Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
Actually, Scott, most of the reviews I’ve read or watch suggest that the fittings on the Triumph are superb, and that the ride is probably the better of the two. Given that it barks back the bikes my friends road when I was a yoof there’s an emotional attachment two.

That said, they’re both beautiful and neither could possibly be a mistake. That said, I’ll have another look at the BMW options.

Edit: Looked again. There's no way I'm gong straight onto a 1200cc bike (and doubt I ever will), and I don't like them as much anyway.
;)

The BMW is an acquired taste - the engine is my favourite power delivery for a non-sports bike.

Most Triumphs I’ve seen have cheap parts, such as the bolts, levers, circlips etc. Not an issue if the bike is keep in a garage and dried off after rides, but ours has suffered from the elements. I’m sure the cheaper bikes you had originally looked at would have faired no better though in comparison. The BMW would come with better suspension, span adjustable levers, and better finishing kit as standard. That pushes the RRP up a fair bit though, and all those things can be changed fairly easily - it’s just the time/hassle.

I like the older look. If money was no object I’d be buying a Norton before looking at the Triumph - but probably 2.5 - 3 times the price for a similar age modern bike.

The Triumph is a heavier bike, probably a good 30+ kilos more than the Ducati. The Ducati is too softly suspended for a lot of riders, and maybe a few of the fatter jurnos in testing ;) But, it has upside down from forks, and a single rear shocker - so any adjustments/update should be more beneficial. Triumph are a little cheeky as their blurb about their bikes is still dry weights, with no fluids anywhere and I believe without the battery.

The Ducati does look a lot more modern, as that the styling they have gone for. The Triumph is a hark back to the good ole days, and they have done it well, albeit there isn’t too much that modern about the twin bikes, accept thankfully the electronics!