closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 156 of 354 FirstFirst ... 56106146154155156157158166206256 ... LastLast
Results 7,751 to 7,800 of 17667

Thread: More bike related stuff

Quote Originally Posted by Tifa View Post
    Yep.
    Was a while ago, but it taught me a lesson.
    Replace the inners regularly.
    I've seen it recommended that inners should be replaced at every tyre change which probably makes sense.

The only rapid deflation I've had has also been on a tubed tyre, but as it was the rear of my 1974 Peugeot step through moped, I was probably only doing about 40

Not been on much over the last few days, so catching up.

Just on the subject of 2 finger braking - I always use this technique & can easily lock the brakes on my track bike with slicks (no ABS) and trigger the ABS on the S1000RR with 2 fingers. I also believe it's easier to modulate the braking force with 2 fingers too.

Pretty sure most racers would agree.

You really haven't lived until you've experienced a rapid tyre deflation (at speed) on a bike....
    AMHIK.
    Happened to me once at (cough) a tad over the legal limit. Rear tyre blow out caused by a wood screw, whilst leant over round a fast sweeping bend on a dual carriageway.

Not entirely sure how I made it to the hard shoulder without crashing or messing my underwear.
    Last edited by andy tims; 26th October 2020 at 13:04.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Blog Entries
    Just renewed my bike insurance through Carole Nash and this was included in the paperwork. Never seen that before but seems helpful.

Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Very nice. Photos of intended purchase?
    Its this model in this colour,with full luggage.
    It has a few scratches,but recent service and MOT.
    For very boring reasons I can only ride a DCT or equivalent at the moment.
    The most practicable bike on the planet the NC750 is as dull as earl grey tea and I was scared on the cross tourer so as you can see I am very limited in choice.
    Most of the DCTs seem to be up north with dealers.

Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    Just renewed my bike insurance through Carole Nash and this was included in the paperwork. Never seen that before but seems helpful.

Well that's rather sensible!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Gyp View Post
    Well that's rather sensible!
    I recon I have 2/3rds of the list on my bike. Tony ( learningtofly) probably takes up 2x A4 with his list.

i would not even count most of those as 'modifications' that would make any difference to the bikes performance -just shows that the insurance companies try to get away with anything except paying out - 'sorry sir you had a sticker on the tank and did not inform us' .

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by pugster View Post
    i would not even count most of those as 'modifications' that would make any difference to the bikes performance -just shows that the insurance companies try to get away with anything except paying out - 'sorry sir you had a sticker on the tank and did not inform us' .
    Absolutely , my GB sticker , well that's a deal breaker sir!

I've seen it recommended that inners should be replaced at every tyre change which probably makes sense.

The only rapid deflation I've had has also been on a tubed tyre, but as it was the rear of my 1974 Peugeot step through moped, I was probably only doing about 20

FTFY!

Quote Originally Posted by pugster View Post
    If you look at some of the farkles that some have bought for their bikes - it certainly boosts the value of the insured asset, and may also increase the chance of theft.

Master
    Did 250kms yesterday on a 700GS. It was lovely to get out and around.

The North Shore

Eastern mountains

And heading to the south shore through the Eucalyptus trees to catch the sunset

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

^^^^^^^^^^ Is that Croydon?

Well, I had no idea that the mention of short levers would cause such a stir.
    Let`s just hope no one ever posts a `what oil should i use` thread...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by E_2_Right-Force View Post
    ^^^^^^^^^^ Is that Croydon?
    Close. A bit further south.

Madeira

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bwest76 View Post
    For very boring reasons I can only ride a DCT or equivalent at the moment.
    If you can still operate the clutch you can buy an electronic shifter and fit it to almost any bike you like.

https://www.flatshifter.com/flatshif...-selector-kit/

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dynam0humm View Post
    If you can still operate the clutch you can buy an electronic shifter and fit it to almost any bike you like.

https://www.flatshifter.com/flatshif...-selector-kit/
    I was having a first service and quick shifter Fitted to the Rocket yesterday, and the dealership had a Speedmaster with the that shifter fitted. It was for a customer that had lost his lower leg..

The set up looked really good, and one of the mechanics told me he’d ridden the bike and it was pretty good

Quote Originally Posted by E_2_Right-Force View Post
    Let`s just hope no one ever posts a `what oil should i use` thread...
    You forgot to mention tyre pressures....

Damn Richy Vida...

I want one now!

Master
    I want one now!

I’m loving mine❤️

Just had Triumph Shift assist fitted and it’s brilliant, clutchless up and down gear changes, with a throttle blip on the down shift. Just makes me smile.

Got a faulty front wheel though🙁 since ownership I’ve noticed a very slight vibration from the front end, I put it down to an out of balance front wheel, but wasn’t to bothered because I also ordered TPMS To be fitted At the first service, so thought they’ll be taking the tyre off and rebalancing anyway.

I mentioned the vibration to the mechanic when I dropped the bike off and he said he’d check it out. Turns out the front wheel is slightly out of true. The runout is outside of spec.

So it’s getting a new wheel, discs and pads under warranty. 👍

You forgot to mention tyre pressures....
    Do they matter?

Quote Originally Posted by MakeColdplayHistory View Post
    Do they matter?

Well.......and since you're mentioning it..................................

Master
    Well.......and since you're mentioning it..................................
    My new TPMS tells me on the dash👍👍😎

Quote Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
    My new TPMS tells me on the dash
    Mine tells me on my phone so i know if I'll need to pump up before getting out of bed

I think I'm a bit in love.

Anyone know where this is?

Edit: That's too difficult, but it's here - one of our regular haunts when I was in my teens and twenties as i grew up just down the road in Golders Green...

Remember the music hall song “Down at the Old Bull and Bush” made famous by Florrie Forde in the early years of the 20th century?

Come, come, come and make eyes at me
    Down at the Old Bull and Bush,
    Come, come, drink some port wine with me,
    Down at the Old Bull and Bush,
    Hear the little German Band,
    Just let me hold your hand dear,
    Do, do come and have a drink or two
    Down at the Old Bull and Bush, Bush, Bush
    Come, come, come and make eyes at me

Here's a shot from a 1906 bank holiday...

And another from 1949, looking very much the same as it does today...

See?

Last edited by learningtofly; 28th October 2020 at 17:13.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I picked up my VFR1200FD yesterday after a scary wet and windy,car drivers not looking test ride.

It accelerates like a rocket,I doubt I will go anywhere near the top speed even on the Autobahn.
    I didnt push it round corners as its new to me and I dont like Dunlop tyres but it felt steady.
    Ive been checking it over today front tyre was way over inflated and it has some extras I didnt notice like hot grips.
    I have decided to fit some BT023s my friends getting me a price,big 190 rear boot on it.
    The DCT is nothing short of a delight it will make my life much easier,though I will use it in manual mode D was to soft and S to revvy.
    Summers on its way

Master
    Mine tells me on my phone so i know if I'll need to pump up before getting out of bed
    Now that’s high Tec. I can just about send a text on my phone🤪

Are we still talking about tyres?

Are we still talking about tyres?
    Mostly

I picked up my VFR1200FD yesterday after a scary wet and windy,car drivers not looking test ride.

It accelerates like a rocket,I doubt I will go anywhere near the top speed even on the Autobahn.
    I didnt push it round corners as its new to me and I dont like Dunlop tyres but it felt steady.
    Ive been checking it over today front tyre was way over inflated and it has some extras I didnt notice like hot grips.
    I have decided to fit some BT023s my friends getting me a price,big 190 rear boot on it.
    The DCT is nothing short of a delight it will make my life much easier,though I will use it in manual mode D was to soft and S to revvy.
    Summers on its way
    That’s a quality bike
    Had 2 DCT bikes and agree, it’s the way forward...well it would have been before electric bikes became 100% the way forward. Either way, gear and clutch skills will be very much advance/retard for my grandkids.

Had a day of trail riding on a Honda CRF250. It was very wet and so conditions were quite challenging (muddy, very slippery and quite deeply rutted), the upside being that a lot of the ground was soft...but the trees were still quite tough.
    Apart from some basic trials (not trail) riding training a few years ago this was the first time I'd ridden such a variety of terrains for donkeys years. Needless to say I was well and truly out of practice (and fitness) but ended the day more or less intact and well and truly knackered.

Congrats on the new Viffer....brilliant bikes.

I bought a low milage, (2500 miles) 13 year old bike a few years back.
    Riding it home, it started to rain. It was like riding on ice...very skittish.
    Got home, checked the tyres and they were of course the OE's it had left the factory with...14 years old.
    Rubber was as hard as nails, with no give.
    A new set transformed the handling.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Congrats on the new Viffer....brilliant bikes.

I bought a low milage, (2500 miles) 13 year old bike a few years back.
    Riding it home, it started to rain. It was like riding on ice...very skittish.
    Got home, checked the tyres and they were of course the OE's it had left the factory with...14 years old.
    Rubber was as hard as nails, with no give.
    A new set transformed the handling.
    My friend is fitting me Bridgestone BT023 GTs for heavier bikes when the weathers better.

Made a video of a ride out to The Original Tea Hut in Epping Forest with another YouTuber.

If anyone fancies popping over there the sausages are bloody lovely!
    Last edited by learningtofly; 30th October 2020 at 16:52.

Master
    Blog Entries
    your videos are high quality productions,mine in contrast are press and play,mostly noisy, out of focus and boring.

your videos are high quality productions, mine in contrast are press and play, mostly noisy, out of focus and boring.
    That's very kind of you, but I suspect there are more similarities than differences

Master
    Blog Entries
    Something to watch when it’s raining or lockdown.

^^^I love that film, it`s a real feel-good watch.

However, i always have a slight sense of frustration after viewing it - the Americans are so lucky in having all that open space to play in. Forests, deserts, beaches, no-one seems to mind you having fun over there.
    The beach scene at the end looks fantastic fun - imagine trying to do that in the UK with all our bye laws, restrictions and trespass acts.
    Sigh....

Why do I keep looking at Harley baggers?

I love my Triumph. I have no intention of parting with my Triumph. So why did I find myself in the local dealership yesterday sitting on a Road King?

I love my Triumph. I have no intention of parting with my Triumph. So why did I find myself in the local dealership yesterday sitting on a Road King?
    Well if nothing else it looks like a comfy place to sit.

Is it against the law to have a Triumph and a Harley?

Quad Lock vs SP Moto?
    At the risk of everyone just recommending what they use, what are the pros/cons?

I've been using my 'phone' in my jacket pocket for SatNav and music while riding but would like to try having the screen visible for the SatNav. The bike has a padded handlebar brace so that limits mounting choices a bit. In fact, without having tried it, the best mounting my actually be on the brace next to the padding using one of their mirror mounts - I guess I'll have to measure the diameter of the brace.

Another consideration is that I won't be using it much of the time. I often plan a route on roads I already know. Either that or just go out exploring so I don't mind getting a bit lost. So it would be a big advantage to me if it was unobtrusive when not in use. In fact something that was completely removeable (easy (and tool-less) to put on and off) while being completely secure in use would be ideal but may not exist.

edit: I think Quad Lock may have won it as SP don't have a case for my phone (Pixel 3 XL).
    Last edited by MakeColdplayHistory; 31st October 2020 at 12:22.

Quote Originally Posted by MakeColdplayHistory View Post
    Well if nothing else it looks like a comfy place to sit.

Is it against the law to have a Triumph and a Harley?
    Not at all, and if I were to buy one it would replace the BMWs so the Triumph would stay.

Man logic suggests Triumph for pottering around the lanes, especially those with grass and gravel up the middle and Harley for longer distances and touring.

Man logic then has to ignore that the Triumph has 112 litres of luggage space whereas the Harley as 53 litres and there's little point in a tourer if I can't go anywhere.

The key thing that the Triumph has made me realise over the last couple of years is that I don't have to go fast to enjoy the ride, as long as the bike is designed to be ridden that way

Master
    Blog Entries
    The key thing that the Triumph has made me realise over the last couple of years is that I don't have to go fast to enjoy the ride, as long as the bike is designed to be ridden that way.

thats a very good way of putting.

I dream of one day riding an old British single up in the Alps.

Blog Entries

Don't fight it.......
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Don't fight it.......
    Resistance is futile...
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Errr, keep it clean please

Innuendo or not he won't, as even the 2 wheels variety tend to leak...
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

The key thing that the Triumph has made me realise over the last couple of years is that I don't have to go fast to enjoy the ride, as long as the bike is designed to be ridden that way.

thats a very good way of putting.
    It has needed me to get to the age my father was when he passed on the advice for me to realise he was right.

Fast bikes aren't particularly enjoyable when ridden at sensible (legal) speeds, however when you are young you know that fast is good. Of course, as you're not enjoying the bike as much as you expected, that must be because it's not fast enough.

So you get a faster one.

And while that feels great when you twist the throttle and giggle a bit, it likely feels less satisfying at sensible speeds.

So you get a faster one... and so it continues

Manufacturers have to keep increasing power to satisfy buyer demand. To achieve this they build increasingly oversquare engines; big pistons with a short stroke so they can rev higher and give big peak figures as that's what sells. To get the benefit from the power and get good drag strip figures the bikes have to be lighter and the rider needs to get in an aerodynamic tuck.

The alternate is to go for an engine that's nearer to square or even undersquare. Much lower revving, much lower peak power figures but great big dollops at low and mid range. These engines allow you to have a bike that's a bit heavier, much more comfortable and doesn't rely on a wind-cheating riding position as they are not chasing top speed trophies.

Often when riders try a cruiser with a square or undersquare engine, they make the mistake of trying to ride them like the sportsbikes they are used to and moan like hell that they are slow, heavy and, when ridden fast, handle poorly. There's usually a comment about how come a nearly 2-litre engine can only produce 90bhp, ignoring that that engine is producing between 125Nm and 135Nm of torque all the way from tick over to the redline.

But no, chill out, don't hurry and get where you are going relaxed and comfortable.

Cruising on a cruiser is a great experience as is hooning on a sports bike, but only one of those things can be done safely, legally and with a fighting chance of keeping your licence.

I think dad was right.

Don't fight it.......
    Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    Resistance is futile...
    :-)

At the moment the £10k+ I'd have to add to the R1200R to buy one is applying a reasonable handbrake.

Master
    Blog Entries

Ahhhh now my minds running around in circles,Dame Judy Dench,Hellen Mirren maybe

Master
    Blog Entries
    My new (old) bike has plastic on the tank so I have been working out the tanklock system,I like a bag in front for glasses,phone,water etc.

Sportsbike shop have free postage and returns plus price match,they have been excellent I ordered yesterday they delivered today.

This one is close to my oxford products tank bag with side pockets etc.

If anyone wants one I can link to the link I used for the price match I paid £69

note you need a tank ring specific to your bike as well.

https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/mot...nt_prod/500193