closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 278 of 362 FirstFirst ... 178228268276277278279280288328 ... LastLast
Results 13,851 to 13,900 of 18091

Thread: More bike related stuff

Might be worth a look

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    To be fair, the Thruxton has a far better suspension spec than the Speed Twin, although brakes now appear to be the same (I think there's been an upgrade to the ST spec).

It's worth saying that I rode quite a few thousand miles on my Thruxton R with not a single issue regarding comfort generally or back specifically. I acquired it aged about 60 and have a history of lower back issues, too.
    The money you save on the Speed Twin over the Thruxton you can just upgrade the suspension, I put K-tech front and back on mine for about 2k and had it professionally set up for my weight and riding style, the Speed Twin is more comfortable whichever way you dial it.

Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard View Post
    The money you save on the Speed Twin over the Thruxton you can just upgrade the suspension, I put K-tech front and back on mine for about 2k and had it professionally set up for my weight and riding style, the Speed Twin is more comfortable whichever way you dial it.
    Fair enough. I guess it just comes down to individual preferences, and opinions on which is the sexier-looking bike (both gorgeous IMO, though)

Fair enough. I guess it just comes down to individual preferences, and opinions on which is the sexier-looking bike (both gorgeous IMO, though)
    I think the Thruxton looks better but I just can't do the hunched over riding position for any length of time these days, I've modified the Speed Twin quite heavily though and am happy with it now

Master

Thumbs up Euro 5 PITA

Up to now I’ve had 2 Bobbers and 2 Speemasters. They’re basically the same bike, and run the same gearing which is pretty much pants.

There’s a thread on the bobber forum called “geared to the moon” The thread is a moan about the high gearing.

The stock gearing is 17t front and 37t rear, which gives a theoretical top speed of 144 mph. On a bike that’s electronically restricted to 112 mph. In the real world this means that top gear is only any use above 70 mph, and even then there’s very little get up and go if you wind it open.

The recognised solution is to change the sprockets to 16t front and 39t rear. This give the bike better acceleration, and makes 5th and 6th gears much more usable.

I’ve done this on all of the previous bikes. It’s a cheap mod and makes the bikes much nicer to ride..

Done the same mod on my new Speedmaster, and I get an engine management light with code P0915. Google that code and it comes up with engine speed not matching road speed.

So I contact my dealer, and they investigate for me… Bottom line Euro 5 regs make the ECU monitor speed sensors and anything outside of pre set parameters will throw an engine light.

The engine light doesn’t bother me, but because it’s on it won’t allow cruise control to activate.

Quote Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
    Up to now I’ve had 2 Bobbers and 2 Speemasters. They’re basically the same bike, and run the same gearing which is pretty much pants.

There’s a thread on the bobber forum called “geared to the moon” The thread is a moan about the high gearing.

The stock gearing is 17t front and 37t rear, which gives a theoretical top speed of 144 mph. On a bike that’s electronically restricted to 112 mph. In the real world this means that top gear is only any use above 70 mph, and even then there’s very little get up and go if you wind it open.

The recognised solution is to change the sprockets to 16t front and 39t rear. This give the bike better acceleration, and makes 5th and 6th gears much more usable.

I’ve done this on all of the previous bikes. It’s a cheap mod and makes the bikes much nicer to ride..

Done the same mod on my new Speedmaster, and I get an engine management light with code P0915. Google that code and it comes up with engine speed not matching road speed.

So I contact my dealer, and they investigate for me… Bottom line Euro 5 regs make the ECU monitor speed sensors and anything outside of pre set parameters will throw an engine light.

The engine light doesn’t bother me, but because it’s on it won’t allow cruise control to activate.
    That sounds very annoying indeed. Are you going to revert to stock configuration?

Master
    That sounds very annoying indeed. Are you going to revert to stock configuration?
    As I’ve already got the sprockets, I’m going to try 16 front and 37 rear as it’s still lower than stock, and I can also try 17f and 39r which again is a little lower than stock..

The consensus on the street triple forum (they suffer the same issue) is that there is a little tolerance in the sensors.

If non of the above works I’ll have to revert back to stock because I like using the cruise control.

The street triple guys are unhappy because a lot of them do track days and like to alter the gearing for whichever track they’re at..

I’m hoping that sooner or later there’s be a work around. The Kawasaki guys have found a way around it but unfortunately it doesn’t work on the triumphs..

As I’ve already got the sprockets, I’m going to try 16 front and 37 rear as it’s still lower than stock, and I can also try 17f and 39r which again is a little lower than stock..

The consensus on the street triple forum (they suffer the same issue) is that there is a little tolerance in the sensors.

If non of the above works I’ll have to revert back to stock because I like using the cruise control.

The street triple guys are unhappy because a lot of them do track days and like to alter the gearing for whichever track they’re at..

I’m hoping that sooner or later there’s be a work around. The Kawasaki guys have found a way around it but unfortunately it doesn’t work on the triumphs..
    Surely far less of a problem when tracking, though - you'd just need to ignore the warning light.

Master
    Surely far less of a problem when tracking, though - you'd just need to ignore the warning light.
    It’s more complicated than that.. Having the ECU light on also alters fueling. The ECU is assuming there’s a fault and forces the engine into open loop.

Master
    It’s more complicated than that.. Having the ECU light on also alters fueling. The ECU is assuming there’s a fault and forces the engine into open loop.
    When I altered the gearing ,( for the same reason on my Monkey bike) I had the ABS light come on. Since the ecu measures the speed of the output drive and compares it to the front wheel abs sensor. Whilst I enjoyed the snappier acceleration the orange ABS light being permanently on got on my wick. I reverted back to stock even though it was a backward step.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by higham5 View Post
    I reverted back to stock even though it was a backward step.
    There was a guy on the bobber forum that made different pulse wheels to fool the abs sensors into allowing higher top speed.. couldn’t see the point myself, anything over 80 isn’t a pleasure on these bikes.

Warrington, centre of the Universe and home of the Mighty Wire
    Quote Originally Posted by Cavham View Post
    Just put a despot down today on a Ducati Streetfighter V2. It was a tough choice, between V2 and the Aprilia V4, but who needs 175bhp on the road and the V2 is just gorgeous to look at. Only two weeks to go to collection.......
    Haha, done exactly the same thing with exactly the same alternative, Tuono V4Factory. I took a V2 out for half a day and knew it was right. I’ve had silly hp bikes and their performance just cant be used on the road, well, not by me anyway. Threw my RS in p/ex. Dont need/want mine till March, but got to admit having no bike in the garage is weird. Still, something to look forward to. I went for the red, what did you go for??

Stuart

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

To be fair, the Thruxton has a far better suspension spec than the Speed Twin, although brakes now appear to be the same (I think there's been an upgrade to the ST spec).

It's worth saying that I rode quite a few thousand miles on my Thruxton R with not a single issue regarding comfort generally or back specifically. I acquired it aged about 60 and have a history of lower back issues, too.
    Yeah the Speed Twin does get great reviews but for me the look just doesn't excite me like the Kawasaki SE or the Thruxton RS, there is a Thruxton RS at a dealership about 1 hour away, I think I'll head down there and see if I can have a test ride. Again I do think the seating position will be just that little too aggressive compared to the Kwak but I need to rule it out as they really are a good looking bike especially the 2020/21 grey version.

I use this site to compare riding positions and the Thruxton RS shows a 20 deg lean angle compare to a 0 deg lean angle on the Kawasaki RS.
    https://motonomics.com/simulator.php
    Last edited by Martylaa; 13th October 2022 at 03:08.

There was a guy on the bobber forum that made different pulse wheels to fool the abs sensors into allowing higher top speed.. couldn’t see the point myself, anything over 80 isn’t a pleasure on these bikes.
    Regardless of top speed, a different pulse wheel could be made to suit the lower gearing and fool the ECU to allow you to use the 16/39 ratio without throwing up a warning light.

I was considering doing something similar to the T120, I presume that will be the same. I will have to investigate further before going ahead.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Craizeehair View Post
    I was considering doing something similar to the T120, I presume that will be the same. I will have to investigate further before going ahead.
    It seems that if you go down 1 tooth on the front sprocket, it’s still within tolerance of the sensors. Done 150 miles today with this set up and no lights, so although it’s not what I’d consider the ideal gearing, it’s still better than stock..

Had a lovely ride around N Wales, it was like a summers day.😎😎

More bike related stuff

Bit of a looker, shame I won’t get time to get a test ride before I head back to work, felt a quite comfortable seating position as well…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks like pretty sporty tyres on that Thruxton.

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    Looks like pretty sporty tyres on that Thruxton.
    Hasn’t been leaned over much from vertical in 1,500 miles though…

I’m tempted…

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Craftsman

More bike related stuff

Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard View Post
    I’ve done 700 miles on my Speed Twin now and have started to find the rear suspension lacking to say the least. It’s fine at steady speeds on smooth roads but is a real weakness when you hit the bumps or start pushing the bike in the corners. I’m starting to research aftermarket shocks already.

It seems that if you go down 1 tooth on the front sprocket, it’s still within tolerance of the sensors. Done 150 miles today with this set up and no lights, so although it’s not what I’d consider the ideal gearing, it’s still better than stock..
    Thanks for that, great info.

More bike related stuff

Closest I came yesterday to having an incident on the bike, pulled out of my village and its straight onto a dual carriageway, about 2 miles down there is a exit and entry slip from the other side of the dual carriageway. So I'm doing 70mph with a car behind me when a car pulls across from the other side of the carriageway, I thought the car was just pulling into the junction in the centre of the road until we had passed then it would pull onto the dual carriageway I was on.

No, so the car pulls out from the other side and just continues to cross onto our lanes and then pulls in directly in front of me, well lets just say its the first time I've had to do an emergency brake since my test as it was only going about 40mph, how I didn't go into the back end is beyond me and only then I realised the car behind me as well had to brake sharpish to avoid going in the back of me.

Absolutely sh-t myself, eventually got past the car, a bit of arm waving from me (to say wtf) and the female driver just looked over like I was a piece of sh-t on her shoe, no apology or acknowledgement of her sh-t driving...
    Last edited by Martylaa; 15th October 2022 at 13:07.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobbyf View Post
    I’ve done 700 miles on my Speed Twin now and have started to find the rear suspension lacking to say the least. It’s fine at steady speeds on smooth roads but is a real weakness when you hit the bumps or start pushing the bike in the corners. I’m starting to research aftermarket shocks already.

The front suspension is utter garbage as well, it's well worth upgrading that too.

Craftsman

Had a lovely ride around N Wales, it was like a summers day.

Dont want to sound rude but are you sure about that ? 1 tooth dropped is a big difference , its the same basically as 3 on the rear .

Quote Originally Posted by Martylaa View Post
    Closest I came yesterday to having an incident on the bike, pulled out of my village and its straight onto a dual carriageway, about 2 miles down there is a exit and entry slip from the other side of the dual carriageway. So I'm doing 70mph with a car behind me when a car pulls across from the other side of the carriageway, I thought the car was just pulling into the junction in the centre of the road until we had passed then it would pull onto the dual carriageway I was on.

No, so the car pulls out from the other side and just continues to cross onto our lanes and then pulls in directly in front of me, well lets just say its the first time I've had to do an emergency brake since my test as it was only going about 40mph, how I didn't go into the back end is beyond me and only then I realised the car behind me as well had to brake sharpish to avoid going in the back of me.

Absolutely sh-t myself, eventually got past the car, a bit of arm waving from me (to say wtf) and the female driver just looked over like I was a piece of shit on her shoe, no apology or acknowledgement of her sh-t driving...
    Yikes, and a typical reaction from car drivers, sadly.

I’m tempted…

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    It's a thing of beauty, as well as being a wolf in sheep's clothing when it comes to performance...

By the way, before making decisions on screens/fairings bear in mind that staying naked (!) will allow the wind to relieve some of the pressure on your wrists. If you bought the bike and stayed with the clip-ons that can by quite an advantage.
    Last edited by learningtofly; 14th October 2022 at 10:12.

It's a thing of beauty, as well as being a wolf in sheep's clothing when it comes to performance...

By the way, before making decisions on screens/fairings bear in mind that staying naked (!) will allow the wind to relieve some of the pressure on your wrists. If you bought the bike and stayed with the clip-ons that can by quite an advantage.
    Beautiful that Tony, do you still have it?. Tbh I have just enquired about the bike, the Dealer has come back with a really lowball part exchange against mine that it makes the possible deal I had in mind so much more expensive, I've told him I'll pass for now.
    I'll bide my time until I get a deal I feel is better for me, the deal he offered an hour ago certainly wasn't that lol...

Beautiful that Tony, do you still have it?. Tbh I have just enquired about the bike, the Dealer has come back with a really lowball part exchange against mine that it makes the possible deal I had in mind so much more expensive, I've told him I'll pass for now.
    I'll bide my time until I get a deal I feel is better for me, the deal he offered an hour ago certainly wasn't that lol...
    It really is, isn't it? I actually moved it on as I wanted something I could do short tours/weekends/comfortable all-days on. Ended up getting a Tiger, and a year later chopped that in for my current Harley (Sport Glide), but the Thruxtion is my favourite bike of all those I've had over the past 5 years or so (since I returned to riding). Te Harley pushes it close, though.

Sorry your p/x didn't work out. Can you pop a deposit on the Thruxton and sell the Ducati privately?
    Last edited by learningtofly; 14th October 2022 at 14:49.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 2ptjoe View Post
    Dont want to sound rude but are you sure about that ? 1 tooth dropped is a big difference , its the same basically as 3 on the rear .
    On the previous bikes I’ve dropped 1 tooth at the front and gone up 2 on the rear. That results in perfect gearing for my type of riding.

Due to the new Euro 5 regs I can no longer do that without an engine light coming on.. 1 tooth on the front is as low as I can go without an engine light.

Master
    Marty I think you have hit the possible worst time to be seeking a part ex. Dealers try to run stock down in winter , and with the recent rash of 72 reg plated bikes dealers stocks are high. If you can wait until the new year the natural upturn of the mkt will drive better deals.

Ironically a counter to my argument is the rise in new bike prices due to exchange rates. Its a dilemma, but as you have said if the deal isnt right walk away.

Lastly I notice KTM are embarking on their winter pricing madness knocking £500 off my little bike , and a couple of years ago KTM were being sued by owners annoyed to see their £16k bikes being knocked out at 10.5k only months later with one or two miles on the clock ,with many owners seeking recompense on their depreciation.
    Steve
    Last edited by higham5; 14th October 2022 at 16:22.

Thanks Steve, agreed tbh, I have my Z650RS sat in the garage, it’s a great bike so I’m going to see what happens in the next few months and most likely wait till the new year.

I have put a refundable £100 down on a Z900RS SE and tbh if it turned up next April time that would do for me.

I do admit but that those Thruxton RS are a gorgeous bike, who knows there may be a deal to be had later down the year or into next…

More bike related stuff

You could sell the Z650RS for almost enough to buy a slightly older Thruxton R and buy an earlier z900RS and have both the Kwak and Triumph in the stable!
    Last edited by Dave+63; 14th October 2022 at 15:50.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    You could sell the Z650RS for almost enough to buy a slightly older Thruxton R and then have both the Kwak and Triumph in the stable!
    I’ve done the two bikes tbh, it’s wasted on me so going down to one bike, something for a ride out midweek or at weekends and who knows maybe a night or two away. Something with a bit of poke and a little bigger than the Z650RS, one bike to suit me and my usage, that’s my thinking anyway haha.

Master
    There is a used Z900Rs near me , but its high miles and doesnt look as nice as the 2022 model. A&D do get a fair few Kwackers in though. No 650’s in for pricing comparison

https://www.admotorcycles.co.uk/a-d-...-950-abs-cafe/

I went with Red. Another garage suggested for resale the green would suffer, but I knew it had to be red.

The accessory shopping has started already😀

Quote Originally Posted by cinnabull View Post
    Haha, done exactly the same thing with exactly the same alternative, Tuono V4Factory. I took a V2 out for half a day and knew it was right. I’ve had silly hp bikes and their performance just cant be used on the road, well, not by me anyway. Threw my RS in p/ex. Dont need/want mine till March, but got to admit having no bike in the garage is weird. Still, something to look forward to. I went for the red, what did you go for??

Stuart

More bike related stuff

There is a used Z900Rs near me , but its high miles and doesnt look as nice as the 2022 model. A&D do get a fair few Kwackers in though. No 650’s in for pricing comparison

https://www.admotorcycles.co.uk/a-d-...-950-abs-cafe/
    Ah I’m in no rush, my Ducati Multi has been moved on and like I said I’ll keep the Z650RS until the Z900RS SE arrives or in between that I manage to get an actual ride on a Thruxton RS and decide that’s the one I want, if that’s the case then I’ll just cancel my Z900RS SE order and get the Thruxton RS.

Master
    New graphics in an attempt to protect the paint a bit👍

Took my Bonneville in for its annual service and MOT (passed) and was loaned a brand new T100 for the day (it had 2 miles on the clock).
    Compared to my T100 (2014) it is really refined, but still no speed demon

Quote Originally Posted by Stanford View Post
    Took my Bonneville in for its annual service and MOT (passed) and was loaned a brand new T100 for the day (it had 2 miles on the clock).
    Compared to my T100 (2014) it is really refined, but still no speed demon
    No rocket ship, agreed, but a pleasant way to get about

Quote Originally Posted by Gyp View Post
    No rocket ship, agreed, but a pleasant way to get about
    Agreed, very pleasant.

Master
    Hi all - I am now the proud owner of this Ducati 797 Monster. I saw it on Monday and was so taken with the colour scheme and all the extras the previous owner has fitted that I had to have it.

Now can’t wait for some decent weather!

Warrington, centre of the Universe and home of the Mighty Wire

More bike related stuff

Quote Originally Posted by Cavham View Post
    I went with Red. Another garage suggested for resale the green would suffer, but I knew it had to be red.

The accessory shopping has started already😀
    Yeah same here. One of my mates has just got a green one. Not for me tbh, but I suppose its like marmite. I think your garage is right about resale. Also its a matte colour, after my matte Diavel I doubt I’ll ever have another. It marked so easily, even if you looked at it, and you cant polish any marks out.

The accessories are so damn expensive though. Some are essential IMO and others cosmetic. I will deffo have the Evotech rad kit fitted before it leaves the shop. Thats an essential for me. The tail unit I will probably have as well, its unlikely I’ll take a pillion. Tail tidy as well, that harpoon on the back end is horrendous. And the list goes on and on and on…..

Stuart

Last edited by cinnabull; 15th October 2022 at 11:48.

Nice Monster, Zola!

Well, I managed to get out on the bike for the first time in over a month today - including 2 weeks away in Tenerife and then another two weeks recovering from this groin/tendon problem I picked up over there (which saw me giving up my Spurs ticket today, as I'd not have been able to climb six flights of stairs). Anyway, I had a wonderful couple of hours, and I have to say that I'm over the moon with this bike. It really does suit my style of riding.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Possu View Post
    Nice Monster, Zola!
    100% agree^^^^^^^, I thought I knew my Ducati’s, but that tank is a stunner. Enjoy the new bike and welcome to the world of nakeds.

Anyone a long time user heated gloves on here? I'm looking to get some but I'd prefer the ones where its wired into the battery and the loves to be waterproof and not too bulky, any ideas?

Craftsman
    I have a pair of Keis touring gloves. I haven’t quite warmed to them yet (thank you!) , they just seem a bit too bulky. That said, I wore them all last winter on my Africa Twin and they kept my hands warm and dry. I’m on a Speed Twin now with less buttons to play with so the bulkiness might not cause the same issues. I’ve got a Keis heated jacket which is oddly not very warm at all. My brother has exactly the same jacket and it’s far warmer. Mine works, just doesn’t seem to get as warm as his. I was given mine so am not in a position to exchange it.

Master
    Anyone a long time user heated gloves on here? I'm looking to get some but I'd prefer the ones where its wired into the battery and the loves to be waterproof and not too bulky, any ideas?
    Why not go down the route of heated grips, your new bike may even come with them for free. Heated grips give you more flexibility for those cooler spring autumn rides. The only thing you can guarantee about heated gloves will be that they are at home since “ it looked like it was going to be mild”

Why not go down the route of heated grips, your new bike may even come with them for free. Heated grips give you more flexibility for those cooler spring autumn rides. The only thing you can guarantee about heated gloves will be that they are at home since “ it looked like it was going to be mild”
    For anyone that rides through the winter the answer is of course heated grips + heated gloves. Grips alone will only keep the insides of your hands warm.

On the gloves side I have a pair from Racer (a French brand, I think). Without the (small) batteries clipped inside they're just lovely winter gloves, but taking the batteries in a pocket gives you that additional comfort should it get/feel colder than expected.