closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 180 of 357 FirstFirst ... 80130170178179180181182190230280 ... LastLast
Results 8,951 to 9,000 of 17824

Thread: More bike related stuff

Need some advice on motorbike comms. There are so many out there it’s confusing and I am not looking for any systems that have two way comms, answering phone or talking to pillions as I don’t allow them on the bike. All of these are a distraction.

I am just looking for a system that can connect to my phone for directions and maybe music if a very long journey.

Any recommendations would be great.

- - - Updated - - -

Need some advice on motorbike comms. There are so many out there it’s confusing and I am not looking for any systems that have two way comms, answering phone or talking to pillions as I don’t allow them on the bike. All of these are a distraction.

I am just looking for a system that can connect to my phone for directions and maybe music if a very long journey.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Cavham View Post
    Same here, needed to get a pint of milk, took me 50 minutes.

Everyone talk about mental health, mine is riding the bike, I forget every worry I have and enjoy myself. Come on 8 March I am going for a blast
    As far as I understand things, the “stay at home” order will remain in place until at least 29th March. So, unfortunately, 8th March will have the same rules as today - in England.

Same here, needed to get a pint of milk, took me 50 minutes.

Everyone talk about mental health, mine is riding the bike, I forget every worry I have and enjoy myself. Come on 8 March I am going for a blast
    You are very unlikely to develop a serious mood or psychotic illness from being deprived of riding your bike. The same applies to me being deprived of my own outlet of going for a drink or meal out with friends.

If you want to go out for a ride, then fine. Just don’t kid yourself that you are doing it on the basis of anything other than flouting the current (draconian, in my mind) laws.

As someone else has pointed out, come the 8th of March the schools reopen and that is it until the end of the month.

- - - Updated - - -

Sena every time. Not cheap but high quality and very reliable.

Quote Originally Posted by j0hnbarker View Post
    You are very unlikely to develop a serious mood or psychotic illness from being deprived of riding your bike. The same applies to me being deprived of my own outlet of going for a drink or meal out with friends.

If you want to go out for a ride, then fine. Just don’t kid yourself that you are doing it on the basis of anything other than flouting the current (draconian, in my mind) laws.

As someone else has pointed out, come the 8th of March the schools reopen and that is it until the end of the month.
    Absolutely correct.

I do despair at those guys I know finding excuses to take the bike out when it is not necessary - I generally don't bother saying anything because the predictable cries of "Covid police" (or worse) would soon follow.

One of my bikes needs to go to the dealership in a week and I could take the opportunity to ride it there and back, but I asked and the dealer is doing collect and return during the pandemic, at least for now...so I'm not riding it.

Well maybe all the comms are confusing, 8 or end of March so be it. But for me one blast, no contact with anyone. We have lived lockdown for a year and if a 30 min blast helps my head space than a run so be it.

Well maybe all the comms are confusing, 8 or end of March so be it. But for me one blast, no contact with anyone. We have lived lockdown for a year and if a 30 min blast helps my head space than a run so be it.
    pretty much the same way i look at it, after all if it didnt have an engine it would be 'fine' as its classed as excercise - ive seen plently of cyclists about rding 2 abreast and yapping at one another from a few feet away while doing so.

Quote Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
    It’s a 60 degree V 
    Yeah...can't help but feel they should have gone to Rotax for their motor.
    The Aprilia sourced Rotax 60deg was amazing in its day.
    I think the Buell/Rotax link would have kinda stuck in their throat...

Quote Originally Posted by higham5 View Post
    According to todays MCN its a “ split crank pin” , this gives a 30 degree split on a 60 degree V which results in a 90 degree firing order.

Hope you understand that because I dont. Apparently this firing order gives better traction and a more pleasant sound.
    Sadly I do.

Does seem slightly over complicated, but I'm sure they've worked it all out.

Then again, if they can use a split crank pin to make a 60 degree twin work like a 90, then why not make it work like a 45 degree for that authentic Harley feel?

ignore - bizarrely I read the thread and somehow missed the fact that everything I posted had already been said.
    Last edited by MakeColdplayHistory; 26th February 2021 at 23:35.

Quote Originally Posted by MakeColdplayHistory View Post
    ignore - bizarrely I read the thread and somehow missed the fact that everything I posted had already been said.
    That rarely stops any of us...

Master

I’ve got a couple of Sena Parani M10 units. Wanted 1 for music/phone/navigation mainly, but as you can pick them up for about 50 quid I decided to get another one for the odd occasion that the wife is hanging on, just to make communication a bit easier.

Quote Originally Posted by gorrie View Post
    I’ve got a couple of Sena Parani M10 units. Wanted 1 for music/phone/navigation mainly, but as you can pick them up for about 50 quid I decided to get another one for the odd occasion that the wife is hanging on, just to make communication a bit easier.
    How are they for comms between bikes? I've just been using earbuds for music, nav myself and don't miss the phone side of things on the bike but once Mrs MCH does her CBT and inherits the mighty YBR125 it might be a good (or very bad) idea for us to be able to speak to each other.

I'm not looking for the best set up, just something cheap that will do the job.

Quote Originally Posted by gorrie View Post
    I think it is coming down to either sena or freecom now. I will also have a look. Thank you

Master
    How are they for comms between bikes? I've just been using earbuds for music, nav myself and don't miss the phone side of things on the bike but once Mrs MCH does her CBT and inherits the mighty YBR125 it might be a good (or very bad) idea for us to be able to speak to each other.

Couldn’t say I’m afraid, only ever used with pillion. That being said, the technical blurb says the range is up to half a mile for intercom, so I guess they’d be ok.
    Point to note... the M10 can only be used with other M10 users, so you can’t get a different Sena model for yourself and then add an M10 for the wife later.

Andy

Master

They just use bluetooth, Sena are not bad for the price. The range is dependent on a lot of things, but I never find it an issue. The new senas can use your phones data connection to get longer distance. Some can be stupidly expensive though.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master

I have a sena smh 10 paired with my mates smh 10. On the road comms are good for about 800 m or line of sight. Sometimes is longer eg motorways others shorter. When we rode off road it was more sketchy as the terrain got in the way. The units connect and disconnect seamlessly. So you dont need to do anything if the signal drops out.

You might be able to pick up a pair of headsets (which had been bought as a set) of Scala G4, G9 etc - off a bike forum for a decent price.

I'm a fan of Scala and have used G4 units for 10yrs with pals on holidays, and have had no issues. Good connectivity, range and battery life.

You can either drive the supplied speakers through earplugs or do as we did, and install a 3.5mm socket in their place (secured to the mic boom) and used normal stereo ear-buds.

Only caveat with doing that -is that the aerial for the FM radio is in the speaker cable, so you lose that function (no loss in reality).

For a set to test the water - I would recommend G4/G9s bought second-hand.

Master
    Good lord. Simply the best way to get the milk and eggs today!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Spent the day working on the house Yesterday so didn't get a chance to get out earlier.
    Managed to get 15 mins just before dark to fuel up and spray the bike off.

Hopefully get out Today for some milk and essentials.

Despite the recent improvement in the weather I have been sticking to the rules and 'being good'.......but roll on the 29th March!!!

I so need to get out for a ride even if its just for the sake of my wallet.........all this staying in and thinking about bikes just ends up with yet another piece of bling or trinket winging its way through the post!

Quote Originally Posted by skmark View Post
    Despite the recent improvement in the weather I have been sticking to the rules and 'being good'.......but roll on the 29th March!!!

I so need to get out for a ride even if its just for the sake of my wallet.........all this staying in and thinking about bikes just ends up with yet another piece of bling or trinket winging its way through the post!
    Same - I keep looking at old bikes of my youth and, if I don't get out soon I might have to start putting stuff in my old man's garage!

Craftsman
    My route to work has increased from the 35km direct route to 65km over the mountains to Dublin route. Freezing fog at Sally Gap yesterday not so much fun but ha ho was on the bike.

Master

Cool New Cafe Racer...

Are you planning some ambitious new mods Tony ????

Check out the guys other vids....he's the 'real deal' not just a wannabe.

Quote Originally Posted by skmark View Post

Are you planning some ambitious new mods Tony ????

Check out the guys other vids....he's the 'real deal' not just a wannabe.
    I'm scared to even look at it.

Incoming tomorrow guys and it’s not a Kawasaki.

The Aprilia will be leaving though so there’s a tinge of sadness!
    I

Anyone got any tips on cleaning spokes? The ones on my back wheel are pretty manky. I'm hoping it's stuff stuff to the spokes not corrosion of the spokes themselves.
    Other than autosol on a long thin rag pulled back and forth (like I used to do years ago)?

Anyone got any tips on cleaning spokes? The ones on my back wheel are pretty manky. I'm hoping it's stuff stuff to the spokes not corrosion of the spokes themselves.
    Other than autosol on a long thin rag pulled back and forth (like I used to do years ago)?
    I would use paraffin with a brush (nail and tooth brushes are good) and a cloth to get the worst off then finish up with your preferred cleaner and polish.

Quote Originally Posted by Stanford View Post
    I would use paraffin with a brush (nail and tooth brushes are good) and a cloth to get the worst off then finish up with your preferred cleaner and polish.
    Thanks - funnily enough I've just had a quick look in the bathroom and checked on whether any of the kids' toothbrushes are nearing replacement.

(Actually the head on my electric one needs replacing so I can see a labour-saving opportunity here)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    Incoming tomorrow guys and it’s not a Kawasaki.

The Aprilia will be leaving though so there’s a tinge of sadness!
    I
    And the incoming is...................Vespa PX 200 Indian built? ;)

And the incoming is...................Vespa PX 200 Indian built? ;)
    Not quite!

Quote Originally Posted by spareparts View Post
    Good lord. Simply the best way to get the milk and eggs today!

That Sir is a fine looking lady, ceramic coated pipes?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    Not quite!

My Pal had an XJR in speedblock yellow. When I rode it I wondered why it had so many gears, with so much torque it pulled like a train in any gear at any speed. He has about 7 or 8 bikes mainly BM’s and KTM’s and is always flipping/ upgrading, but he has kept the Yam for the last 10/ 15 years and it doesnt seem to be going anywhere.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Oysterman View Post
    That Sir is a fine looking lady, ceramic coated pipes?
    Yes - inside and out, with a custom carbon inner heatshield and extra lambda sensor port on the 70mm pipes (which normally does not have it). Really helps keep temps managed as the bike runs higher comp pistals at 14.1:1. The sensor port was installed purely to allow reliable cylinder remapping using gases at the right length along the manifold on both pipes.

Bit of a long shot, but does anyone regularly take MCN?

Apparently there was an extensive article on Norton a couple of weeks ago which my son would like to read.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Gyp View Post
    Bit of a long shot, but does anyone regularly take MCN?

Apparently there was an extensive article on Norton a couple of weeks ago which my son would like to read.
    Hi Gyp I do if you pm me your email addy and which article I will scan and email

Steve

Hi Gyp I do if you pm me your email addy and which article I will scan and email

Steve
    Done!

New update from gov today, CBT and bike training can restart on the 29th. Will be phoning the training centre first thing in the morning.

Sent from my Nokia 8.3 5G using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by chris2982 View Post
    New update from gov today, CBT and bike training can restart on the 29th. Will be phoning the training centre first thing in the morning.

Just spoke to the training centre,. CBT now booked for opening day, 29th march. Will sit down with them after and see what test dates and lessons are available.
    That is of course if I pass my CBT.

Chris.

New taller screen and headlight protector fitted.

Chris.

Master
    Looks like a nice 310 GS there :)

Master
    Baffles me why BMW fit those tiny screens on bikes. I had the same on my F750GS. Neither use nor ornament, as my old dad would have said.

Quote Originally Posted by downer View Post
    Baffles me why BMW fit those tiny screens on bikes. I had the same on my F750GS. Neither use nor ornament, as my old dad would have said.
    It's so they can get you to spend £150 more with them buying a larger screen

Master
    Anyone else see the new Triumph Rocket Triple Black today ?

Tempted ?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by joe narvey View Post
    Anyone else see the new Triumph Rocket Triple Black today ?

Tempted ?
    Yep

No

I did mention it to the wife, but she replied with a look that said don’t push it sunshine..

Still only got 1400 miles on my current one, and new exhaust sitting on the bench..

Last edited by Enoch; 9th March 2021 at 18:02.

Had a ride on this magnificent beast today as I had some errands to run. What a bike it is - it would be hard to articulate the joy of being out on it, too.

Craftsman

20 Years Old

Picked up my BMW R1150GS (full title!) from Sawbridgeworth 20 years ago today (it was raining then too) Been all over the place, seen lots of things, met lots of people so priceless to me. As it's her 'birthday' treated her to a new battery to get her going, new brake pads to stop her gradual decline and a positive terminal in case she needs a 'jump' in the future. Looking forward to the next 20 years but I think she'll outlive me......Cheers John B4
    p.s.can't do pics on here but some on UKGSER (oilheads section)

Quote Originally Posted by JohnB4 View Post
    Picked up my BMW R1150GS (full title!) from Sawbridgeworth 20 years ago today (it was raining then too) Been all over the place, seen lots of things, met lots of people so priceless to me. As it's her 'birthday' treated her to a new battery to get her going, new brake pads to stop her gradual decline and a positive terminal in case she needs a 'jump' in the future. Looking forward to the next 20 years but I think she'll outlive me......Cheers John B4
    p.s.can't do pics on here but some on UKGSER (oilheads section)

Last edited by Gyp; 10th March 2021 at 11:24.

Craftsman
    Thanks Chap! much appreciated. Cheers, John B4