closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 358 of 358 FirstFirst ... 258308348356357358
Results 17,851 to 17,892 of 17892

Thread: More bike related stuff

Since T does like his nice things to be nice, I'm enjoying the thought of his pride and joy having a proper home, and also the thought of his having a second bike for when circumstances might not be ideal for the first.

Quote Originally Posted by lewie View Post
    Great - 2nd bike coming 24th?
    Well, that might be a bit quick…

Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    Since T does like his nice things to be nice, I'm enjoying the thought of his pride and joy having a proper home, and also the thought of his having a second bike for when circumstances might not be ideal for the first.
    Thanks very much. I’m quite excited by both prospects too!

Master
    I'll just leave this here - in case anyone needs it...

https://www.triumphmotorcycles.co.uk...nfigure#config

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by downer View Post

Just been down to William hill and suck a tenner on the nose - by the 1st of June

Glorious...

Out for a short run and a sit in the sun - to St Mary’s Loch. Lots of bikes out and when I counted at one point- 7 out of 27 bikes were BMW GS/GSAs.

Usual bunch of dicks revving fuel-injected bikes and roaring off at full tilt………..

Quote Originally Posted by djjuk View Post
    Glorious...

Was that pic taken in the New Forest?

Bummer!!!

I realised yesterday that I'm going to need my bike to stay in storage for another month. The works in the garden and the side/front of the house won't be finished until the last week of May, and I'll not be able to get the bike out to the front of the house (plus it'll be in the way of the builders). It looks like it's going to be raining pretty much until the works start too, so there's no benefit in getting now at all.

Oh well, at least I'll have it for the summer - and it'll have a proper home when I do bring it back!

Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    There's not a whole heap of bike - around that engine ! What a beast!

I was tempted by the 1290GT, for the shear grunt of the twin, but played safe with the S1000XR.
    Played safe with the S1000XR
    I've been toying with the idea of one; I rode one a few years ago but it was too vibey for me - I believe that's been sorted now.

Quote Originally Posted by Stanford View Post
    Played safe with the S1000XR
    I've been toying with the idea of one; I rode one a few years ago but it was too vibey for me - I believe that's been sorted now.
    My original 2016 one - I fitted bar-end weights and a low seat before I even rode it, and couldn't discern any unusual vibes through the bars.

No bar vibes on either that or the subsequent 2019 one.

Better than a 1290? No - just a different approach.

My original 2016 one - I fitted bar-end weights and a low seat before I even rode it, and couldn't discern any unusual vibes through the bars.

No bar vibes on either that or the subsequent 2019 one.

Better than a 1290? No - just a different approach.
    Even with the vibes the XR was a super(b) bike and, thankfully, you seem to have nipped the vibes in the bud.

I don't understand why bike manufacturers persist in making bikes that 'normal' riders need to modify with lowered suspension and or seats in order to feel comfortable at standstill; but then again I do understand...it's so they can sell us those extras .

Although I could get the balls of both feet on the ground on the 1390 SDR, I'm reaching the age where I want (need) to be able to comfortably flat foot both feet. I sat on a new 990 while at the dealership and could easily get both feet down, but couldn't ride one as they didn't have a demo bike...another day :)

Even with the vibes the XR was a super(b) bike and, thankfully, you seem to have nipped the vibes in the bud.

I don't understand why bike manufacturers persist in making bikes that 'normal' riders need to modify with lowered suspension and or seats in order to feel comfortable at standstill; but then again I do understand...it's so they can sell us those extras .

Although I could get the balls of both feet on the ground on the 1390 SDR, I'm reaching the age where I want (need) to be able to comfortably flat foot both feet. I sat on a new 990 while at the dealership and could easily get both feet down, but couldn't ride one as they didn't have a demo bike...another day :)
    I'm not sure - although I discovered that I have shrunk 2" in the last ??? years (I hope it is in the last 10 years and not since 2023!).

I started on the low seat, but then bought the HP seat which is sculpted differently and doesn't push your hips out so wide, so - it is more comfortable AND not much higher. When I bought my 2019 one - I bought a factory low-chassis model just because lower CoG is always better, and there is no downside to road riding. It is fitted with HP adjustable pegs, so they are adjusted 'up and back' and the whole rider position just feels right to me - almost "racy"

It is still perhaps a slightly higher sight-line than on a 1290, which I do like for vision over cars in front.

I think there are several riders who have gone from GS to XR and returned to the GS, but otherwise - it is a very popular bike.

On a similar note, any suggestions for something other than a 1250GS please? I’m thinking of swapping one bike for 2, and want an adventure style bike for touring. I’ve had a couple of GS’ and loved them but do fancy a change.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt8500 View Post
    On a similar note, any suggestions for something other than a 1250GS please? I’m thinking of swapping one bike for 2, and want an adventure style bike for touring. I’ve had a couple of GS’ and loved them but do fancy a change.
    The new Tiger 1200 models have to be worth a shout.

There's a large range of adventure style bikes available from many manufacturers, Triumph alone has several options across different engine sizes.

Looks like I can get a couple of year old one in budget, will have to go for a test ride!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    The new Tiger 1200 models have to be worth a shout.
    Having tried both, personally I'd stick with the GS, rather than the Tiger 1200. In fact, I'd sooner have a Tiger 900 than a 1200.

There's a large range of adventure style bikes available from many manufacturers, Triumph alone has several options across different engine sizes.
    That’s helpful. I was really after any experience of owning/riding to narrow it down a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by E_2_Right-Force View Post
    Was that pic taken in the New Forest?
    No mate. Over the top of the Quantock hills in Somerset.

Master
    I've had a 2022 Ducati Multistrada V2S .. and the other month traded it for a Multi V4S ... both very very capable in terms of long distance touring.
    If you read reviews of both bikes - many reviewers say the 950 V2s 117hp gives you all you need over the 1160 V4s 170hp.
    Having had both - the V4S is obviously smoother and the extra power gives you a lot more performance. Whether you actually need it is your call.

Worth a test ride.
    Last edited by I a n; 21st April 2024 at 21:11.

That’s helpful. I was really after any experience of owning/riding to narrow it down a bit.
    The point is that I can't know what might be good for you, regardless of my experience. You will need to try and decide for yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by djjuk View Post
    No mate. Over the top of the Quantock hills in Somerset.
    Ah OK,looks very much like NF.

I went out today for a bit of a bimble and did about 170 miles - 80 more than i was probably intending to do.
    I filled up at a petrol station and on the way over to pay reached for the wallet in my jacket and discoverd an open (and empty) pocket. From there it was the walk of shame to the cashier.
    So, i was 40 miles from home which meant going back and - hopefully - finding my wallet where i thought i left it whilst getting my bike gear on, rather than discovering that it had fallen out on my travels. It was there, on top of one of the other bikes,phew. Back to the petrol station i went.
    I have now installed Apple pay which would have saved me on this occasion....

Anyway, quite a nice day for it if a little - no - quite a bit chilly, actually.
    Saw 9 degrees at one point and averaged about 12 but felt much colder today, windy, too. I removed the heated jacket liner slightly prematurely this year i think..
    Is it supposed to be this cold in April?!
    Last edited by E_2_Right-Force; 21st April 2024 at 21:17.

Quote Originally Posted by I a n View Post
    I've had a 2022 Ducati Multistrada V2S .. and the other month traded it for a Multi V4S ... both very very capable in terms of long distance touring.
    If you read reviews of both bikes - many reviewers say the 950 V2s 117hp gives you all you need over the 1160 V4s 170hp.
    Having had both - the V4S is obviously smoother and the extra power gives you a lot more performance. Whether you actually need it is your call.

Worth a test ride.
    Thanks, I’ve always shied away from Ducati due to their electrics and service costs. How was the V2 to own? (120 bhp is enough for me!)

The point is that I can't know what might be good for you, regardless of my experience. You will need to try and decide for yourself.
    There was me, thinking this was a nice thread for idle chat about bikes and seeking opinions.

I got a bit too close to the North Sea today, whilst fabricating a nonsense route to Hull, and oh my word the chill of the easterly wind. Made the sunshine totally irrelevant.

There was me, thinking this was a nice thread for idle chat about bikes and seeking opinions.
    It probably is, but it would be helpful if you provided some input as without providing any parameters or preferences you may as well just ask what woman would suit me best.

Smile

Usual bunch of dicks revving fuel-injected bikes and roaring off at full tilt……….

Fair play.....at least they're not forming a rolling roadblock like the Harleys and GS's usually do.

What a glorious weekend.

I spent it building new garden furniture.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Gyp View Post
    What a glorious weekend.

Bloody freezing here - went for a cycle Saturday am and was so cold

Master
    Thanks, I’ve always shied away from Ducati due to their electrics and service costs. How was the V2 to own? (120 bhp is enough for me!)
    Ducati electrics is a non-issue for any recent bike.
    Servicing is more expensive. But newer bikes come with 4 years warranty and valve check intervals have become less frequent as well.
    I had a Multi 950 and then the more recent Multi V2 and really enjoyed owning both. All day comfortable. Enough power, and easy to load up with luggage. V-Twin gives you plenty of torque.

What are you changing from ?

Quote Originally Posted by Gyp View Post
    What a glorious weekend.

And me a new metal shed! What I didn’t realise is that it came in just one box! That took some putting together so the bikes saw no action this weekend.

It probably is, but it would be helpful if you provided some input as without providing any parameters or preferences you may as well just ask what woman would suit me best.
    You do realise that when I said "try and decide for yourself" I meant you should try out different bikes and decide what suits you

You do realise that when I said "try and decide for yourself" I meant you should try out different bikes and decide what suits you
    Indeed; any bike will do anything you want it to, it’s just a matter of which make/model you prefer.

And almost all recommendations you get on here will be biased for the above reasons.

Finally, it’s great fun getting out and actually trying different bikes.

I've decided that if I were the kind of guy who just wanted a bike to pootle over to Masham on a Sunday morning, have a brew and a bacon roll and good old natter before turning round and pootling back home - and clearly I'm not, but I'm enjoying the daydream - then I couldn't imagine having anything other than a Royal Enfield 350. "Two miles an hour, so everybody sees you."

I'm not a huge fan of The Missenden Flyer, but stuck this one out to the end.

I don't like the rear fender - looks way too ancient.

But overall - I have to say, BMW have given the bike a very "Guzzi-ish" look. Visualise a 45deg updturn in the pots - you're looking at a guzzi.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    I've decided that if I were the kind of guy who just wanted a bike to pootle over to Masham on a Sunday morning, have a brew and a bacon roll and good old natter before turning round and pootling back home - and clearly I'm not, but I'm enjoying the daydream - then I couldn't imagine having anything other than a Royal Enfield 350. "Two miles an hour, so everybody sees you."
    Hey, don't mock the RE350. Makes a brilliant wet bike!

Quote Originally Posted by simesman View Post
    don't mock
    I didn't

There's not a whole heap of bike - around that engine ! What a beast!

I was tempted by the 1290GT, for the shear grunt of the twin, but played safe with the S1000XR.
    I bought the 1290 Superduke GT and it's an absolute stonking machine. Supersport capabilities with the comfort of a tourer but the riding position is more sport than touring.

Quote Originally Posted by manganr View Post
    I bought the 1290 Superduke GT and it's an absolute stonking machine. Supersport capabilities with the comfort of a tourer but the riding position is more sport than touring.

I think the S1000XR does the same - just in a different way. I DO Like twin-cyl instant grunt, though.

Too many choices when it comes to bikes - and some stonking S/H bikes on Facebook etc, at a time when my garage is full.

Master

Agreed. It would be a deal-breaker for me.

Agreed. It would be a deal-breaker for me.
    I don't like the rear mudguard - it just doesn't seem to align with the wheel; there's a lack of symmetry there.