closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 211 of 354 FirstFirst ... 111161201209210211212213221261311 ... LastLast
Results 10,501 to 10,550 of 17667

Thread: More bike related stuff

Two bikes is definitely the right option Tony. Like watches it's always good to have a choice depending on where you're going and what you're doing.

I'm running two bikes at the moment, only because Mrs MCH has an ER6F but hasn't passed her tests yet - somebody has to keep it ticking over for her.
    I can also see a two (or more) bike future for myself as the medium/long term plan is to get some touring done and I can't see myself either:
    • touring on the Caballero
    • finding a tourable bike that's as much fun blatting round local lanes as the Caballero

Quote Originally Posted by MakeColdplayHistory View Post
    I'm running two bikes at the moment, only because Mrs MCH has an ER6F but hasn't passed her tests yet - somebody has to keep it ticking over for her.
    I can also see a two (or more) bike future for myself as the medium/long term plan is to get some touring done and I can't see myself either:
    • touring on the Caballero
    • finding a tourable bike that's as much fun blatting round local lanes as the Caballero
    Precisely my thinking. Plus, the TTR is just too superb a bike (in looks and performance) not to suffer seller's remorse.

Master
    I’ve been wanting to return to 2 wheels for a bit following a 10 year hiatus- I’ve had bikes on and off since I was 17 - usually off road style
    A 19 plate SWM 650 dual sport has appeared on gumtree and has caught my eye- I was thinking some cheap summer fun- 10k on the clock
    Obviously not up there with the Ducati’s but 2 wheels none the less

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    I'm beginning to think that two bikes might be an option - either under properly fitted covers or within a double-sized Ridehide-type solution. This isn't good
    To be honest, 2 bikes isn't the right answer.

The right answer is n+1, where n is the number of bikes you currently have

Well, I'm a bit torn now as I've found an approved, dealer-supplied 2018 Tiger 800 XRt with just 2000 miles on the clock and a saving of £5k on buying the equivalent 900 GT Pro new. It's obviously missing the latest upgrades (the one that's bothering me a bit is that it has 2-pot Brembos at the front, instead of 4), but that saving would almost pay for my preference of keeping my TTR.

Well, I'm a bit torn now as I've found an approved, dealer-supplied 2018 Tiger 800 XRt with just 2000 miles on the clock and a saving of £5k on buying the equivalent 900 GT Pro new. It's obviously missing the latest upgrades (the one that's bothering me a bit is that it has 2-pot Brembos at the front, instead of 4), but that saving would almost pay for my preference of keeping my TTR.
    I would most definitely take the 800 even if it were to be my only bike. If you get to keep the TTR as well then it’s a very easy decision indeed imho.

My experience of owning adventure bikes is that they aren’t there to thrill. My very flash R1200GS was about 1% more fun than my humble Honda NC700X for instance.

Master
    Sounds like it could be a good solution. The brakes thing is a bit of a non-issue IMO.

No brainier for me, try the XRT out and then you get to keep the TTR if you like and then buy the XRT.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by downer View Post
    Sounds like it could be a good solution. The brakes thing is a bit of a non-issue IMO.
    Tony I would agree with Downer, modern bikes are over braked for most mortals , only showing their limits after multiple track day laps. If you have done bike safe think back to how often the pros use their brakes.

If the solution allows you two bikes it will be twice the fun, and as your biking choices change, you can part ex the bike that least meets your needs at the time and pick up a bike that takes you in a new direction whilst maintaining the elements of one of your current bikes eg touring / Sunday backlanes etc.

With only one bike every decision becomes so much harder eg parting with tangerine dream.

Be careful though 2 becomes three, three………

HTH

Steve

The twin pot brembos are certainly up to the job; the latest Triumph Trident only has twin pot brakes upfront.

If it really bothers you, you can always buy a pair of four pot calipers to retro fit.

Frack it - sold yesterday

Journeyman
    Just got myself a Suzuki v-Strom 650. :-) Only rode it around London so far, but seems to go well.

I’ve got a feeling it will be a little boring to ride but I think that’s a perfect problem for a first bike! Should do everything I need it to do and then I can change it when I’ve got some experience and know what type of riding I actually want to do on it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    The twin pot brembos are certainly up to the job; the latest Triumph Trident only has twin pot brakes upfront.

If it really bothers you, you can always buy a pair of four pot calipers to retro fit.
    Completely unnecessary. I slow my GSXR 750 down from a genuine 165 to 30 mph 15 times every 20 minutes, at Odiham on slicks, in 150 m without locking the brakes (no ABS) on the standard Tokico 4 pots calipers that are now 13 years old.

On the road, the only time you need that much retardation you'll be triggering the ABS, so the braking performance differential between Brembo 2 & 4 pots is academic in my view. It's just "bling"
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Quote Originally Posted by andy tims View Post

On the road, the only time you need that much retardation you'll be triggering the ABS, so the braking performance differential between Brembo 2 & 4 pots is academic in my view. It's just "bling"
    What I have always said. I have 'standard' monobloc Brembos on my HP2s, which many people 'upgrade' to on other bikes, then justify at bike meets with "yeah- mate - they're monoblock so won't flex like the OEM crap"

I can stand my R-1 on its nose with two fingers on the front brake lever with the standard Yamaha 4pot calipers.

Master

Latest fixxer upper

Got this a few weeks ago to fettle over the winter, runs fine and everythings there and from initial inspection, just end cans non original.

Photo from seller, my garage is a little bit tidier, but not much!

I like V4's and had a few smaller capacity V4 hondas over the years, this 1984 R model benefited from latest tech at the time, although old hat now. Some cam trouble on these, but my view is that if its lasted till now then likely ok

Quote Originally Posted by Bluetinfloor View Post
    Got this a few weeks ago to fettle over the winter, runs fine and everythings there and from initial inspection, just end cans non original.

I like V4's and had a few smaller capacity V4 hondas over the years, this 1984 R model benefited from latest tech at the time, although old hat now. Some cam trouble on these, but my view is that if its lasted till now then likely ok

CB1100R, VF1000R, RC30; it seems odds on that the VF1000R will be appreciated as much as the other two at some stage!

Quote Originally Posted by andy tims View Post
    Completely unnecessary. I slow my GSXR 750 down from a genuine 165 to 30 mph 15 times every 20 minutes, at Odiham on slicks, in 150 m without locking the brakes (no ABS) on the standard Tokico 4 pots calipers that are now 13 years old.

Oh I don’t know, it was absolutely essential to replace the 270mm discs and single piston calipers on my GPz750!

Yeah, the cams/camchains weren't the best on these.
    Easy enough to fix though. Make sure you do regular oil changes, and make sure the camchain tensioner is in good order. Great looking bike btw.

Quote Originally Posted by Tifa View Post
    Yeah, the cams/camchains weren't the best on these.
    Easy enough to fix though. Make sure you do regular oil changes, and make sure the camchain tensioner is in good order. Great looking bike btw.
    That’s the R model, it was the first with gear driven camshafts IIRC.

Master
    Yep - gear driven cams, but pretty sure its a good one anyway.

In my experience horror stories about failures on particular models are usually overplayed, although I don't doubt they happen and have a basis. The Honda Firestorm cam chain tensioners are always said to be suspect but I have had 2 of these bikes ridden enthusiastically at times with no problems, have never known anyone who has lunched the top end of a storm due to failure in 30 years and neither have Padgetts, who will have seen a few in their time.

Master
    On these it was oil starvation to the head on some production runs and not others, as this one has survived 36 years should be ok

More bike related stuff

Yep - gear driven cams, but pretty sure its a good one anyway.

In my experience horror stories about failures on particular models are usually overplayed, although I don't doubt they happen and have a basis. The Honda Firestorm cam chain tensioners are always said to be suspect but I have had 2 of these bikes ridden enthusiastically at times with no problems, have never known anyone who has lunched the top end of a storm due to failure in 30 years and neither have Padgetts, who will have seen a few in their time.
    I remember when they came out, superseding the CB1100R. They visit £5k new when other litre bikes were sub £2k. They were the pinnacle of Hondas race engineering so I would expect that even now, nearly forty years on, it’s going to be a very reliable bike.

The advent of WSB with a 750cc capacity saw it replaced by the RC30 so it really is in great company.

I went to look at one probably ten years ago now which I could have bought for £1800. I declined the offer, stupid or what?

If you look on the side of the frame it says Cam Gear Drive proudly!

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Strchr03 View Post
    Just got myself a Suzuki v-Strom 650. :-) Only rode it around London so far, but seems to go well.

I’ve got a feeling it will be a little boring to ride but I think that’s a perfect problem for a first bike! Should do everything I need it to do and then I can change it when I’ve got some experience and know what type of riding I actually want to do on it!

my friend bought one of those first when he got back into biking after the kids fledged.

Then went up down and sideways with bikes including the BMW GS

He came right back to the 650 as that was the bike he enjoyed riding and as he said he doesent need to prove anything.

It reminds me of the comments on my IWC pilot watch,some said its entry level,totally not understanding that it was the watch I wanted.

Well, the dealer that had and sold the Tiger 800 XRt contacted me yesterday to tell me that they've just taken another almost identical one in... 2018, FSH, just 2166 miles on the clock and priced at £8200. I've seen a video of it pre-valet, inspection and tart-up and it looks like it's spot on, but it's at a Lings dealership down in Essex. I would have gone down there straight away, but this morning I'm testing the 900 GT Pro for a couple of hours (which is the equivalent spec in the new 900 range) to see how it feels in terms of size and ergos. If I like it I'll have a decision to make but, all things being equal, the XTr sounds like the sensible option. In fact, that saving would pay for a mini-garage or heavy duty shed at the end of the garden!

Oh, and I did have a test ride on a Multistrada booked for this afternoon, but it's going to be pissing down by lunchtime so that one will have to wait. If I really, really like the Tiger it probably won't happen, as I really do think that the lighter, smaller bike is better suited.
    Last edited by learningtofly; 31st July 2021 at 06:35.

Oh, and I did have a test ride on a Multistrada booked for this afternoon, but it's going to be pissing down by lunchtime so that one will have to wait. If I really, really like the Tiger it probably won't happen, as I really do think that the lighter, smaller bike is better suited.
    So true - I'm definitely in the smaller & lighter bike appreciation society these days.

That said, I've agreed to accompany my lad when he goes for an MOT on his YBR this afternoon. The fact that the dealer has a low miles Z H2 at (relatively) sensible money is pure coincidence.

Quote Originally Posted by Gyp View Post
    So true - I'm definitely in the smaller & lighter bike appreciation society these days.

That said, I've agreed to accompany my lad when he goes for an MOT on his YBR this afternoon. The fact that the dealer has a low miles Z H2 at (relatively) sensible money is pure coincidence.
    What do you have at the moment, Ian, and which would go (if any)?

What do you have at the moment, Ian, and which would go (if any)?
    Ignoring the 2 boxer twin garage ornaments, I'm still riding the Triumph Street Scrambler and loving it. I've been commuting to work on it through the summer when I can and, whilst my riding wouldn't get the attention of speed cameras, I've been starting to wear the edges of my work boots.

I know that it's all the bike I need at the moment. The opportunities to go long distances are too limited to really justify a proper tourer (R1250RT?) or adventure bike (CRF1100L?). I hanker after something "silly" for the occasional ride, but the combination of short legs and a long term neck problem means that they (Z H2? Hypermotard?) or are not really practical either.

As much as I window shop, I reckon the little Triumph is staying for a while. If I really need to do a long trip, I'll service and tax the R80RT. It's been bought and paid for for 32 years.

As I say to Mrs Gyp, "the only reason I look at other women is to reinforce how lucky I am to have you, dear..."

Well, the dealer that had and sold the Tiger 800 XRt contacted me yesterday to tell me that they've just taken another almost identical one in... 2018, FSH, just 2166 miles on the clock and priced at £8200. I've seen a video of it pre-valet, inspection and tart-up and it looks like it's spot on, but it's at a Lings dealership down in Essex. I would have gone down there straight away, but this morning I'm testing the 900 GT Pro for a couple of hours (which is the equivalent spec in the new 900 range) to see how it feels in terms of size and ergos. If I like it I'll have a decision to make but, all things being equal, the XTr sounds like the sensible option. In fact, that saving would pay for a mini-garage or heavy duty shed at the end of the garden!

Just try the Multi out, you’ve waited this long and you may be pleasantly surprised.

Master
    I think its only a matter of when not if Tony gets the Triumph.

(My Multi with Tony's demo Triumph)
    Last edited by I a n; 31st July 2021 at 12:11.

Quote Originally Posted by I a n View Post
    I think its only a matter of when not if Tony gets the Triumph.

(My Multi with Tony's demo Triumph)
    Good to see you today, Ian, and useful to compare the two bikes in terms of size. Confirmed what I thought, in fact.

If I had to choose it would be the Ducati all day long for real world use.

Quote Originally Posted by manganr View Post
    I don't have the luxury of choice, unfortunately.

Agreed, plus it’s a stunner compared to the Truimph

I don't have the luxury of choice, unfortunately.
    Faor enough Tony. Was the test ride today? Would be great to hear your thoughts.

Quote Originally Posted by Martylaa View Post
    Agreed, plus it’s a stunner compared to the Truimph
    Ignoring the issue of tact, even emotional intelligence - yes, it is. Enjoy riding yours, and I’ll enjoy riding my Tiger when I get my hands on one.

Faor enough Tony. Was the test ride today? Would be great to hear your thoughts.
    Had to cancel, Ray, due to afternoon thunderstorms. However, Ian’s was very clearly too big, and I’d never be happy pushing it or paddling it backwards and forwards half a dozen times every time I parked up at home.

Just one of those things.

Master
    So Tony, 900 or 800 + TTR?

So Tony, 900 or 800 + TTR?
    Not letting the TTR go, so it looks like being the 800 XRT!
    Last edited by learningtofly; 31st July 2021 at 18:43.

Master
    Not letting the TTR go, so it looks like being the 800 XTr!
    I reckon that'll be a great combo - covering all the bases.

I reckon that'll be a great combo - covering all the bases.
    Yes, that’s my thinking for sure. It’s not a bad looking bike, just not the most beautiful out there.

Ignoring the issue of tact, even emotional intelligence - yes, it is. Enjoy riding yours, and I’ll enjoy riding my Tiger when I get my hands on one.

Ok cupcake, it was meant to be tongue in cheek, my lack of emotional intelligence must of got in the way.
    Enjoy.

Master
    Yes, that’s my thinking for sure. It’s not a bad looking bike, just not the most beautiful out there.

Yes, probably a bike bought for practicality rather than beauty. However, I do like the sense of purpose these bikes have.

Have you considered the F900XR? Seem to be available in a variety of seat heights -

Here's a picture from a recent trip - F900XR, Tiger 900 and my GS. The XR is probably the looker of the bunch and it was well capable of doing everything we attempted - including the Keilder Forest road etc.

However, if you're set on a Triumph, I get that.

Yes, probably a bike bought for practicality rather than beauty. However, I do like the sense of purpose these bikes have.

Have you considered the F900XR? Seem to be available in a variety of seat heights -

Here's a picture from a recent trip - F900XR, Tiger 900 and my GS. The XR is probably the looker of the bunch and it was well capable of doing everything we attempted - including the Keilder Forest road etc.

However, if you're set on a Triumph, I get that.
    Actually that’s a good shout, and for some reason I had told myself it wouldn’t work. However, spec’d up how i’d want it and in Triple Black it comes out at £11k. That’s a significant reduction on the 900 GT Pro so worth looking into further.
    Last edited by learningtofly; 31st July 2021 at 19:23.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Tony I dont know the layout you have at home.

But what I did when I had my 2nd bike was to lay down some paving stones onto my chunky gravel so I could drive forward and reverse easier (my Honda was so heavy it would sink).

My place was also very difficult to manouver particulary the heavy Honda which was very hard work and put me off riding.

So I think you are doing the right thing taking everything into consideration.

Quote Originally Posted by bwest76 View Post
    Tony I dont know the layout you have at home.

But what I did when I had my 2nd bike was to lay down some paving stones onto my chunky gravel so I could drive forward and reverse easier (my Honda was so heavy it would sink).

My place was also very difficult to manouver particulary the heavy Honda which was very hard work and put me off riding.

So I think you are doing the right thing taking everything into consideration.
    Yes, it can be to easy to forget about practicalities in the heat of the moment. Act in haste, repent at leisure springs to mind.

Actually that’s a good shout, and for some reason I had told myself it wouldn’t work. However, spec’d up how i’d want it and in Triple Black it comes out at £11k. That’s a significant reduction on the 900 GT Pro so worth looking into further.
    Actually, spec'd up with pretty much everything, including the low seat, it's £11,800. Still cheaper than the 900 GT pro and a fair bit prettier - the main difference is that the Tiger's also designed for a bit of light off-rodd use, and this one isn't.

It might even be pretty enough, and adaptable enough, to let the TTR go in p/x.

Then light off-road use (I'd really like to do some green-laning) is quite a big factor, and going that route would come with about a £4k cost saving (enabling a two-bike solution). Quite a lot to think about.
    Last edited by learningtofly; 1st August 2021 at 08:20.

How did the Tiger fair, as a matter of interest? I actually like the way it looks in that photo... the 900 is probably more of a looker than the old 800 range.

Master
    How did the Tiger fair, as a matter of interest? I actually like the way it looks in that photo... the 900 is probably more of a looker than the old 800 range.
    The guy on the Tiger absolutely loves the bike. He came from an 800 and reckons the 900 is significantly better to ride for longer days. On the twisty roads in Scotland he was quick in the corners and the bike looked very sure-footed. On the unpaved road he was very confident too.

I agree with you that the 900 is a bit more of a looker than the 800, although any adventure bike is unlikely to win a beauty contest.

Here’s a comparison from the POV of an XR owner. The guy is a bit OTT but it’s worth persevering…

Last edited by downer; 1st August 2021 at 08:58.

Does anyone run a Sena SRL comms unit when out riding? I have the Neotec 2 helmet and just wondering if the SRL units which fit are a good piece of kit?