timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 84 of 354 FirstFirst ... 3474828384858694134184 ... LastLast
Results 4,151 to 4,200 of 17677

Thread: More bike related stuff

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by downer View Post
    My GS is in the dealers for warranty work and the loaner is this S1000XR:

Without doubt, a bit of a weapon which certainly encourages the inner hooligan as the acceleration (and noise) is a bit addictive - to say the least.

I found myself wanting to change up out of 6th gear all the time and I'm not sure I'd want one as an only bike but I have to say I love riding it.

Spec-wise, it has almost double the horsepower of my own four cylinder motor...

Lots of lads on Ukgser bought XR’s and promptly sold them to retain licences and keep out of jail! The early ones were really plagued with vibration right at motorway speed defeating the reason to buy one as an alternative to a humble GS.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by higham5 View Post
    Lots of lads on Ukgser bought XR’s and promptly sold them to retain licences and keep out of jail! The early ones were really plagued with vibration right at motorway speed defeating the reason to buy one as an alternative to a humble GS.
    Yes, the XR will test my self-control over the next week or so, that's for sure. There are some high-frequency vibes in the bars but nothing to really complain about. I heard they added some bushes to the bar mounts to sort that issue.

As for the bike overall, I guess it's simply a case of horses for courses. For me, this bike would probably prove too frantic as I prefer a more relaxed ride, but I can certainly see the attraction.

Quote Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
    The new Tiger 900 looks absolutely fantastic.ðŸ‘ðŸ‘

Uses a very clever firing order to give it the low end characteristics of a twin, and the high end performance of a 4...
    I’d love to give one a try, but deep down I will probably choose a classic. English, German or Italian.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Master
    British and bulletproof

4th Armourded Brigade?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    4th Armourded Brigade?
    Not sure, but the bike was owned by a former Brigadier in the Royal Norfolk Regiment and he told me he chose the insignia as it would have been the one used by his regiment during D Day. It was apparently restored by in REME workshop in Germany. The bike is a 1941 BSA WM20, and will be taking part in local VE Day celebrations in the summer.
    Last edited by Gurmot; 14th February 2020 at 08:32.

the xr is supposed to be a fantastic bike (touring bullet) - though i thought BMW would have solved the handlebar vibe issue - lots of people ive spoken to with 1000r's and rr's have the same problem and end up fitting weighted bar ends (which pretty much solves it)

More bike related stuff

Quote Originally Posted by Gurmot View Post
    Not sure, but the bike was owned by a former Brigadier in the Royal Norfolk Regiment and he told me he chose the insignia as it would have been the one used by his regiment during D Day. It was apparently restored by in REME workshop in Germany. The bike is a 1941 BSA WM20, and will be taking part in local VE Day celebrations in the summer.
    For the record, I have this bike in my garage. Unfortunately it was given to me in bits and I have neither the skills, time or space and tooling to restore her. I believe she is almost complete.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    For the record, I have this bike in my garage. Unfortunately it was given to me in bits and I have neither the skills, time or space and tooling to restore her. I believe she is almost complete.
    I may be interested if my early retirement plans work out.............pm heading your way :)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by pugster View Post
    the xr is supposed to be a fantastic bike (touring bullet) - though i thought BMW would have solved the handlebar vibe issue - lots of people ive spoken to with 1000r's and rr's have the same problem and end up fitting weighted bar ends (which pretty much solves it)
    BMW handlebar vibration is a real issue. I have a friend that races a 1000RR in BSB. He’s had to pull in due to vibration killing his hands..👎👎

Quote Originally Posted by oliverte View Post
    I booked a trackday at Brands Hatch for this Saturday... Now storm Dennis seems to be on the way!!

Will head over to Brands regardless but judging by the forecast I don't think it will be a day for lots of knee down action!
    I probably wouldn't bother.

Do you have a set of wets?
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Quote Originally Posted by andy tims View Post
    I probably wouldn't bother.

Do you have a set of wets?
    Nope, on rosso 3s which are an okay tyre for wet

Morning doesn't look too wet so will head down and probably push off early afternoon as it begins to deteriorate

Sent from my SM-G977B using Tapatalk

Good luck! There are wet track days, and then there are those with weather warnings for wind and rain! Keep it rubber side down.

Warrington, centre of the Universe and home of the Mighty Wire
    Quote Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
    BMW handlebar vibration is a real issue. I have a friend that races a 1000RR in BSB. He’s had to pull in due to vibration killing his hands..👎👎
    I had some custom made bar ends turned for my 1000RR. They were very effective in reducing the vibes to almost being unnoticeable. Without them though, it was pretty terrible and my fingers were numb and tingly after 30 or so miles. Shame really as it ruins what is a very good missile.

This is what worked for me, it looks bigger on the pic than it did in real life actually, and suited the colour scheme of my bike as it was turned from Stainless Steel.

Stuart

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by cinnabull; 14th February 2020 at 23:42.

Grand Master
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-R-NIN...cAAOSwft9ct1uW

Tempting to build something like this
    RIAC

Quote Originally Posted by 100thmonkey View Post

Down & Out produce some lovely bikes. A nicely customised R9T would suit you, Kerry.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Down & Out produce some lovely bikes. A nicely customised R9T would suit you, Kerry.
    Good lookers for sure but the riding position of them really gets me so I’d have to tweak it plus I wouldn’t pay the premium for someone to do it for me I would want to do it myself
    RIAC

In terms of style, suspension mods etc it's nice.

But why on earth bin the fuel injection and electronics package?

<Insert rant about suitability of non-CV carbs, cone air filters, loss of tuned airbox etc here>

Grand Master
    I would rather have the Kawasaki behind
    RIAC

Quote Originally Posted by Gyp View Post
    In terms of style, suspension mods etc it's nice.

But why on earth bin the fuel injection and electronics package?

<Insert rant about suitability of non-CV carbs, cone air filters, loss of tuned airbox etc here>
    For purists, innit.

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    For purists, innit.
    I know, i know.

I guess I just get a bit frustrated at all the modified road bikes where the modifications make them prettier to look at (possibly), but less practical, less comfortable and less capable.

I've started typing about carbs and airboxes and fuel injection and filters and injector pumps and the like. But I've stopped. And deleted it. I'll go drink tea and calm down.

So I decided to press ahead with the trackday; checking the forecast , storm Dennis wasn't looking ominous until ~midday

We pitched up at 07:40 to find out that there were plenty of pit garages that were available on a first come first serve basis. Perfect for keeping us out of the rain if it materialised!

Noise testing was a doddle with my bike scoring 98db on the static with the stock can. God knows how some of the bikes passed, I have a feeling that the organisers were somewhat lenient

As we went out for session 1 the track was greasy and there were pockets of standing water at the bottom of paddocks, not the most encouraging for my first track day on my new bike!

As the morning progressed, a dry line began to appear which really improved traction and grip; conversely, straying off the dry line made me stiffen up and grow anxious but all in all, I was very grateful for some dryer parts of the track

The rain began again around midday at which point we were heading out for session 4. A couple of twitchy front end corner entry moments and rear wheel spin ups on corner exit made me take to the puts early. In my view it simply wasn't worth the risk of continuing, particularly given the number of incidents that had occurred throughout the morning

All in all, a fantastic day and I am so glad that I decided to attend. My wet riding technique has improved as a direct consequence of pushing myself on a wet track.

Can't wait to be back in late spring early summer for a dry day!

Master
    Blog Entries
    Riding in NZ is something else.

image ru

I would rather have the Kawasaki behind
    Ditto on the Kawasaki.
    The R9 does nothing for me, I think it looks rather drab and bitty, if that makes sense.

So I decided to press ahead with the trackday; checking the forecast , storm Dennis wasn't looking ominous until ~midday
    Brave man, specially on a new bike

@ oliverte Glad you kept it shiny side up.

Not sure how many track days you intend to do, but if you’re really into them, a 2nd set of wheels with wets is possibly a worthwhile investment. I’ll never forget the first time I rode on wets - almost unbelievable how hard you can push.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Stanford View Post
    Brave man, specially on a new bike
    Plus 1 for this well done. The experience on wet/ dry track will put you in good stead for Spring / Wet summer days

It always seemed an unlikely recovery (and I thought Stuart Garner looked like a wrong'un).

Quote Originally Posted by andy tims View Post
    @ oliverte Glad you kept it shiny side up.

Not sure how many track days you intend to do, but if you’re really into them, a 2nd set of wheels with wets is possibly a worthwhile investment. I’ll never forget the first time I rode on wets - almost unbelievable how hard you can push.
    Yes, really been thinking about that, the vast majority of bikers were wearing wets. Unfortunately I don't quite have the space for another set of wheels

Crikey.

Warrington, centre of the Universe and home of the Mighty Wire
    It amazes and saddens me how some people behave like that and do things knowing the consequences their actions will have on others. The others generally only find out whats happened when its way too late. The worst thing for me is he has done this purely to increase his own personal wealth and ridden roughshod and deceived many folk along the way. Sad git who needs to be behind bars if all the emerging stories are true.

Stuart

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Yes, really been thinking about that, the vast majority of bikers were wearing wets. Unfortunately I don't quite have the space for another set of wheels

Trackdays in February...chilly! Glad it went without incident, I don’t venture out until April earliest. I used to have wets on wheels and they are incredible, but now don’t go out if wet on circuit. I don’t race and risk verses reward doesn’t stack up at my age.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluetinfloor View Post
    Trackdays in February...chilly! Glad it went without incident, I don’t venture out until April earliest. I used to have wets on wheels and they are incredible, but now don’t go out if wet on circuit. I don’t race and risk verses reward doesn’t stack up at my age.
    Makes sense. Increasingly I'm thinking of getting an SV650 or similar with some wet weather road tyres so that I can take that to a track or out for a spin if the forecast looks iffy

Not the same bang as a litre superbike, but certainly better financially if things go wrong

Master
    Makes sense. Increasingly I'm thinking of getting an SV650 or similar with some wet weather road tyres so that I can take that to a track or out for a spin if the forecast looks iffy

Not the same bang as a litre superbike, but certainly better financially if things go wrong

Generally a weather gamble due to having to book in advance, although I can often book Oulton a day or two before and the forecast should be reliable by then. If its looking wet then I dont bother, plenty other days over the summer. I had a SV650 track bike for a few years and they are very good value, cheap to fix!

Just want to say there is a huge difference between road tyres that are good in the wet and racing wets!

Don't think the road ones will be anything like the race ones!

Quote Originally Posted by Bluetinfloor View Post
    Trackdays in February...chilly!
    I actually did the equivalent days at Brands in 2018 & 2019 & we were blessed with glorious, sunny days. It really is pot luck this time of year.

I got my first set of wets a few years ago after a couple of washed out days in May & June where I only did a few laps.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

My R1200R is in being serviced today so they gave me an R1250R as a courtesy bike.

Very nice to ride, not a whole lot different to my R1200R but it feels a little more punchy at higher revs, it can't just be the extra 50cc capacity so I presume it's due to the vario/shift cam.

The TFT screen's a lot better than my R1200R LCD one, pretty much the same info but it's a lot easier to digest and I do prefer the large digital speed indicator to the analogue speedometer of the R1200R.

It's very customisable with different screens for different needs.

It would be nice to upgrade as mine's 4 years old now but is it worth the cost to change? If money was no object then maybe, but all things considered I don't think so at the moment.

What exactly does this SOS button do?!

Quote Originally Posted by Thewatchbloke View Post
    My R1200R is in being serviced today so they gave me an R1250R as a courtesy bike.
    R1200R has the worst clocks on any motorbike. That TFT is a huge upgrade even if it comes with nothing else.

SOS is great. It does many smart things including knowing which side of the motorway you're on judging on direction to help the ambulance get there quicker (not arriving on the wrong side) to knowing how serious the accident you're in is based on speed you were going at the time and force of impact etc. However you can just push the SOS button if you witness an accident. There's a loudspeaker phone built in and you get through to a call centre. Pretty good stuff

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    R1200R has the worst clocks on any motorbike.
    A bit harsh! I prefer the customisability of the TFT and I do prefer digital to analogue speedos but I find the R1200R instruments compact, clear and easy to read.

Quote Originally Posted by Thewatchbloke View Post
    A bit harsh! I prefer the customisability of the TFT and I do prefer digital to analogue speedos but I find the R1200R instruments compact, clear and easy to read.
    I'm on my third GS (1xGS, 2xGSA) and my current one has the TFT. Changes the bike completely for me as the clocks on the other two were awful. I would always ride with my phone mounted and Waze open to see the current speed now o don't have to.

I would always ride with my phone mounted and Waze open to see the current speed now o don't have to.
    Ah I see, my eyes aren't that bad yet!

R1200R has the worst clocks on any motorbike. That TFT is a huge upgrade even if it comes with nothing else.
    I wasn't sure about the R1200R clocks at first, and chose to use them in touring mode as the other mode that isn't sport mode was far too busy.

After a few weeks though I got used to the other mode that isn't sport mode and now use it all the time.

I'm not overly impressed with the TFT.

Which is good.

As I own the R1200R and I won't have to buy an R1250R

I wasn't sure about the R1200R clocks at first, and chose to use them in touring mode as the other mode that isn't sport mode was far too busy.
    I'm probably being needlessly harsh. I booked an S1000R when I had a service before but their bloody loaner was stolen in London and they gave me the R1200R. Only rode it home and back - about 20 mins each way - and I just remember raging at the clocks. Didn't explore different modes/know there was any.

I'm probably being needlessly harsh. I booked an S1000R when I had a service before but their bloody loaner was stolen in London and they gave me the R1200R. Only rode it home and back - about 20 mins each way - and I just remember raging at the clocks. Didn't explore different modes/know there was any.
    There are 3 modes; 0, 1 & 2.

R1200R-0.JPG

R1200R-1.JPG

and 2

R1200R-2.JPG

I really wish I could get pictures right on here...

There are 3 modes; 0, 1 & 2.
    Ah ok, I had it on 0. I remember the rev with the numbers and the lines on it. Option 2 would be what I'd have set it on if I'd known!

Ah ok, I had it on 0. I remember the rev with the numbers and the lines on it. Option 2 would be what I'd have set it on if I'd known!
    I started on 2 but settled on 0

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    I have an R1250R and I love it!

Quote Originally Posted by Groundrush View Post
    In my (ex) professional opinion that's not such a great idea. Brake piston seals rely on flex to pull the piston back in after the brakes have been released. If the seal slips because you greased it you run the risk of the brakes not releasing properly. Plus grease is a grit magnet and nothing wrecks seals faster than grit ingress. YMMV

I just remove the pads and pump out the pistons a little, then clean the lot with a toothbrush and brake cleaner. Squeeze the pistons all the way back in and reassemble. I would never grease brake pistons except with red rubber grease when I'm rebuilding the thing with new seals, even then I'd preferably use brake fluid.
    Fair point. I suppose it's a good alternative to red rubber grease?
    ShinEtsu is clear, and leaves no mess. At servicing time, it's very easy to clean away with a quick blast of brake cleaner. Like you, I'm a fan of toothbrushes!
    Been using it since 1989 on every bike without issue, and during that time never had a siezed or malfunctioning piston. Never experienced damage/scoring to the bores either.
    The use of ShinEtsu certainally isn't my idea, was recommended by Yamaha back then for servicing calipers. I think the box on mine actually has a Mitsui Yamaha sticker?
    It also offers protection for alloy from internal corrosion caused by moisture suspended in old fluid. (Obvs. fluid change every 18-24 months, or earlier if test indicates it!)