closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 94 of 357 FirstFirst ... 44849293949596104144194 ... LastLast
Results 4,651 to 4,700 of 17848

Thread: More bike related stuff

Quote Originally Posted by Groundrush View Post
    You’re not the only one. It looks like BMW tried to cram every bad design idea anyone ever had into one motorcycle.
    There speaks a man that has never owned a Harley Sportster

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Oooh... it’s here!

Good God, looks like a Cossack!
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt8500 View Post
    I did the same, whilst I’m itching to go for a proper ride it doesn’t seem responsible.
    Fully agree.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Fully agree.
    Yep. Will have to resort to a wash on the driveway, and start the engine just to “check the plugs are clean”?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
    Full day today on the quick shifter install.... it’s plug and play, but by eck them plugs ain’t easy to access...

I’m not used to working on a Ducati, so it’s a fairly steep learning curve. So far I’ve installed the main loom which connects to the 4 coils, the trouble is that unlike a straight 4 the coils are all over the place. Anyway it’s done, and it looks neat and tidy.

Tomorrow will be mounting the shift sensor, and the quick shift unit itself..

Just watched your video, Enoch. You have my respect for doing what looks to be a damn complicated task!

Oooh... it’s here!

Oh dear, not for me!

More bike related stuff

How many of us today are sat looking out of the window on this beautiful day thinking Sh*t.. I want to throw my leg over what’s in the garage for a hour..
    It’s been a long Wet Winter..

Tough times indeed..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Thewatchbloke View Post
    Oh dear, not for me!
    Nor for me, Duncan. The again. neither is a Roadglide but I can still appreciate the beauty of it.

I think the R18 is an incredible machine, based on the videos and write-ups I've seen to date. I won't ever think of buying one but I'd LOVE to take one out fo a test

Master

More bike related stuff

Horses for course, and it’s definitely not for me, but I actually think it’s been pretty sensitively done (except for that exhaust, hideous!).

That said, for what I imagine it cost you could probably get a really nice custom job done on an original air-cooled bmw and it would be totally original.

The designers have clearly taken their inspiration from the custom scene for this one anyway.

Master
    Video of my quick shifter install...

Quote Originally Posted by MadeOfCheese View Post
    Horses for course, and it’s definitely not for me, but I actually think it’s been pretty sensitively done (except for that exhaust, hideous!).

That said, for what I imagine it cost you could probably get a really nice custom job done on an original air-cooled bmw and it would be totally original.

The designers have clearly taken their inspiration from the custom scene for this one anyway.
    You think?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by downer View Post
    Just watched your video, Enoch. You have my respect for doing what looks to be a damn complicated task!
    Cheers... yep it was much more involved than I expected, but most of it was down to the bike I was working on rather than the kit itself..

The instructions were pretty generic and not bike specific. The main problem is access, and how much stuff Ducati have crammed into a small space.
    The plugs on the supplied wiring loom just won’t go where you want them to go as everything’s so tight.
    Being unfamiliar with the bike made the task harder. I had no idea when I started that the front cylinder coils were right at the front of the belly pan. Even getting the tank off for the first time was tricky.

The good thing was I took my time, nothing got damaged or broken, and I learned a lot about the bike..

I’d love to have got the massive airbox off and that would have improved access no end, but honestly it looked like a massive task with pipes, and connectors absolutely everywhere, some of which I couldn’t even get my hands on... So i decided, best leave it...

Can’t wait to try it on a proper run though👍👍

Master
    Ok, not JUST from the custom scene ;)

Quote Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
    Can’t wait to try it on a proper run though
    Yup...they're a whole lot of fun.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveM112 View Post
    How many of us today are sat looking out of the window on this beautiful day thinking Sh*t.. I want to throw my leg over what’s in the garage for a hour..
    It’s been a long Wet Winter..

Tough times indeed..

Yes, have a bike with less than 100 miles on the clock just waiting to be run in.

Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    Yes, have a bike with less than 100 miles on the clock just waiting to be run in.
    Surely an hour out clearing the brain fog not stopping or meeting with others is as good as the once a day hour of on foot exercise being recommended..

Or is it just socially unacceptable in these times..

Quote Originally Posted by SteveM112 View Post
    Surely an hour out clearing the brain fog not stopping or meeting with others is as good as the once a day hour of on foot exercise being recommended..

Or is it just socially unacceptable in these times..

I think that's something that we need to make our own decisions about. There are cars around everywhere, and yesterday it was clear that they weren't all occupied by lone drivers. Similarly, I saw three or four bikes that were being ridden two-up.

I've had a couple of careful local rides over the last few days, and no doubt will again. If that makes me irresponsible in some peoples' eyes then so be it, but it helps me retain a degree of positive mental health.

personally i think its less about lone riding being a problem and more about the fact the due to how overloaded the NHS is at the moment if god forbid someone here was in a bike accident they may be waiting a hell of a lot longer to get help and the beds they might need (critical care) are in short supply.

Quote Originally Posted by pugster View Post
    personally i think its less about lone riding being a problem and more about the fact the due to how overloaded the NHS is at the moment if god forbid someone here was in a bike accident they may be waiting a hell of a lot longer to get help and the beds they might need (critical care) are in short supply.
    This.

You can try and justify it however you like. However the ask is clear, and it’s unfair on overstretched NHS staff to take the unnecessary risk.

Sorry, i just don’t believe we get to pick and chose what rules apply to us. It’s just as bad as people in parks and on the beach. The point is to reduce pressure in the system from all causes.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt8500 View Post
    This.

You can try and justify it however you like. However the ask is clear, and it’s unfair on overstretched NHS staff to take the unnecessary risk.

Sorry, i just don’t believe we get to pick and chose what rules apply to us. It’s just as bad as people in parks and on the beach. The point is to reduce pressure in the system from all causes.
    I don't think those two examples are remotely comparable, but I respect your point of view nonetheless.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Now I AM interested. It’s lovely.

Can I take this onto email please

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by hhhh View Post
    Thanks Jim.

A couple of better photos...

I’d love to be able to say it was a barn find that I’d completely restored, but that would be way beyond my skill-set unfortunately.

I’m alright at buying stuff though, and bought the bike in that condition. I’ve only had it since January, but have now got the hots for the original HRC Africa Twin.

I don't think those two examples are remotely comparable, but I respect your point of view nonetheless.
    We can agree to disagree on the relative severity Tony, but they are both illegal currently for obvious reasons.

You are completely wrong Tony and it is very sad to see how you continue to try and use the forum to justify this to yourself.

Matt's point is that NHS staff are being asked to go to work in extraordinary circumstances, far beyond the comprehension of someone with a working background in the corporate sector. Doctors and nurses are working in general hospitals where they are exposed to a huge risk of infection. Many of the Spanish and Italian fatalities were healthcare workers and they are disproportionately affected due to their levels of exposure. Factor in the additional shifts (that is nights, weekends, 12 hours at a time) they are working and the strain from colleagues who are off sick or self-isoalting and the job becomes more and more difficult.

When you choose to ride a bike you are putting yourself at increased risk of death or injury compared with the same journey in a car. That's why we have been advised to travel when it is only absolutely necessary, and it is not necessary to ride to a local supermarket with a rucksack on your back for 'supplies' when you can do the same journey in a car and fill the boot with many multiples of the same volume and reduce the frequency of the need to replenish.

Whilst there are NHS workers living in hotels and actively moving out of their homes so that they do not risk infecting their loved ones with underlying health conditions, I'd urge you to think of how lucky you are to have the time to spare to ponder taking your bike out for a ride, when others are not so blessed, and simply stay at home.

More bike related stuff

Quote Originally Posted by j0hnbarker View Post
    You are completely wrong Tony and it is very sad to see how you continue to try and use the forum to justify this to yourself.

Matt's point is that NHS staff are being asked to go to work in extraordinary circumstances, far beyond the comprehension of someone with a working background in the corporate sector. Doctors and nurses are working in general hospitals where they are exposed to a huge risk of infection. Many of the Spanish and Italian fatalities were healthcare workers and they are disproportionately affected due to their levels of exposure. Factor in the additional shifts (that is nights, weekends, 12 hours at a time) they are working and the strain from colleagues who are off sick or self-isoalting and the job becomes more and more difficult.

When you choose to ride a bike you are putting yourself at increased risk of death or injury compared with the same journey in a car. That's why we have been advised to travel when it is only absolutely necessary, and it is not necessary to ride to a local supermarket with a rucksack on your back for 'supplies' when you can do the same journey in a car and fill the boot with many multiples of the same volume and reduce the frequency of the need to replenish.

Whilst there are NHS workers living in hotels and actively moving out of their homes so that they do not risk infecting their loved ones with underlying health conditions, I'd urge you to think of how lucky you are to have the time to spare to ponder taking your bike out for a ride, when others are not so blessed, and simply stay at home.
    Again, I think the point your making is moot, although I’m as aware as everyone else of the colossal efforts being made by health care workers across the globe. As for “using the forum to justify myself”... errr, no, I’m just offering a point of view.

In the last week I’ve been out for two very sedate 15 minute rides on local, near-empty roads. That doesn’t warrant your response, whether you agree with me or not, so please refrain from the lectures. Those two rides aside I’ve been - and will continue to be - exceedingly careful in everything I do, and everywhere I go.

I haven’t personally been out riding in the recent lockdown but to use the NHS as a reason why I should not ride is quite frankly IMO ridiculous and hysterical..
    I have been riding motorcycles on and off road for more than 50 years and have never had to use the resources of our wonderful NHS who I have the utmost respect for with 2 sisters being front line Nurses in these unprecedented times...
    At my age i am more likely to trip up on a raised pavement slab or cut my fingers off on my table saw but luckily so far I have survived these hazards of everyday life..
    I will have to consider banning my sons from having a kick about in the garden as my youngest broke his arm twice in 9 months playing football in recent years..

Again, I think the point your making is moot, although I’m as aware as everyone else of the colossal efforts being made by health care workers across the globe. As for “using the forum to justify myself”... errr, no, I’m just offering a point of view.

In the last week I’ve been out for two very sedate 15 minute rides on local, near-empty roads. That doesn’t warrant your response, whether you agree with me or not, so please refrain from the lectures. Those two rides aside I’ve been - and will continue to be - exceedingly careful in everything I do, and everywhere I go.
    Yesterday you posted asking who had been out for a ride 'for whatever reason'. If that isn't seeking some justification for your own irresponsible actions then I'm not sure what is.

With regards to the arguments about 'riding for 50 years', or 'just riding around local roads', or 'going to the shops for a bottle of pop', or 'tripping over in the back garden', let me just be really clear to everyone speaking as a doctor and a motorcyclist: if you come off your 200kg bike, even at low speed, you are very likely to need some form of operation in terms of nailing or plating your broken bones and grafting bits of skin from other bits of your body to replace the bits you left on the road. This will require an ambulance, an A&E visit, an operating theatre including an anaesthetist who might otherwise be in ICU looking after CV19 patients, two surgeons, two or three ODPs, recovery nurses, a recovery bed if it's not in use treating CV19 patients and maybe even an ICU stay itself. This is all the more likely given that many of the motorcyclists on here are 50+ and would be more likely to require these types of interventions after a spill. All of those resources are currently stretched to the absolute limit.

The odds of an accident might be low but the consequential drain on resources is high should this occur, which is why it is important to stay off our bikes for the next few weeks until this is over and we can all get back to normal. If this comes across as lecturing or hectoring then I can live with that having first-hand experience of what is happening on the ground in the health system currently.

I did not want to start an argument, but the reality is we have been asked not to go out unless necessary. This is to prevent spread of the disease, and to lower the accident rate both in cars and on bikes.

I love bikes but they are inherently dangerous (approx. 20k injuries a year), and it’s not that hard to abstain for a few weeks.

The NHS is massively overstretched across much of the country, so anything we can do to help not add to this seems reasonable and responsible (not just riding bikes).

Anyway, as you were - make your personal choice and stay safe. I just hope you think seriously about it. I also hope we can all meet up for a blast once this crap is over.

As an aside, apparently Loomies car park is full today (a friend lives near there), some people give the rest of us a terrible reputation... utter stupidity that will result in an even stricter lockdown.

I’m enjoying my Garden and complying 100% with the advice given but I have heard nothing but the roar or motorcycles since the early hours this morning heading towards he coast it seems some are taking this advice more seriously than others..

Yesterday you posted asking who had been out for a ride 'for whatever reason'. If that isn't seeking some justification for your own irresponsible actions then I'm not sure what is.

With regards to the arguments about 'riding for 50 years', or 'just riding around local roads', or 'going to the shops for a bottle of pop', or 'tripping over in the back garden', let me just be really clear to everyone speaking as a doctor and a motorcyclist: if you come off your 200kg bike, even at low speed, you are very likely to need some form of operation in terms of nailing or plating your broken bones and grafting bits of skin from other bits of your body to replace the bits you left on the road. This will require an ambulance, an A&E visit, an operating theatre including an anaesthetist who might otherwise be in ICU looking after CV19 patients, two surgeons, two or three ODPs, recovery nurses, a recovery bed if it's not in use treating CV19 patients and maybe even an ICU stay itself. This is all the more likely given that many of the motorcyclists on here are 50+ and would be more likely to require these types of interventions after a spill. All of those resources are currently stretched to the absolute limit.

The odds of an accident might be low but the consequential drain on resources is high should this occur, which is why it is important to stay off our bikes for the next few weeks until this is over and we can all get back to normal. If this comes across as lecturing or hectoring then I can live with that having first-hand experience of what is happening on the ground in the health system currently.
    Here's what I think, John. You can use whatever over-dramatised scenarios you like, but you're not me, nor are you in my shoes. Foe weeks now, I've been struggling with a near-certainty that (being in a very vulnerable group from a medical perpsective) if I pick up the virus it'll kill me; my business faces almost certain financial ruin or, at the very least, I'm likely to see a lifetime of savings wiped out; and I have a heavily pregnant daughter in NYC who I'm immensely worried about and whom I can't see in person (and likely won't now for many months).

I sleep at the moment for three to four hours a night, going to bed - and then waking up - with a great deal on my mind. If taking the bike out for 15 minutes, once or twice a week, keeps me sane (particularly whilst there are still millions of people in the UK going to work every day), then that's what I'll do. Yes, I'll be much more careful than normal, and no - I don't need lectures, be that from you or anyone else.

Edited to add: On one of those two ventures out, I stopped at little Tesco for some brown rice, sweet potato and semi-skimmed milk (all of which we need urgently). Am I still a cnut for not using the car instead?
    Last edited by learningtofly; 5th April 2020 at 16:02.

Master
    Blog Entries
    As things stand I haven't got my bike back, I was sure I would ride it when it arrived that was my thinking 6 weeks ago.

But not now, I feel uncomfortable even leaving my house late at night to get some exercise and avoid people.

I see a lot of people justifying all kinds of actions,I feel that is not in the spirit of the situation nor the guidelines we are given,if everyone was driving/riding around what then?

If someone used their bike to go get medicine or food no problem but the guidelines are very clear.

staying at home is a very small sacrifice compared to what we are asking of our NHS workers who know that they are putting themselves at risk every time they enter a hospital,some have died.

People are dying more will die we are nowhere near peak yet.

1. When am I allowed to leave the house?
    You should only leave the house for very limited purposes:

shopping for basic necessities, for example food and medicine, which must be as infrequent as possible
    one form of exercise a day, for example a run, walk, or cycle - alone or with members of your household
    any medical need, including to donate blood, avoid or escape risk of injury or harm, or to provide care or to help a vulnerable person
    travelling for work purposes, but only where you cannot work from hom

https://www.gov.uk/government/public...an-and-cant-do

Here's what I think, John. You can use whatever over-dramatised scenarios you like, but you're not me, nor are you in my shoes. Foe weeks now, I've been struggling with a near-certainty that (being in a very vulnerable group from a medical perpsective) if I pick up the virus it'll kill me; my business faces almost certain financial ruin or, at the very least, I'm likely to see a lifetime of savings wiped out; and I have a heavily pregnant daughter in NYC who I'm immensely worried about and whom I can't see in person (and likely won't now for many months).

I sleep at the moment for three to four hours a night, going to bed - and then waking up - with a great deal on my mind. If taking the bike out for 15 minutes, once or twice a week, keeps me sane (particularly whilst there are still millions of people in the UK going to work every day), then that's what I'll do. Yes, I'll be much more careful than normal, and no - I don't need lectures, be that from you or anyone else.
    That's correct, I am not in your shoes, nor do I need to be to see that you are still searching for reasons to justify your behaviour, which I think deep down you realise is fundamentally unjustifiable, hence your upping the ante here. The scenario I gave is not over dramatised - it is based on specific experience I have of working in these settings which you do not have, therefore you are not placed to offer an informed opinion as to whether it is 'over dramatised' or not.

There are plenty of others in similar situations who are facing far more challenging circumstances right now. I gave the example of medical colleagues having to leave their family homes, or be redeployed to work in hospitals or settings that they are unfamiliar with. I too face potential redeployment and suffer with an underlying health condition that places me in the 'at risk' group. My usual social outlets are closed to me and my parents are in the 'high risk' group and live 100 miles from me. That said I cannot and will not thumb my nose at the rest of society by taking one of my bikes out for a ride, even though I would enjoy it immensely, because this won't last forever and the bikes will still be there when this crisis has passed.

At times of stress it's important to look after our mental wellbeing, and in general that is something that is supported by trying to eat and sleep well, and taking some form of exercise. Social contact with family and friends is also important and we are lucky that we live in an age where this is much more readily supported by technology than it would have been 15-20 years ago. For the time being at least we can still take one form of exercise per day and we can all contact those close to us using technology and I would recommend that everyone does this wherever possible.

Oooh... it’s here!

Looks like it will have the turning circle of an oil tanker.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Quote Originally Posted by andy tims View Post
    Looks like it will have the turning circle of an oil tanker.
    probably not one for London traffic

I’m not currently riding my motorcycle but I am riding my pedal cycle most days. I’ve just come from Facebook where the anti cycling brigade are having a field day.

We all need to do what we believe to be ‘right’ and not be too swift to judge others.

However....sitting in the garden this afternoon I can hardly read my book for the constant noise from high powered sports bike clearly ‘giving it some’ around the M25!! It’s like being at the Moto GP. I’d be more than happy to be judgmental over those idiots.

Quote Originally Posted by andy tims View Post
    Looks like it will have the turning circle of a Harley.
    I've corrected that for you :-)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Gyp View Post
    I've corrected that for you :-)
    "Bad workman blames his tools!" (no I couldn't do it when I had one!)

Master
    Having fun in the garage..

More bike related stuff

Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    "Bad workman blames his tools!" (no I couldn't do it when I had one!)

'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I dont get how the bike didnt fall when you put it upright then let go?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bwest76 View Post
    I dont get how the bike didnt fall when you put it upright then let go?
    There was a piece of wood under the side stand, just so it stands a bit more upright.. it’s still leaning to the left, but only just..

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    It's an interesting thing. Have tried it at speed to see the direction change but never consciously doing tight turns. Although I presume that it must be happening!

I am not proficient with it as there is always the tiny apprehension that it will fall in but I have tried it a couple of times and it really works. It’s the slowing down bit to get your handlebar at full lock that I find difficult. And of course if you don’t the turn is considerably wider.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

That's correct, I am not in your shoes, nor do I need to be to see that you are still searching for reasons to justify your behaviour, which I think deep down you realise is fundamentally unjustifiable, hence your upping the ante here. The scenario I gave is not over dramatised - it is based on specific experience I have of working in these settings which you do not have, therefore you are not placed to offer an informed opinion as to whether it is 'over dramatised' or not.

There are plenty of others in similar situations who are facing far more challenging circumstances right now. I gave the example of medical colleagues having to leave their family homes, or be redeployed to work in hospitals or settings that they are unfamiliar with. I too face potential redeployment and suffer with an underlying health condition that places me in the 'at risk' group. My usual social outlets are closed to me and my parents are in the 'high risk' group and live 100 miles from me. That said I cannot and will not thumb my nose at the rest of society by taking one of my bikes out for a ride, even though I would enjoy it immensely, because this won't last forever and the bikes will still be there when this crisis has passed.

At times of stress it's important to look after our mental wellbeing, and in general that is something that is supported by trying to eat and sleep well, and taking some form of exercise. Social contact with family and friends is also important and we are lucky that we live in an age where this is much more readily supported by technology than it would have been 15-20 years ago. For the time being at least we can still take one form of exercise per day and we can all contact those close to us using technology and I would recommend that everyone does this wherever possible.
    I've given this whole issue some more thought overnight and today, and think it probably is best to leave the bike parked until the current restrictions are lifted. I think the risk (basically, using it for local shopping on empty roads) was very minimal but I accept that I could have a blow-out or get hit by some idiot. When necessary, the car it is, then.

I've given this whole issue some more thought overnight and today, and think it probably is best to leave the bike parked until the current restrictions are lifted. I think the risk (basically, using it for local shopping on empty roads) was very minimal but I accept that I could have a blow-out or get hit by some idiot. When necessary, the car it is, then.
    i think thats a wise decision , the few times ive been out to get shopping the roads (although clearer) seem to have introduced more prats (pedestrians stepping out without looking ,cyclists thinking they have the road to themselves and car drivers taking less notice than usual) .
    as i said above , i'd be more worried about getting help quickly if something did happen while on the bike (ive seen enough bike accidents in my time to know that speedy medical help is a must )- i think the risk of spreading anything while on a bike are minimal.

i suggest this for those of us that are twitching >
    https://store.steampowered.com/app/1...on_the_Edge_2/
    Last edited by pugster; 6th April 2020 at 14:55.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I admire the way you have handled this it shows great and thought and maturity.

meanwhile if I dont get my bike back (its on a container ship) I will also lose my best riding gear.

Jeans,jacket,shoei,gloves,gopro,tomtom,panniers,Al tbergs,tank bag,souvenirs of my trip and everything else in my panniers.

I am trying not to think about it as there is nothing I can do,in the scheme of things not so important as what others are going through.

Craftsman

Good decision, should you get knocked off or whatever and end up in hospital there is a higher probability that you would catch this horrible virus. The BMW dealer I use is still open for servicing and I’ve completed the mileage for my first “running in service”, tempting as it is I will be leaving it until these restrictions are eased.
    I think once the restrictions are eased the roads will be full of bikers making up for lost time

Quote Originally Posted by boundary546 View Post
    Good decision, should you get knocked off or whatever and end up in hospital there is a higher probability that you would catch this horrible virus. The BMW dealer I use is still open for servicing and I’ve completed the mileage for my first “running in service”, tempting as it is I will be leaving it until these restrictions are eased.
    I think once the restrictions are eased the roads will be full of bikers making up for lost time
    That must be horrendously frustrating

Quote Originally Posted by bwest76 View Post
    I admire the way you have handled this it shows great and thought and maturity.

meanwhile if I dont get my bike back (its on a container ship) I will also lose my best riding gear.

Jeans,jacket,shoei,gloves,gopro,tomtom,panniers,Al tbergs,tank bag,souvenirs of my trip and everything else in my panniers.

I am trying not to think about it as there is nothing I can do,in the scheme of things not so important as what others are going through.
    Why do you think it risk - isn't it just a matter of waiting until you can retrieve it?

I haven't been out on mine for four weeks now and I'm missing it intensely. However, I've used the restrictions to give it a thorough deep clean so not all bad news, although I'd rather be riding it than cleaning it obviously!

Quote Originally Posted by Thewatchbloke View Post
    I haven't been out on mine for four weeks now and I'm missing it intensely. However, I've used the restrictions to give it a thorough deep clean so not all bad news, although I'd rather be riding it than cleaning it obviously!
    Good idea, i may do a full strip down on the bank holiday