closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 320 of 359 FirstFirst ... 220270310318319320321322330 ... LastLast
Results 15,951 to 16,000 of 17916

Thread: More bike related stuff

Quote Originally Posted by bwest76 View Post
    Tony with my health problems I stopped using 1/2" drive not really needed on my bike, I went for 1/4" and 3/8" drive less weight on my hand and easier to carry.

Teng socket sets are very good as are the original/ Britool spanners which can still be found and are a joy to use they are as good as Snapon.

I use Teng torque wrenches of the size ranges that are used on most bikes.

Halfords tools are good but the big sets dont always give you what you actually need and often more stuff you dont need.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=teng+so..._ts-doa-p_1_16
    I ended up buying the 150 piece set for £104, which I thought was cheap enough that it was a no brainer, but essentially I agree with you. That said, it comes with a comprehensive set of 3/8th's drive sockets - in addition to 1/4 and 1/2 - which should do for most motorbike jobs I encounter, I'd have thought (the only thing I'm slightly annoyed about - but will live with - is that this set has no ratcheting spanners in it ).

As for Teng, I've heard good things about the quality, and there's some cracking little sets available. However, with no garage/workshop the ease of having everything in one transportable case outweighed the potential benefits of building up a more modular set.
    Last edited by learningtofly; 4th August 2023 at 14:56.

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    I ended up buying the 150 piece set for £104, which I thought was cheap enough that it was a no brainer, but essentially I agree with you. That said, it comes with a comprehensive set of 3/8th's drive sockets which should do for most jobs I encounter, I'd have thought (the only thing I'm slightly annoyed about - but will live with - is that this set has no ratcheting spanners in it ).
    I very nearly bought the 100 piece as a smaller, easier to manage set. Currently comes with a free advanced screwdriver set as well as the trade 25% off, I still might do it. I’m not sure you can have too many tools?

Quote Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
    How’s this for stupidity?? 2 miles from my house and a notorious piece of road for all the wrong reasons. I’ve lost count of the number of fatalities and serious incidents since I’ve lived here.
    That’s absolutely nuts. What a complete clown.

More bike related stuff

Quote Originally Posted by Craizeehair View Post
    I very nearly bought the 100 piece as a smaller, easier to manage set. Currently comes with a free advanced screwdriver set as well as the trade 25% off, I still might do it. I’m not sure you can have too many tools?
    I bought the drawer sets when on three for two offers

And a set of ratchet spanner’s

And this 55 piece set that I never use any more.

In all honesty, on the bikes, it’s the 1/4 drive set that gets the most use, with the 1/2 set usually only for bigger stuff where I need to use my long bar.
    Last edited by Dave+63; 4th August 2023 at 14:28.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I ended up buying the 150 piece set for £104, which I thought was cheap enough that it was a no brainer, but essentially I agree with you. That said, it comes with a comprehensive set of 3/8th's drive sockets - in addition to 1/4 and 1/2 - which should do for most motorbike jobs I encounter, I'd have thought (the only thing I'm slightly annoyed about - but will live with - is that this set has no ratcheting spanners in it ).

As for Teng, I've heard good things about the quality, and there's some cracking little sets available. However, with no garage/workshop the ease of having everything in one transportable case outweighed the potential benefits of building up a more modular set.
    That looks like a good set.

My ratcheting spanners are Gear Wrench which seem to have gotten very expensive.

I also have a set of these from Halfords which might fit in the case and turn a spanner into a ratchet.

Halfords Advanced Ratchet Spanner Adaptor Set
    4.8 out of 5 stars. Read reviews for average rating value is 4.8 of 5. Read 22 Reviews Same page link.

(22)
    Write a review
    £11.00

Master
    This bloody weather - I haven't even scrubbed my tyres in yet
    I’m in Austria at the moment. The weather is variable - to say the least!

Master
    How is this even possible?

Lots of run off

Lots of practice

Someone else picks up the bill

That looks like a good set.

… I also have a set of these from Halfords which might fit in the case and turn a spanner into a ratchet.

Halfords Advanced Ratchet Spanner Adaptor Set
    4.8 out of 5 stars. Read reviews for average rating value is 4.8 of 5. Read 22 Reviews Same page link.

(22)
    Write a review
    £11.00
    That seems to be an adapter to turn an existing ratchet spanner into a ratchet socket drive. I was just saying I’m missing the ratchet spanners in the set that I bought.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Gyp View Post
    Lots of run off

Lots of practice

Someone else picks up the bill
    Non of the above would help me🤪

Non of the above would help me浪
    I’ve lost the front a few times on track and stayed upright, but not at anything like that lean angle. I’d be on the deck too.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Miller isn't a bad jockey all things considered

Sent from my SM-A528B using Tapatalk

Master
    Blog Entries

Sarah Lezito makes it look easy, she does a lot of stunts but what impresses me is when she is going fast and just drifts around a corner smooth,controlled and with grace.

She does come off sometimes but takes it in her stride as its to be expected.

Master

I took the exact same photo of my telly!

Not something you see every day (evening) in a bar. Lovely looking things.

Craftsman

Forget the Moto GP

This is more exciting.

https://youtu.be/AQGOMhX9Wdo

Lovely day for a bimble in the countryside...

Quote Originally Posted by Metalic Mud View Post
    This is more exciting.

https://youtu.be/AQGOMhX9Wdo
    That was pretty crazy
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Master
    She came back from a full belts service, new coils, and took her out for the first time in too long. Ran her up and around my usual roads, then paused at Heathrow on the way back. The big Vtwin and 14:1 compression fires you up the road through the open 70mm Termis like she is on a giant elastic band aimed at the horizon. Had her almost 15y now, and she never fails to remind me how ‘alive’ we can feel riding.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by spareparts View Post
    She came back from a full belts service, new coils, and took her out for the first time in too long. Ran her up and around my usual roads, then paused at Heathrow on the way back. The big Vtwin and 14:1 compression fires you up the road through the open 70mm Termis like she is on a giant elastic band aimed at the horizon. Had her almost 15y now, and she never fails to remind me how ‘alive’ we can feel riding.

Cant fault that, it looks as sharp today as the current range of sportsbikes except………………………

you have had 15 years of smiles from it

Steve

What an absolutely beautiful bike, and that’s before the trademark Ducati sound of 1,000 ball bearings in a washing machine. 10/10.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by higham5 View Post
    Cant fault that, it looks as sharp today as the current range of sportsbikes except………………………

you have had 15 years of smiles from it

Steve
    I have often thought about swapping for other bikes that would get more mileage and use, but we have been all around Europe together chasing the sunset on some of the best twisties and alpine passes. Visceral memories that linger and I can’t bring myself to let her go.

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    What an absolutely beautiful bike, and that’s before the trademark Ducati sound of 1,000 ball bearings in a washing machine. 10/10.
    And once you wind on the throttle past 5k rpm, she is a silky and oiled sewing machine with the twin pistons hammering the power down, Termis booming a baritone orchestra.

Master

i know nothing about modern bikes,15 years old still means modern to this old f@rt, but that is truly beautiful.

Quote Originally Posted by greasemonkey View Post
    i know nothing about modern bikes,15 years old still means modern to this old f@rt, but that is truly beautiful.
    It’s one of the most beautiful bikes Ducati made, following on from the ugly duckling 999* which replaced the iconic 916.

They really went to town to make a proper modern interpretation of the 916 and, especially on the R model, threw the kitchen sink at it.

Stunning from every angle.

* The 999 IMHO has got better with age and is a stunning bike in its own right, just not the natural successor to the 916 except on track.

The 1098 was the best looking bike Ducati ever made, probably the best looking bike anyone ever made. Mine was an S model, gorgeous to look at and utterly sublime on the right road (and by road, I mean track). But on the wrong road (which is pretty much any road), it was a grumpy cantankerous arsehole of a bike. The only bike I’ve ever owned that I both loved and hated in equal measure.

My mate has a Panigale V4R which, whilst a superior bike in almost every way, Isn’t a patch on it visually.

The 1098/1198 is a glorious looking machine..possibly better looking than even the iconic 916/996/998 line up.

Like already mentioned I think the 999 was ahead of its time design wise and was a huge success on the track. I really miss my baby variant.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by greasemonkey View Post
    Thanks. The 1098R is archaic compared to the current electronically controlled bikes. It has no anti-wheelie, no lean angle sensors of any kind, and runs a traditional cable throttle. The 1098R is notable in that it was the world's first motorbike to introduce traction control - whereby it simply cuts fueling and make the bike feel like it is misfiring. Because the 1098R system is so crude, it remains switched off.

Today's modern bikes electronically manage engine power and simultaneously apply brakes, instead of cutting fueling, so they are imperceptible to the rider and mostly cannot be turned off.

The 1098R's only other electronics is traditional ABS which is useful in almost all situations. Else, it is a very analogue machine that will wheelie off the throttle in 3rd and 4th gear.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    It’s one of the most beautiful bikes Ducati made, following on from the ugly duckling 999* which replaced the iconic 916.

They really went to town to make a proper modern interpretation of the 916 and, especially on the R model, threw the kitchen sink at it.

Stunning from every angle.

* The 999 IMHO has got better with age and is a stunning bike in its own right, just not the natural successor to the 916 except on track.
    I agree on the 999. Pierre Terblanche was way ahead of his time, and its design fits in better with today's era than it did upon release. The 999 was Ducati's most comfortable superbike on the road, and it was also their most successful bike on the race track. But neither factor translated into desirability given people struggled to get past its looks.

The 1098R was a full homologation bike and therefore most of the R-version engine was designed to be modified by race teams in order to release its potential. In standard form it was already a very strong motor. But as I have found out the engine has released another c.30hp with a combination of factory supplied RS-component kits, some mild engine work (larger oilways, heads ported and polished, high compression Pistals at 14:1 vs 12.8:1, 1mm squish, high velocity stacks, and RS cams).

Quote Originally Posted by Groundrush View Post
    The 1098 was the best looking bike Ducati ever made, probably the best looking bike anyone ever made. Mine was an S model, gorgeous to look at and utterly sublime on the right road (and by road, I mean track). But on the wrong road (which is pretty much any road), it was a grumpy cantankerous arsehole of a bike. The only bike I’ve ever owned that I both loved and hated in equal measure.
    Grumpy is perfect. Hangry for the horizon is how I like to put it.

My mate has a Panigale V4R which, whilst a superior bike in almost every way, Isn’t a patch on it visually.

The Panigale also changed the basic rider geometry/ergos compared to the 1x98 series. The Pani positions your head right over the front wheel, arms much wider, and it's a generally more aggressive layout where you can feel like you're almost falling over the front in comparison. The 1x98 series was more akin to the 2000-series superbikes that were longer and lower, where they were sublime leant over and you could steer them with your knees and were more intentional with steering pressure. Carrying corner speed on older/lower powered bikes was a greater asset when you had less power/electronics to just fire you out of the corners as the modern bikes do.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Steve View Post
    The 1098/1198 is a glorious looking machine..possibly better looking than even the iconic 916/996/998 line up.

Like already mentioned I think the 999 was ahead of its time design wise and was a huge success on the track. I really miss my baby variant.

Yellow Ducs are a rare breed and look great!

It's a lovely bike.

Very loud. When Ade was riding it with me, I could hardly hear my bike (S1000R with a baffle-less Racefit end can) over the boom from those Termis.
    Last edited by andy tims; 7th August 2023 at 15:24.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Journeyman

Love my 749. A future classic (though not quite to same degree as the 748/916/998)

Well, I managed to get out for a short while over the weekend, between rainstorms and tummy aches, and having got the bike to a state of modification identical to its predecessor. I do think it looks great (the only crash hangover being some scuffing to the saddlebag on the far side, which is making me twitch a little).

I do have some final mods in mind, namely a tail tidy/LED turn signals and new end cans (almost certainly the Remus). However, I'm going to live with it as-is for the rest of this year, and then plan to make those changes next Spring. It's classically beautiful as it stands, and I may just change my mind on either or both as I spend more time with the bike.

Oh, I've also bought a new full face helmet (the Hedon Heroine Racer 2.0 in Macadamia) as a response to taking a slightly more risk averse approach to such things ( I was lucky to pick it up for £540 in the summer sale, because they ain't cheap). Hedon are also making a decision as to whether they will replace FOC the DGR prize helmet that I was wearing at the time of the accident, so fingers crossed (if you don't ask...).

(Oh II - I'm still far from comfortable when riding, and have a feeling it's going to take me a while before things settle down a bit.)
    Last edited by learningtofly; 7th August 2023 at 18:31.

Quote Originally Posted by b-rad View Post
    Love my 749. A future classic (though not quite to same degree as the 748/916/998)
    I had a 748 It was beautiful but a real pain in the neck to ride...not to mention shoulders and wrists
    The 749/999 is much more rider friendly.

I had a 748 It was beautiful but a real pain in the neck to ride...not to mention shoulders and wrists

What were you riding during the TZ Rideout, Steve? It was a yellow Ducati, wasn't it, just not sure which?

More bike related stuff

I have to agree, I was more than a little surprised with how comfortable the 749 was compared to my 916 when I took Burnsey’s for a quick spin a number of years back (quite a large number at that!)

Master
    I have to agree, I was more than a little surprised with how comfortable the 749 was compared to my 916 when I took Burnsey’s for a quick spin a number of years back (quite a large number at that!)

Someone I used to ride with swapped their CBR600 for a 916 SP; a good rider but not brilliant, he'd normally go out in the middle group of any track day.

He turned up at Cadwell with this beautiful bike, which he admitted wasn't all that comfortable. He was almost 8 seconds a lap slower to start and even after a full day was still 3 seconds off his Honda pace. He struggled with it for a few more months then sold it, slightly crestfallen that he just couldn't make the bike work.

Quote Originally Posted by Longblackcoat View Post
    Someone I used to ride with swapped their CBR600 for a 916 SP; a good rider but not brilliant, he'd normally go out in the middle group of any track day.

He turned up at Cadwell with this beautiful bike, which he admitted wasn't all that comfortable. He was almost 8 seconds a lap slower to start and even after a full day was still 3 seconds off his Honda pace. He struggled with it for a few more months then sold it, slightly crestfallen that he just couldn't make the bike work.
    My experience was the exact opposite;my mate and I both had ZZR600s from new and I always struggled to keep up with him. I sold it and bought a 900 supersport which was 30bhp down and 30kg heavier. After a few weeks he couldn’t get near me, the bike just suited me perfectly.

What were you riding during the TZ Rideout, Steve? It was a yellow Ducati, wasn't it, just not sure which?
    Hi Tony...yes that was me on that bike...sadly no more.

Hi Tony...yes that was me on that bike...sadly no more.

Oh sh*t. Were you hurt?

Was that the one that rear ended the Range Rover??

Yellow Ducs are a rare breed and look great!
    Indeed! I have just given my 15 year old Hypermotard a new lease of life by wrapping the panels in yellow!

Oh sh*t. Were you hurt?
    Not a scratch Tony..impact around 10 to 15mph. Bike written off though.

Quote Originally Posted by manganr View Post
    Was that the one that rear ended the Range Rover??
    Yes. Lady out on a test drive just stopped dead in the road.

Had an enjoyable ride out along with a friend of mine (who's equally afflicted with the vintage bug) to East Hagbourne bike night yesterday, great weather, plenty of vintage iron/interesting bikes, great burger and chips and a pint of Timothy Taylor's Landlord. What more could you want?

Master
    Sarah Lezito makes it look easy, she does a lot of stunts but what impresses me is when she is going fast and just drifts around a corner smooth,controlled and with grace.

She does come off sometimes but takes it in her stride as its to be expected.
    Yeah she is amazing to watch, such control.

Master
    How’s this for stupidity?? 2 miles from my house and a notorious piece of road for all the wrong reasons. I’ve lost count of the number of fatalities and serious incidents since I’ve lived here.

That is beyond terrible. Cannot make out the registration clearly though. That should be with the police to have a nice little chat with the owner.

Master
    [QUOTE=Thewatchbloke;6256486]Had an enjoyable ride out along with a friend of mine (who's equally afflicted with the vintage bug) to East Hagbourne bike night yesterday, great weather, plenty of vintage iron/interesting bikes, great burger and chips and a pint of Timothy Taylor's Landlord. What more could

Nice Alan Millyard Kawasaki there ;)

Quote Originally Posted by higham5 View Post
    Nice Alan Millyard Kawasaki there ;)
    It's his sons I believe!

This is meant to be a reflection on my style of riding these days and not a comment on anyone else's riding either now or previously.....however. After an accident whilst filtering on the M6 many years ago I've found that I'm in less of a rush on a bike these days. Regardless of the company I'm happy to press on at my own pace and assess my own risks....I have however, grown in confidence again over the last few years. I realise everyone has their own evaluation of risk v's ability too.

I can't help but recall the 'infamous' TZ Ride Out which was a bit of an eye opener for me in my less confident state. That day I rode for a lot of the time that I was there with the smaller group that contained Tony and Steve (lovely yellow Ducati above)....great company and clearly not as 'spirited' as the 'faster' group that lost us all within minutes of the start. Despite being in this smaller group I was still surprised by the speed and narrowness of a lot of the filtering situations this group flew into.....I often held back and eventually lost everyone somewhere in Aylesbury I think. Since then both Tony and Steve have had accidents, neither of which where their faults (like mine on the M6) and thankfully nothing too serious heath wise. However I wonder if going forwards (maybe still too early for you Tony) either of you view filtering and group riding in general differently now? Despite my increase in riding confidence generally I'm still wary when filtering.

Note: I've ridden a number of times since the TZ ride-out with Tony and have always considered his riding style to be confident and very capable and always considerate of pace of the wider group.

When it comes to group ride-outs I have developed an aversion over the years to large numbers of riders, especially if they’re unknown to me.

When it comes to group touring I now have one inviolate rule: a maximum number of four (and known) riders.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Quote Originally Posted by skmark View Post
    This is meant to be a reflection on my style of riding these days and not a comment on anyone else's riding either now or previously.....however. After an accident whilst filtering on the M6 many years ago I've found that I'm in less of a rush on a bike these days. Regardless of the company I'm happy to press on at my own pace and assess my own risks....I have however, grown in confidence again over the last few years. I realise everyone has their own evaluation of risk v's ability too.

I can't help but recall the 'infamous' TZ Ride Out which was a bit of an eye opener for me in my less confident state. That day I rode for a lot of the time that I was there with the smaller group that contained Tony and Steve (lovely yellow Ducati above)....great company and clearly not as 'spirited' as the 'faster' group that lost us all within minutes of the start. Despite being in this smaller group I was still surprised by the speed and narrowness of a lot of the filtering situations this group flew into.....I often held back and eventually lost everyone somewhere in Aylesbury I think. Since then both Tony and Steve have had accidents, neither of which where their faults (like mine on the M6) and thankfully nothing too serious health wise. However I wonder if going forwards (maybe still too early for you Tony) either of you view filtering and group riding in general differently now? Despite my increase in riding confidence generally I'm still wary when filtering.

Note: I've ridden a number of times since the TZ ride-out with Tony and have always considered his riding style to be confident and very capable and always considerate of pace of the wider group.
    "Infamous" is right, Mark... after months of planning (exact routes, meeting points/times, avoiding all motorways, etc) that day was ruined within seconds by the idiot who decided to lead the bulk of the riders round the M25 at lunatic speeds. I wasn't even on my bike when he set off, and the day was effectively over in terms of all of our planning before it had begun. Anyway...

I've always enjoyed riding with you, Mark, and I realised straight away that you're no speedster. That suits me fine as neither am I, and I'm more than happy bimbling along and enjoying what's going on around me. As for changed attitudes following my filtering mishap, it's still very early to say. I'll certainly continue to filter, but I dare say it'll tend to be more slowly and perhaps not where I feel the risk is too great. Otherwise, I think I've always ridden quite defensively, and that certainly won't change. For now, though, I just want to get some miles under my belt and get my confidence back, which hopefully will just happen in due course.

As for group rides (not something I do with any regularity), I do recognise that there's an inherent risk, and I avoid making plans other than with like-minded souls (the cancelled North Wales trip being a recent perfect example of that). I think that's really important in terms of risk mitigation, as well as just making everything a whole lot more enjoyable.

PS We must try to make a plan whilst there's still a chance of some decent weather.
    Last edited by learningtofly; 8th August 2023 at 18:44.