closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: What happened to Nitromors

What happened to Nitromors

It's absolutely useless Now, any suggestions for a paint stripper that works would be appreciated.

It used to be that if you splashed it on the back of your hand you knew all about it, I reckon you could bath in this stuff and not feel it
    Last edited by adrianw; Yesterday at 17:14.

Craftsman
    They took all the good stuff out of it a number of years ago thanks to health and safety. I have tried a few other brands but all hopeless. For smaller articles wrapping them tightly in a plastic bag keeps the fumes in and improves the performance.

Quote Originally Posted by jonah View Post
    They took all the good stuff out of it a number of years ago thanks to health and safety. I have tried a few other brands but all hopeless. For smaller articles wrapping them tightly in a plastic bag keeps the fumes in and improves the performance.
    Unfortunately this is a big cam cover, I left it for two hours and it hasn't even touched it, I know it's just aerosol paint because I sprayed it a few years back

Starchem synstrip is very good if you can get it.

Would you like a jar of Uncle Alec's Chili Relish?

EU banned methylene chloride - key ingredient of the old version.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Time to get out the wire wool and apply some elbow grease

Paint Stripper

Have a look on YouTube as I seem to remember Roger Bisby of Skill builders did a test on this.
    Fifa

Master
    Proper creosote went the same way as Nitromors. Now there's some wishy-washy alternative which has the same sticking power as watered down soy sauce.

Master
    Blog Entries
    As an apprentice 48 years ago the stripping of Shellac’s and old varnish surfaces was a job you did. I remember back then if you got some little flicks off the brush on to your bare skin it was hell. At the end of the day you looked like you had measles. As said it would not strip the skin of a rice pudding now. All to do with H&S changes back in 2008 I remember it well all my COSHE Assessments had to be changed for the Risk and Method Statements.

I found something pretty effective on aluminium castings, the Dirtkiller attachment on my pressure washer, it just eats paint, obviously there are a lot of things you mustn't point it at.

Vapour-blasting seems to be the new method, and you can find several people offering the service on a kind of 'paying hobby' status.

Have a search on Facebook Marketplace. I doubt you'd have to travel more then 50miles.

Not a lot of money and leaves the castings/components ready for a wipe down with acetone and painting/laquering.

Master
    Similar experience with Jeye's Fluid. Used to be a great mosskiller, even in very low concentrations.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    EU banned methylene chloride - key ingredient of the old version.
    Yup Chris is correct, we used to use meth c to remove resin from molds. With the new “ dumbed down” paint strippers you use more, need more local extraction and the job took three times as long, progress eh?

Quote Originally Posted by Filterlab View Post
    Proper creosote went the same way as Nitromors. Now there's some wishy-washy alternative which has the same sticking power as watered down soy sauce.
    Yes indeed.

The old creosote penetrated and protected the wood.

Today's stuff in not much better than emulsion that simply lies on the surface and gets virtually washed away after a season.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil.C View Post
    Yes indeed.

The old creosote penetrated and protected the wood.

Today's stuff in not much better than emulsion that simply lies on the surface and gets virtually washed away after a season.
    I mixed 50-50 new creosote and used engine oil.

Seems to almost be like the original stuff...albeit not as environmental.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Filterlab View Post
    Yes it's called creocote now I think. I bought some years ago and added my old engine oil from my oil change. Just don't smoke next to my fence please.

Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    Vapour-blasting seems to be the new method, and you can find several people offering the service on a kind of 'paying hobby' status.

Have a search on Facebook Marketplace. I doubt you'd have to travel more then 50miles.

Not a lot of money and leaves the castings/components ready for a wipe down with acetone and painting/laquering.
    Unfortunately there are too many oil seals and carriers to risk vapour blasting

Master
    Add Round Up to the list of “used to be good, now rubbish”

Craftsman
    Creosote is still available from agricultural suppliers .
    I was given the tip by an employee as it’s used in/on chicken buildings as it prevents “ chicken mite “ .
    The only draw back is it’s in 25 litre containers , however my friends all have creosote treated sheds and fences .

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by demonloop View Post
    Add Round Up to the list of “used to be good, now rubbish”
    Still available on eBay, top strength too.