closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Preston Knowledge

Blog Entries

Preston Knowledge

Chaps.

Youngest completes his maths degree and graduates in a few months and has landed a position with BAE Systems starting in August in the audit and governance department.

His first year sees him based in Preston so it’s time to help him find him a new home. He is happy to live a little way out and considering both house share or a flat.

Any knowledge of the city and nice area to live would be great.

Many thanks in advance

Pitch

Congrats to your Son.

Warm people up there, sure he'll love it

Sent from my M2101K6G using Tapatalk

Can't help you with local knowledge but my Dad was the HR Director for BAE based in Preston. Spooky.

Blog Entries
    Don’t you just love this place.

Many thanks for your kind words xxnick, his biggest interests and loves (apart from the obvious) are football, maths and the military, so he has landed his dream gig with plenty of footie grounds around him.

Cheers guys

Pitch

Some years ago I found myself passing through Preston between the bus station and railway station. I chose to walk- around a 15 minute walk if I recall. It was a weekday evening in early summer, still daylight. It’s one of the few times I’ve ever felt unsafe walking around in public in Britain, on account of the groups of “disaffected yoof” hanging around. And for reference I’ve spent a lot of time in places like SE London and Bradford.

I’m sure the outlying areas are fine but based admittedly on that one experience the city centre isn’t a place id be keen to go back to.

Master
    I work in Preston and use to work near the BAE office.
    I don’t have much knowledge of the rental market, other than a lot is student accommodation as the University has undergone huge expansion in the last couple of decades.
    If you want to know what any particular area is like drop me a PM.
    If I don’t know the area myself, I’ll know someone who will.
    For what it’s worth, BAE is renowned for being a great company to work for.
    Last edited by Cynar; Today at 11:07.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by draftsmann View Post
    Some years ago I found myself passing through Preston between the bus station and railway station. I chose to walk- around a 15 minute walk if I recall. It was a weekday evening in early summer, still daylight. It’s one of the few times I’ve ever felt unsafe walking around in public in Britain, on account of the groups of “disaffected yoof” hanging around. And for reference I’ve spent a lot of time in places like SE London and Bradford.

I’m sure the outlying areas are fine but based admittedly on that one experience the city centre isn’t a place id be keen to go back to.
    Not at all the impression I’ve ever had in Preston. It’s not Bourton on the Water, but no worse than any other city I’ve been to. I’ve never felt unsafe there. There are some rough areas I wouldn’t choose to go, but the city centre isn’t one of them.

Craftsman

Preston....

My UK home is in Preston, and I work for BAES (albeit in the desert now).... I like Preston but it's a college town and tatty in areas..... Lytham St Annes (Lytham bit more pricey than St Annes) was where I lived when I started out...... would be where most of the BAES graddies live I would've thought, just a bit of a drive (40 minutes or so?) to their other site in Samlesbury, Preston-wise its nice round Winkley Square / Avenham Park... feel free to PM me with any questions regarding the company or the area :)

Samlesbury fella checking in.... Haven't the company provided some details about the local area? The used to but that was a good few years ago.. same as above feel free to drop a message if an insider view would help

Master
    Depends if he is based at Salmsbury or Wharton , both well out of Preston city. Once he knows location decisions will be easier.

I have spent over ten years working in Preston in the last thirty years. I would echo comments above, very warm people and Bae is a great employer, good luck to him.

Quote Originally Posted by draftsmann View Post

Mean and totally unnecessary post.

Sent from my M2101K6G using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by higham5 View Post
    Depends if he is based at Salmsbury or Wharton , both well out of Preston city. Once he knows location decisions will be easier.

I have spent over ten years working in Preston in the last thirty years. I would echo comments above, very warm people and Bae is a great employer, good luck to him.
    They have an office in Preston as well as the massive Salmesbury and Warton sites.
    I remember a fun day many years ago doing skid training with Lancashire Police driving instructors on the runway at Salmesbury.

Blog Entries
    Many many thanks all(?) for your kind thoughts and taking the time to reply, its great.

His mew employer have been superb and are indeed assisting with relocation, it was just useful for us to have some thoughts from the TZ faithful.

Thank you also for the offers of PM's, I would hope next week we will know where he will be based.

All the best

Pitch

I live about 4 miles north west of Preston in a smallish village. Worked for 18 years in central Preston and never had any issues.

As stated above Lytham is a nice ( but getting pricey) place with lots going on in summer.

St.Annes further north of Lytham is O.K. but watch out for drugs.

I'm ashamed to say I'm fromBlackpool and advise you to avoid it like the plague.

Lots of nice villages around Preston, many with good pubs (i.e. The Eagle at Weeton).

And, don't forget if he's into any sort of activity the Lake District is only about and hour North.