closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 208 of 354 FirstFirst ... 108158198206207208209210218258308 ... LastLast
Results 10,351 to 10,400 of 17667

Thread: More bike related stuff

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by gorrie View Post
    I discovered last night that being in the outside lane of dual carriageway, overtaking while simultaneously encountering an engine shut down is not a nice experience.
    Managed to coast and navigate safely to the hard shoulder thankfully.

Was on my Speedmaster 865. Managed to coax her back to life after a 30min rest, but she died again 5 minutes later.

Decided to head for home but not before another 3 cycles of it dying and needing 30mins between.

Put my OBD reader on it when I got home and seems to be an issue with the Cranshaft Position Sensor. Currently waiting a reply from my local Triumph parts dept about availability. I need to change the front sprocket anyway plus a couple of other jobs here and there, so think I’ll maybe buzz about on my Bonnie for now and sort the Speedmaster when the weather turns for the worse.
    Had this on a Vauxhall once, cracking along in lane 3 making good pace when every light on the dashboard came on and all power from the engine ceased. Getting across 3 lanes of traffic without power is not fun. In my case it was a faulty plate in the battery, which stopped all power!

Were your riding trousers washable ?

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    I was not trying to change your mind at all, just to highlight the possibility of a few free rides discovering other bikes. A bit like walking into a multi brand AD and trying a few on before the ones you really want.
    This was interesting.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by higham5 View Post
    Were your riding trousers washable ?
    I was on my way to football training, so had my full training gear on under the Kevlar jeans. So the training kit bore the brunt of any adrenaline escaping !
    Down side, it was 24C… and I had to push the bike to safety a couple of times at busy junctions… which wasn’t pleasant when being all layered up.

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    I'd agree with you, Marc, save that I already know that the Africa Twin is far too big; and the Triumph beats the GS in terms of size, weight and price (although not performance, admittedly). Don't forget, too, that there are plenty of bikers on here who just go from one BMW to another because they like the marque. Me having a fondness for Triumph is no different and - as I've indicated - there are actually some very tangible advantages.
    Have you thought about the Ducati Multistrada, you can get lower seats if needed, I got one last week and honestly it’s amazing to ride tbh…

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Gyp View Post
    A house down the road with an awkward drive entrance has a car sized one that seems to work well enough so a bike sized one shouldn't be a problem
    Wow, first time I've heard of one for a car!

Quote Originally Posted by kildareman View Post
    I made a turn table as otherwise I have a 13 point turn to 180 the tiger. Bought a 400kg lazy Susan bearing and bolted some marine ply to it. Only works if you have a centre stand. Bearing was about €13 10 years ago
    Ha love it. Always like to hear of people's diy solutions.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Master
    Just me or is anyone else bemused by this?

Triumph announce plans to take on the MX and Enduro World Championships.

Seems strange for a company who have never fielded a factory team to suddenly decide to have a go, and then doing it in a disicipline about as far removed from any of their current line up.

I wonder if RC has told them a 1200cc parallel twin isn't going to work yet?

Quote Originally Posted by Martylaa View Post
    Have you thought about the Ducati Multistrada, you can get lower seats if needed, I got one last week and honestly it’s amazing to ride tbh…
    Funnily enough, I've been pondering whether to pop up to On Yer Bike in Aylesbury to swing a leg over the Multistrada, once I've tested the Tiger on Saturday. It's a lovely bike and a better size for me than the GS, but it's not cheap spec'd up in the 950S guise, servicing is expensive and I'm not sure whether it'll be a good fit with the low seat on (which I would definitely need).

Probably well worth a look, though, because it's a bloody lovely bike.
    Last edited by learningtofly; 21st July 2021 at 06:24.

Nice “big adventure” bike on-road (ie how 99.9% of us use them) test in Bike this issue.

Harley vs Multi V4 vs GS vs KTM SAS vs Africa Twin.

They liked the Multistrada best and gave it a 10/10.

Quote Originally Posted by Plake View Post
    Nice “big adventure” bike on-road (ie how 99.9% of us use them) test in Bike this issue.

Harley vs Multi V4 vs GS vs KTM SAS vs Africa Twin.

They liked the Multistrada best and gave it a 10/10.
    Thanks - is the review online anywhere (I can't find it)?

Unfortunately if you look at enough tests then you can find the one you really want comes out on top. I kept looking until I found the one that said the GS was best even though the KTM came top mostly. The Multistrada did seem to constantly win the best 'road' adventure bike though. It had the smoothest engine and gearbox. My GS engine feels like a tractor and the gears are a bit tractor like too but I still love it.

Thanks - is the review online anywhere (I can't find it)?
    It’s in the “Sept 2021” Bike 50th anniversary special edition which arrived yesterday. I think you can access it on the Bike magazine app - but you have to be a subscriber. Not that helpful, sorry!

It’s in the “Sept 2021” Bike 50th anniversary special edition which arrived yesterday. I think you can access it on the Bike magazine app - but you have to be a subscriber. Not that helpful, sorry!
    No, very helpful. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by manganr View Post
    Unfortunately if you look at enough tests then you can find the one you really want comes out on top. I kept looking until I found the one that said the GS was best even though the KTM came top mostly. The Multistrada did seem to constantly win the best 'road' adventure bike though. It had the smoothest engine and gearbox. My GS engine feels like a tractor and the gears are a bit tractor like too but I still love it.
    Yeah, agreed. It was one of those tests where they’re all felt to be exceptionally good and there is a degree of hair splitting. I’d imagine the V4 Multi will be voted bike of the year from what I’m reading though.

Blog Entries
    After over 30 years my wife is finally and unfortunately giving up long distance touring around Europe (upside is she will now fly to airport , Nice and I pick her up from there!,) so I get to play on my own for a few days) For the last 11 years I have always had Multistrada’s A because they are superb bikes and never let me down,B that engine!!!!!!!!(currently on a 1260) and C the comfort and riding position suited my wife perfectly

So I am going to be taking this opportunity to finally have a change from the adventure style and get something a bit more sporty, thought about it and decided to stay with a twin, 4 cylinders leave me a bit cold now after a big twin all these years, just love the torque but it also limits me, not after GS !!! or a Harley so narrowed my choice down to an R1250RS or a SuperDuke GT, case of follow my head or heart

In the meantime, I am going to be putting my superb 1260 up for sale soon, bought in 2019 it only has 3200 miles due to the lockdown, (would normally have around 10k by now) comes loaded with extras, rad guard, Garmin 595 wired in sat nav mount, touring pack (panniers, heated grips, centre stand, base to accept givi top box rack, professionally fitted Vultura graphics kit fitted (got fed up of just red colour as I’ve had all the versions since they can out in 2010) Ducabike water pump guard, Ducati Alarm system, givi tank lock ring and bag, quick shifter and blipper, NEW roadtec 01SE tyres etc etc etc, this is the manual suspension version as being old school I prefer it to the skyhook, been there had one and didn’t like it . Will post some pictures if anyone is interested, just testing the water!
    Last edited by Frankie169; 21st July 2021 at 07:35.

More bike related stuff

Really enjoying riding this, the colour scheme was the reason I bought this one, never been a massive fan of red which for a Ducati sort of limits you slightly haha…

And maybe next year I’ll be getting one of these as well…

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Martylaa; 21st July 2021 at 07:47.

Master
    @Tony - this is worth a watch...

No, very helpful. Thank you.
    Check your WhatsApp Tony

More bike related stuff

And maybe next year I’ll be getting one of these as well…

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Now that’s a proper retro!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    Now that’s a proper retro!

Im out riding with a die hard Enfield fan today. He will be on his interceptor aptly named “ Jensen”

I have yet to read a bad review! Everyone raves about them, the single consensus is junk the std pipes ( something like 12 kgs) which contains the cats, and replace with an aftermarket pipe.

Power wise a mahoosive drop from the Duc though.

Im out riding with a die hard Enfield fan today. He will be on his interceptor aptly named “ Jensen”

I have yet to read a bad review! Everyone raves about them, the single consensus is junk the std pipes ( something like 12 kgs) which contains the cats, and replace with an aftermarket pipe.

Oh I don’t ride fast, I bought the Duc for touring and comfort but for a ride out for a few hours I really like the look of the RE, same as you I’ve yet to read a bad review and totally agree about those pipes, that would be the only thing I’d change.

Hopefully a good friend is getting one next month so I can try his out…

This was interesting.
    So... unless you carry a pillion passenger...
    If you like a spirited ride, buy the Triumph.
    If you like adjusting your display on bumpy, twisty roads, buy the BMW.

After that it depends on how far you're going to carry a passenger on your pillion.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt8500 View Post
    Check your WhatsApp Tony
    Star!!!

I’ve an XJR1300 at the moment; it’s a big, heavy beast with a little over 100bhp on tap. The thing is I can really enjoy it at non licence threatening speeds. Not that I always do mind, it will still hustle along if I’m in the mood.

Quote Originally Posted by downer View Post
    @Tony - this is worth a watch...

Thanks for that. Smaller, lighter, lower seat and better bottom end... it's all still pointing at the triumph at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by Dynam0humm View Post
    Just me or is anyone else bemused by this?

Triumph announce plans to take on the MX and Enduro World Championships.

Seems strange for a company who have never fielded a factory team to suddenly decide to have a go, and then doing it in a disicipline about as far removed from any of their current line up.

I wonder if RC has told them a 1200cc parallel twin isn't going to work yet?
    Given the state of British roads I think they've had plenty of preparation!

Master
    Thanks for that. Smaller, lighter, lower seat and better bottom end... it's all still pointing at the triumph at the moment.
    I got more exciting, better noise, grip and weather protection... it's all still pointing at the Multi...

In the end, the only bad decision would be to not buy the want you want. Therefore, Triumph.

I got more exciting, better noise, grip and weather protection... it's all still pointing at the Multi...

In the end, the only bad decision would be to not buy the want you want. Therefore, Triumph.
    LOLZ!

I got back, yesterday, from a two week break on the GS; first tour for a week in the Lake District, Yorkshire Moors and Dales (via the Peak District and Cat and Fiddle, Snake Pass etc.) then onto Inverness for a weeklong bimble around the Highlands.
    The GS performed flawlessly and wasn't the lump I feared it might be on the likes of Hardknott and Bealach na Ba (the latter made all the more difficult by dense cloud from half-way up)...and the signs have been moved, presumably to make it more difficult for people to cover them in stickers.
    As usual I didn't get many decent snaps, but here are a few (not in any particular order).

Last edited by Stanford; 21st July 2021 at 15:21.

Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    https://www.instantstreetview.com/@5...V3ta_Agn95qVQA

Not that uncommon in car parks, particularly those in basements where space is at a premium. I used to use one to park up many moons agon, in fact - down the ramp, turntable at the bottom, quick spin and away you go.

Quote Originally Posted by Stanford View Post
    I got back, yesterday, from a two week break on the GS; first tour for a week in the Lake District, Yorkshire Moors and Dales (via the Peak District and Cat and Fiddle, Snake Pass etc.) then onto Inverness for a weeklong bimble around the Highlands.
    The GS performed flawlessly and wasn't the lump I feared it might be on the likes of Hardknott and Bealach na Ba (the latter made all the more difficult by dense cloud from half-way up)...and the signs have been moved, presumably to make it more difficult for people to cover them in stickers.
    As usual I didn't get many decent snaps, but here are a few (not in any particular order).

That sounds like a brilliant tour! With mates?

Master
    Oh I don’t ride fast, I bought the Duc for touring and comfort but for a ride out for a few hours I really like the look of the RE, same as you I’ve yet to read a bad review and totally agree about those pipes, that would be the only thing I’d change.

Marty I asked about the pipes today. They are Norman Hyde slip ons, the Enfield cars are in the silencers. Other tasteful mods were rubber fork gaiters and a small screen. Compare that to what people throw at at a GS or Multistrada!

Blog Entries
    You wouldn't know what it was to look at it!

Blog Entries

My advice is take one for a test ride. You may be pleasantly surprised.

That sounds like a brilliant tour! With mates?
    The first tour was with Rapid Training and with guys I hadn't met previously - this one involved moving base all but one night where we spent two nights.
    The second tour was with Haggis Tours and mostly with guys I had been on tour with before - this one was based in Inverness so luggage could be off-loaded.

2900 miles covered over 14 days including one day up to Wetherby and two days back from Inverness so, apart from the return journey, neither tour involved massive mileages every day (between 130 and 230), but some quite technical (as well as fast) rides.
    Last edited by Stanford; 21st July 2021 at 20:17.

Marty I asked about the pipes today. They are Norman Hyde slip ons, the Enfield cars are in the silencers. Other tasteful mods were rubber fork gaiters and a small screen. Compare that to what people throw at at a GS or Multistrada!
    I have a Multistrada haha...

My advice is take one for a test ride. You may be pleasantly surprised.

Very nice and looks so cool, once my mate gets one and i bribe him to give me a go then this year or next there may be another two wheels parked up in the garage, this bike has to be pound for pound the best value bike out there if all the reviews are correct...

Blog Entries
    Very nice and looks so cool, once my mate gets one and i bribe him to give me a go then this year or next there may be another two wheels parked up in the garage, this bike has to be pound for pound the best value bike out there if all the reviews are correct...
    They're fine if you want to bimble around and do represent great value for money. It reminds me of the old British twins, with similar power output to a late 60s early 70s Bonnie.

Quote Originally Posted by Stanford View Post
    I got back, yesterday, from a two week break on the GS...via the Peak District and Cat and Fiddle...

You should have called in for a brew. I'm about 5 miles down the road.

(and you picked the right week for it - Cheshire East CC covered their part of the road in loose chippings on Friday)

Journeyman
    Just thought I’d give an update as I asked you guys a while ago on where to go for beginner training. I hope it might help anyone else getting into riding and save them scrolling up through thousands of posts to get back to Tony’s original journey!

Ended going with my original thought of the bmw rookie to rider scheme. Training finally went ahead with the BMW rider school in Royston. I cannot recommend them highly enough, lovely set of guys and gals up there who take you through at a pace your comfortable and give great individual feedback.

The first part of the 7-day course is the cbt which they do on the bmw g310r. Single cylinder bike that’s nice and light for you to get used to riding round a car park and take first steps on the road. The guy with me had been riding a KTM Duke 125 around London for a year or so and found it was a sufficient step up from that to be a worthwhile use of a couple of days.

The next days of the training were on f750gs bikes. Given the recent stretch about adv bikes, thought I’d just mention that they seemed perfectly capable bikes (from my novice point of view), nice and docile at low revs but started to take off when you get up through the revs. Comfy and easy to ride.

First we were back in the car park to do the mod1 practice with lots of cones, the guys had great tips for making it easy and after a day or so we both got the hang of doing all the manoeuvres without dragging the rear brake.

Next out on the roads. Gotta say that getting on the roads was mostly functional rather than fun, the instructors were very thorough and really prepare you for the test as well as being safe on the roads, but you don’t end up doing many fun turns…

So I passed both mod 1 and mod 2, which was great, and now thinking of actually getting a bike, which is proving a harder decision than first anticipated! I’m sure I’ll get there soon though! Can’t wait!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Strchr03 View Post
    Just thought I’d give an update as I asked you guys a while ago on where to go for beginner training. I hope it might help anyone else getting into riding and save them scrolling up through thousands of posts to get back to Tony’s original journey!

Ended going with my original thought of the bmw rookie to rider scheme. Training finally went ahead with the BMW rider school in Royston. I cannot recommend them highly enough, lovely set of guys and gals up there who take you through at a pace your comfortable and give great individual feedback.

The first part of the 7-day course is the cbt which they do on the bmw g310r. Single cylinder bike that’s nice and light for you to get used to riding round a car park and take first steps on the road. The guy with me had been riding a KTM Duke 125 around London for a year or so and found it was a sufficient step up from that to be a worthwhile use of a couple of days.

The next days of the training were on f750gs bikes. Given the recent stretch about adv bikes, thought I’d just mention that they seemed perfectly capable bikes (from my novice point of view), nice and docile at low revs but started to take off when you get up through the revs. Comfy and easy to ride.

First we were back in the car park to do the mod1 practice with lots of cones, the guys had great tips for making it easy and after a day or so we both got the hang of doing all the manoeuvres without dragging the rear brake.

Next out on the roads. Gotta say that getting on the roads was mostly functional rather than fun, the instructors were very thorough and really prepare you for the test as well as being safe on the roads, but you don’t end up doing many fun turns…

So I passed both mod 1 and mod 2, which was great, and now thinking of actually getting a bike, which is proving a harder decision than first anticipated! I’m sure I’ll get there soon though! Can’t wait!

Well done. I also did rookie to rider with BMW (in the north, rather than south) and found it worked very well.

Now you've passed, and once you get a bike, I highly recommend some further training - Bikesafe, ROSPA, IAM, whatever... anything that improves your safety has to be a good idea.

Journeyman
    Well done. I also did rookie to rider with BMW (in the north, rather than south) and found it worked very well.

Now you've passed, and once you get a bike, I highly recommend some further training - Bikesafe, ROSPA, IAM, whatever... anything that improves your safety has to be a good idea.
    Did you go ahead with getting the bike through the scheme? I am probably going to leave it and get a cheap second hand bike first…

Quote Originally Posted by MakeColdplayHistory View Post
    You should have called in for a brew. I'm about 5 miles down the road.

(and you picked the right week for it - Cheshire East CC covered their part of the road in loose chippings on Friday)
    I will next time

There was some road dressing going on in Scotland too, but not enough to spoil the rides - I guess it's that time of year

Up out early this morning to beat some of the heat - a great trip over the border into North Devon and back over Exmoor...

Empty roads, nature and a thumping twin. Good for the soul!

Master
    Did you go ahead with getting the bike through the scheme? I am probably going to leave it and get a cheap second hand bike first…

I did get a bike through the scheme, although I cancelled the PCP immediately and paid for the bike to avoid the interest charges. However, I then traded the bike after about 7 months, so whatever I saved in training and equipment costs I probably lost in depreciation.

I reckon the plan to get a second-hand bike is probably best - unless you are 100% sure of the style/size/brand of bike you want.

So I passed both mod 1 and mod 2, which was great, and now thinking of actually getting a bike, which is proving a harder decision than first anticipated!
    Congratulations from me as a recent joiner to the club.

More bike related stuff

I went out for a ride late evening, returning in the dark. Denali lights are mint
    Empty roads all the way to Ribblehead and back.
    A chance to give the GSA a blast with no dawdlers in the way.

Not easy to capture the big red moon. It looked 10 times the size to me.

Master
    New bike day:

So now I will begin a long-term comparison between the 950S and my R1250GS. Two bikes that appear to be similar but are actually quite different.

New bike day:

So now I will begin a long-term comparison between the 950S and my R1250GS. Two bikes that appear to be similar but are actually quite different.
    Lovely. Looking forward to hearing your thoughts for obvious reasons.

New bike day:

That is beautiful!. I imagine you'll find the engine, power delivery and gearbox in another league compared to the GS. Will be interested to hear your thoughts.