closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 219 of 354 FirstFirst ... 119169209217218219220221229269319 ... LastLast
Results 10,901 to 10,950 of 17673

Thread: More bike related stuff

Well, I did about 130 miles on the Tiger yesterday. Such a different experience to anything I've ridden before, but I really enjoyed it (and thanks go to Ian for planning such a great route to the H Cafe). Anyway, some initial thoughts...

Rideability - it feels very light and agile, and whilst I don't think I'll be taking liberties with it as I could (say) on my Street Triple the way it handles belies its size. It was no problem filtering when the opportunity arose (although I need a little more space for the extra width) but whilst it's absolutely fine in stop start traffic it really comes into its own on the twisties. It really is a lovely ride, and even a motorway stretch on the way home was a pleasure - in fact, what a difference that was!!

Power - the new 888cc triple engine is apparently slightly less smooth than the 800 it replaced. However, coming from a decatted and baffle-less TTR 1200 it seemed as smooth as silk to me. That gorgeous triple induction noise made a lovely change from the ear-splitting roar I'd become used to, and the power (94bhp/87NM) seems to be on tap pretty much everywhere. I'm not technical enough to understand what the new 1/3/2 firing order actually does in practice, but it seems to work.

Maneuverability - my god, it's so easy to push around - far, far easier than any other bike I've had, in fact. As for the centre stand, you just need the tiniest bit of momentum and it pops up on it with barely any effort. I think having a variety of rails and frame bars to grab hold of probably helps, but it's the first bike I've had that I can hold completely upright without feeling like I'm going to lose it at any moment.

Comfort - the riding position is lovely, and whilst I had absolutely no problem with the TTR and it's clip-ons this is a different experience altogether. In that respect my decision to change has been vindicated, but there is a fly in the ointment, and that's the low seat. It's an absolute killer, and after an hour and a half or so I found myself standing on the pegs for some buttock relief. The standard seat (which I have - and its heated!) will inevitably have to go on the bike sooner rather than later, but I'll give myself a week or two with it first until I've built up a bit more confidence.

I'm going to go to football on it today, then - after giving up a Bank Holiday ride on SWMBO's orders - will be taking it down to the Essex coast on Tuesday. That's precisely the kind of thing I bought it for, so I'll report back with an update afterwards. That said, all I expect is a lovely ride and a sore arse. That low seat...

Last edited by learningtofly; 29th August 2021 at 08:28.

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Comfort - the riding position is lovely, and whilst I had absolutely no problem with the TTR and it's clip-ons this is a different experience altogether. In that respect my decision to change has been vindicated, but there is a fly in the ointment, and that's the low seat. It's ab absolute killer, and after an hour and a half or so I found myself standing on the pegs for some buttock relief. The standard seat (which I have - and its heated!) will inevitably have to go on the bike sooner rather than later, but I'll give myself a week or two with it first until I've built up a bit more confidence.
    You look very happy there Tony!

I'm afraid my experience with low seats is the same as yours - comfort is reduced as much as seat height, and also compromises a relaxed leg position. As 99% of the time comfort is the priority over seat height, if you can manage the higher seat the 1% of the time you are stopped then the original seat is a better option.

Quote Originally Posted by Gyp View Post
    You look very happy there Tony!

I'm afraid my experience with low seats is the same as yours - comfort is reduced as much as seat height, and also compromises a relaxed leg position. As 99% of the time comfort is the priority over seat height, if you can manage the higher seat the 1% of the time you are stopped then the original seat is a better option.
    I don't think it'll be a problem on shorter rides, but for an all day stint it would be unusable. It's only 20mm difference from standard anyway, so I guess that just means I won't be completely flat-footed when I switch them over (how did you manage to flat foot the one you sat on?).

Master
    Tony glad you like your bike. Re seat dont rule out an “ airhawk” very low inflated cushion the adventure boys use when doing 600- 1500 mile days. Looks a bit strange but reduces pressure on your sit bones. The riding position will be more upright compared to the Thruxton where potentially you were taking weight on your arms. Now its all on your backside.

https://airhawk.net/

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by higham5 View Post
    Tony glad you like your bike. Re seat dont rule out an “ airhawk” very low inflated cushion the adventure boys use when doing 600- 1500 mile days. Looks a bit strange but reduces pressure on your sit bones. The riding position will be more upright compared to the Thruxton where potentially you were taking weight on your arms. Now its all on your backside.

https://airhawk.net/

Steve
    Yes, I did say yesterday that the upright position might be partly to blame, Steve, so I guess the discomfort will ease a bit over time. Given that I already have the standard seat anyway, I think that'll be the next step, and hopefully it'll preclude the need for aftermarket solutions.

Master
    Yes, I did say yesterday that the upright position might be partly to blame, Steve, so I guess the discomfort will ease a bit over time. Given that I already have the standard seat anyway, I think that'll be the next step, and hopefully it'll preclude the need for aftermarket solutions.
    Good logic Tony , my low seat on my GS was like a board at anything over 2/3 hours. So I upgraded to a Touratech first then the creme dela creme a Sargent seat. I had no option of std seat as it was just too high.

I just kept selling the old seats and a steal of the GS site landed the red piping one.

Last edited by higham5; 29th August 2021 at 08:29.

how did you manage to flat foot the one you sat on?
    I got the balls of my feet on the floor on the standard one with the seat in low position, but I was wearing my very thin work trousers and very thick work boots. And I suspect my COVID body sculpting means I likely compress the suspension a tad further than you do. The shape of the front of the seat and the narrow-waisted frame helps too.

I could only get my heels down on the Tiger 900 GT Low

Master
    Congrats on the new Tiger, Tony. Looks great and should really open up a new/different aspect of biking. My mate who has a Tiger 900 is also not the tallest chap (and probably weighs 70kg wet through). He has the standard seat set on the low position and has become very confident on the bike.

In fact, he's rather annoying. We are riding along with intercoms connected and every five minutes he shouts "I ****** love this bike!". The first few times it made me laugh...

In other news, I finally got the panniers for my Multi...

Just got to wait for the heated grips and centre stand now...
    Last edited by downer; 29th August 2021 at 09:05.

Quote Originally Posted by downer View Post
    Congrats on the new Tiger, Tony. Looks great and should really open up a new/different aspect of biking. My mate who has a Tiger 900 is also not the tallest chap (and probably weighs 70kg wet through). He has the standard seat set on the low position and has become very confident on the bike.

In fact, he's rather annoying. We are riding along with intercoms connected and every five minutes he shouts "I ****** love this bike!". The first few times it made me laugh...

In other news, I finally got the panniers for my Multi... Just got to wait for the heated grips and centre stand now...
    Thank you, and that's precisely what I'm hoping (and why i bought it). I did think similarly to your friend a number of times yesterday, but given that i had a bit of a cold anyway I thought better of adding further to the unwanted ambient noise on the intercom!

Very nice looking bike that Triumph, enjoy, night and day the seating and riding position between one of those and a Street Triple as I can testify, I much prefer the more upright position and once on the roads their weight and balance is superb…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's a great looking bike Tony. Thanks for the write up. Couldn't you just get some of those pants that Cyclists wear to make the low seat more comfy?

Quote Originally Posted by SimonH View Post
    Oops

Nice!!
    Is that a ‘98 RR-W?
    How are you finding it?

Well, I did about 130 miles on the Tiger yesterday. Such a different experience to anything I've ridden before, but I really enjoyed it (and thanks go to Ian for planning such a great route to the H Cafe). Anyway, some initial thoughts...

Rideability - it feels very light and agile, and whilst I don't think I'll be taking liberties with it as I could (say) on my Street Triple the way it handles belies its size. It was no problem filtering when the opportunity arose (although I need a little more space for the extra width) but whilst it's absolutely fine in stop start traffic it really comes into its own on the twisties. It really is a lovely ride, and even a motorway stretch on the way home was a pleasure - in fact, what a difference that was!!

Power - the new 888cc triple engine is apparently slightly less smooth than the 800 it replaced. However, coming from a decatted and baffle-less TTR 1200 it seemed as smooth as silk to me. That gorgeous triple induction noise made a lovely change from the ear-splitting roar I'd become used to, and the power (94bhp/87NM) seems to be on tap pretty much everywhere. I'm not technical enough to understand what the new 1/3/2 firing order actually does in practice, but it seems to work.

Maneuverability - my god, it's so easy to push around - far, far easier than any other bike I've had, in fact. As for the centre stand, you just need the tiniest bit of momentum and it pops up on it with barely any effort. I think having a variety of rails and frame bars to grab hold of probably helps, but it's the first bike I've had that I can hold completely upright without feeling like I'm going to lose it at any moment.

Comfort - the riding position is lovely, and whilst I had absolutely no problem with the TTR and it's clip-ons this is a different experience altogether. In that respect my decision to change has been vindicated, but there is a fly in the ointment, and that's the low seat. It's an absolute killer, and after an hour and a half or so I found myself standing on the pegs for some buttock relief. The standard seat (which I have - and its heated!) will inevitably have to go on the bike sooner rather than later, but I'll give myself a week or two with it first until I've built up a bit more confidence.

I'm going to go to football on it today, then - after giving up a Bank Holiday ride on SWMBO's orders - will be taking it down to the Essex coast on Tuesday. That's precisely the kind of thing I bought it for, so I'll report back with an update afterwards. That said, all I expect is a lovely ride and a sore arse. That low seat...

Looks great.
    Another vote for Sargent seats if all else fails but I’m sure the standard seat will improve things a lot.
    Safe riding.

Quote Originally Posted by Martylaa View Post
    Very nice looking bike that Triumph, enjoy, night and day the seating and riding position between one of those and a Street Triple as I can testify, I much prefer the more upright position and once on the roads their weight and balance is superb…
    Thanks. it really is different.

Quote Originally Posted by manganr View Post
    That's a great looking bike Tony. Thanks for the write up. Couldn't you just get some of those pants that Cyclists wear to make the low seat more comfy?
    I think I have some, actually, although not the Lycra type. Ah, the mountain bike...

Quote Originally Posted by Plake View Post
    Looks great.
    Another vote for Sargent seats if all else fails but I’m sure the standard seat will improve things a lot.
    Safe riding.
    Yes, that may be an option but I'm hoping it won't be necessary. It looks like I've already wasted my money on the low seat

Quote Originally Posted by higham5 View Post
    John let me help you a SP1 will go up in value, a GS wont, unless its a GS80 Dakar etc
    Do it, just do it...Baron Von Grumble on 44 Teeth just picked up a mint SP2...What a superb bit of kit.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

https://youtu.be/q6lI_rnk2fw

Cool

Oops

Was that from Essex? I'm sure I saw that for sale on FB for bikes of that era. So back in the day that slip on would fail an MOT, have the rules changed or do you still need another quiet slip on? What is the roadtax for one of those these days?£170

I'm definitely not looking to buy

ETA found roadtax £170 seems a bit cheeky compared to Mrs Car is £0 with a bigger petrol engine but never was a sensible or consistent approach to RFL
    Last edited by Chicken Pox; 29th August 2021 at 16:39.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Plake View Post
    Nice!!
    Is that a ‘98 RR-W?
    How are you finding it?
    Picking it up tomorrow all being well.

It's a '99 so last of the carburated models, will have to deal with chokes and fuel taps again!

Bit of an eBay accident, put in a cheeky tester bid not realising the auction was nearly over and ended up winning!

Spoke to the seller last night, seems like a genuine chap and he's gutted it went for so little so we will see tomorrow how it is, the pics always flatter a bit but I think it's fundamentally reasonable bearing in mind it's 22 years old. Vey excited actually! The original round headlight models are starting to get pricy but these fox eye models are amazing value IMHO and I prefer the looks. I love the burnt orange colour so that's all good. Fingers crossed it won't go down in value anyway.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Chicken Pox View Post
    Was that from Essex? I'm sure I saw that for sale on FB for bikes of that era. So back in the day that slip on would fail an MOT, have the rules changed or do you still need another quiet slip on? What is the roadtax for one of those these days?£170

ETA found roadtax £170 seems a bit cheeky compared to Mrs Car is £0 with a bigger petrol engine but never was a sensible or consistent approach to RFL
    Not from Essex no, not far from me actually.

Re slip on, don't know TBH but I am assured if they are not crazy loud it's fine. It has 11 months so we'll see next year, although my local station always passed my Monster 900 back in the day and that was LOUD!

Tax is £96 as far as I know.

Insurance was £100 fully comp so in the scheme of things not a big deal!

Picking it up tomorrow all being well.

It's a '99 so last of the carburated models, will have to deal with chokes and fuel taps again!

Bit of an eBay accident, put in a cheeky tester bid not realising the auction was nearly over and ended up winning!

Spoke to the seller last night, seems like a genuine chap and he's gutted it went for so little so we will see tomorrow how it is, the pics always flatter a bit but I think it's fundamentally reasonable bearing in mind it's 22 years old. Vey excited actually! The original round headlight models are starting to get pricy but these fox eye models are amazing value IMHO and I prefer the looks. I love the burnt orange colour so that's all good. Fingers crossed it won't go down in value anyway.
    Just found it. Very good price if it’s mechanically sound, looks nice and clean.

This era had a proper boot you can put your sandwiches in :) The sound of the engine when you get above 8000 ish revs is addictive. No had a problem MOTing mine but might be worth covering anything on the silencer that says “not for road use” or “track use only” etc.

Good luck tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Steve View Post
    https://youtu.be/q6lI_rnk2fw

Cheers Steve!

I enjoyed that. TMF had a review of the SP1 recently too. More enablement unfortunately for my bank balance...

Quote Originally Posted by Red Steve View Post
    Do it, just do it...Baron Von Grumble on 44 Teeth just picked up a mint SP2...What a superb bit of kit.

I passed my Direct Access in 2004 and actually considered a new SP2 as a FIRST bike !!!!!!

WTF was I thinking!?!?!!

It would have pulled my arms off!

Master

Congratulations Tony, that does look lovely. Hopefully you can get the seat sorted (although personally I can't recall any bike I've been comfortable on after 90 minutes or so!). Look forward to hearing how you get on with it.

For sale: one Peaky Blinders fancy dress prop.

A 1947 Velocette MSS 500. Guaranteed to draw a crowd every time it breaks down. Mechanically it’s quite good, or at least it’s quite good for a 75 year old bike that wasn’t very good even when it was new. They are quite rare, probably because no one was mad enough to actually buy one back in the day and those that did soon realised they weren’t worth keeping. But it’s all there and quite original, probably even the tyres which are as square as a Jacobs cream cracker and about half as sticky. The rear one might be new though since it has £4 written in it in yellow chalk.

The seat is present. It’s not so much a seat as something the SAS would use for training recruits to resist interrogation. But it’s low which might appeal to the more vertically challenged rider (provided they either have ample natural cushioning in the posterior region or severe nerve damage and can’t feel their own butt).

It has suspension, but only at the front which gets as excited as a toddler on Christmas morning at the first sign of a bump. It even has adjustable damping, and by adjustable I mean there is a knob you can twiddle to turn it off. It also has a steering damper which allows you to turn the steering off, useful for when you approach tank slapping speed (about 45mph).

The Smiths speedometer optimistically goes up to 90mph, although it appears to be powered by some kind of primitive random number generator. Someone must have loved it though as it’s apparently done over 40000 miles. This leads me to think it’s probably not the original speedo as I can’t believe anyone would voluntarily do 40k miles on an MSS Velocette.

The gearbox has 4 whole gears with a neutral in between all of them, except 1st to 2nd where there are at least 3. It frequently helps you out by randomly selecting one of said neutrals whenever it thinks you’ve done with whatever gear you are currently in. The actual neutral is obviously in cahoots with the clutch and has devised a cunning plan to make sure you can never find it when you need it.

The clutch cleverly both slips and drags and the adjustment is so fiendishly complicated that attempting to rectify the situation requires an advanced degree in “WTF were they thinking when they made this?”, an arsenal of creative swear words and a hammer.

The engine starts first kick, if you have the right technique. Unfortunately the right technique usually requires 15 or 20 kicks to locate and just when you thought you’d figured it out it goes and changes on you. It has a decompression lever which as far as I can tell is some kind of panic button for use when the throttle sticks.

They say professional riders, the police and such like, rarely use their brakes and that is a mark of how skilled a rider they are. You will be pleased to know that this bike will massively improve your riding skills because it doesn’t have any functional brakes. The Jesus pedal that operates the rear one seems to be the best of the two but that isn’t saying much.

The lights are pure mk1 candle. More of a reminder as to which end is which than to see where you’re going. Although if you’re out after dark on this thing, you fkd up mate.

Riding it feels a bit like sitting on a bag of rocks tied to a three legged cow. Handling is on a par with one of the more sporty narrow boats and it doesn’t have any mirrors so be quick about looking over your shoulder or it will have changed tack when you look back and you’ll be heading for the nearest ditch. I’m not sure how much throttle it has because my wrist won’t move round far enough to get all of it but you’ll be surprised to hear that it’s not terribly slow. I had 65 out of it once. I still have nightmares about that. Apparently Burt Munro (of the worlds fastest Indian fame) got one to do 138mph. All I can say about that is the guy must have had wrecking balls hanging between his legs, and no brain.

The paint job is early period tar brush in deepest hammerite over red oxide with hints of overspray and gobs and gobs of great British patina. Archeologists would be fawning over it if it was on the inside of a cave. It is remarkably rust free though, probably due to the ecologically disastrous levels of oil it throws out. It does however have a handy tap on the oil tank to stop the engine leaking by depriving it of ammunition. It doesn’t smoke much though, at least not from sooty end of the exhaust. Smoke is reserved strictly for the electrics.

It has a service history going back as far as last week and 3, count them, 3 receipts for parts.

So how much for this wonderful example of a bike that was outdated even before God invented dates I hear you ask? Well, it’s rare, original, complete, running, so godamn awful it’s positively hilarious, and there isn’t another one for sale anywhere in the uk so it’s got to be worth every penny of the £11,000 asking price. And that’s cheap, so cheap I think I’m going to hang on to it. Withdrawn.
    Last edited by Groundrush; 30th August 2021 at 16:35.

Truly brilliant!

Congratulations Tony, that does look lovely. Hopefully you can get the seat sorted (although personally I can't recall any bike I've been comfortable on after 90 minutes or so!). Look forward to hearing how you get on with it.
    Thank you, Simon, and I hope you enjoy that beauty of yours too! Never did get to see your Speed Twin, but who'd have thought you'd be flipping bikes as if they were watches

Warrington, centre of the Universe and home of the Mighty Wire
    Congrats on the new bike Tony. Now, how long before you chop this one in for something else

Stuart

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by cinnabull View Post
    Congrats on the new bike Tony. Now, how long before you chop this one in for something else

Stuart
    Errr, thanks.

On the chopping in, it's taken me three years to realise that I need something i can ride all day on (seat issues aside). Given there isn't another ADV that I can reach the ground on, the Tiger is definitely here to stay - it's a bloody fantastic bike, too. The question is, do I at some point build some storage and buy another TTR/R9T...

That made me laugh out loud, lovely looking bike too

Quote Originally Posted by Matt8500 View Post
    That made me laugh out loud, lovely looking bike too
    It's looks have really grown on me. I regard it in the same way as I would a girlfriend who may not have the most beautiful face, but has a body to die for.

Sorry Tony was referring to the Velocette advert. Yours looks great too, and no doubt will last a good few months before you are on the hunt again

Quote Originally Posted by Matt8500 View Post
    Sorry Tony was referring to the Velocette advert. Yours looks great too, and no doubt will last a good few months before you are on the hunt again
    Oh. Mind you, I did wonder what was so funny about it

Quote Originally Posted by Groundrush View Post

A 1947 Velocette MSS 500. Guaranteed to draw a crowd every time it breaks down. Mechanically it’s quite good, or at least it’s quite good for a 75 year old bike that wasn’t very good even when it was new. They are quite rare, probably because no one was mad enough to actually buy one back in the day and those that did soon realised they weren’t worth keeping. But it’s all there and quite original, probably even the tyres which are as square as a Jacobs cream cracker and about half as sticky. The rear one might be new though since it has £4 written in it in yellow chalk.

The seat is present. It’s not so much a seat as something the SAS would use for training recruits to resist interrogation. But it’s low which might appeal to the more vertically challenged rider (provided they either have ample natural cushioning in the posterior region or severe nerve damage and can’t feel their own butt).

It has suspension, but only at the front which gets as excited as a toddler on Christmas morning at the first sign of a bump. It even has adjustable damping, and by adjustable I mean there is a knob you can twiddle to turn it off. It also has a steering damper which allows you to turn the steering off, useful for when you approach tank slapping speed (about 45mph).

The Smiths speedometer optimistically goes up to 90mph, although it appears to be powered by some kind of primitive random number generator. Someone must have loved it though as it’s apparently done over 40000 miles. This leads me to think it’s probably not the original speedo as I can’t believe anyone would voluntarily do 40k miles on an MSS Velocette.

The gearbox has 4 whole gears with a neutral in between all of them, except 1st to 2nd where there are at least 3. It frequently helps you out by randomly selecting one of said neutrals whenever it thinks you’ve done with whatever gear you are currently in. The actual neutral is obviously in cahoots with the clutch and has devised a cunning plan to make sure you can never find it when you need it.

The clutch cleverly both slips and drags and the adjustment is so fiendishly complicated that attempting to rectify the situation requires an advanced degree in “WTF were they thinking when they made this?”, an arsenal of creative swear words and a hammer.

The engine starts first kick, if you have the right technique. Unfortunately the right technique usually requires 15 or 20 kicks to locate and just when you thought you’d figured it out it goes and changes on you. It has a decompression lever which as far as I can tell is some kind of panic button for use when the throttle sticks.

They say professional riders, the police and such like, rarely use their brakes and that is a mark of how skilled a rider they are. You will be pleased to know that this bike will massively improve your riding skills because it doesn’t have any functional brakes. The Jesus pedal that operates the rear one seems to be the best of the two but that isn’t saying much.

The lights are pure mk1 candle. More of a reminder as to which end is which than to see where you’re going. Although if you’re out after dark on this thing, you fkd up mate.

Riding it feels a bit like sitting on a bag of rocks tied to a three legged cow. Handling is on a par with one of the more sporty narrow boats and it doesn’t have any mirrors so be quick about looking over your shoulder or it will have changed tack when you look back and you’ll be heading for the nearest ditch. I’m not sure how much throttle it has because my wrist won’t move round far enough to get all of it but you’ll be surprised to hear that it’s not terribly slow. I had 65 out of it once. I still have nightmares about that. Apparently Burt Munro (of the worlds fastest Indian fame) got one to do 138mph. All I can say about that is the guy must have had wrecking balls hanging between his legs, and no brain.

The paint job is early period tar brush in deepest hammerite over red oxide with hints of overspray and gobs and gobs of great British patina. Archeologists would be fawning over it if it was on the inside of a cave. It is remarkably rust free though, probably due to the ecologically disastrous levels of oil it throws out. It does however have a handy tap on the oil tank to stop the engine leaking by depriving it of ammunition. It doesn’t smoke much though, at least not from sooty end of the exhaust. Smoke is reserved strictly for the electrics.

It has a service history going back as far as last week and 3, count them, 3 receipts for parts.

So how much for this wonderful example of a bike that was outdated even before God invented dates I hear you ask? Well, it’s rare, original, complete, running, so godamn awful it’s positively hilarious, and there isn’t another one for sale anywhere in the uk so it’s got to be worth every penny of the £11,000 asking price. And that’s cheap, so cheap I think I’m going to hang on to it. Withdrawn.
    Best ad ever haha…

Errr, thanks.

On the chopping in, it's taken me three years to realise that I need something i can ride all day on (seat issues aside). Given there isn't another ADV that I can reach the ground on, the Tiger is definitely here to stay - it's a bloody fantastic bike, too. The question is, do I at some point build some storage and buy another TTR/R9T...

Titter!
    F.T.F.A.

Quote Originally Posted by Groundrush View Post

Brilliant!

Craftsman
    Tiger sold, with a shade under 99k on the clock. Part ex for a new moto guzzi. Finally, something I can easily reach the ground on!

Anyone on here have Fantic Caballero 500?
    If so how are they for riders over 6ft?

Master
    Picked up the Blade today.

Absolutely delighted with it. It's 22 years old so you can pick holes in it cosmetically, but actually in the metal it's pretty much as good as it looks in the eBay pics.

It rides like it's two years old not twenty odd, the engine is sweet as a nut and the drivetrain perfect.

Braking might not be up to modern standards but it is frankly more than good enough.

Now, I think it's fair to say I've only scratched the surface of what this thing can do but the performance is pretty savage, my mind boggles at what the current one must be like at over 200bhp!

The handling is probably the best I've ever experienced, it'a almost telepathic the way it goes round corners.

I found the riding position absolutely fine, I was out on it for two hours and no issues, bum getting a bit numb by the end but actually it's surprisingly comfortable.

I think you can probably tell I am smitten, £2.3k for this amount of performance, handling and quality is just mental, and I 'm at lot more at peace with myself (given I don't ride that much these days) to have £2k worth of probably appreciating asset in the garage rather than a £10k depreciating one.

Very happy

£2.3k for this amount of performance, handling and quality is just mental
    Is is, isnt it?
    Especially when you see the 4/5/6 thousand pounds or more asked for complete and utter piles of poo that are advertised as a `Cafe Racer/bobber/brat (whatever they are)/custom` that some clueless clown has butchered from a mediocre-even-when-new ageing Jap 70`s or 80`s anonymous and forgotten about dog (CX500, TR1, CB550 etc.etc, all the favourite hipster donor bikes..).
    It`s laughable, spend less and get a fully-sorted machine (and in your case all the performance that comes with it) that is exactly the way it came from the factory or opt for some some home-made cobbled together deathtrap that costs more and performs worse.

Nice bike you`ve got there.
    Last edited by E_2_Right-Force; 30th August 2021 at 20:35.

Absolutely delighted with it. It's 22 years old so you can pick holes in it cosmetically, but actually in the metal it's pretty much as good as it looks in the eBay pics.

It rides like it's two years old not twenty odd, the engine is sweet as a nut and the drivetrain perfect.

Braking might not be up to modern standards but it is frankly more than good enough.

Now, I think it's fair to say I've only scratched the surface of what this thing can do but the performance is pretty savage, my mind boggles at what the current one must be like at over 200bhp!

The handling is probably the best I've ever experienced, it'a almost telepathic the way it goes round corners.

I found the riding position absolutely fine, I was out on it for two hours and no issues, bum getting a bit numb by the end but actually it's surprisingly comfortable.

I think you can probably tell I am smitten, £2.3k for this amount of performance, handling and quality is just mental, and I 'm at lot more at peace with myself (given I don't ride that much these days) to have £2k worth of probably appreciating asset in the garage rather than a £10k depreciating one.

Very happy

Sounds like you’ve got a good one. Agree that this era present mind boggling value for money. So well engineered and smooth. My 1997 RR-V was about the same cost as yours after I fitted new headers and pads. It’s one of my very favourite bikes I’ve ever owned.

Master
    Thank you, Simon, and I hope you enjoy that beauty of yours too! Never did get to see your Speed Twin, but who'd have thought you'd be flipping bikes as if they were watches
    Ha! I blame you!

Seriously, I've been reprioritising financially in the last six months or so, and finally think I've got my things as I want them now.

I'll keep this as long as I can physically manage to ride it, being 57 that may not be long, but as long as I can keep to somewhere near my current levels of fitness I should be ok.

BTW, for the interest of those short of leg, I am 5' 10" with 31inch inside leg and can flat foot the Blade comfortably. It looks a bit cumbersome because of the wide tank bit it's very easy to manage.

Also while I think of it that can is a bit fruitier than standard I would guess but not crazy loud so doubt I will have problems come MOT time.

Just waiting for the time I forget to move the fuel tap off reserve now 🤣

Quote Originally Posted by Martylaa View Post
    Anyone on here have Fantic Caballero 500?
    If so how are they for riders over 6ft
    Third go at answering this (due to knackered phone that keeps restarting)...

I'm 185cm (just shy of 6'1") and love mine. It's approx 11 months old and I've done approx 3200 miles on it. It's a lot of fun for brapping round local lanes and the twisty roads of the Peak District.

They are not without their faults...
    The seat is uncomfortable. Fine for a quick blast of an hour or so but if I'm going to be riding it longer than that I put padded cycling shorts on.
    Cush drives go quickly but are supposed to be sorted on newer ones. Mine are being warranty replaced.
    Rear brake line goes too near the exhaust. Fluid needs replacing with 'race spec'. Back brake isn't great until done but fine since dealer sorted it.
    Fuel guage is a joke.

There is an active UK owners group on Facebook which is welcoming of prospective owners. The question about taller riders comes up quite a bit and there are quite a few tall riders saying they're fine.
    Last edited by MakeColdplayHistory; 30th August 2021 at 21:55.

Quote Originally Posted by MakeColdplayHistory View Post
    Third go at answering this (due to knackered phone that keeps restarting)...

I'm 185cm (just shy of 6'1") and love mine. It's approx 11 months old and I've done approx 3200 miles on it. It's a lot of fun for brapping round local lanes and the twisty roads of the Peak District.

They are not without their faults...
    The seat is uncomfortable. Fine for a quick blast of an hour or so but if I'm going to be riding it longer than that I put padded cycling shorts on.
    Cush drives go quickly but are supposed to be sorted on newer ones. Mine are being warranty replaced.
    Rear brake line goes too near the exhaust. Fluid needs replacing with 'race spec'. Back brake isn't great until done but fine since dealer sorted it.
    Fuel guage is a joke.

There is an active UK owners group on Facebook which is welcoming of prospective owners. The question about taller riders comes up quite a bit and there are quite a few tall riders saying they're fine.
    Thanks for the good advice, they look great and one I need to test ride, thanks…

Well, let's see if my tortured buttocks can take yet more punishment today, as I take the beast on a little jaunt down to Leigh-On-sea. WTF has happened to the weather, though?

Master
    Well, let's see if my tortured buttocks can take yet more punishment today, as I take the beast on a little jaunt down to Leigh-On-sea. WTF has happened to the weather, though?
    It’s a rufty-tufty Adventure bike, Tony. You look at the weather and laugh at it.

Quote Originally Posted by downer View Post
    It’s a rufty-tufty Adventure bike, Tony. You look at the weather and laugh at it.
    Well, it's now raining, which - assuming the forecast for the Herts/Essex region is wrong as a whole - will unfortunately defeat the object of going down there (I just fancied sitting on the beach/seafront and soaking up some sea air, whilst eating fish and chips out of newspaper).

Bugger!
    Last edited by learningtofly; 31st August 2021 at 09:27.

Master
    Riding bikes for 30 odd years an working for Royal Mail all of my adult life - once your wet your wet
    Get out there - carefully

Sounds like more of a Loomies kind of day, rather than beach.

Well, it's now raining, which - assuming the forecast for the Herts/Essex region is wrong as a whole - will unfortunately defeat the object of going down there (I just fancied sitting on the beach/seafront and soaking up some sea air, whilst eating fish and chips out of newspaper).

Bugger!
    Better take a brolly then!

Well, it's actually now raining, which will unfortunately defeat the object of gong down there (I just fancied sitting on the beach/seafront and soaking up some sea air, whilst eating fish and chips out of newspaper).

Bugger!
    I live a few minutes away from the sea.
    I discovered very early on that in this country, if you wait for a specific weather to do things, you may not do much.
    Case in point: our first dog in this country loved the beach, but like you we associated beach with decent weather, and we looked upwards to decide to go, or not. Then we realised that the weather on the beach might not be the same as it was 5 or 6 miles away, so we went, regardless of the possibly changing weather. We NEVER regretted it.
    It is always invigorating. But more importantly, we had many more pleasant surprises (rained at home, decent on the beach) than as expected (rain in both), not to mention the reverse.

So my advice is: don't make excuses! you fancy a trip to the seaside, go there. Enjoy the ride, and when you get there, adapt to the circumstances. Your sun tan may not improve, but your spirits will, if only for the rides on your new stallion.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.