closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 282 of 354 FirstFirst ... 182232272280281282283284292332 ... LastLast
Results 14,051 to 14,100 of 17673

Thread: More bike related stuff

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    TT-3D Closer To The Edge - full documentary on Youtube.

Seen it at cinema and on DVD, but only just noticed it on Youtube.

Im in that film.

36.30 . Not my finest hour i'll admit

I had better races.
    :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Gyp View Post
    Also went to see it at the cinema.

The thing that stuck in my mind was what a shame it was for such an iconic film that they didn't set the position of the on-board camera up correctly on Guy's bike.
    Yeah, but of course it was Hutchy winning all 5 solo races which made it so iconic and that was an unknown (and unexpected) until the end of the week. Very fortuitous for the producers to have Hutchy winning all 5 and for Martin and Cummins survive horrendous crashes during the event.

They managed to capture some very poignant moments too - like Gary Johnson in the pits when the race was red-flagged after Martin's crash:

"We'll be going back out, it won't be any slower" (paraphrasing)...................

Master

Unhappy RIP Kieth Farmer

Just heard that Kieth Farmer 4 time British Champion has suddenly passed away at 35.

He had some awesome races during his career and some nasty injuries, but always came back and was a real fighter..

Had a day trip out to Ypres today.
    Notice anything different about the bike (apart from the poppy)?

Last edited by Stanford; 10th November 2022 at 22:19.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Stanford View Post

Addition of the small screen?

I’ve been waiting for this package to arrive, looking forward to fitting them tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by higham5 View Post
    Addition of the small screen?
    No, although not fitted as standard, the screen is a Ducati option which I've had on the bike from new.

The difference is the red radiator covers, replacing the aluminium looking ones.

No, although not fitted as standard, the screen is a Ducati option which I've had on the bike from new.

The difference is the red radiator covers, replacing the aluminium looking ones.
    Spotted that straight away - cos the originals look shonky.

much improved

Spotted that straight away - cos the originals look shonky.

much improved
    Although, as I said previously, I don't dislike the originals, it does look better with them in matching red

Definitely a vast improvement on the original and looks even sportier! Not a massive fan of the new Streetfighter. I think it's lost its original Streetfighter looks but a simple thing like those panels make it look lovely.

Test ride on this today, very impressive bit of kit. Now deciding whether to part x the GS or not!

Quote Originally Posted by Matt8500 View Post
    Test ride on this today, very impressive bit of kit. Now deciding whether to part x the GS or not!

Supposed to be a really good sports-touring machine (albeit with regular fuel stops) - but that is bonkers torque and power on a bike.............

Too much bike for me !

(have you had a look at insurance premiums yet?)

Supposed to be a really good sports-touring machine (albeit with regular fuel stops) - but that is bonkers torque and power on a bike.............

Too much bike for me !

(have you had a look at insurance premiums yet?)
    I was glad of the electronics… riding to Marseille next year for the rugby and fancy a fun long range weapon. It’s difficult as the GS is so capable, totally different bikes but with the same use for me (commuting, ride outs and foreign trips)

Not checked insurance but I’m old and live in the country

Nice little blast out in the sunshine this afternoon.

The one tooth smaller front sprocket has livened up the already excellent acceleration of the S1000R nicely.
    Last edited by andy tims; 13th November 2022 at 14:48.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Quote Originally Posted by andy tims View Post
    Nice little blast out in the sunshine this afternoon.

The one tooth smaller front sprocket had livened up the already excellent acceleration of the S1000R nicely.
    i thought the s1000r was already lively enough when i test rode one, i have trouble keeping my mt10 on the floor as it is without dropping teeth :P

All I managed was change a front wheel and rearrange the bikes for getting 2 serviced at end of next week.

Then - move them to the back of the garage, and leave the snow-blower at the front..............

It looks so much better than the silver, still on the fence if red or carbon.

Quote Originally Posted by Cavham View Post
    It looks so much better than the silver, still on the fence if red or carbon.
    I don't think red can be bettered

When you want to wear something green when riding and struggle to buy a Kermit

Master

Fantic Caballero 700

The new Fantic Caballero is reviewed in todays MCN. This new model takes Yamaha’s Mt07/R7 to give it more punch. All the road testers rave about the MT07 and R7’s engine , so probably a good choice. At £9K its not cheap though.

Quote Originally Posted by higham5 View Post
    The new Fantic Caballero is reviewed in todays MCN. This new model takes Yamaha’s Mt07/R7 to give it more punch. All the road testers rave about the MT07 and R7’s engine , so probably a good choice. At £9K its not cheap though.
    Interested for obvious reasons. When I bought mine (Caballero 500) I was also looking at the XSR700. I'm obviously biased but I do think the 700 has lost some of the charm/looks of the 500 but it seems an altogether more 'grown up' bike with rider aids, cornering ABS, TFT screen and presumably a working back brake.

If the Cab 500 was my only bike I might look at swapping but for now I think I'll keep it for pootling round the country lanes of the Peak District (which it's excellent at) and look at changing my other bike for something that will go faster/further.

Looks much better, and reminds me to get some black / carbon ones for my X-Diavel.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by SimonH View Post
    Less is more..?!

Love my Fireblade, but we've moved to a village surrounded by small lanes I really want to explore (which it is really not suited to), and there are also some Green lanes to explore too.

We also have a gravel drive and I'm finding manhandling it over the gravel borderline for my back (the riding position is fine though!).

So I'm being drawn to something light and nimble with some off road capability (doesn't need to be a full on Enduro, just able to potter down some tracks). Budget is limited as we need to spend money on the new (read very old) house.

The main contender currently is the Fantic Caballero 500, either the Scrambler or Rally. I know there's been a couple of people on here who have owned and liked these.

Am I mad?! I genuinely don't think I will miss the power, something light and nippy will be plenty for the sort of riding I plan to do, and I have zero desire to go touring or do distances on motorways.

Is there anything else I should consider. Also been starting to wonder about something more classic, but I suspect the Fantic will fit the bill nicely.

Any thoughts?!
    I dipped my toe back in the world of off-road with a Honda CRF250L - it was a (slightly drunken) eBay purchase that I got for a stupidly low price a few months back, then (as you do) spent money fettling. Key is Michelin Tracker tyres and mousses (yes, I know they're not road legal) and K-Tech suspension front and rear. It now rides really well, has as much power as you ever need for green-laning, is cheap to fix and is reasonably well-built. I've not managed to break it yet and it just plods through mud/slime/water without drama. The KTM boys I ride with have the advantage of a 30-40kg weight reduction, but it comes at a price (both purchase £ and maintenance) and they're really no fun to ride on the road.

You can get a CFR250 for a bit over £3k, a 300 for about a grand more. Budget £1000 for suspension/tyres and you're all set up.

Edited to add: I'd absolutely avoid the Honda CRF450L - an entirely different bike to the 250/300 and one that's very close to a full enduro in terms of cost and maintenance needs. And deeply uncomfortable on the road, in my experience. Lovely off-road, but total overkill for gentle green-laning.
    Last edited by Longblackcoat; 16th November 2022 at 16:59.

Quote Originally Posted by Gyp View Post
    When you want to wear something green when riding and struggle to buy a Kermit

Fab!

Picked this up yesterday! Loved the 2 hr ride home despite it being freezing, dark and wet. The cornering LEDs are a revelation, as is the supercharger

Picked this up yesterday! Loved the 2 hr ride home despite it being freezing, dark and wet. The cornering LEDs are a revelation, as is the supercharger
    They are rather good, aren't they.

My boss has one and uses it as a daily.

Master
    Somewhat off topic:
    I’ve got a load of old motorcycle gear (jackets, boots, gloves etc) men’s and women’s that I need to get rid of. All very much in decent usable and safe condition.

Do charity shops take that sort of thing (I know they don’t take helmets, but what about protective clothing?)

Or is there a specific charity that might be interested?

That is an impressive machine.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by MadeOfCheese View Post
    Somewhat off topic:
    I’ve got a load of old motorcycle gear (jackets, boots, gloves etc) men’s and women’s that I need to get rid of. All very much in decent usable and safe condition.

Do charity shops take that sort of thing (I know they don’t take helmets, but what about protective clothing?)

Or is there a specific charity that might be interested?
    Hi Chap, just re the Helmets, your local Fire Brigade station may be interested in those for training purposes, and I have seen bike gear in Charity Shops (rarely though!) Cheers, John B4

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnB4 View Post
    Hi Chap, just re the Helmets, your local Fire Brigade station may be interested in those for training purposes, and I have seen bike gear in Charity Shops (rarely though!) Cheers, John B4
    Thanks John!

Another new biker joins the ranks, having passed my category A mod 2 today.

Now the fun starts, and choosing a first bike begins !!

Cheers all,

Foggy

Quote Originally Posted by Foggy View Post
    Another new biker joins the ranks, having passed my category A mod 2 today.

Now the fun starts, and choosing a first bike begins !!

Cheers all,

Foggy
    Congratulations! How did you find it, and was it your first attempt?

Master
    Well done. Exciting times !

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Congratulations! How did you find it, and was it your first attempt?
    Thanks. Did a weeks DAS course in September, which was my first time on a bike of any sort in 35 years. I’d briefly has a 125cc when I was seventeen.

Was supposed to take mod 1 & 2 at the end of that training week, but due to examiner sickness, they could only fit in mod 1, which I passed first go. Had to go back after a few weeks to do mod 2, but was a bit rusty, and failed for speeding (missed a 40 sign, so was doing 50+ - hands up, 100% my fault).

Went back today, as I was training with BMW at Royston, which is a two and a half hour trek each way, so a long day.

Passed though, so all good.

Cheers

Foggy

Well done Foggy, old dogs, new tricks etc.

Well done Foggy. Look forward to meeting up if you ever venture down south! What are you looking at getting now you've passed?

Quote Originally Posted by manganr View Post
    Well done Foggy. Look forward to meeting up if you ever venture down south! What are you looking at getting now you've passed?
    I’m already down south (West Sussex) so definitely. Not made a bike choice yet, but hope to do that before spring.

Cheers,

Foggy

Congratulations Foggy and welcome to biking!

Congratulations Foggy.

For obvious reasons I believe this should be your first bike:

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/bike-de...02210060482527

'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    Congratulations Foggy.

For obvious reasons I believe this should be your first bike:

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/bike-de...02210060482527

Bloody hell, I sold mine for six grand years ago and could have bought an original 94 strata for £2500 in 2008!

But yes, foggy should be on a Ducati.

The 916 was a fabulous bike, fabulously pretty.

Went to Motorcycle live today.

Sat on lots of bikes.

Didn't buy anything.

Discovered that the Super Cub 110 isn't imported into the UK so wasn't able to take the desired watch/bike combo photo.

Thought motorcycle live was great for seeing the bikes this year but not great for picking up gear. Did buy a new helmet though

Thought motorcycle live was great for seeing the bikes this year but not great for picking up gear. Did buy a new helmet though
    Indeed.

It's great to have all the bikes together to confirm that I'm too old and inflexible to ride most of them in one go rather than having to troop round all the dealers to confirm the same.

And on the Indoor Adventure Experience experience, I discovered that I never want to ride a Honda CRF1100L Africa Twin DCT on the dirt again. On the road, maybe, but not on the dirt.

Yeah my sports bike days are well over! I’ve bought bar risers and going to get the seat raised for the H2 SX as my wrists and knees can only manage 90 mins

I was there today too. Bought a reinforced hoodie to look like a yob on the xjr.

I was surprised at just how many small electric bikes were there and just how expensive the new Dot 650s are considering they are a Kawasaki engine in what looks like a CCM frame!

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    The 916 was a fabulous bike, fabulously pretty.
    Had a 996 few years back. Stunning bike, learnt more than I expected, and I felt like it wanted to kill me.

Most challenging yet rewarding bike I ever rode, but you really needed to be the size of Foggy in reality to ride it in my opinion.

Well… Yes

Quote Originally Posted by Chinnock View Post
    Had a 996 few years back. Stunning bike, learnt more than I expected, and I felt like it wanted to kill me.

Most challenging yet rewarding bike I ever rode, but you really needed to be the size of Foggy in reality to ride it in my opinion.
    Are there any bikes where you need to be the size of a Giant Haystacks Warwick Davis cross to ride?

Asking for a friend...

Any recommendations for a few day's riding in Tenerife?

I'm piggybacking on a friend's holiday but in the daytime I'll basically be on my own with a rented motorbike for three days.
    I'm staying at the very south of the island but happy to ride all day - go somewhere nice for lunch and then ride back.