closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 240 of 358 FirstFirst ... 140190230238239240241242250290340 ... LastLast
Results 11,951 to 12,000 of 17893

Thread: More bike related stuff

Quote Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
    Well that was exciting… thought I’d pop out for a short ride after lunch, riding through the village to the main road…….yikes complete front brake failure

Lever came straight back to the bar, and brake fluid spraying everywhere from left hand brake pipe.
    That doesn't sound good!

Which bikes was it on?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Gyp View Post
    That doesn't sound good!

Which bikes was it on?
    The Speedmaster…… hard to see what’s happened really. They’re braided hoses covered in plastic. On close examination there is a pinhole in the hose, but how it got there I’ve no idea. My mate reconns the hose has been rubbing on the front tyre, but I can t see any scuff marks so I’m not convinced.

Dealer is on the case, and wants to examine the bike to establish what has happened..

The important thing is: are you OK?
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    Got to agree with this.

Fir braided hoses to have a pinhole leak, something sharp will have to have penetrated the outer sheath, steel braid and inner hose. Scuffing isn’t going to do that but a single strand if the braid could possibly, if damaged, penetrate the hose but would be unlikely to also puncture the outer sheath.

Have you had any arguments with the wife recently?

Master
    Well that was exciting… thought I’d pop out for a short ride after lunch, riding through the village to the main road…….yikes complete front brake failure

Lever came straight back to the bar, and brake fluid spraying everywhere from left hand brake pipe.
    Glad you're ok. I guess it emphasises the value of doing a rolling brake test before you get to a speed/situation where you actually NEED the brakes to work.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    Yes fine thanks… I was doing all of 15 mph as I approached the railway crossing in the village. It’s a rough crossing so always go steady, as the Speedmaster has such little suspension travel, hitting it to fast, bucks you out of the seat.. Rear brake was all that was needed, once I realised there were no fronts.. 

Close escape Enoch!
    A near miss that results in a raised heartbeat is a good one!

It's a fairly low milage bike, so my guess would be a fractured inner hose (underneath the braid) caused by it being over bent at some time or stressed. I'd put money down that you've already done it...but just in case, don't forget to wash any spilt brake fluid off your paintwork.

Master
    I sprayed the whole front end with a can of brake cleaner😎

Bike is 15 months old with almost 8k on the clock….. serviced on the dot

….. serviced on the dot
    Very appropriate considering the circumstances

I think we are both here all week

Quote Originally Posted by MakeColdplayHistory View Post
    Too nice not to go out this afternoon.
    Tactical mistake taking the one without heated grips though to the point where I ended up cutting the ride short.
    Any recommendations for heated gloves? Must be warm as toast and cheap as chips.
    (and look good and have lots of protection)
    cheap as chips probably nothing. Gerbring are very good.

A halfway house, would be Oxford heated grips/ and or handguards, any 3 finger gloves (I have the RST ones) but buy a size larger and wear a thin pair of wool or silk inner gloves.

Master
    207 miles today…. Went down to the Owls Nest biker cafe in Llandovery……it was closed.. doh..🤪🤪

Who's your pal with the 1100s? They are much-underrated for the road.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    That’s my mate Swanny…. He live just over the road from me. He’s 68 and been a biker since 16. I love riding with him because he’s such a smooth rider, and never does anything risky. He also owns a 1050 speed triple and a Thruxton R.

The BMW is his winter bike, I think he’s owned it for around 12 years, and under today’s muck it’s in great shape.

Master
    Managed to disconnect the left caliper, so I can ride to the dealers tomorrow for a new pipe to be fitted..

207 miles today…. Went down to the Owls Nest biker cafe in Llandovery……it was closed.. doh..浪浪

That's properly filthy.

I took the GSX-S1000 out for a short run on Sunday & it came back fairly dirty, but nothing like that.
    Last edited by andy tims; 20th January 2022 at 18:40.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by andy tims View Post
    That's properly filthy.

I took the GSX-S1000 out for a short run on Sunday & it came back fairly dirty, but nothing like that.
    Cleaned it up today….then went and put on my new Rukka gear and got the Mrs to jet wash me down… I think she enjoyed spraying me with the Karcher a little bit to much😈😈

Master
    Looks like you completed a stage on the Dakar

Lovely bikes. Mine doesn’t like salted roads.

Sorry if this seems a stupid question but when in the winter are the roads salted in the UK - do they do it as standard, or when necessary - how does that work ? I get that it is for ice, but do they do it every week during the winter, or just when their is a blizzard on the way ? Does it depend on North/South of England ? Are the roads covered in salt for the whole winter ?

It is illegal here to salt the roads because it washes into the water catchment and pollutes the ground water supply, so it is forbidden. We do use grit though, in the event of snow.

its depends what area you are in and how good your local clowncil are , around my area they usually grit the roads a few weeks after any snow or ice has been around ( so locals can see it on the road and they can post in the local rag that they have indeed put grit down - even though it was not needed at the time and at the time it was needed bugger all was done about it).

* in short its basically like a lottery on whether you get any at all or when its needed depending on your area.
    Last edited by pugster; 21st January 2022 at 07:02.

Master

Gritting

When I lived in Burnley they were quite scientific about gritting. Individuals within the Council are deployed onto a gritting taskforce. The drivers are the day time recycling truck drivers and the office are nominated staff.

Burnley or Pendle used a combination of long range forecast short range weather. They also have air sensors and sensors embedded in nominated roads.

The “call” on when to deploy is critical eg weather improvement and cost , however this must be weighed against the risk of having to attend court to explain their actions in the event of an accident where a fatality has occurred. Not a nice job for a normal 9 to 5 council surveyor or planner!

I would add prior to living in East Lancashire I lived on the Wirral where the temperatures were much milder and the Council rarely gritted the roads and I for one had my VW rear end caved in by a lorry sliding out of control on ice! So maybe I should declare a slight bias as pugster said above it depends where you live.
    Last edited by higham5; 21st January 2022 at 10:00.

Master

Incoming

Just need it to warm up a bit now !!

Quote Originally Posted by I a n View Post

That's a cheeky reg number!

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Well spotted. I still don't have the reflex of checking the licence plate, after 25 years in the country.

Master

Very nice. I reckon the 950/V2 is one of those bikes that probably looks better with its panniers than without - although I must admit my 950S very rarely has the panniers on...

Also interesting to see they got rid of the red frame. Hmm...

Master
    Great plate, I love a cheeky numberplate too

Master
    Managed to disconnect the left caliper, so I can ride to the dealers tomorrow for a new pipe to be fitted..
    Seems the failure was entirely my own fault… I’ve got after market wheels fitted to the Speedmaster, and although they use the standard size tyre, the wheel is slightly wider, and alters the profile of the tyre slightly.

Therefore brake pipe had indeed been rubbing on the side of the tyre. So new pipe fitted and the little wire guide that keeps the pipes from touching the tyre has been bent outwards so this won’t happen again.

As it was my fault I offered to pay for the repair, but the dealer still did it as a warranty job👍👍

Quote Originally Posted by Mattie-1000 View Post
    Sorry if this seems a stupid question but when in the winter are the roads salted in the UK - do they do it as standard, or when necessary - how does that work ? I get that it is for ice, but do they do it every week during the winter, or just when their is a blizzard on the way ? Does it depend on North/South of England ? Are the roads covered in salt for the whole winter ?

It is illegal here to salt the roads because it washes into the water catchment and pollutes the ground water supply, so it is forbidden. We do use grit though, in the event of snow.
    Quote Originally Posted by pugster View Post
    its depends what area you are in and how good your local clowncil are , around my area they usually grit the roads a few weeks after any snow or ice has been around ( so locals can see it on the road and they can post in the local rag that they have indeed put grit down - even though it was not needed at the time and at the time it was needed bugger all was done about it).

* in short its basically like a lottery on whether you get any at all or when its needed depending on your area.
    I think most councils these days - being very aware of the ever-litigious society we live in, have taken away the professional decision-making from the process, and have fixed policies whereby gritting gets carried out whenever a fixed temperature threshold is triggered. No matter if it is raining heavily - they will still adhere to that policy.

Great for the gritter-drivers who often refer to the grit as 'gold-dust', such is their rate of pay!

I think most councils these days - being very aware of the ever-litigious society we live in, have taken away the professional decision-making from the process, and have fixed policies whereby gritting gets carried out whenever a fixed temperature threshold is triggered. No matter if it is raining heavily - they will still adhere to that policy.

Great for the gritter-drivers who often refer to the grit as 'gold-dust', such is their rate of pay!
    ive yet to have seen grit on the road so far this winter , and we have had snow and multiple icy conditions - my local clowncil may have a system in place such as the one you mention - but wether or not its being carried out is a different matter.

* i live in an area where the local clowncil has had multiple corruption investigations against it (and still has as far as im aware)

Brilliant.
    But stay away from North Wales with it.
    There are those days when you'll get pulled for anything
    Last time I was stopped, they did a plate check with a template.
    All of my spacing and character sizes were spot on, but the font wasn't quite correct.
    I couldn't see the difference, but cop was adamant it wasn't right.
    He let me go with a verbal warning, and I've not altered it.

Had to look up the spec of that, I don't keep track...............

Should be good, and enough bhp for touring. Did you try any of the 'opposition' ?

Triumph Tiger 900 / BMW F900XR / Yam 900 Tracer ?

It's become a hotly-fought sector.

What drove you to the Duc?

Master
    Had to look up the spec of that, I don't keep track...............

Should be good, and enough bhp for touring. Did you try any of the 'opposition' ?

Triumph Tiger 900 / BMW F900XR / Yam 900 Tracer ?

It's become a hotly-fought sector.

What drove you to the Duc?
    I already had the predecessor - a 2017 Multistrada 950.

So bit of a lazy upgrade that I wasn't really planning for until I randomly asked the dealership what they would give me for my current bike. This was a lot more than I was expecting so my man maths did the sums and there you are!
    The V2S Travel is fully loaded in terms of all the latest tech.
    Bring on the sun.

I already had the predecessor - a 2017 Multistrada 950.

So bit of a lazy upgrade that I wasn't really planning for until I randomly asked the dealership what they would give me for my current bike. This was a lot more than I was expecting so my man maths did the sums and there you are!
    The V2S Travel is fully loaded in terms of all the latest tech.
    Bring on the sun.
    Makes sense. I really like the look of the V2S. I like the look of the Hypermotard more but I can't get even close to getting my feet on the floor and the V2S would make a lot more sense.

Master
    Had a little ride out to my country residence today..🤪🤪

^^^ Bless

Master
    ^^^ Bless
    It was a recce for my 60th. Birthday next week. I’m going to treat a few good mates to a surprise cream tea at this place https://www.palehall.co.uk/

I wanted to make sure they were OK with 5 bikers turning up, which they were👍

So the plan is, a nice breakfast at Capel Curig, then a little ride out around Snowdonia, ending up at the Pale for afternoon scones…

Non of my mates knows this is happening, but they’ve all booked the day off work, to join me🎂🎂

It was a recce for my 60th. Birthday next week. I’m going to treat a few good mates to a surprise cream tea at this place https://www.palehall.co.uk/

I wanted to make sure they were OK with 5 bikers turning up, which they were

So the plan is, a nice breakfast at Capel Curig, then a little ride out around Snowdonia, ending up at the Pale for afternoon scones…

Non of my mates knows this is happening, but they’ve all booked the day off work, to join me
    Sounds lovely, Andy, and many happy returns for next week. I bet if feels like a special birthday, too, after your recent challenges.

Master
    ^^^^Cheers…..it sure does🤞

Warrington, centre of the Universe and home of the Mighty Wire
    Hope you and the lads have a good day out Enoch. Looking forward to catching up round the N Wales roads from Spring onwards.

Stuart

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Don’t know why as they were only offering £13.75 an hour to drivers when they advertised up here a few months ago. They only want semi retired and part timers so most wouldn’t touch the jobs with a barge pole considering the rates the general hauliers and supermarkets are paying now.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

207 miles today…. Went down to the Owls Nest biker cafe in Llandovery……it was closed.. doh..🤪🤪

Good to see nice bike used all year round.

Sent from my HRY-LX1T using Tapatalk

Master
    Had a short ride out today, and this nice little chap was taking food from my hand… it’s the simple stuff that makes me smile😎😁

And rightly so, good to hear that you're getting out and about.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Anyone got or tried a CCM?
    I was thinking on getting another Triumph but this little beauty has caught my eye....

Cheers,

Adam.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by stoneyloon View Post
    Anyone got or tried a CCM?
    I was thinking on getting another Triumph but this little beauty has caught my eye....

Cheers,

Adam.
    Have a look on Sales corner, there was one for sale not long ago.

Quote Originally Posted by higham5 View Post
    Have a look on Sales corner, there was one for sale not long ago.
    Madeofcheese and hhhh both have one as well. Not sure if there are any others.

Master

Cafes

Thought I’d make a post recommending (or not) as the case may be, some of the cafes I visit on my travels….

Today’s contribution is Cafe Carys near the Brigands Inn just off the A470 near Dinas Mawddwy

Fantastic roads in the area, and a lovely view from the cafe itself. There’s also a petrol station and (basic) toilets.

Now please remember we’re talking about cafe food here, if you want gourmet look elsewhere.

All day breakfast, is very very good, served hot and as far as I can tell quality ingredients. Milky coffee was piping hot too.

https://vymaps.com/GB/Caffi-Carys-O1899046069/

Master
    ^^^ Yup. Been to that one, and it's all good (for what it is). I have to agree with your assessment of the toilets. Basic indeed.

Master

Cafes…

Here are 2 to avoid IMO

Lakeside cafe at Blaenau Ffestiniog.. Lovely venue, but on my one and only visit I have to say the food was Rubbish. If I were to return it’d be just for a cuppa

Trawsfynydd lake side Cafe…Again lovely venue, and it used to be good, but my last visit will be my last visit… Luke warm pies and crappy sandwiches.. they blame COVID. But I just think they’ve got lazy and can’t be bothered… it’s ok for a cuppa, but that’s it.
    https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowUs...les_Wales.html

Master
    New arrival the Michelin Road 6 to go on the H2SX

Sent from my ELS-NX9 using Tapatalk