closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 106 of 354 FirstFirst ... 65696104105106107108116156206 ... LastLast
Results 5,251 to 5,300 of 17677

Thread: More bike related stuff

Quote Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
    70 miles today, the TFC ain’t for touring that’s for sure, the seat looks cool but is pure torture. Luckily I kept my custom seat from my old Bobber so that’ll be going on soon.

Other than that, the Ohlins is a big improvement, sport mode is nice and responsive and the bike rides really nicely.

Short video of the decat exhaust. It now pops and rumbles on the over run without being stupidly loud so that’s a result.
    Sounds great, looks pretty good too

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
    70 miles today, the TFC ain’t for touring that’s for sure, the seat looks cool but is pure torture. Luckily I kept my custom seat from my old Bobber so that’ll be going on soon.

Other than that, the Ohlins is a big improvement, sport mode is nice and responsive and the bike rides really nicely.

Short video of the decat exhaust. It now pops and rumbles on the over run without being stupidly loud so that’s a result.

Sounds good, nice rumble.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

I’ve installed this led headlight unit on my Vstrom 1000. I’m very pleased with the outcome.

Not the best bit of photo editing, however...

Master
    ^^^ Why are you putting a Mazda badge on your Triumph?

Quote Originally Posted by downer View Post
    ^^^ Why are you putting a Mazda badge on your Triumph?
    Hmmm. It does look a bit Mazda, doesn't it.

If you rotate it 90º clockwise it will look like you've branded it from your ranch OK Corral
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Master
    For anyone interested, a video of how I fitted the decat and forward controls, Oh and a before and after sound bite..😎

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    If you rotate it 90º clockwise it will look like you've branded it from your ranch OK Corral
    No problem, just wheelie it everywhere!

The Mazda-esque sticker is a good and interesting attempt...go for it.
    Never been a fan of numbers on number boards on non-competetive bikes....it's a sticker, for the sake of a sticker....and everyone is doing it. I'm suprised hipsters haven't cottoned on to how mainstream they've become.
    Lost count of the 46's and 53's I've seen...if you HAVE to stick something there...make it personal to you.
    Or not.....

Quote Originally Posted by Tifa View Post
    The Mazda-esque sticker is a good and interesting attempt...go for it.
    Never been a fan of numbers on number boards on non-competetive bikes....it's a sticker, for the sake of a sticker....and everyone is doing it. I'm suprised hipsters haven't cottoned on to how mainstream they've become.
    Lost count of the 46's and 53's I've seen...if you HAVE to stick something there...make it personal to you.
    Or not.....
    Well, I think this has been a good test of whether the logo would fly under the radar.

With the lack of love for the 007 branding on the Scrambler 1200, I was considering something more subtle but also more bad ass for the 900cc Street Scrambler.

And there is of course the obligatory watch tie-in.

Whilst I know I shouldn't, I really like the watch...

I did look at the Man from U.N.C.L.E. logo but that was a bit much, and the stick man from the Saint was a bit obvious.

I am thinking of combining the logo with a number though. Sorry Tifa.

Like this...

or

Call it Excalibur, as another Kingsman clue...

Master

How to remove throttle play on fly by wire

Warrington, centre of the Universe and home of the Mighty Wire
    Finally received the rear indicators from Rizoma - from a dealer in Spain. Very happy with the way these indicators have changed the look of the CB.

Before:

After:

Looks way better with the Rizoma bits imo. Dont look out of place on a modern retro, and Rizoma is quality kit as well.

Stuart

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by cinnabull View Post
    Looks way better with the Rizoma bits imo. Dont look out of place on a modern retro, and Rizoma is quality kit as well.

Stuart

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    Cheers. Seems to be about 50:50 for and against. I prefer the Rizoma's as it de-emphasises the indicators.

Next question I'm pondering is the rear light/mudguard.

Blog Entries
    Cheers. Seems to be about 50:50 for and against. I prefer the Rizoma's as it de-emphasises the indicators.

Next question I'm pondering is the rear light/mudguard.
    What model are they from Rizoma please? I'm looking for some to replace the large ones on the Interceptor.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    What model are they from Rizoma please? I'm looking for some to replace the large ones on the Interceptor.

These are the "IRIDE" - https://www.rizoma.com/universal/ind...ights/fr160/en available in chrome or black. They do a large range of shapes and sizes - https://www.rizoma.com/universal/indicator-lights/en Best prices I found are on motocard.com - https://www.motocard.com/en/motorcyc...hts/rizoma?p=1

[QUOTE=Gyp;5424179]Like this...

Perfick.
    Understated, personalised.
    10/10

[QUOTE=Tifa;5424426]
    Quote Originally Posted by Gyp View Post
    Like this...

Perfick.
    Understated, personalised.
    10/10
    Just wondering if I should squeeze "Oxfords, not brogues" on the edge in some way.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Tifa View Post
    Yep, with the CV causing a dip in the crime figs, plod have a few more hours on their hands to address the trivial.
    My missus & I live by a busy road Essex/Suffolk border with a 30mph limit. There are many bikers during the day mainly weekends & BH's exceeding the speed limit, some by a large margin, & many that have excessively loud exhausts.
    We find it quite stressful TBH. I can't understand how you think it's trivial. There are bikers who poodle along at the speed limit and, although very noisy are respectful of local residents, others couldn't give a monkeys.
    I am not anti-motorbikes BTW I used to commute to work on one many years ago, & would love to have a bike today if I had somewhere to keep it.
    So from my perspective, coppers nicking any road user breaking the law is not trivial, they are doing their job, no?

Sent from my Nokia 3.1 using TZ-UK mobile app

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Nealywheelie View Post
    My missus & I live by a busy road Essex/Suffolk border with a 30mph limit. There are many bikers during the day mainly weekends & BH's exceeding the speed limit, some by a large margin, & many that have excessively loud exhausts.
    We find it quite stressful TBH. I can't understand how you think it's trivial. There are bikers who poodle along at the speed limit and, although very noisy are respectful of local residents, others couldn't give a monkeys.
    I am not anti-motorbikes BTW I used to commute to work on one many years ago, & would love to have a bike today if I had somewhere to keep it.
    So from my perspective, coppers nicking any road user breaking the law is not trivial, they are doing their job, no?

To be honest, if it bothered me that much, I wouldn't live by a busy road.

I agree - seems middle aged rebels do not like the attention, which begs the question why in the first place?
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    I agree - seems middle aged rebels do not like the attention, which begs the question why in the first place?
    Must admit I try to keep a low profile....................

Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    To be honest, if it bothered me that much, I wouldn't live by a busy road.
    Great contribution 10/10

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Great contribution 10/10
    Well the post I replied to quoted a post from 2 days ago, and my reply was tongue in cheek, but knock yourself out.
    Last edited by oldoakknives; 23rd May 2020 at 01:44.

Nicking people for small plates. loud pipes & maybe going a bit too fast, is a pathetic waste of resources.

Get your bike or car stolen - they do nothing, get burgled - almost certainly the same outcome. It's just about numbers for the Police. If it's too much effort so secure an arrest, it just does not get prioritised.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Quote Originally Posted by andy tims View Post
    Nicking people for small plates. loud pipes & maybe going a bit too fast, is a pathetic waste of resources.

Get your bike or car stolen - they do nothing, get burgled - almost certainly the same outcome. It's just about numbers for the Police. If it's too much effort so secure an arrest, it just does not get prioritised.
    Quite right Andy, if we all had legal plates, original exhaust systems and obeyed the highway code, the police would be able to deploy their limited resources elsewhere.

I must admit to having fractured more than a few road laws etc over my almost 30 years on bikes.

However since about 20 (tuned LC with Swarbricks and open carbs) I have always kept the exhaust on the side of legal and have never really got the loud exhaust thing which now seems to be spreading to more and more cars.

I think it not only gets bikes a bad reputation with the public but also draws a lot of unwanted attention generally and in the event of an accident no doubt an accusation of speeding. I expect it must be bikes not ridden often of far, as whilst the noise is horrible it follows the rider all day.

Quite right Andy, if we all had legal plates, original exhaust systems and obeyed the highway code, the police would be able to deploy their limited resources elsewhere.
    They’d go for another low hanging fruit. The whole notion of targets is perverse. On one hand it focuses the mind, on the other the same mind looks for easy ways to achieve the target.

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    They’d go for another low hanging fruit. The whole notion of targets is perverse. On one hand it focuses the mind, on the other the same mind looks for easy ways to achieve the target.
    Quite possibly, however as individuals are directly impacted by burglaries about once every 20 years (approx, on average), but are exposed to excessive speed and noise several times a day, it can't be surprising that when the public are asked what they want the police to prioritise, the things that impact therm daily get a mention.

I can't help but notice that noise and speed seem to go together. All the fruity exhausts that have drawn my attention over the quieter recent weeks haven't been mumbling about gently, they've been on bikes where the throttle has been pinned to the stop.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a complete hypocrite - when I'm riding fast I find that fine, and when I'm enjoying a loud can that's completely acceptable. It's just other people's speeding that's dangerous and other people's race cans that are annoying!

I have found that having a loud can definitely influences how I ride. On one of my Triumphs I used to regularly swap between the road and race cans. I noticed after a while that whilst I was behaving reasonably well with the quiet can, with the loud can, not only was I drawing attention to myself, I was also riding far faster, filtering more aggressively, wheelieing and generally being a dick.

Road can goes back on and I'm back to being a model citizen...

Quite possibly, however as individuals are directly impacted by burglaries about once every 20 years (approx, on average), but are exposed to excessive speed and noise several times a day, it can't be surprising that when the public are asked what they want the police to prioritise, the things that impact therm daily get a mention.

I can't help but notice that noise and speed seem to go together. All the fruity exhausts that have drawn my attention over the quieter recent weeks haven't been mumbling about gently, they've been on bikes where the throttle has been pinned to the stop.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a complete hypocrite - when I'm riding fast I find that fine, and when I'm enjoying a loud can that's completely acceptable. It's just other people's speeding that's dangerous and other people's race cans that are annoying!

I have found that having a loud can definitely influences how I ride. On one of my Triumphs I used to regularly swap between the road and race cans. I noticed after a while that whilst I was behaving reasonably well with the quiet can, with the loud can, not only was I drawing attention to myself, I was also riding far faster, filtering more aggressively, wheelieing and generally being a dick.

Road can goes back on and I'm back to being a model citizen...
    Hmmm... I have quite a loud exhaust on mine, but tend to rumble along at quite acceptable speeds giving the odd blip if I think I need to let someone know I'm there (for example, if I'm filtering or think someone is about to change lanes and cause a risk to me/the bike). I also put the baffle in because I didn't want it to be uncomfortably loud, either for me or for my neighbours. I do hear a lot of very loud bikes in my area, but the ones that scream the loudest almost always seem to be sports bikes being red-lined in completely inappropriate circumstances.

One other thing - when I changed my exhaust I shed 4kg in weight and gained about 5HP in performance. it also looks a whole lot better.
    Last edited by learningtofly; 23rd May 2020 at 09:45.

The loudest bikes I come across around here are Harleys, so not exactly fast. But I agree with your correlation between noise and general disregard for others and for traffic laws.
    Should the police ignore it? That was certainly not the point I wanted to make. I am happy with police speed checks where speeding is dangerous. Not so much if it means paying a couple to seat in a car for a full shift watching cars on a motorway: speed cameras can do the job.
    However I would really like to return to having a local bobby on the beat.

Well, today is the 365th day that I've owned Tangerine Dream - yes, one full year!!! It's absolutely flown by, and having thought I'd found the perfect bike for me when I bought it, I'm now even more sure that chopping in the Street Triple was the right decision. Mods to date:

• BMW DWA alarm system
    • BMW heated grips
    • BMW machined oil filler cap
    • Custom black/orange Scrambler seat
    • Dart windshield
    • Evotech oil cooler guard
    • MachineArt X Heads engine covers
    • Oberon Performance bar end mirrors
    • Puig front fender extender
    • Puig rear hugger
    • R&G tail tidy
    • Rizoma fork sliders
    • Rizoma swing arm license plate holder
    • Sargent seat pod
    • Unit Garage front headlight grill
    • Unit Garage neoprene fork covers
    • Unit Garage rear rack
    • Unit Garage slip-on exhaust
    • V-Trec brake and clutch levers
    • Wunderlich sidestand extender
    • Wunderlich tank pad set

Here's a little pictorial history in celebration of our first year together

Last edited by learningtofly; 23rd May 2020 at 10:32.

Master
    Lets fess up guys , certain bikers will always want loud exhausts. They are much easier to fit than car exhausts so become more notorious. Also its looks, people were doing it in the 80’s on two strokes eg Allspeeds Microns And recently Higgspeeds

Im a member of a new monkey bike forum (125cc slug). It is full of folk buying a new bike and immediately spending £680 on a Yoshimura RS3 exhaust ( thats 25% of the price of the bike). The manufacturers claim 1 bhp improvement. Which I know on 10 bhp is 10%. But really.........

They then post before and after videos, its an asthmatic 125, not a Wes Cooley 1000 cc four.

I replaced the huge cigar exhaust on my GS with a carbon unit, its barely any louder saves 2kgs of high up weight and looks smart so Im no angel.

Master
    [QUOTE=learningtofly;5424798]Well, today is the 365th day that I've owned Tangerine dream - yes, one full year!!! It's absolutely flown by, and having thought I'd found the perfect bike for me when I bought it, I'm now even more sure that chopping in the Street Triple was the right decision. Mods to date:

• BMW DWA alarm system
    • BMW heated grips
    • BMW machined oil filler cap
    • Custom black/orange Scrambler seat
    • Dart windshield
    • Evotech oil cooler guard
    • MachineArt X Heads engine covers
    • Oberon Performance bar end mirrors
    • Puig front fender extender
    • Puig rear hugger
    • R&G tail tidy
    • Rizoma fork sliders
    • Rizoma swing arm license plate holder
    • Sargent seat pod
    • Unit Garage front headlight grill
    • Unit Garage rear rack
    • Unit Garage slip-on exhaust
    • V-Trec brake and clutch levers
    • Wunderlich sidestand extender
    • Wunderlich tank pad set

Tony you missed off the Neoprene fork covers, tut tut

Quote Originally Posted by higham5 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Well, today is the 365th day that I've owned Tangerine dream - yes, one full year!!! It's absolutely flown by, and having thought I'd found the perfect bike for me when I bought it, I'm now even more sure that chopping in the Street Triple was the right decision. Mods to date:

Tony you missed off the Neoprene fork covers, tut tut
    Good grief!!! Amended

My exhaust is loud.
    That's because I made it myself, and because I designed it specifically for a look, rather than an attentuating performance.

This is the bike I was modelling mine on

This is what I started with

And this is what I ended up with

Within the geometry I have made an effort to add attenuation, using a perforated exit pipe wrapped in stainless wire wool, inserted into the flared section, thus (one already wrapped, one about to be, these are welded in situ)

But it is loud.
    I ride like I always have, using the bikes nimbleness whilst not making a pain of myself. Mostly people smile at the bike, give me a thumbs up, mouth "Nice Bike" at me when I am stopped at the lights, or pop over to talk about it if I am standing next to it at a fuel pump or wherever.

But it is a twin, with nobbly tyres, so it is not something to rant to nuts off. The noise is relatively deep, with a low revving engine.

I am not sure I could have achieved the look I wanted without making it much louder than stock. My system is also about 7 kg lighter than stock as it is all SS so no corrosion thickness is needed like the original in chromed steel (incidentally the bottom of the original can on the low side was already rusted through on a 2013 bike - pathetic corrosion). With a remap to allow for the pipes the (unmeasured, but TTP are fairly reliable) BHP gain is over 12%, which is significant (but not due to the pipe alone).

I have yet to be stopped by the law for it, although I have ridden past loads of police on it.
    But I appreciate that is a risk.

I see it as a bit of relatively harmless fun. Most people I see reacting as I go by, seem to agree.

Dave

Craftsman
    [QUOTE=Nealywheelie;5424520]My missus & I live by a busy road Essex/Suffolk border with a 30mph limit. There are many bikers during the day mainly weekends & BH's exceeding the speed limit, some by a large margin, & many that have excessively loud exhausts.

I also live on the Essex Suffolk border, I also have a couple of bikes, a GS with a Remus and a Bonnie on Staintunes, both are "noisy" however with a bit of consideration (less revs!) they are far from antisocial.
    Although at least a mile away from Ballingdon Hill the high pitched wail of minimally silenced fours at 12k plus revs is bloody annoying so I have a great deal of sympathy for the OP. By all means enjoy your bikes but do so with consideration for others.
    Cheers, John B4

Quote Originally Posted by sweets View Post
    My exhaust is loud.
    That's because I made it myself, and because I designed it specifically for a look, rather than an attentuating performance.

But it is loud.
    I ride like I always have, using the bikes nimbleness whilst not making a pain of myself. Mostly people smile

I see it as a bit of relatively harmless fun. Most people I see reacting as I go by, seem to agree.

Dave
    Not exactly a sample of all the people forced to listen to your bike though is it? You (and all the other noisy can merchants) have no idea how that noise affects other people. As somebody who grew up in a biker hotspot where they often used to find them dead a ditch a few weeks after ‘their bit of fun’.
    in the summer months the scream of over revved engines could be heard constantly on the weekends.
    Even now in outer London with 20/30 limits they insist on getting from red light to red light at Max revs/speed/noise. I feel sorry for the considerate bikers who have to put in the same pot as these selfish morons:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-52774172

i failed miserably at self control yesterday , went out to look at an MT10 (i thought most showroom were still semi open -they arent) , unfortunately theres a car showroom just up the road from the bike one that was and instead im picking up a nismo rs duke next week as a new toy.

I can sympathise with some of the concerns about bike noise (predominantly screaming in line fours and low capacity 'learner' twins with totally illegal cans) but I suspect a lot of the problem will be forgotten/overshadowed once normal flight activity is resumed along with normal road traffic volumes and sirens, certainly in parts of the country.

By the way, let's not condemn only bikers - there are plenty of inconsiderate car drivers who have modified their exhausts to snap crackle and pop; and when they aren't doing that their sound systems are blaring out some shite at hearing damaging volumes.

Blog Entries
    [QUOTE=JohnB4;5424988]

I also live on the Essex Suffolk border, I also have a couple of bikes, a GS with a Remus and a Bonnie on Staintunes, both are "noisy" however with a bit of consideration (less revs!) they are far from antisocial.
    Although at least a mile away from Ballingdon Hill the high pitched wail of minimally silenced fours at 12k plus revs is bloody annoying so I have a great deal of sympathy for the OP. By all means enjoy your bikes but do so with consideration for others.
    Cheers, John B4
    I live on a road with a 20mph limit and can honestly say I see as many speeding cars as I do bikes. Of the noticably faster ones, some are youfs with little cars and loud exhausts and a fair few are women with children in the car. It's people. Car, bike, van or lorry they're all people and just as likely to speed.

The road that I live on has a 60mph speed limit and is quite twisty so a popular route for bikers.

I really enjoy hearing them being ridden as they should be!

Master
    Blog Entries

I agree with you,I always throttle back and obey 20/30 mph limits.

Empty vessels make most noise.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by sweets View Post
    My exhaust is loud.
    That's because I made it myself, and because I designed it specifically for a look, rather than an attentuating performance.]

And this is what I ended up with

I have yet to be stopped by the law for it, although I have ridden past loads of police on it.
    But I appreciate that is a risk.

Dave
    One of the things that caused a lot of grief with Police In the past was when aftermarket exhausts were stamped ‘ not for road use” . In theory now if you have a valid MOT the Police have little option but to send you on your way.

Ps I can see why folk look and talk to you at the Petrol station, that bike just looks the dogs danglies.

I have a full de cat Akra system on my GSA with "not legal for road use" etched into it but I've never been stopped in 3 years on the GSA or 5 years before on the 650 Bandit with a very loud end can. I couldn't care less about noise or noise complaints (I don't get any).

People don't get upset if you're doing the speed limit in a sensible gear but if you're doing 40 in a 30 in 1st gear you're an idiot and of course people won't be happy. Equally if you're one of the idiot 200 bikers at Matlock the other day then of course police will find a way to teach you a lesson and a quick way is number plates and exhausts. It's fully deserved. If I ever get fined for my exhaust I'll take it on the chin and continue. As most police will tell you the most important test is the attitude test. Pass that and you're fine.

Not sure if my post precipitated all the debate. To be clear one of my mates had a loud can, the other an 8 by 6 plate. Neither were speeding apparently, and the one with the plate is a 35 yo women and not a yob by any stretch!

I’ve got an Akra on my GS and have mostly had aftermarket cans, in 27 years of riding I’ve never been pulled for them or plates.

Where I live there are a few idiots that spoil
    It for everyone else, and they are usually riding 4’s at high revs through the villages which causes complaints, and then the police appear.

As someone said above, don’t tar all of one group with the same brush, be that cyclists, youths in souped up bangers, or bikers.

Back to normal chat, had a lovely 120 mile ride across Hampshire and Wiltshire to see my mum (at a distance!) for the first time since she went into isolation. Great day on many levels.

Was out on the Scrambler again today. I love this thing. It's the smallest displacement I've owned in at least 20 years and it still makes me smile every time I open the barn door....

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk