closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 316 of 359 FirstFirst ... 216266306314315316317318326 ... LastLast
Results 15,751 to 15,800 of 17921

Thread: More bike related stuff

Quote Originally Posted by higham5 View Post
    Made by Bajaj in the same factory that makes Ktm Duke 390/200’s. Have to say I was sceptical when my 390 came, but every single nut and bolt was tight. Most were “signed off” eg initialled. The quality of the welding is first class. Only issue in 2000 miles of riding is a weak Exide battery in the winter. However a 400 single with a 14:1 compression ratio is never going to be easy to crank over.

I visited a Triumph dealership ( Woods) yesterday. Deliveries are due Jan 24 with real bikes available to view at the bike show in Nov. The Street 400 is heavier and less powerful than my 390. But the styling is much more clasic than the street fighter type look of the Dukes.
    I spoke to my local Triumph dealers last week about them when viewing a Street Twin.

They were quoting late December to mid January, what he did say was don't bank on it though with a cheeky wink thrown in
    He also added as soon as they land the majority will have a deposit paid with a view to take ownership on the 1st March for the new Reg.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by BRGRSP View Post
    I spoke to my local Triumph dealers last week about them when viewing a Street Twin.

They were quoting late December to mid January, what he did say was don't bank on it though with a cheeky wink thrown in
    He also added as soon as they land the majority will have a deposit paid with a view to take ownership on the 1st March for the new Reg.
    Makes a lot of sense that. The dealer said yesterday reservation’s were £400 and they had taken three so far. Realistically who wants a shiny new bike in Jan Feb when salting is at its peak?

The BSA Goldstar launch was nearly 9 months late!

I subscribe to Bike India via Readly, they are expecting deliveries late July so the Sept edition is likely to feature a real test ride. Incidentally the first 2000ish bikes in India are 2.3 lakh which is roughly £2300 rising to £2400. Apparently Triumph have “ knocked it outa the park” to compete with Hero and RE in the domestic market.

I recon Triumph UK will charge £5,600 for the Street and £6,500 for the X …………lets see if Im right.

Makes you wonder if there’s money to be made in buying in India and shipping back to the UK?

There are bound to be some who will pay a premium to be riding them before they are actually available here. I’m sure some of the grey importers will be looking into it.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    Makes you wonder if there’s money to be made in buying in India and shipping back to the UK?

There are bound to be some who will pay a premium to be riding them before they are actually available here. I’m sure some of the grey importers will be looking into it.
    Think the greys like Seven Seas in Yorkshire concentrate on bikes that are or will not be imported eg Honda CT125 Postie bike

https://www.sevenseasmotors.com/

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by higham5 View Post
    Makes a lot of sense that. The dealer said yesterday reservation’s were £400 and they had taken three so far. Realistically who wants a shiny new bike in Jan Feb when salting is at its peak?

The BSA Goldstar launch was nearly 9 months late!

I subscribe to Bike India via Readly, they are expecting deliveries late July so the Sept edition is likely to feature a real test ride. Incidentally the first 2000ish bikes in India are 2.3 lakh which is roughly £2300 rising to £2400. Apparently Triumph have “ knocked it outa the park” to compete with Hero and RE in the domestic market.

I recon Triumph UK will charge £5,600 for the Street and £6,500 for the X …………lets see if Im right.
    There was a piece about them on last weeks Bikeworld, the Triumph bod answered most questions except the price lol.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-_12qZA66I

Totally agree with what you say about buying a new bike in the depths of winter, but some will of course.
    Last edited by BRGRSP; 11th July 2023 at 17:53. Reason: Link added

Master
    Blog Entries
    Triumph spares are hard to get hold of Freddie Dobbs cant even get a head gasket.

Back when they started you could phone the factory as I did and they would even go and look for you.

Quote Originally Posted by samswatch View Post
    Great to hear you are doing better Tony and the bike is being sorted
    This

- - - Updated - - -

Brands Hatch Indy Circuit track evening yesterday

short highlights vid.

https://youtu.be/aBaT2DBdYQ8

First time out on the M1000R, so not yet fully on it - still adjusting the suspension settings, but I did beat my previous best lap time & got a few 56 second laps

There were a couple of very close passes put on me. Could put an inexperienced rider off & totally unnecessary.

The straights are so short on the Brands Indy circuit that I didn't get into 5th on the start / finish or 4th on the back (Cooper) straight.
    I'm at RAF Odiham on Saturday where we get to use most of the main runway, so I will be able to use all the revs probably in up to & including 5th gear, but filming there is not allowed.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Master
    Blog Entries
    That first overtake on you made me jump, then it looked like someone had come of in the gravel.

I can see why track days could become addictive, but relying on others for safety puts me off.

Why no filming at Odiham?

Quote Originally Posted by bwest76 View Post
    Why no filming at Odiham?
    I'd guess because it's an active RAF base.

Quote Originally Posted by Thewatchbloke View Post
    I'd guess because it's an active RAF base.
    It's actually because they've had enough of camera's falling off & bits getting scattered all over the runway that can then be sucked into aircraft engines, so it's a zero tolerance rule.

Stills photography is fine.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Quote Originally Posted by bwest76 View Post
    then it looked like someone had come off in the gravel.
    They did. Rider was OK, but the session was red flagged. Thankfully that was the only red flag in our group.

There was one in the novice group too.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Quote Originally Posted by andy tims View Post

Brands Hatch Indy Circuit track evening yesterday

The straights are so short on the Brands Indy circuit that I didn't get into 5th on the start / finish or 4th on the back (Cooper) straight.
    I'm at RAF Odiham on Saturday where we get to use most of the main runway, so I will be able to use all the revs probably in up to & including 5th gear, but filming there is not allowed.
    This was very interesting to me as I have never done a circuit with a four strokes: You seem to use engine breaking more than I thought you would. When I was going round (admittedly a long time ago), it was full on asap on exiting a turn (keeping the front wheel low, I was no Schwantz ) and cutting/downshifting as best as you could while braking to the max and aiming for the apex.
    It could also be because I was only on 125 and 350 2S, where both power availability and engine inertia are nothing like the ones you have to cope with. But I found the engine rev noises surprising.
    The above probably mean that I would be the one in the cloud of gravel dust on my first lap on a bike like yours
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Engine braking is always something I've used quite a lot on track after Motovudu instruction & watching Simon Crafar's brilliant DVD.

It's also one of the several parameters I can adjust on this bike electronically. I dialled in the maximum.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Engine braking is always something I've used quite a lot on track after Motovudu instruction & watching Simon Crafar's brilliant DVD.
    What’s the reasoning behind that? I always thought that on track, if the back wheel was still on the floor you’re not braking hard enough. At that point, using engine braking becomes a high risk activity. Although it sounds like your M1000 has an auto-blipper so it’s not relevant in this case.

Quote Originally Posted by Groundrush View Post
    What’s the reasoning behind that? I always thought that on track, if the back wheel was still on the floor you’re not braking hard enough. At that point, using engine braking becomes a high risk activity. Although it sounds like your M1000 has an auto-blipper so it’s not relevant in this case.

Engine braking doesn’t unsettle the bike the way that front discs will (I find).

I’ve done a tuition track day long time ago on my BMW BoxerCup Replika and for a lot of the bend approaches, just used engine-braking and could have gone around the outside of the guy in front.

Of course on the R1100s with the telelever front end - you don’t get dive anyway,

Master
    New arrival on the way..arrives 17th July, Triumph Tiger T100s - she will taking over the Sunday morning summer brekkie run in August from the BMW R1200RS. A bit excited now...been a few years since a Triumph sat in the garage and many years since an older Brit bike was in the garage.

^^^^Beautiful! What year is it, 1968?

Master
    ^^^^Beautiful! What year is it, 1968?
    ‘69, matching numbers too.

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Have a look at Simon Crafar's training fiilm for a more technical explanation. I just know it works for me. You've got to get down the gears anyway, to punch out of the corners.

I probably don't brake quite as hard as I should. Several accidents on non ABS bikes due to locking the front wheel has given me a seemingly permanent fear of braking really hard.

That said on my 750, 90% of my track overtakes were on the brakes, so I'm later on them than many.

Locking a rear wheel has been less of an issue since slipper clutches - I had one of those on my K7 GSX-R 750.
    Last edited by andy tims; 14th July 2023 at 06:16.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Master
    Blog Entries
    It's actually because they've had enough of camera's falling off & bits getting scattered all over the runway that can then be sucked into aircraft engines, so it's a zero tolerance rule.

Stills photography is fine.
    They call it FOD, they must do a thorough clean after the track days.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by emgee View Post
    New arrival on the way..arrives 17th July, Triumph Tiger T100s - she will taking over the Sunday morning summer brekkie run in August from the BMW R1200RS. A bit excited now...been a few years since a Triumph sat in the garage and many years since an older Brit bike was in the garage.
    superb bike,you have excellent taste,have owned a Bonnie of simular age for 45 years but never ridden a 500.i am told they are a sweet thing to ride.its got the twin leading shoe front brake which works very well.
    Last edited by greasemonkey; 13th July 2023 at 08:43.

Master
    Cheers chap ! Will post some more pics/info when it arrives :)

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Thinking of trading my motorcycle for a jetski.

Especially as it wouldn't start leaving work yesterday and needed to get a bump start. :-(

Quote Originally Posted by Gyp View Post
    Thinking of trading my motorcycle for a jetski.

Especially as it wouldn't start leaving work yesterday and needed to get a bump start. :-(
    Well, given the weather forecast…

Master
    went for a spin around the villages on this old girl yesterday.its a 1961 AJS M31 650 twin.i have owned this since 1987 ,bought from a friend in the motor trade as it was very cheap because he was sick of the sight of it.it had had lots of money spent on it but had been thrown together.i had little interest in it then as i was building up my garage business.it was then covered in waxoil and put in the storage shed until 2021 when since semi retiring i had much more time for hobbies.i dragged her out screaming into the daylight.i gave her a full cosmetic restoration and recommissioned the mechanics including having the magneto reconditioned.shes a lovely torquey old beast to ride.i think they were good for a ton in their day but were known for breaking crankshafts.i have raised the gearing by going up 3 teeth on the gearbox sprocket and ride her with respect for her 62year old mechanicals.shes 5 years younger than me ...
    Last edited by greasemonkey; 14th July 2023 at 10:14.

Quote Originally Posted by greasemonkey View Post
    Lovely bike

Master

More bike related stuff

Beautiful

Master
    Blog Entries
    went for a spin around the villages on this old girl yesterday.its a 1961 AJS M31 650 twin.i have owned this since 1987 ,bought from a friend in the motor trade as it was very cheap because he was sick of the sight of it.it had had lots of money spent on it but had been thrown together.i had little interest in it then as i was building up my garage business.it was then covered in waxoil and put in the storage shed until 2021 when since semi retiring i had much more time for hobbies.i dragged her out screaming into the daylight.i gave her a full cosmetic restoration and recommissioned the mechanics including having the magneto reconditioned.shes a lovely torquey old beast to ride.i think they were good for a ton in their day but were known for breaking crankshafts.i have raised the gearing by going up 3 teeth on the gearbox sprocket and ride her with respect for her 62year old mechanicals.shes 5 years younger than me
    What a great little story,when you think of all thats happened in the world in-between it being stored.

I bet its as nice to ride as it looks.

1961 AJS M31 650 twin. …. were known for breaking crankshafts.
    Nice. A mate of mine has one, with a broken crank as it happens.

My job for the weekend is to fit new fork stanchions and cartridge emulators in the 750 Bon-evil. I also have an alloy brake calliper to go on it as the original cast iron one weighs a ton. Hopefully that will improve the front end a bit.

I think I’ll also drag the old Tribsa (in the foreground) out and get it ready to sell. I love the thing dearly, but I’m drowning in bikes and the Gold Star (background) is almost the same so the Tribsa probably should go. That’ll be depressing.

Beautiful AJS greasmonkey, it looks lovely, congratulations.

We're going to have to form a TZ-UK vintage register at this rate!

Nice. A mate of mine has one, with a broken crank as it happens.

My job for the weekend is to fit new fork stanchions and cartridge emulators in the 750 Bon-evil. I also have an alloy brake calliper to go on it as the original cast iron one weighs a ton. Hopefully that will improve the front end a bit.

I think I’ll also drag the old Tribsa (in the foreground) out and get it ready to sell. I love the thing dearly, but I’m drowning in bikes and the Gold Star (background) is almost the same so the Tribsa probably should go. That’ll be depressing.
    A lovely bunch of bikes Groundrush especially the Tribsa. Was that the one that was your dad's or was that the Goldie?

went for a spin around the villages on this old girl yesterday.its a 1961 AJS M31 650 twin.i have owned this since 1987 ,bought from a friend in the motor trade as it was very cheap because he was sick of the sight of it.it had had lots of money spent on it but had been thrown together.i had little interest in it then as i was building up my garage business.it was then covered in waxoil and put in the storage shed until 2021 when since semi retiring i had much more time for hobbies.i dragged her out screaming into the daylight.i gave her a full cosmetic restoration and recommissioned the mechanics including having the magneto reconditioned.shes a lovely torquey old beast to ride.i think they were good for a ton in their day but were known for breaking crankshafts.i have raised the gearing by going up 3 teeth on the gearbox sprocket and ride her with respect for her 62year old mechanicals.shes 5 years younger than me ...
    That is a very pretty little bike, you can't beat Black and a little Chrome for sheer beauty.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Touring in style,love it.

^^^Looks like an old James Captain, sturdy lass riding that, looks like she has a dog in every bag!

Master
    Beautiful AJS greasmonkey, it looks lovely, congratulations.

We're going to have to form a TZ-UK vintage register at this rate!
    thanks for all the kind words gentlemen,i have another couple of old brits.a 1970 bonneville which i restored last year and a 1949 BSA c11 250 which has not been restored as i love the patina of use on it,but it runs great.love those Brit scramblers,they look superb,how are they to ride though?, i would hate to get them muddy

I appear to have put a deposit on another bike.

On the premise that it'll enable me and the lad to go riding on reliable, modern bikes.

Despite us having no weekends free.

And despite me having nowhere to put it.

It'll be fine...

love those Brit scramblers,they look superb,how are they to ride though?
    They ride great. The goldie is a bit more highly strung and slightly quicker but the Tribsa is more agile due to the alloy rims and slightly better brakes. Both will sit at 60 all day long and are loads of fun on the B roads and back lanes. You don’t really notice they’re scramblers except for the occasional urge to jump drainage channels in the grass verge

Finished tinkering with this , wasted some pocked money, comfy seat, bar risers and adjustable rear sets all make it fit perfectly, originally after an hour or so, the seat would cut off the blood supply to my legs and my hands started to go numb, the gear lever didn’t sit quite right, now it fits like a glove and could ride all day and all night without any discomfort.

I do love the older bikes, you've got to have big respect for those who ride them - even more so for those who tour on them and especially those who tour on them abroad.

I fell in with a group of UK riders over in Spain and it was a pleasure to ride along with them for a while: regular stops and tinkering was the order of the day.

I felt like an imposter on my modern steed.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

I’ve had this for a few weeks now but I haven’t been able to ride it with the recent weather and the need for new tyres, which have now been replaced but I managed to get 5 miles in today before the heavens opened again. Just another 95 miles to scrub the tyres in, at this rate I should get there just in time for the next riding season!!

Quote Originally Posted by Craizeehair View Post
    I’ve had this for a few weeks now but I haven’t been able to ride it with the recent weather and the need for new tyres, which have now been replaced but I managed to get 5 miles in today before the heavens opened again. Just another 95 miles to scrub the tyres in, at this rate I should get there just in time for the next riding season!!
    Thats a beautiful thing, Greg. How did it feel?

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Thats a beautiful thing, Greg. How did it feel?
    Amazing Tony! The K7 has started me down another extensive and expensive rabbit hole!! Classic Hondas seem to be my thing at the moment, dare I say that watches have taken somewhat of a back seat for now.

Master
    My mate collected this today… part ex’d a Fireblade.

I spent a couple of hours fitting a new end can and Givi pannier set.

the r1250r has a great built in sat nav system and is a great all rounder , friend of mine went from s1000r to r1250r and now on an MT 10 (he changes bikes like some ppl change socks).

Popped over to North London Triumph earlier today, and saw my poor old bike for the first time since the accident. Spent over an hour taking off the parts that I (rather than Triumph) fitted, prior to the bike being taken away as salvage.

Fortunately, the sales manager at North London Triumph has already sourced a replacement in the Lind East London branch. He’s hoping to have it over at Watford by the middle of next week, and discussions are progressing well with the insurers such that I’m hoping to be on the road again in about three weeks (I’m actually scared to say too much in case I jinx it).

I must admit, my back is a bit sore after crouching down for so long today, but hopefully it’ll be feeling better prior to the new bike’s arrival.
    Last edited by learningtofly; 15th July 2023 at 17:01.

That’s really good news Tony, I will keep my fingers crossed for you. Even if you have to take any riding very easy and in small doses, at least you will have the bike there should you do feel up to a gentle bimble.

Great news Tony, it looks like you may get done more miles under your belt this season after all!

What’s in the pipeline now Gyp?

I managed to squeeze another cheapie into the garage this week. I’m not convinced about the frame colour but it is a quality job, as is the USD front end and 07 zx6r tar end.

I’ve promised my wife I’ll not get anything else until I’ve finished the ones I’ve got. If truth be told, I’m struggling to find any more space tbh.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Craizeehair View Post
    TT100s?
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    TT100s?
    Can you still get them? I remember when the choice was TT100s or Roadrunners

Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    TT100s?
    Yep