closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Varifocal contact lenses

Varifocal contact lenses

Has anyone any experience?

Rather than using specs just for reading I've resorted to varifocal specs with the addition of prescription lenses in my sunglasses, I've used contact lenses before with no problems but I'm wondering how good varifocal contacts might be as an alternative, anyone tried /currently using?
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

I tried them and found them nowhere near as good as varifocal glasses. They were adequate at everything but not as sharp as my glasses at all distances. Took a months trial but went back to glasses. If you can get a no obligation trial then it would certainly be worth giving them a trial as they may well work for you. My trial was with Vision Express.
    Best Regards - Peter

I'd hate to be with you when you're on your own.

I’ve tried many brands/strength combos. I found you get the worst of both worlds, not as good distance or reading vision in them.

I just wear distance lenses and a pair of Larry Graysons. ymmv though!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    Eletos experience pretty much sums it up perfectly for my time using them .

Quote Originally Posted by Griswold View Post
    I tried them and found them nowhere near as good as varifocal glasses. They were adequate at everything but not as sharp as my glasses at all distances. Took a months trial but went back to glasses. If you can get a no obligation trial then it would certainly be worth giving them a trial as they may well work for you. My trial was with Vision Express.
    This, in a nutshell. Astigmatism on top didn't help but still it's a compromise, and a bad one. I wear my glasses and when on the phone it is more comfortable to lift them on top of my head than faf around to get reading glasses, and if your CC are good for near vision they will be good for intermediate (monitor screen) but useless for driving.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Interesting to read of the experiences - I wondered if they were for me.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    Interesting to read of the experiences - I wondered if they were for me.
    I’ve just started a trial via Vision Express. My long and short sightedness aren’t “severe”, as far as I am aware. To be honest, I’m a bit disappointed as the reading correction isn’t quite adequate but that was apparently a necessary compromise to get the best distance sight outcome.

I need to have another read of this:

https://www.visionexpress.com/contac...ct-lenses-work

Master
    Blog Entries
    My wife has used them for years so presumably she finds them OK. Prior to that she wore distance lenses but could read close up perfectly well whilst wearing them; but as she got older she couldn't read without glasses and that's when she got the varifocals.

Craftsman
    I've been wearing the Acuvue Oasys ones for four months. Not everyday. They're OK. Not as sharp as glasses, but it's a good compromise between long and short.. mostly use them for sports or days/nights out.. not in office etc. very clever tech really. I'm with Specsavers and the trial starts with the mid-tier ones (£25 ish ones not the £19 ish ones) but I found them uncomfortable so upgraded to the softer £30 ish ones.

Craftsman
    I tried the Acuvue Moist Multifocal ones a few years ago. Didn't rate them vs my varifocal glasses so most of the trial batch are still in my bedside drawer LOL.

I've gone the same route as you. One pair of normal varifocals, and another pair made up as sunglasses. I had actual glass lenses in each rather than the crap plastic ones that they like to sell you these days, as the glass ones last much longer. Not much more expensive either, and while they are certainly heavier, it is not noticeable in actual usage. Couldn't believe how bad the plastic ones were at getting scratched to shit and basically in need of replacement after only two years.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Griswold View Post
    I agree with this, though I still find them useful for cycling.

They basically work, but because of the way they work, you get a slightly incoherent view. However for a long bike ride where there's a chance of rain, they're more comfortable than glasses and much better than glasses with rainwater on them.