closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 209 of 354 FirstFirst ... 109159199207208209210211219259309 ... LastLast
Results 10,401 to 10,450 of 17673

Thread: More bike related stuff

Quote Originally Posted by downer View Post
    New bike day:

So now I will begin a long-term comparison between the 950S and my R1250GS. Two bikes that appear to be similar but are actually quite different.
    I caught up with one this evening on the way home from work. My little Triumph was giving it all it had, the Ducati was merely ticking over

Can I apologise for the premature end of summer?
    I've been roasting in my waxed cotton jacket (even with vents open etc) so I bought a nice mesh jacket, put it on and the outside temperature dropped 10c.

New bike day:

So now I will begin a long-term comparison between the 950S and my R1250GS. Two bikes that appear to be similar but are actually quite different.
    Got to love a Multistrada, enjoy it, I’m sure you will…

Quote Originally Posted by MakeColdplayHistory View Post
    Can I apologise for the premature end of summer?
    I've been roasting in my waxed cotton jacket (even with vents open etc) so I bought a nice mesh jacket, put it on and the outside temperature dropped 10c.
    Mesh is a revelation. What did you buy?

Quote Originally Posted by OldHooky View Post
    Mesh is a revelation. What did you buy?
    Fuel Arizona. I've only had it a day and done 60 miles in it but very happy with it. Although if it cools down again tomorrow I might be back in the old jacket.

Looks good. Some come with a rain cover/cagoule in a pouch with a strap which initially I thought no, but probably very handy for when the day cools before you get home.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by vRSG60 View Post
    I went out for a ride late evening, returning in the dark. Denali lights are mint
    Empty roads all the way to Ribblehead and back.
    A chance to give the GSA a blast with no dawdlers in the way.

Not easy to capture the big red moon. It looked 10 times the size to me.

Brilliant photo that brings back so many memories of that road 👍

Well, just cancelled my test of the Tiger as it's seemingly going to p*ss down this morning - pushed it out to next weekend but I'm gutted as I was well up for it

It's an adventure bike Tony. It can handle anything. Rain is no obstacle! Lol!

Quote Originally Posted by manganr View Post
    It's an adventure bike Tony. It can handle anything. Rain is no obstacle! Lol!
    He’s right mind haha…

Yes, I know it can - the problem's with the rider

Seriously, though, I've not ridden an ADV before and I want to focus on the bike when I test it rather than the conditions (and we're getting thunderstorms any time now, apparently). Given the time of year and the fact that the black colour will need to be factory ordered I've missed the summer anyway, so a week here or there isn't going to matter in the scheme of things.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Well, just cancelled my test of the Tiger as it's seemingly going to p*ss down this morning - pushed it out to next weekend but I'm gutted as I was well up for it
    Good decision T, you are looking to test the bike in the way you want, not ducking showers , poor vision and limited grip. The roads will be slippy after this prolonged dry spell and first rain.

Steve

Master
    Lovely. Looking forward to hearing your thoughts for obvious reasons.
    That is beautiful!. I imagine you'll find the engine, power delivery and gearbox in another league compared to the GS. Will be interested to hear your thoughts.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gyp View Post
    I caught up with one this evening on the way home from work. My little Triumph was giving it all it had, the Ducati was merely ticking over
    Quote Originally Posted by Martylaa View Post
    Got to love a Multistrada, enjoy it, I’m sure you will…
    Thanks Guys. I'll post my thoughts as we move through the next year or so.

Of course, my initial impressions of the Multi are very favourable and the differences to the GS are quite stark. The GS can be ridden in a lazy style, as the wave of torque just pulls you through at any speed. The Multi is of course much more eager to rev and the power is slightly more "on/off". As I'm running this bike in and limiting myself to about 6.5k (maybe the odd burst above that!) I'll need to wait for the full experience.

One thing that does surprise me is the apparent static height, which seems barely any different, considering the Multi seat is supposed to be 840 and the GS (on the higher position) is 870.

I ordered the bike with the touring pack (panniers, centre stand, heated grips) but that will need to be fitted at the first service - as the pack is still in Italy. Shame really, as I have a 350 mile journey to do on Tuesday but I'll be using the GS for that as I have to carry stuff.

Anyway, as it's not raining here and the forecast is reasonable, I've got to do my duty and get some miles on the Multi.

Tony, I’d have given some serious thought to having a rainy ride on a bike that you don’t feel obliged to clean afters! A rare treat ;)

Gratuitous pic from Monday when it was 5 zillion degrees

Master
    Lovely. Looking forward to hearing your thoughts for obvious reasons.
    Well, I've just returned from a ride over some of my favourite local roads. All I can say Tony is, if you can make the height work with a low seat, I would definitely recommend trying one before you make a decision.

In summary, bloody lovely - despite the murky weather earlier this morning. Agile, comfortable, great induction noise...

Well, I've just returned from a ride over some of my favourite local roads. All I can say Tony is, if you can make the height work with a low seat, I would definitely recommend trying one before you make a decision.

In summary, bloody lovely - despite the murky weather earlier this morning. Agile, comfortable, great induction noise...

Beautiful looking thing, and glad you're happy with it.

I'm intending to see if On Yer Bike can give me a test ride on a 950 with the low seat fitted. At 820mm I reckon it will be on the cusp, but if it turns out to be narrower in use than it appears from photographs it may do the trick.

Edit: Now testing the Tiger 900 GT Pro on Saturday morning, and the Multistrada 950S in the afternoon. Both will have the low seat fitted.

Not bothering with the GS - too big and too expensive. Mind you, the Multistrada isn't cheap when spec'd up with heated grips, centre stand and Termi end can - £15.5k, so the top end of my budget.
    Last edited by learningtofly; 24th July 2021 at 13:59.

Well, I've just returned from a ride over some of my favourite local roads...

Not a bad place to park an Italian bike and take a picture.

Looks great, but somewhat scary that speced up as I'd like it for touring, it comes to £17,788.80

Master
    You had better weather and took a better picture, but even this morning, the view was good.

Master
    Looks great, but somewhat scary that speced up as I'd like it for touring, it comes to £17,788.80
    Crikey. Is that with every option ticked?

I went for the touring pack and I'll add my own GPS mount and an alternative MRA screen. I think that will do - unless I need rad guards, side stand extender...

Crikey. Is that with every option ticked?

I went for the touring pack and I'll add my own GPS mount and an alternative MRA screen. I think that will do - unless I need rad guards, side stand extender...
    950S in red with cast wheels, touring pack to get the panniers, heated grips and centre stand, urban pack to get the top box, sat nav & multimedia system. Adds up quickly.

I did a little look at the Tiger 850 Sport (not in quite the same league I know) but the base bike plus heated grips and handguards and triumph fittings to fit the luggage I already have, £10,060

950S in red with cast wheels, touring pack to get the panniers, heated grips and centre stand, urban pack to get the top box, sat nav & multimedia system. Adds up quickly.

I did a little look at the Tiger 850 Sport (not in quite the same league I know) but the base bike plus heated grips and handguards and triumph fittings to fit the luggage I already have, £10,060
    I'm going to have to go back and check out the sat nav and multimedia system. Assuming that'll take me right up past your figure (as I'd want the Termi too for sure) it may have priced itself out of the equation.

Edit: Strike that - I don't like what I'm reading about the DMS so would pass on it.
    Last edited by learningtofly; 24th July 2021 at 15:27.

I'm going to have to go back and check out the sat nav and multimedia system. Assuming that'll take me right up past your figure (as I'd want the Termi too for sure) it may have priced itself out of the equation.

Edit: Strike that - I don't like what I'm reading about the DMS so would pass on it.
    The DMS is only a small part of the cost though. Rider tech wise with Ducati's aren't great at the moment. The inclusion of Andriod Auto etc on the Africa Twin seems like a very sensible idea

Not quite sure how I got to £17.7 as when I went through again it was a mere £17.2... I didn't select the Termi either time.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I had an adventure bike (stupid name) wasted my time with that,I fell into the hype trap.

Hateful,heavy thing that sapped my confidence and I dreaded getting on,give me something that I can move around,ride with ease and when I get off stand back and admire.

I would only buy what my heart wanted with bikes nowadays,every bike I have had has led me to adventures anyway.

The Africa twin is massive I struggled to get on it and I am 6ft and long legged,whats the point of it and others like it?

If only they brought back things like the XT500 now thats a proper bike for overlanding,not some massive land whale.

Tony I wouldnt buy new,OYB often has a lot of S/H Ducatis and the like,many low mileage and with extras fitted.

Theres a very,very good mini farm shop tea stop nearby which does incredible bacon rolls and tasty donuts and the like or nip into Claydon house they have a excellent cafe in the yard,no need to book.

Quote Originally Posted by bwest76 View Post
    I had an adventure bike (stupid name) wasted my time with that,I fell into the hype trap.

Hateful,heavy thing that sapped my confidence and I dreaded getting on,give me something that I can move around,ride with ease and when I get off stand back and admire.

I would only buy what my heart wanted with bikes nowadays,every bike I have had has led me to adventures anyway.

The Africa twin is massive I struggled to get on it and I am 6ft and long legged,whats the point of it and others like it?

If only they brought back things like the XT500 now thats a proper bike for overlanding,not some massive land whale.

Tony I wouldnt buy new,OYB often has a lot of S/H Ducatis and the like,many low mileage and with extras fitted.

Theres a very,very good mini farm shop tea stop nearby which does incredible bacon rolls and tasty donuts and the like or nip into Claydon house they have a excellent cafe in the yard,no need to book.
    Yes, with you regarding OYB - their s/h stock is one of the reasons I wanted to go there. Noted re Claydon House, thanks!

Super picture

I think you've raised some good points there re the "adventure" bike genre.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Red Steve View Post
    I think you've raised some good points there re the "adventure" bike genre.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk
    I agree too, to an extent, which is why I've gravitated towards the Tiger. It's just a quality middleweight bike that's good for long distance and a bit of off-roading.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I love bikes,here’s a few that have taken my eye at past bike meets.

There should be one you like at least.

pretty much my feelings , ive seen 'adventure' bikes with so much kit fitted you mayaswell go in the car (and you wont get wet) - the same applies to fitting sports equipment to them (like exhausts) - waste of money.

Master
    The Pan America? No, that's not for me. In any event I doubt I'd get hold of one for some time even if I liked it (I don't think it's officially launched yet).

Well, the Africa Twin is simply too big and there are no variants that I'd be comfortable on. I did think about the F850 GS/GSA but it's chain drive, the 21" front wheel is a downside given that I'm weaving through traffic half the time, it doesn't stack up performance wise against the 1250 (which comes in a lowered version) and there's not really a size advantage compared to the 1250 anyway. I may still test the 1250 if anyone can offer a low one, but it's still a fair bit bigger and heavier than the Tiger and I don't want to feel that I'm dwarfed by the bike.
    Have you looked at the KTM890? Try Premier Bikes near Oxford, they are a Triumph and KTM dealership.

The 890 adventure isn’t the prettiest bike but it rides very well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by pugster View Post
    pretty much my feelings , ive seen 'adventure' bikes with so much kit fitted you mayaswell go in the car (and you wont get wet) - the same applies to fitting sports equipment to them (like exhausts) - waste of money.
    Disagree about the exhausts - there's always a place for shedding weight and improving the sound. I'm with you regarding the bikes that end up looking like mobile homes, though.

Certainly agree on the not buying new bit, I was seriously looking at getting a 950s Multistrada with the touring bits on and it was bloody pricey.

Found (what I think is a gorgeous 1200S DVT model) which was so well looked after it basically looks new for a help of a lot cheaper than a 950s.

Although apparently there are some great PCP deals out there hence probably why there’s so many new bikes getting sold…

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

More bike related stuff

How nice are these as well as the Interceptor.

Anyone got one?

Don’t think I’ve seen one out and about yet.…

Disagree about the exhausts - there's always a place for shedding weight and improving the sound. I'm with you regarding the bikes that end up looking like mobile homes, though.
    each to their own and we all have different tastes , to me adventure bikes are the motorcycle equivalent of a taxi (and a good job they do of it) - i wouldnt put a performance exhaust on a taxi to improve the looks/sound /weight loss either - its still taxi when it comes round the corner :P

Master
    Blog Entries
    Strangely they look better when someone is sat on it,perhaps because it hides some of the gubbins.

I think we all buy bikes because we like the look of them. Adventure bikes look cool so I guess that's why they're so popular. I also like a good exhaust note regardless of weight so to me it's worth the money. For touring, they're comfy and powerful enough to swallow the miles with ease and look good while doing it. All bikes are reasonably heavy but it's something we learn to live with. I have to agree though that whin they're loaded with all the random crap you can get these days they just look like wannabe adventurers. They're not off road bikes whatever they're sold as. If you plan to spend much time off road, get a smaller proper dual sport.

Have to say that when I bought my r1200gs it was a positive bonus for me that it had the stock exhaust. The Akra (on another one I demoed) would have done my head in eventually, too boomy for an 0730 winter commute.

On the other hand my Indian sets off car alarms and I love it. That’s more of an event ride though.

How nice are these as well as the Interceptor.

Anyone got one?

Don’t think I’ve seen one out and about yet.…

You must have had your eyes closed, they are pretty popular and there are quite a lot of them about (in their various guises).

They do look smaller in the flesh than you’d imagine though so perhaps that’s why you’ve missed them.

Master
    I think we all buy bikes because we like the look of them. Adventure bikes look cool so I guess that's why they're so popular. I also like a good exhaust note regardless of weight so to me it's worth the money. For touring, they're comfy and powerful enough to swallow the miles with ease and look good while doing it. All bikes are reasonably heavy but it's something we learn to live with. I have to agree though that whin they're loaded with all the random crap you can get these days they just look like wannabe adventurers. They're not off road bikes whatever they're sold as. If you plan to spend much time off road, get a smaller proper dual sport.
    100% agree with above, if you want an adventure bike for going offroad look Orange eg KTM 525ex, Himalayan or WR250, thats what the ROW riders use. Unless you are a nutter like Nick Sanders then you can use an R1 or Triumph Daytona.

Adventure bikes ( and mines a small F700GS) just give you an upright slightly more assertive riding stance. Ducati and Ktm have melded road and track with the Multistrada / 1260 range. The BMW 1250 is an autobahn beast as the shift cam only comes in at 100 mph plus in top. I have attended various off road meetings and never seen a big bike ridden well off road by mere mortals. Yes I know youtube has lots of talent, but for 99% of folk a 268kgs R1250GSAdv is a handful when it gets slippy.

Steve

A good friend of mine says that tv show with Ewan McGregor and his mate is the reason for so many adventure bikes on the road, all I know is I prefer my Multistrada seating position, comfort and yep it has heated grips etc etc so I'll use it in the colder wetter months.

I'm not sure I'd class my Multistrada as a adventure bike more a sports tourer which is the reason I bought it, it'll never go off road (intentionally anyway) but it will be going touring next year round the country and hopefully Eire as well.

One things for sure it won't be going as fast as this guy does on his Multi...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RX8Nl4mHctc

Blog Entries
    My 1260 Multistrada. love it but up for sale shortly as wife has given up long distance touring :(

12 Ducati Multistrada DVT 1260 by Bilko169, on Flickr

- - - Updated - - -
    Last edited by Frankie169; 25th July 2021 at 08:41.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Take a look at a XT500,SP370/400,TS250,DT250/400 and the like then tell me modern adventure bikes look good.

Take a look at a XT500,SP370/400,TS250,DT250/400 and the like then tell me modern adventure bikes look good.
    Hard to argue, but modern adventure bikes aren't allowed to belch fumes and are built to cross continents in reasonable comfort.

I rode my Tiger 2-up to Naples and back. I probably could have achieved it on a DT250, but it would have been an ordeal rather than a holiday! And it would have used twice as much fuel.

It's a matter of personal taste but I think pretty much all modern adventure bikes look better than that list.

Master
    I don’t get the “old is better than new” argument. It rarely is.

In any event, I can’t see why we can’t just appreciate all bikes?

I don’t get the “old is better than new” argument. It rarely is.

In any event, I can’t see why we can’t just appreciate all bikes?
    I certainly do, it's just I only have one bike so I want one that covers a lot of options...

In an ideal world I'd have 2 or 3...

I saw this on one of my forums.

I kind of get it ;)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Plake View Post
    I saw this on one of my forums.

I kind of get it ;)
    Oh yes.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

More bike related stuff

One things for sure it won't be going as fast as this guy does on his Multi...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RX8Nl4mHctc
    Presumably he knows that road! But Jesus, no margin for error in many places. And no taking in the view.