post
    Thanks- probably a bit risky mail ordering one for me then. Helmet City have some at 149 if you fancy a spare.
    If you’ve got PayPal and they accept returns pay via PayPal and they will cover return postage cost up to £15 ( if you’ve opted in )
    https://www.paypal.com/uk/webapps/mpp/refunded-returns
    Last edited by lewie; 1st July 2022 at 17:07.

Had a brief test ride on this on Sunday morning at the Moto Legends breakfast meet.

Quite impressive with the 85KW engine. Circa 200 mile range & in "Canyon" mode with max engine braking it actually had 1 mile more range left after my short ride. As expected the instant acceleration was very good, if a bit surreal with no accompanying noise. For those doing mainly town riding an eBike has to be a good option. Always in "the right gear" and easy to ride slowly & smoothly.

The Zero's are still too expensive though IMHO. The bike I rode was just under £22k RRP.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Had a brief test ride on this on Sunday morning at the Moto Legends breakfast meet.

Quite impressive with the 85KW engine. Circa 200 mile range & in "Canyon" mode with max engine braking it actually had 1 mile more range left after my short ride. As expected the instant acceleration was very good, if a bit surreal with no accompanying noise. For those doing mainly town riding an eBike has to be a good option. Always in "the right gear" and easy to ride slowly & smoothly.

The Zero's are still too expensive though IMHO. The bike I rode was just under £22k RRP.
    My son usually organises these events for ML, he missed this one due to being out touring in the Pyrenees.

More bike related stuff

I’ve not tried the Zero but did test a Harley Livewire last year. If it wasn’t for the £30k price tag, I’d have one in my garage; it had enough range for my usual Sunday morning blast and the 1066 cafe where we stop for a brew and a sandwich now has two rapid charging points.

When they’re not so pricy, I can definitely see myself owning one.
    Last edited by Dave+63; 4th July 2022 at 17:03.

As someone who does a lot of riding in town, that would scare the pants off me (in respect of both cars and pedestrians not knowing you were coming, but the latter in particular).

As someone who does a lot of riding in town, that would scare the pants off me (in respect of both cars and pedestrians not knowing you were coming, but the latter in particular).
    Not sure how much noise has an impact on car / van / lorry drivers noticing bikes in town. At low speeds, unless you have a VERY loud bike, I suspect not much.

As for pedestrians walking off the pavement in front of me. I've had that happen several times on regular bikes.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

... As for pedestrians walking off the pavement in front of me. I've had that happen several times on regular bikes.
    Precisely my point, Andy - imagine how much that risk would increase with no engine noise to signal your approach. It would scare me sh*tless.

Precisely my point, Andy - imagine how much that risk would increase with no engine noise to signal your approach. It would scare me sh*tless.
    I’m not so sure about London but out here in normal towns, a quick prod of the horn button would resolve that problem.

Gave my new arrival a clean yesterday. This was pre-wash, and as you can see, it was filthy.

Complete torque monster and a fantastic sound.

I have a massive road trip later this week to check out a new bike, if it's as good as the seller says it is I'll update with some photo's.

Exciting times for me because I've wanted one of these since forever!

Master
    100 miles today in. N Wales👍❤️

Another incoming but this has been on order for sometime. Still waiting on exhaust but changed indicators, air cover, forward controls, lay down plate and new seat. It was well worth waiting for the grey….
    It feel like I have gone from watches to bikes now.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
    100 miles today in. N Wales❤️

A familiar spot...

In fact, I'm heading up there tomorrow.

Master
    A familiar spot...

In fact, I'm heading up there tomorrow.
    Enjoy…

Will be out and about again tomorrow, but not sure where yet🤪