timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 302 of 359 FirstFirst ... 202252292300301302303304312352 ... LastLast
Results 15,051 to 15,100 of 17916

Thread: More bike related stuff

Quote Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
    Fancied another bobber…

What are you like?

Popped into J & S today, on the off chance of getting a Forcefield armour top to wear under my more traditional leather jackets (that don't have armour pockets) and also replace the need to leave the armour inside the other jackets that do (like a very nice waxed Matchless jacket I have).
    Whaddya know, they had a slightly older model (THIS ONE) black top with CE level 2 armour to albows shoulders and back, for just under £120. Great product, good value for that level of protection.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    What are you like?
    This one is going to be used for the summer. Then stripped and turned into a road burner…. Thruxton R wheels, Thruxton R engine, speed twin forks, clocks and brakes, Ohlins rear suspension etc etc..🤪🤓

Dam you weather apps, going to have a run out to my mates today and start bedding in the new tyres I put on the bike.

All geared up then decided to check the weather, 60% chance of rain and thunderstorms, ah ok I’ll go in the car, bike parked back up and gear off and drove over to me mates pad for a brew in the car.

Not a drop of rain has passed all day, bloody weather apps, i dam you to hell…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Martylaa View Post
    Dam you weather apps, going to have a run out to my mates today and start bedding in the new tyres I put on the bike.

All geared up then decided to check the weather, 60% chance of rain and thunderstorms, ah ok I’ll go in the car, bike parked back up and gear off and drove over to me mates pad for a brew in the car.

Not a drop of rain has passed all day, bloody weather apps, i dam you to hell…

Which app?
    The met Office is the most accurate IMO. BBC often pessimistic forecast that turns out better in reality.

Weatherpro, it failed me today cost me a good spin out, I may switch to metoffice.

This year's DGR

Guys, many of you will know why this is a fundraiser that's close to my heart, and this year I'm participating for the second time on the London ride. If you could see your way to making any kind of donation I'd be hugely grateful - my profile page is here.

TIA.

Master
    Guys, many of you will know why this is a fundraiser that's close to my heart, and this year I'm participating for the second time on the London ride. If you could see your way to making any kind of donation I'd be hugely grateful - my profile page is here.

TIA.
    Well done - donation made

Guys, many of you will know why this is a fundraiser that's close to my heart, and this year I'm participating for the second time on the London ride. If you could see your way to making any kind of donation I'd be hugely grateful

TIA.
    Donated, I’d like to join one of these one year.

Quote Originally Posted by lewie View Post
    Well done - donation made
    Quote Originally Posted by Craizeehair View Post
    Donated, I’d like to join one of these one year.
    Thank you both. You should definitely give it a go, Greg... it's a lot of fun.

Master
    Well I have had it 2 days..🤪🤪

Master
    Love that Enoch.. if I were to have a bobber it would be in that Morello colour.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by gorrie View Post
    Love that Enoch.. if I were to have a bobber it would be in that Morello colour.
    It is a great colour… got some retro decals to fit when they arrive..

Quote Originally Posted by aa388 View Post
    What are the fuel pipes like? I know on the GS at high revs, old fuel pipes close up due to deteriorating with age and not being able to keep open with the fuel flow.
    Replaced them all today while waiting for the carbs to come back from the cleaners.

Despite the age and outside cracking, the inside of the pipes was good and showing no sign of deterioration.

Master
    Crowds of holiday makers, stationary traffic…..No thanks.😎🤓

Quote Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
    Crowds of holiday makers, stationary traffic…..No thanks.😎🤓

That looks amazing!!!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Longblackcoat View Post
    Finally managed to get my KTM EXC-F 500 road registered and had a first ride:

1. I didn’t die of instant death off-road (which is a good thing) and it was immediately and massively better than its predecessor CRF250L Easy to get to grips with in the mud right from the off.

2. But I was using the soft map and traction control and probably didn’t exceed more than 3-4000rpm

3. Because it feels like it could rip my arms off without even trying!

4. And I’d forgotten how much a high-compression 500 single can vibrate.

Overall, an absolute weapon and 1000% more competent than I am. So far I love it to bits, albeit I’m a bit intimidated.
    Quote Originally Posted by Longblackcoat View Post
    Another 3 hours on it yesterday in appalling weather - more mud than I can ever recall - and it's starting to make a lot more sense.

You realise that you can ride stuff in 4th that was tricky in 2nd before and that the forks will swallow pretty much anything no matter how fast you go. The seat is comfortable (for a dirt bike, at least). That the silly-light weight means that you don't have to use anywhere near as much effort to make a turn. That if you turn off traction control and put it in the aggressive map, wheelspin in 6th is absolutely the norm when you're on the dirt. And that despite the power and vibration, actually it's pretty much a docile old bus - I didn't have a moment yesterday where I felt out of control, even when I deliberately tried to provoke it.

Easily the best off-road bike I've had or ridden, just need to get the suspension sorted (new spring on the back) and the engine properly run in.

Re 2 strokes, I tried a 2021 Gas Gas 300 the other week - deeply impressive bit of kit. Not tried the Beta 300 but it's supposed to be brilliant and if I was doing hard enduro it's probably what I'd get.
    Ended up with a 250, just need to fettle it up to suit and hopefully a blast out over the weekend

Master
    Blog Entries
    I havent signed in/posted for a year or two, but have read watch talk and more bike related stuff on and off.

Seeing the struggle Learning to fly,old hooky and others are having to carry on riding I came back as I wanted to wish them the best of luck.

Where there is a will there is a way and I hope you all succeed.

Last year I thought it was all over for myself fighting extreme pain,lack of strength (and age),but towards the end of the summer I was able to have some wonderful ride outs.

Like Tony I looked at my bike and changed things as best I could to make things easier.

This year I am back to square one,I have only managed 2 small ride outs the 2nd one was almost painless I hope the 3rd is even better.

I decided to leave a gap between rides to recover and build up slowly.

Going to alternative hospitals week in week out takes its toll but the goal is what keeps me going and I am sure it will for you as well.

Going to bike events in the car is just not the same, but its good to be surrounded by bikes non the less.

So I wish you well and safe riding.

Master
    BWest76 well done for getting out, I saw a tee shirt recently with “ riding your bike does it good”, changed to “riding your bike does YOU good” There is something about riding a bike, its not quite Zen like, but its close. You can sense/ smell / hear your surroundings. The bike transmits the road to you and you likewise, move the bike with subtle leans.

There are very few times I get off the bike after a ride and thought” phew Im glad that’s over” , whereas many a car journey feels tedious. Regarding going to a bike event, last Wed I attended a J&S bike night in Northwich in aid of Cancer Charity. There were probably a thousand bikes there! Not since pre covid have I seen so many bikers in one place, it was brilliant and lots of money raised for charity and loads of bo33ocks spoken about bikes :)

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by higham5 View Post
    BWest76 well done for getting out, I saw a tee shirt recently with “ riding your bike does it good”, changed to “riding your bike does YOU good” There is something about riding a bike, its not quite Zen like, but its close. You can sense/ smell / hear your surroundings. The bike transmits the road to you and you likewise, move the bike with subtle leans.

There are very few times I get off the bike after a ride and thought” phew Im glad that’s over” , whereas many a car journey feels tedious. Regarding going to a bike event, last Wed I attended a J&S bike night in Northwich in aid of Cancer Charity. There were probably a thousand bikes there! Not since pre covid have I seen so many bikers in one place, it was brilliant and lots of money raised for charity and loads of bo33ocks spoken about bikes :)

Just moving on 2 wheels makes you feel alive,I was taking it very,very easy but very happy.
    I did a little circuit around Newbury as theres several little cafes/farm shops I can stop at.
    The temptation to keep riding was strong but I resisted and stopped before the pain hit hard.
    Then I bimbled over to H cafe where there where some interesting bikes.

The owner of the Rickman told he only gets 500 miles out of his rear tyre riding on the road.
    The VFR sported the original Honda UK paintwork from the 1980s along with a gleaming Motad exhaust.
    I have never seen so many Kettles in one place I think there was 5 at one time all in good condition.
    The Silk looked tired.
    The MV was just gorgeous.
    Nothing beats a big old Zed though.

cool indian names
    Last edited by bwest76; 30th April 2023 at 17:58.

Master
    Im used to seeing lots of “ kettles” as the “Kettle Club” have a stand at Stafford each year. The trouble is I recon some of those bikes never get ridden, they just get taken in a van from show to show. Its great to see them out in the wild.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Im used to seeing lots of “ kettles” as the “Kettle Club” have a stand at Stafford each year. The trouble is I recon some of those bikes never get ridden, they just get taken in a van from show to show. Its great to see them out in the wild.

The first one with the top box is all original and came from the USA he rides it re living his youth he told me.

As you say its good to see them in the wild being used.

I managed to get out on the bike a couple of times over the long weekend, staying local but still enjoying myself (I'm still a bit nervous about going too far afield in case of "emergencies" although with the benefit of hindsight I'd actually have been fine). Anyway, my T120 is apparently due to land at the dealership by the end of this week, so I won't have many more opportunities to play on The Beast.

Anyway, my T120 is apparently due to land at the dealership by the end of this week, so I won't have many more opportunities to play on The Beast.

Good to see you out and about Tony, if I had the space and funds, that would be very tempting.

I’ve had a busy long weekend and arrived home from being away with the dogs in time to cut the lawn and still get a run out whilst the sun shone.

Quote Originally Posted by bwest76 View Post
    I havent signed in/posted for a year or two, but have read watch talk and more bike related stuff on and off.

Seeing the struggle Learning to fly,old hooky and others are having to carry on riding I came back as I wanted to wish them the best of luck.

Where there is a will there is a way and I hope you all succeed.

Last year I thought it was all over for myself fighting extreme pain,lack of strength (and age),but towards the end of the summer I was able to have some wonderful ride outs.

Like Tony I looked at my bike and changed things as best I could to make things easier.

This year I am back to square one,I have only managed 2 small ride outs the 2nd one was almost painless I hope the 3rd is even better.

I decided to leave a gap between rides to recover and build up slowly.

Going to alternative hospitals week in week out takes its toll but the goal is what keeps me going and I am sure it will for you as well.

Going to bike events in the car is just not the same, but its good to be surrounded by bikes non the less.

So I wish you well and safe riding.
    That's great that you've found your way back onto two wheels again. Hang in there, and remember that even tiny steps mean you're moving in the right direction.

Master
    Me and a mate met up with some few fellow R9T riders for brunch at the Bike Shed (biker hangout in London)

(You'd have been with us Tony once upon a time .. or about 5 bikes ago .. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by I a n View Post
    Me and a mate met up with some few fellow R9T riders for brunch at the Bike Shed (biker hangout in London)

(You'd have been with us Tony once upon a time .. or about 5 bikes ago .. :-)
    Stop exaggerating, Ian. It’s only four, and that’s if you count the T120

Quote Originally Posted by I a n View Post
    Aren`t BMW boxer engines just great, the grey bike on the right shows you exactly what you get with these iconic motors - nothing hidden away under a layer of plastic or tucked away inside the frame but two effing great cylinders sticking out delivering globs of torque and flexibility effortlessly and full of character to boot.

I had an 18 the other week on loan and it made me laugh - the proportions of the cylinders on those things are cartoonish.

Master
    I ride on rough roads and where rh obligatory adventure biker gear. Last year I bought myself some new Klim kodiak 2 pants (£800) said I’d buy the jacket when the dealer had my size in stock.

So now they are in stock, I have a trip
    coming up and my pants no longer fit !

Anyone know of somewhere that discounts Klim? I’m loath to spend £2300 on a new outfit. Yes, there other brands but I like Klim.

Master
    Thanks, they are full RRP on current ranges. I think I may have to nip to Germany!

The sissy bar and backrest came today as Mrs C wanted to ride pillion a bit more. We had a quick spin and she was very happy. It won’t stay on the bike permanently but I think it looks better than I had anticipated.

Master
    Bloody electrics!

Having a nightmare getting the Blade going. As usual, as it currently lives outside under a cover, I removed the battery once I'd stopped riding it for the winter and left it on trickle charge, and now all good, perfect battery generating 12.8 volts, bang on spec.

Put the battery in, disarm the immobiliser, ignition on, all lights present so so far so good, press the starter button ... nothing... argh!

So here's where I'm at with it:

I assumed it was an issue with the ancient immobiliser (Datatool Duo). Now mercifully it is at least immobiliser only and quite straight forward to bypass so I did that, still nothing.

Reinstated the immobiliser, nothing, and here's the thing, I think it is working as when you touch the fob thing to the doodah (sorry for the technical terms!) you can hear the relay in the immobiliser, then 20 seconds it clicks off again, as it's supposed to.

Bike is in neutral, kill switch is set to on, so I'm a bit puzzled.

When you press the starter there is no sound from the starter relay so there is clearly no juice getting to it, and there is no drain on the battery to suggest it is trying at all.

There's an inline fuse going to the immobiliser which is fine (stuck a new one in just in case).

The only thing I haven't checked is the 20A fuse to the starter/lights as I'd looked at the wrong circuit diagram and on previous models the starter/ignition were shared so I'd assumed if the ignition comes on it's ok, but on this one it's shared with the lights so I guess I should check that tomorrow, but I'll be amazed if that's the issue.

Unfortunately electrics are not my thing so I'm starting to run out of ideas, but all very frustrating as obviously it was fine before.

Any ideas welcome as long as a electrical numpty can implement them!

TBH once I get it going again I'm inclined to do the immobiliser bypass thing anyway as it's bound to fail some time and I've read a few horror stories about that happening mid ride...

Arghh!

Quote Originally Posted by SimonH View Post
    Bloody electrics!

Having a nightmare getting the Blade going. As usual, as it currently lives outside under a cover, I removed the battery once I'd stopped riding it for the winter and left it on trickle charge, and now all good, perfect battery generating 12.8 volts, bang on spec.

Put the battery in, disarm the immobiliser, ignition on, all lights present so so far so good, press the starter button ... nothing... argh!

I assumed it was an issue with the ancient immobiliser (Datatool Duo). Now mercifully it is at least immobiliser only and quite straight forward to bypass so I did that, still nothing.

Reinstated the immobiliser, nothing, and here's the thing, I think it is working as when you touch the fob thing to the doodah (sorry for the technical terms!) you can hear the relay in the immobiliser, then 20 seconds it clicks off again, as it's supposed to.

When you press the starter there is no sound from the starter relay so there is clearly no juice getting to it, and there is no drain on the battery to suggest it is trying at all.

There's an inline fuse going to the immobiliser which is fine (stuck a new one in just in case).

The only thing I haven't checked is the 20A fuse to the starter/lights as I'd looked at the wrong circuit diagram and on previous models the starter/ignition were shared so I'd assumed if the ignition comes on it's ok, but on this one it's shared with the lights so I guess I should check that tomorrow, but I'll be amazed if that's the issue.

Unfortunately electrics are not my thing so I'm starting to run out of ideas, but all very frustrating as obviously it was fine before.

TBH once I get it going again I'm inclined to do the immobiliser bypass thing anyway as it's bound to fail some time and I've read a few horror stories about that happening mid ride...

Arghh!
    Have you joined a Blade forum, Simon, as - whilst I don’t want to underestimate the extent of knowledge on TZ - I expect that’s where you’ll find your answer?

a lot of starting issues come from the side stand kill switch if you have not checked it.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by SimonH View Post
    Bloody electrics!

Arghh!
    If the bike is outside could rodents have eaten through insulation and or wires. The main fuse is clearly the first port of call, but to blow a 20A fuse you have a pretty big “ down to earth” issue. Can you see the terminals on the starter motor. If so you can rule out a lot by touching the positive pole with a wire direct from the positive terminal. This rules out ignition switch, clutch switch, starter button , sidestand and kill switch just to see if the starter turns. This is very much a rig job not meant for riding!

Normally if a starter motor is stuck you would hear the relay clicking.

Another thought Im guessing the neutral light is on, but just try rotating the back wheel either on the stand or by rocking and engage 1 & 2 then neutral, just to clear any switch issues. Also try starting with sstand up and clutch in to clear those too.
    Last edited by higham5; 2nd May 2023 at 22:57.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by pugster View Post
    a lot of starting issues come from the side stand kill switch if you have not checked it.
    Agree that's a possibility although obviously that kills a running bike and from the wiring diagram I'm not convinced it's involved.

Master
    If the bike is outside could rodents have eaten through insulation and or wires. The main fuse is clearly the first port of call, but to blow a 20A fuse you have a pretty big “ down to earth” issue. Can you see the terminals on the starter motor. If so you can rule out a lot by touching the positive pole with a wire direct from the positive terminal. This rules out ignition switch, clutch switch, starter button , sidestand and kill switch just to see if the starter turns. This is very much a rig job not meant for riding!

Normally if a starter motor is stuck you would hear the relay clicking.

Another thought Im guessing the neutral light is on, but just try rotating the back wheel either on the stand or by rocking and engage 1 & 2 then neutral, just to clear any switch issues. Also try starting with stand up and clutch in to clear those too.
    I don't think it's rodents, there's no evidence of that (I live in a thatched cottage and we have a lot of pest control not least plenty of local cats!)

The starter motor relay isn't clicking at all but agree another thing to check is the neutral switch, good idea to re-engage the gears and see if it clears...

Anyway I've done some googling and found a few things to try with the trusty multimeter so we'll see how we go....

Have you tried shorting the starter relay terminals?

If that turns the starter motor over then you know that the low power circuit is at fault. If it doesn’t then it’s likely to be the relay or possibly (but less likely) the starter motor.

If it’s the low current side, it’s probably either the side stand cut out, the clutch switch or the starter button itself. It could also be that you’re showing a false neutral as already mentioned.

Set your MM to DCV and put it across the terminals that energise the starter solenoid coil (not the two large cabbles that carry current to the starter motor) and thumb the start switch with ignition on.
    Do you get any reading?

Long periods of inactivity may have caused the solenoid to stick in which case you won’t hear anything when it’s energised even though it’s getting voltage to it. Maybe..

Master
    I think that test and Dave's suggestion plus check the fuse I haven't checked yet are my remaining options before I declare myself flummoxed!

I'm still deeply suspicious of the immobiliser, but on the face of it that seems to be ok. The immobiliser looks like it was installed well but the problem with these old vehicles is that twenty odd years is a lot of time for numpties to dick about with them!

Might have to go the RAC route otherwise. When I owned my Monster the only thing that ever went wrong with it was the alarm/immobiliser (another bloody Datatool!), and the RAC chap came and bypassed it, took him about 20 minutes. He was old school though so doubt I'll be so lucky this time, but there's a good bike shop in Newbury so in the worst case I'll get them to take it there...

Master
    Auto Italia at Brooklands last Saturday was a gorgeous day out and excuse to take the 1098R out for a bimble. Didn't take many pics, as the event was heaving.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Master
    Would a bump start rule out some issues - ie if it started with a bump? Just a thought for a quick check - might point to an immobiliser if it doesn’t

Quote Originally Posted by spareparts View Post
    Auto Italia at Brooklands last Saturday was a gorgeous day out and excuse to take the 1098R out for a bimble. Didn't take many pics, as the event was heaving.

Oh my! I love Ducati's. Is that an 888 in the foreground? My absolute dream bike. Probably the only bike now I truly covet.

Master
    I've been spending a lot of time on R1250RS's recently as we now use them as blood bikes...

It's a great bike and it has me thinking an R1250R might be a great second bike to go with my Tiger.

First rally of the year, went with my daugter on the pilen as the triumph is being serviced.
    It rained of course but this meant we got to ride with the hard core guys

BUBI
    @porque.racing

Quote Originally Posted by bubi View Post
    First rally of the year, went with my daugter on the pilen as the triumph is being serviced.

BUBI
    @porque.racing
    Took me a while to realise that you didn't have an illuminated globe for a top box!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by spareparts View Post

What kind is the one with silver Desmocedici on the side? I can’t place it. It isn’t a Desmocedici RR??

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by manganr View Post
    Oh my! I love Ducati's. Is that an 888 in the foreground? My absolute dream bike. Probably the only bike now I truly covet.
    yes, there were a few!

Quote Originally Posted by Time Cat View Post
    What kind is the one with silver Desmocedici on the side? I can’t place it. It isn’t a Desmocedici RR??
    Yes, a Desmocedici RR. Fantastic looking thing, even if it was mechanically quite distant to the actual thing that raced.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by bubi View Post

BUBI
    @porque.racing
    Bloody hell, that Fantic is immaculate! Not only do they have the original MPA helmet but they haven’t even lost the kickstart rubber and they only used to stay on for one kick!