Results 5,101 to 5,150 of 17668

Thread: More bike related stuff

Banned
    Blog Entries
    MCN as a source of policy. Really?

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Skyman View Post
    MCN as a source of policy. Really? You guys in the UK are truly lost if you think recreational biking, without restriction, is the right thing to do. Honestly, does it feel right when you are out and about? I imagine not.

Quote Originally Posted by djjuk View Post
    Loving the weather and empty roads.....
    Good pic with a nice vista - where is that?

Quote Originally Posted by E_2_Right-Force View Post
    Good pic with a nice vista - where is that?
    Cheers. Somerset levels near Glastonbury.

Master
    MCN as a source of policy. Really?
    Really. If you bother to read it, you'll see the "policy" comes from the government.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by downer View Post
    Really. If you bother to read it, you'll see the "policy" comes from the government.
    A bit like other recent announcements from Gov UK such as the (non-existent) reciprocal agreement with France regarding non-quarantine. Mate, life has changed. A blast is passé. For now.

Master
    A bit like other recent announcements from Gov UK such as the (non-existent) reciprocal agreement with France regarding non-quarantine. Mate, life has changed. A blast is passé. For now.
    Absolute nonsense. I'm done with arguing the point with you.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Absolute nonsense. I'm done with arguing the point with you.
    So you argue a gratuitous blast is socially responsible. FUBAR. IMHO. Out of that little bubble you are in, you will be frowned upon. Trust me.
    Last edited by Skyman; 16th May 2020 at 18:59.

Master
    Exercising the CB again today. Love this bike!
    Likewise, fantastic ride out today. 125 miles all around the lovely county of Shropshire. Fish n Chips in Newport, and back through Bridgenorth.

Had an official looking chap with a high viz and a clipboard come over to chat about the bikes, and then thanked us for observing social distancing and visiting Newport. My mate was sat on one bench eating his food, I was sat on another.

Took both my bikes to the dealer yesterday for a service and MOT...only to discover when I got home one hadn’t been MOTd after all...that will need sorting this week.

Went on the R9T today for work to do some Mental Health Act assessments around the city. Had some new tyres fitted yesterday and could not believe the difference they made to the handling. The originals were 5 years old with 6k on them but I was not expecting the improvement which was like night and day.

Did a little bike cleaning today too after my Scrambler ride. Out again tomorrow. Roll on Summer!

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
    Likewise, fantastic ride out today. 125 miles all around the lovely county of Shropshire. Fish n Chips in Newport, and back through Bridgenorth.

Had an official looking chap with a high viz and a clipboard come over to chat about the bikes, and then thanked us for observing social distancing and visiting Newport. My mate was sat on one bench eating his food, I was sat on another.

Very weird seeing the town I grew up in on a post on here! Recognised the memorial in the first pic!
    Hope the weather stayed nice for you. Zachs for chips?

Master

Well yesterday I went here on my bike

The garage, feeling envious as still on full lockdown in Wales. Due to be reviewed in 2 weeks , so our release will seem sweeter. Including the ubiquitous “ shopping “ runs I have done less than 30 miles since early March across all four bikes!

@ Skyman - Simon - You've been on this thread at least twice as some kind of self appointed lock-down prefect and similarly elsewhere on the forum ranting about cyclists.

If all you want to do is bring preachy negativity, I'm pretty sure I speak for many to say, keep it to yourself.

I'll not partake in further discourse on this subject with you.

Have a nice day. I'm off for a ride on my push bike later - It'll be fantastic
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jkb89 View Post
    Very weird seeing the town I grew up in on a post on here! Recognised the memorial in the first pic!
    Hope the weather stayed nice for you. Zachs for chips?
    Yes, and mighty fine they were too👍

Craftsman
    My mate got his old airhead out today..

Nice, I like that! Not everyones cup of tea but I think the old airheads have so much character. Mine is an ex police bike in standard trim and I'm resisting the urge to make a cafe racer or flat tracker style out of it - but I do think that's been done to death so might just tidy it and put a bigger set of pistons in it to get a little more power.

Definitely agree, I'm after an original airhead that hasn't been touched as I love them in standard form. Also, untouched ones may become more collectible as most will get retrofied

Nothing against it BTW, I had an R Nine T Racer!
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddiex View Post
    Nice, I like that! Not everyones cup of tea but I think the old airheads have so much character. Mine is an ex police bike in standard trim and I'm resisting the urge to make a cafe racer or flat tracker style out of it - but I do think that's been done to death so might just tidy it and put a bigger set of pistons in it to get a little more power.
    Sent from my SM-G977B using TZ-UK mobile app

The BMWs aren’t really my cup of tea but I do like Yamaha XV conversions.

None of these are mine and all are/were for sale on eBay.

I was just looking at the BMW R1200RT on SC and thinking what a great custom that would make, as it is the last and biggest of the boxer twin air-cooled engines (I think).

Turns out it has already been done.

I think this looks amazing

I am going to have to think about that very seriously.

Dave

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post

None of these are mine and all are/were for sale on eBay.
    The XV's can look nice when converted.

I currently have a hankering for an MT-01

Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    The XV's can look nice when converted.

I currently have a hankering for an MT-01

Someone on here recently sold one. Shame he didn’t list if on SC as I’d have been interested in it too.

Master

Fancy a 6 cylinder?

Then build your own

Blog Entries
    Someone on here recently sold one. Shame he didn’t list if on SC as I’d have been interested in it too.
    Yes, something a bit ....'Brough brutal'.... about them!

Blog Entries
    Then build your own

Thats quite an engineering achievement for a home engineer. Mind you, the standard 4cyl one I had in the day was enough for me!

Now, where's that thread about seller remorse...............

Problem I've got with XV conversions is that I remember them being not very good and a bit troublesome when they were new, and I kind of doubt 30ish years on they have improved with age.

It's a bit like the CX500 based cafe racers that I've seen with big price tags. I always remember the poor main bearings and camchain problems that seemed to affect them all, and having taken them apart to fix these problems, how shoddy the inside of the motors were.

I had my R65 and a CX apart in the garage at the same time - the BMW for a performance upgrade and the Honda to make one good one out of 2 broken ones and there was no way the engine parts could get mixed up.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by sweets View Post
    I was just looking at the BMW R1200RT on SC and thinking what a great custom that would make, as it is the last and biggest of the boxer twin air-cooled engines (I think).

Turns out it has already been done.

I think this looks amazing

I am going to have to think about that very seriously.

Dave
    Cool bike! I don't have the skill set to custom build that sort of thing so for me he R9T tick a lot of boxes for me and is similar enough to that one.

Some nice bikes in this thread!

More bike related stuff

Quote Originally Posted by Gyp View Post
    Problem I've got with XV conversions is that I remember them being not very good and a bit troublesome when they were new, and I kind of doubt 30ish years on they have improved with age.

It's a bit like the CX500 based cafe racers that I've seen with big price tags. I always remember the poor main bearings and camchain problems that seemed to affect them all, and having taken them apart to fix these problems, how shoddy the inside of the motors were.

I had my R65 and a CX apart in the garage at the same time - the BMW for a performance upgrade and the Honda to make one good one out of 2 broken ones and there was no way the engine parts could get mixed up.
    I don’t disagree and would want to build my own so I’d probably start with an engine rebuild and retire. Also, I doubt it would do many miles anyway.

I’ve never really warmed to Hondas either for the same reason as you; the engineering of both Suzukis and particularly Kawasakis of the late seventies and early eighties was head and shoulders above that of Hondas. The super dream, cx500/650 and early vf750 are classic examples of poor, over complicated engines designed in a failed attempt to show off their engineering superiority.

I’m sure that models such as the cbr600, vfr750 and Fireblade changed all that but apart from a short period with an Xr250 for green laneing, I’ve never owned or wanted a Honda.
    Last edited by Dave+63; 17th May 2020 at 17:17.

I don’t disagree and would want to build my own so I’d probably start with an engine rebuild and retire. Also, I doubt it would do many miles anyway.

I’ve never really warmed to Hondas either for the same reason as you; the engineering of both Suzukis and particularly Kawasakis of the late seventies and early eighties was head and shoulders above that of Hondas. The super dream, cx500/650 and early vf750 are classic examples of poor, over complicated engines designed in a failed attempt to show off their engineering superiority.

I’m sure that models such as the cbr600, vfr750 and Fireblade changed all that but apart from a short period with an Xr250 for green laneing, I’ve never owned or wanted a Honda.
    The VFR 750 is the best all rounder I've had (early 90s version, not the Carat). Quality was superb. I always found Suzukis excellent value for money but you could tell why they were significantly cheaper.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

My turn for the ride-out shot whilst on a recce for a field to fly from (taken with my ride-out `phone of choice an ancient Nokia hence the grainy image)

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    The VFR 750 is the best all rounder I've had (early 90s version, not the Carat). Quality was superb. I always found Suzukis excellent value for money but you could tell why they were significantly cheaper.
    The Vfr was Honda’s answer to the disaster that was the chocolate cam vf750 and was a great engine. Still over complicated though.

Honda have always been great with fit/finish and paintwork (unlike Suzuki) but their engineering did let them down at times.

I’m am referring to bikes built between about 1976 and 1985 but it put me off them for life.

Obviously, I’m in a minority because Honda are the world’s largest motorcycle manufacturer.

Quote Originally Posted by Gyp View Post

Indeed, it's virtually impossible to polish a turd no matter how hard you try.
    It always amazes me when someone selects what was a POS in it's day as the basis for development.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by andy tims View Post
    @ Skyman - Simon - You've been on this thread at least twice as some kind of self appointed lock-down prefect and similarly elsewhere on the forum ranting about cyclists.

If all you want to do is bring preachy negativity, I'm pretty sure I speak for many to say, keep it to yourself.

I'll not partake in further discourse on this subject with you.

Have a nice day. I'm off for a ride on my push bike later - It'll be fantastic
    Andy, yes you are right. I have overstepped the mark, which was and is entirely inappropriate. Please accept my apologies.
    S

The Vfr was Honda’s answer to the disaster that was the chocolate cam vf750 and was a great engine. Still over complicated though.

Honda have always been great with fit/finish and paintwork (unlike Suzuki) but their engineering did let them down at times.

I’m am referring to bikes built between about 1976 and 1985 but it put me off them for life.

Obviously, I’m in a minority because Honda are the world’s largest motorcycle manufacturer.
    The first Honda I rode was a 1975 750. It was in 76, with my American licence. It was awesome for the kid I was, especially as American roads in general did not exactly torture the rather flexible frame.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

I don't think it was that complicated Dave....well...it was....but it wasn't an issue....but I digress...
    Owned a few, they were fabulous to work on (with the exception of having to drop the engine to remove the rear headers.) Although a V4, the valve gear was a dream, each bank had its own cassette which could be pulled out by removing just 2 bolts. Simples. Valve adjustment was a 40 min tappet adjust job....no bucket & shims...heaven!
    Electrics were bullet proof too, providing you took care of the connectors. The VFR was deliberately over engineered to claw back some of the lost Honda respect after the VF fiasco that you mentioned.
    Great bike, wish I'd kept my last one....*sighs*

Master

Exactly what I’m sat on here..Belonged to my mate, and spent more time off the road than on it. He got rid ASAP and bought a GPz750 Turbo, now that was a great piece of kit and 100% reliable.

Andy, yes you are right. I have overstepped the mark, which was and is entirely inappropriate. Please accept my apologies.
    S
    Fair enough.

Apology accepted.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

More bike related stuff

Quote Originally Posted by Tifa View Post
    I don't think it was that complicated Dave....well...it was....but it wasn't an issue....but I digress...
    Owned a few, they were fabulous to work on (with the exception of having to drop the engine to remove the rear headers.) Although a V4, the valve gear was a dream, each bank had its own cassette which could be pulled out by removing just 2 bolts. Simples.
    I’ve just stripped two vfr800 motors (I wasn’t previously aware that the Vtec had gone back to cam chains!) and really struggled getting the cam gears out. There were four bolts, two of which were a struggle to get to and then another one that was hard to find. Perhaps I was doing something wrong?

The VFR was certainly a great engine though, there’s no denying that.

They both also had buckets and shims so that must also be a change between the 750 and 800.

Exactly what I’m sat on here..Belonged to my mate, and spent more time off the road than on it. He got rid ASAP and bought a GPz750 Turbo, now that was a great piece of kit and 100% reliable.

I like the GPz750 Enoch. Not got a turbo though!

Master

I remember going to Santa Pod in the early 80’s, folk were running Suzuki GS1000’s with nitrous and getting staggering times And outputs eg well over twice stock, unbreakable.

Lovely 100 miles on the road today, starting at home and encompassing Sarratt, Croxley Green, Denham, Datchet, Windsor, Runnymeade and Chobham (and then back again after a spot of lunch). Fantastic twisty route too (thanks Howard ).

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by higham5 View Post
    I remember going to Santa Pod in the early 80’s, folk were running Suzuki GS1000’s with nitrous and getting staggering times And outputs eg well over twice stock, unbreakable.
    A grunt monster from back in the day... 20 years old and clueless. How the heck did I survive?

Fitted with a Marshall and no baffles

A grunt monster from back in the day... 20 years old and clueless. How the heck did I survive?

Fitted with a Marshall and no baffles
    At that age I was riding a tuned 250LC, with clipons, rearsets and no sense of my own mortality. Within 2 years I was on a litre bike (K100RS) and using it in a spirited manner every day for a 70 mile cross country round trip to work.

And when I think back to the amount of riding I did on big bikes in the snow...

Happy with 67bhp and a bag for my sandwiches now.

The thought of my lad jumping on a litre bike now terrifies me, mainly because I know how I rode at his age.

Master
    Just had a call from my dealer....Bobber TFC Build Number 50, should be with me on Wednesday.

And I’ve just been forcibly reminded that it’s also my 25th wedding anniversary.
    Last edited by Enoch; 18th May 2020 at 11:29.

Master
    Just had a call from my dealer....Bobber TFC Build Number 50, should be with me on Wednesday.

And I’ve just been forcibly reminded that it’s also my 25th wedding anniversary.
    Nice one. Are you going to keep this one at factory spec - other than adding forward controls and exhaust as you've already mentioned?

Master
    Nice one. Are you going to keep this one at factory spec - other than adding forward controls and exhaust as you've already mentioned?
    Yes. It’s just going to get the forward controls, decat, and I have a nice headlight bezel from my old Bobber, and I may bling up the engine cases with some titanium bolts.

But anything I do, can be easily put back to stock..

Just sorted the insurance. £250 quid, not to bad as I have zero NCB. All the NCB I have is used on the other bikes.

Master
    Blog Entries
    which insurance company?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by higham5 View Post
    Used to enjoy the 'Run what you brung' meets at Santa Pod in those days when I had Japanese fours.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bwest76 View Post
    which insurance company?
    I went through Adrian Flux. Not sure of the company yet as I’m still waiting for the docs to be emailed...

I tried a few comparison sites, but non of them listed the Bobber TFC in their drop down menus so had to call around.

The Ducati cost me £204
    Speedmaster was £160, but not a full year as it was the old Bobber policy that was already running.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    Used to enjoy the 'Run what you brung' meets at Santa Pod in those days when I had Japanese fours.
    I used to enter at Santa Pod and Long Marsden... best time was a 10.5 on my ZZR1100

Craftsman

I've not been following new models that have been introduced over the last few years but I've seen one of these frequently riding past near to where I live which happens to near to the main dealer - Jack Lilleys. I assumed it was a cool one custom made bike! Very nice and I see that it's a limited run and the Rocket and Thruxton are sold out. I do love some of the custom bobbers that are shown at places like the Bike Shed at Tobacco Dock but to be fair if you can buy them ready made from the factory..............! Makes a lot of sense for many people I reckon!