closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 173 of 357 FirstFirst ... 73123163171172173174175183223273 ... LastLast
Results 8,601 to 8,650 of 17845

Thread: More bike related stuff

Quote Originally Posted by steptoe View Post
    I wished. The 1100/1150 models is a simple pivot up the subframe on the front mounting bolts to get the gearbox off, on the 1200 models you have to split the bike in half .. now all back in one piece

Just did my subframe removal, looking at your work I'm glad mine's not a 1200!

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    The GS8550 is a very rare bike, rather than either the GS850 or GS550!

Personally, the Cat D wouldnt bother me but Id rather keep it standard or at least, modified in such a way as to easily return it to standard.

Is it an 850 or 550? Either way, its a nice bike to own.
    Too many numbers, its the 850. Unfortunately too late to return to standard as the frame has been modified already to accommodate the new seat frame etc.

Perhaps its the sour taste from thought of spending twice the purchase price in modifying knowing that after all the work its not got a clean title.

But then, it all happened 20 years ago...

Craftsman

This is the bike.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks like a good starting point, what are your plans?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by a13x View Post

This is the bike.

Me in 1983..

Last edited by Enoch; 20th January 2021 at 10:24.

Quote Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
    Me in 1983..

- - - Updated - - -
    Coincidentally, I had a gsx250 like the one in the background in 1983.

im not much a fan of the whole DIY cafe racer thing ( often they look a right mess to me) , however a member of a truimph facebook group im in posted this and i though it was rather nice and it must have taken some time to do , mods he listed as follows >

Engine:
    885 Trident engine fitted with 955 Daytona cams, liners & pistons, port flowed & skimmed cylinder head, homemade head gasket, adjustable ignition advancer and spin-on oil filter conversion. Yamaha FZ1000 carbs with one removed and re-spaced to fit, and homemade stainless steel silencers.
    117bhp 69ft-lbs torque

Chassis:
    Trident 900 with Adventurer rear subframewelded on and twin shock conversion. Ohlins fully adjustable rear shocks on homemade aluminium swing arm. Tiger 900 hubs laced to 17 inch rims 3.5 front and 5.5 rear.GSXR forks . R1 top & bottom yokes with Trident steering stem. R6 top mounted steering damper, Brembo master cylinders & brake calipers. Daytona 955i seat narrowed by 3 inches. Seat unit, side panels, front mudguard, chain guard, bell mouth air box and fuel tank hand made in aluminium. Bandit 1200 head light. Daytona 900 clocks in Thunderbird cases.

Quote Originally Posted by pugster View Post
    im not much a fan of the whole DIY cafe racer thing ( often they look a right mess to me)
    Agree 100%
    Most are poorly executed and poorly engineered.
    Unfortunately, there's loads of really nice bikes being butchered.
    Can't wait for the fashioistas to move onto the next big thing, there will be bargains to be had.

Master
    Thats my mates Ducati fixed... done on the cheap so not perfect, but good enough unless he wants to spend a fair few quid..

Tank before

Thank after

Exhaust before

Exhaust after

Bar end and mirror before

After

Master

Thats my mates Ducati fixed... done on the cheap so not perfect, but good enough unless he wants to spend a fair few quid..

Tank before

Thank after

Exhaust before

Exhaust after

Bar end and mirror before

After

Nice work 👍

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by higham5 View Post
    Nice work 
    Agreed. Good repairs without breaking the bank.

Heads up Triumph outlet sale extra 30% using WINTER30.

This make the shirket which is a cracking jacket 70 quid... Small and medium only though..

Thanks but I was too slow. Sigh

This make the shirket which is a cracking jacket 70 quid... Small and medium only though..

Thanks but I'm too fat. Sigh

Craftsman
    Betwixt & between.
    Short list for my '11 Tiger 800 replacement is getting very short. In fact down to 3 - 2 Ducatis & 1 Moto Guzzi. An eclectic bunch:

Moto Guzzi V7 850 (new for 2021)
    Ducati Monster 937 (ditto)
    Ducati Scrambler, possibly the full throttle version, not the Desert Sled as I'm vertically challenged.

Will have to wait for March for test rides, so will have had the Tiger for 10 years. Might even get it to 100Km as well, so unlikely to get a decent trade in. It's been a great bike to be fair.
    Last edited by kildareman; 21st January 2021 at 22:51.

So that is my CBT booked in again for February 18th. Fingers crossed it goes ahead this time.

Chris.

Sent from my Nokia 8.3 5G using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by chris2982 View Post
    So that is my CBT booked in again for February 18th. Fingers crossed it goes ahead this time.

Chris.

Good luck in advance for your test Chris.

Steve

Master
    I've been following this thread for quite sometime and its prompted me to finally have the balls to set about getting a full licence. It's a shame most test centres are not willing to book but that's understandable given the current situation.

I've commuted to work on a scooter, a Yamaha Nmax for some time, which was reliable, smooth and joyless. I sold it last year and purchased a CB125F, a OG Grom and then my current bike a 2018 CB125r which I adore. It feels smooth, is quick to accelerate, looks great and is fun to ride. Which made me think, if I can enjoy a little 125 so much, just wait until I can really see what's out there when I go unrestricted. I've kind of settled for a Yamaha Xsr700 for my first bike as I like the neo cafe looks and modern features. However having never seen one in the flesh that may change.

This thread has helped me pick out some decent gear and look up different models as to what could be my first 'big' bike. I'm really hoping to book my test before my CBT runs out in July!

Quote Originally Posted by Skool View Post
    I've been following this thread for quite sometime...
    Hello and welcome. I'm a relative newcomer to this thread and only passed my test in Autumn so I still remember what fun a 125 can be. I think it was on this thread but someone said "it's more fun riding a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow" and there's a lot of truth in that. The mighty YBR is still in the garage as both wife and daughter now want to do CBT in the Spring (assuming training centres open) and I do take it out for a spin every now and again to keep it running and enjoy the rides.

XSR700 is a great choice for a first big bike and very nearly what I ended up with. It was actually seeing one 'in the flesh' that got me interested in them. We have a motorbike 'superstore' near us which is basically a huge warehouse full of lines of bikes stacked up by style. I'd gone there to look at something else - it might have been in my Ducati Scrambler phase - and was walking down one of the rows of bikes when the XSR700 stopped me in my tracks. I was unaware of them at the time but it just looks right (to me at least).

I'm old enough to remember Kenny Roberts racing in his prime (and had a mate with an 'Kenny Roberts' RD350LC*) so I was looking at the yellow/speedblock XSR700 although I may have bottled it and gone for the silver instead.

(*edit: I actually came off the back of that bike - we'd all met at a local pub with a large car park and were heading off to another pub so he went for the big wheelie across the car park and out onto the road as he often did but overdid it. I flew off the back and hit the deck to see him running along behind it, hands still on the bars trying to get it down)
    Last edited by MakeColdplayHistory; 22nd January 2021 at 08:16.

Lovely to see so many people who've been influenced to take their tests as a consequence of this thread... brilliant stuff, and good luck, everyone!

Chris.

Hopefully things will ease up but I think you'll be looking at a cancellation. I'm waiting to get my DAS done.

Fish

I'm just hoping that all the dogs that people have bought during the pandemic and lockdown don't just end up unloved, unwanted and ignored because people find that they take up more time than they expected, need more care than they realised and eat up more of the family budget than they expected. Remember guys, dogs are for life, not just for lockdown.

Sorry, did I say dogs? Bikes, I meant bikes!

Quote Originally Posted by Gyp View Post
    I'm just hoping that all the dogs that people have bought during the pandemic and lockdown don't just end up unloved, unwanted and ignored because people find that they take up more time than they expected, need more care than they realised and eat up more of the family budget than they expected. Remember guys, dogs are for life, not just for lockdown.

Sorry, did I say dogs? Bikes, I meant bikes!
    Mrs MCH is hoping to pick up an unloved, post-pandemic dog.

I wouldn't say no to (and have room in the garage for) an unloved, post-pandemic bike, maybe a nearly new Z900RS or something old and battered that could do a bit of light offroad with the right tyres on it. In fact I could squeeze two more in but would then have to shuffle them out if I wanted to ride the one at the back.

Quote Originally Posted by kildareman View Post
    Betwixt & between.
    Short list for my '11 Tiger 800 replacement is getting very short. In fact down to 3 - 2 Ducatis & 1 Moto Guzzi. An eclectic bunch:

Moto Guzzi V7 850 (new for 2021)
    Ducati Monster 937 (ditto)
    Ducati Scrambler, possibly the full throttle version, not the Desert Sled as I'm vertically challenged.

Will have to wait for March for test rides, so will have had the Tiger for 10 years. Might even get it to 100Km as well, so unlikely to get a decent trade in. It's been a great bike to be fair.
    My 'next bike' was definitely going to be a Ducati Scrambler Full Throttle, I test rode it twice, absolutely loved it and even photo-shopped all the changes I was going to make. Then I test rode a Triumph Street Scrambler.........

Quote Originally Posted by a13x View Post
    I’ve recently agreed to buy a 79 Suzuki gs8550 to convert to a cafe/scrambler style project. Not a lot of money but checks have come back as a car D write off in 99.

Not sure whether to go ahead or not. Not sure whether it will devalue the bike once converted or if I do go through with the sale, have to keep it.
    Who bothers HPI'ing a motorbike made 1979 ? It's 42 years old for gods sake. If it has a V5 it's a simple check online check on the dvla website to see if it'a legit. ... any insurance catagories against a 42 year old vehicle are meaningless.
    Last edited by steptoe; 22nd January 2021 at 14:30.

Quote Originally Posted by steptoe View Post
    Who bothers HPI'ing a motorbike made 1979 ? It's 42 years old for gods sake. If it has a V5 it's a simple check online check on the dvla website to see if it'a legit. ... any insurance catagories against a 42 year old vehicle are meaningless.
    I use my car check and do the basic 3 check. Itll tell me if its stolen primarily but covers other things.

At a couple of quid, why wouldnt you? Even on an old bike.

Craftsman
    For Ducati riders using Ducati heated grips opinions please. My 2 frames of reference are - Triumph = woeful & Oxford = brilliant 10/10.

Master
    For Ducati riders using Ducati heated grips opinions please. My 2 frames of reference are - Triumph = woeful & Oxford = brilliant 10/10.
    Triumph woeful?... I have factory triumph grips on my Rocket and Speedmaster and theyre brilliant, completely integrated with the dash and no wires.

My mate has the Ducati ones on his Scrambler, and theyre effective, but look crap, because of the exposed wires. They look so crappy that I refuse to fit them on my XDiavel..

Triumph woeful?... I have factory triumph grips on my Rocket and Speedmaster and theyre brilliant, completely integrated with the dash and no wires.

My mate has the Ducati ones on his Scrambler, and theyre effective, but look crap, because of the exposed wires. They look so crappy that I refuse to fit them on my XDiavel..
    Ditto, the ones on my Street Scrambler are super toasty, fully integrate and, unlike the ones on my BMW, I can adjust them without taking my hands off the bars.

For heated grips I am considering these:

https://www.windingroads.co.uk/heate...eated-grip-kit

https://youtu.be/BceShjN19yA

I like the idea of using the original grips. Anyone used these?

Chris.

Last edited by chris2982; 22nd January 2021 at 23:01.

Craftsman
    Blog Entries

Thanks for the heads up! I ordered a few bits and with the discount code they really were cheap!

Craftsman
    For heated grips I am considering these:

https://www.windingroads.co.uk/heate...eated-grip-kit

https://youtu.be/BceShjN19yA

I like the idea of using the original grips. Anyone used these?

Chris.

Maybe triumph changed grip manufacturer but it's been an ongoing thing with Tigers anyway. Compared to the Oxfords the triumphs at full = Oxford at 40% so so. Certainly no better than 50%.
    If the ducati's aren't integrated then I'll stick to the Oxfords.
    Last edited by kildareman; 23rd January 2021 at 10:21.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by FazerBoy View Post
    Thanks for the heads up! I ordered a few bits and with the discount code they really were cheap!
    Bought my missus a textile Triumph jkt in the sale two years ago. Its full jkt armour etc. I think it was 240 down to 45 only XS in stock. She loves it as its a putty colour and just looks like a casual jkt. Very well made all zips poppers etc all still working. Just odd read small or very large sizes when she bought hers.

Steve

Ps The Triumph outlet store used to have a stand at Stafford Classic bike show, it was allways really busy, but haven’t seen it there in the last 2/3 years.
    Last edited by higham5; 23rd January 2021 at 10:13.

Master
    Looking forward to the new chariot soon.... hopefully she will make it through customs without issue. And there are many issues at the border right now!

the truimph outlet sale gear is usually good quality , i got one of the landspeed record jackets a couple of years ago , imo truimph sizing is like timberland and is usually generous.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by spareparts View Post
    Looking forward to the new chariot soon.... hopefully she will make it through customs without issue. And there are many issues at the border right now!

GPz900 with stock pipes..a rare beast indeed..

Bought my first one in 89. It was an 85 C reg. my first proper modern bike. I later bought a 92 with 17 front wheel and upgraded brakes, it was a real disappointment compared to the older model and I soon swapped it for a ZZR1100. But that first GPz was a game changer for me.

Bought my first one in 89. It was an 85 C reg. my first proper modern bike. I later bought a 92 with 17 front wheel and upgraded brakes, it was a real disappointment compared to the older model and I soon swapped it for a ZZR1100. But that first GPz was a game changer for me.

It could be a 750, its impossible to tell from that angle.

It is much more likely to be a 900 though!

Master
    It could be a 750, its impossible to tell from that angle.

It is much more likely to be a 900 though!
    Either way, its a rare beast with full rear mudgaurd and stock pipes...

Master

Eagles eyes and spot on!
    These are photos from the seller to give an idea of her condition. An A8 model -

Either way, its a rare beast with full rear mudgaurd and stock pipes...
    Thats true.

I very nearly nought a new one in 1990 when they were first upgraded to 17 wheels (and no stupid anti-dive) but ended up with a brand new ZZR600.

Not perhaps, my best financial decision but I did enjoy the 600!

Eagles eyes and spot on!
    These are photos from the seller to give an idea of her condition. An A8 model -

The A8 is the best of all the years and with the best colour scheme too.

Im guessing that its coming from Germany, theres a few sellers over there finding some amazing condition old bikes.

Master
    Eagles eyes and spot on!

When the GPZ900r came out it virtually ripped up the rule books. All the magazines raved about it, one of a few real game changing bikes.

A few years later I was lucky to own a GPZ600r which I traded in my Yamaha XS500 for, talk about a different ride, throbbing ashmatic twin to 16” front wheel turbine smooth four.......happy days.
    Last edited by higham5; 23rd January 2021 at 14:13.

Master
    The A8 is the best of all the years and with the best colour scheme too.

Im guessing that its coming from Germany, theres a few sellers over there finding some amazing condition old bikes.
    Yes spot on again. The owner was a real anorak in Bavaria with a deep knowledge of GPZs, Zs, ZRXs, and older Kwackers. The bike has only done an average of 600 miles per year in her 28 year history and has had a full service and carb stripdown/balance. The clocks, clamps, and even fuel filler look in great condition which is unusual for these. I'm really looking forward to seeing her in the metal.

When the GPZ900r came out it virtually ripped up the rule books. All the magazines raved about it, one of a few real game changing bikes.

A few years later I was lucky to own a GPZ600r which I traded in my Yamaha XS500 for, talk about a different ride, throbbing ashmatic twin to 16 front wheel turbine smooth four.......happy days.
    Who can forget...

And here is a nice vid Kawasaki released last year on the GPZ... perhaps we might see another?

https://youtu.be/i9r2jN1F4E8

A few years later I was lucky to own a GPZ600r which I traded in my Yamaha XS500 for, talk about a different ride, throbbing ashmatic twin to 16” front wheel turbine smooth four.......happy days.
    No virtually about it; Honda did the same thing eight years later with the Fireblade and Yamaha a further seven years on with the R1.

All three were complete game changers; nothing since has been the same quantum leap forward.

No virtually about it; Honda did the same thing eight years later with the Fireblade and Yamaha a further seven years on with the R1.

All three were complete game changers; nothing since has been the same quantum leap forward.
    Id say the originally BMW S1000RR came close to replicating the above, with around 25bhp (to much more than that against some) more than anything else. But since then we haven’t seen much more than evolutionary advances.
    It's just a matter of time...

Master
    Yes spot on again. The owner was a real anorak in Bavaria with a deep knowledge of GPZs, Zs, ZRXs, and older Kwackers. The bike has only done an average of 600 miles per year in her 28 year history and has had a full service and carb stripdown/balance. The clocks, clamps, and even fuel filler look in great condition which is unusual for these. I'm really looking forward to seeing her in the metal.

Who can forget...

And here is a nice vid Kawasaki released last year on the GPZ... perhaps we might see another?

https://youtu.be/i9r2jN1F4E8
    This is the baby version Image1611417735.037791.jpg 250 4 stroke thats asthmatic under 8000revs and redlines at 15000. So much fun!!

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    My tatty GPz750 1987ish

Quote Originally Posted by aa388 View Post
    This is the baby version Image1611417735.037791.jpg 250 4 stroke thats asthmatic under 8000revs and redlines at 15000. So much fun!!

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    No, thats a baby zzr! The 600 wasnt dissimilar being fairly sedate below 8000 and a real boot up to and beyond the 14,000rpm redline.

More bike related stuff

My tatty GPz750 1987ish

Im not the only one with a UniTrac then!

Heres my two.

They started off like this.

Obviously the second one hasnt made the progress that the first one has but even thats still a work in progress.

Ive a shed load of spares too; if you need anything feel free to drop me a pm

Master
    Eagles eyes and spot on!
    Thats exactly the same as the one I swapped the red one for, same colour scheme too.

Master
    Made a start on the ducati.... first job fitting some Roland Sands accessories, removing the top yoke and fitted my carbon belt covers. Quite a productive day.