closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 143 of 357 FirstFirst ... 4393133141142143144145153193243 ... LastLast
Results 7,101 to 7,150 of 17803

Thread: More bike related stuff

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Unlike (in this case) the rider!
    yup i take more warming up than the bke these days, yesterday i did a full ACF50 respray with the airgun on mine and dug out the liners for both my jackets - good days are going to get rarer so make the most of them :)

Well, that's not quite what you were doing if you read your previous post, but in any event I think the point about the rear tyre is now clear. Oh, and the need for an immediate tyre change resulted in a nice reduction to the asking price, which was very welcome.

As said, i appreciate that you were trying to be helpful but trust me when I tell you that the tyre was shot and the bike's handling was all over the place as a consequence.
    Let's hope the new tyres aren't as twitchy as the old ones (or the rider )

Helmet drag..?

I noticed a strange phenomenon when I was out of Sunday. Despite me telling myself that I'd only wear my Bell open face when I was out on lower-speed rides, I found myself "making progress" whilst wearing it. I know. I know.

What I noticed though, was that there seemed to be a lot less loading on my neck; usually a real problem for me. I know the Bell is quite a bit lighter than my Arai full-face, but I expected the drag from the wind to be greater, especially as the front isn't smoothed (it has my podgy face sticking out) and it has a peak.

If it reduces neck strain, the move to regular open face use may be an acceptable trade off.

Anyone else found similar?

Quote Originally Posted by Gyp View Post
    Helmet drag..?

I noticed a strange phenomenon when I was out of Sunday. Despite me telling myself that I'd only wear my Bell open face when I was out on lower-speed rides, I found myself "making progress" whilst wearing it. I know. I know.

What I noticed though, was that there seemed to be a lot less loading on my neck; usually a real problem for me. I know the Bell is quite a bit lighter than my Arai full-face, but I expected the drag from the wind to be greater, especially as the front isn't smoothed (it has my podgy face sticking out) and it has a peak.

If it reduces neck strain, the move to regular open face use may be an acceptable trade off.

Anyone else found similar?
    Try a really light weight full face helmet, takes a huge amount of strain off of your neck

Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard View Post
    Try a really light weight full face helmet, takes a huge amount of strain off of your neck
    https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/mot...nt_prod/420250

I bought one of these following a tip from another thread on here a while back.......18 months on and I'm been so pleased with it. Can't get over how light and comfortable it is without looking too sportsbikey.....if you know what I mean.

Warrington, centre of the Universe and home of the Mighty Wire
    Cant wait for the report Tony. Hope you enjoy the Thruxton as much or more than the Beemer. I’m sure you will, just different reasons to enjoy. Regarding the tyres, if you felt they were potentially unsafe or past their best, deffo get them changed, why wouldn’t you. Riding full of confidence with new rubber underneath you is way better than wondering what may happen on the next bend or sudden stop. Oh, and a new vid on the new bike please

Stuart

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by skmark View Post

I bought one of these following a tip from another thread on here a while back.......18 months on and I'm been so pleased with it. Can't get over how light and comfortable it is without looking too sportsbikey.....if you know what I mean.
    That's only slightly heavier than the Bell open face so I might give one a try when the Arai is due for replacement.

It's the amount of effort needed to hold my head against the wind that interested me which shouldn't, I'd have have thought, relate that much to helmet weight. More aerodynamics.

Quote Originally Posted by cinnabull View Post
    Cant wait for the report Tony. Hope you enjoy the Thruxton as much or more than the Beemer. I’m sure you will, just different reasons to enjoy. Regarding the tyres, if you felt they were potentially unsafe or past their best, deffo get them changed, why wouldn’t you. Riding full of confidence with new rubber underneath you is way better than wondering what may happen on the next bend or sudden stop. Oh, and a new vid on the new bike please

Stuart

Thanks Stuart. The ride with the new tires fitted is nothing short of sublime! The suspension is wonderful and the handling is up there with that of the Street Triple.

I’ll add a photo when I get home and I’ve recorded a video but it will need some editing before I upload it.

Master

That was me... I’m in the process of buying my second one to go with my new Rocket 3

Now discontinued and replaced with a new model, so if you want one get one whilst you can..👍

Thanks Stuart. The ride with the new tires fitted is nothing short of sublime! The suspension is wonderful and the handling is up there with that of the Street Triple.

I’ll add a photo when I get home and I’ve recorded a video but it will need some editing before I upload it.
    A couple of photos from earlier... what a beautiful looking thing it is (just ordered some heated grips, though)!

Last edited by learningtofly; 24th September 2020 at 13:59.

New bike looks great T.

I was supposed to be at Cadwell Park yesterday & today but as the forecast was poor, I decided to give the Gixxer track bike some much needed TLC.

Oil & filter change, callipers off & gone to Powerhouse to be refurbed & new fairings fitted, so we've gone from this sorry state

to this

Fingers crossed it stays looking this good for a while.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Quote Originally Posted by andy tims View Post
    New bike looks great T.

... so we've gone from this sorry state

...to this

Fingers crossed it stays looking this good for a while.
    Thanks Andy, and that's some transformation!

Warrington, centre of the Universe and home of the Mighty Wire
    A couple of photos from earlier... what a beautiful looking thing it is (just ordered some heated grips, though)!]
    Are you going to retrofit OEM ones or aftermarket stuff like Oxfords?

Stuart

Quote Originally Posted by cinnabull View Post
    Are you going to retrofit OEM ones or aftermarket stuff like Oxfords?

Stuart

I'm going OEM, Stuart. They're neat, provide a display on the dash and get lovely and hot (I've fitted them twice before, so know them well).

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
    That was me... I’m in the process of buying my second one to go with my new Rocket 3

Now discontinued and replaced with a new model, so if you want one get one whilst you can..

That's a nice looking lid, I like the idea of it being light. I like the flip type helmets these days, wear my Shoei less and less. Almost bought the Shark Evoline 3 but was reccomended that the LS2 Valiant was a better design. It's certified as both a full and open face helmet which some flip models don't seem to be. It is quite heavy though so I may have to look at something lighter.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    That's a nice looking lid, I like the idea of it being light. I like the flip type helmets these days, wear my Shoei less and less. Almost bought the Shark Evoline 3 but was reccomended that the LS2 Valiant was a better design. It's certified as both a full and open face helmet which some flip models don't seem to be. It is quite heavy though so I may have to look at something lighter.
    Yes, I’ve had my original black one for 2 years now, and between all the bikes I’ve done the best part of 25k miles, I’ve got 2 sets of cheek pads so I can wear one wash one. Can’t fault the helmet and will be happy to get another.👍

Master
    Took my GS for a major(ish) service at the dealer today. When I went to collect it they said "It's all fine but we didn't change the plugs because we haven't got any". FFS, a BMW main dealer with no spark plugs...

So... what bike should I buy?

I passed my Mod2 yesterday but have ridden 3 bikes in the last 30 years, all of them in the last three months: CG125 (CBT), YBR125 (practice and pootling) CB650R (Mod1/Mod2). I enjoyed riding the CB650R but it's not the bike for me. I know I don't want either a 'cruiser' or a 'crotch rocket' but I don't know what I do want. I do keep going round the Ducati Scrambler/Monster, Triumph T100 (Bonneville, Street Twin, Scrambler), Moto Guzzi V7, Fantic Caballero 500 loop with each of them being my favourite for about 30minutes before I see a nice photo of one of the others.

My local used bike supermarket won't let you touch, never mind sit on, a bike at the moment and I really don't want to buy a bike on reviews alone. The outlier in my choices is the XSR700 which stopped me in my tracks as I was walking round the superbikefactory. There's just something about it that I think looks gorgeous but - and here's the issue - I could buy it, sit on it and hate it even before I've started it up.

I'm talking to myself really but I really need to find somewhere that I can at least sit on a few bikes.

Quote Originally Posted by MakeColdplayHistory View Post
    Have you considered a Suzuki VanVan or a Yamaha YBR125?

Have you considered a Suzuki VanVan or a Yamaha YBR125?
    It's true to say I've previously considered both but it's time to put the YBR in the garage while Mrs MCH and then MCH jr sort out their CBTs.

It's true to say I've previously considered both but it's time to put the YBR in the garage while Mrs MCH and then MCH jr sort out their CBTs.
    :-)

A mate took out a couple of bikes while his was in for service recently.

Triumph Street Scrambler - loved it, had a grin from ear to ear,wouldn't want to take it to Scotland.
    Triumph Tiger 900 - comfortable, competent, would do Scotland

Based on my recent experience the BMW F700GS is pretty darned good too.

Something for the ladies...

https://triumphfactoryoutlet.com/pro...ss-steel-watch

From the Triumph Outlet, ladies wrist watch reduced to £25.

It appears to be a chronograph without buttons though, so I'm not sure how that works

More bike related stuff

I passed my Mod2 yesterday but have ridden 3 bikes in the last 30 years, all of them in the last three months: CG125 (CBT), YBR125 (practice and pootling) CB650R (Mod1/Mod2). I enjoyed riding the CB650R but it's not the bike for me. I know I don't want either a 'cruiser' or a 'crotch rocket' but I don't know what I do want. I do keep going round the Ducati Scrambler/Monster, Triumph T100 (Bonneville, Street Twin, Scrambler), Moto Guzzi V7, Fantic Caballero 500 loop with each of them being my favourite for about 30minutes before I see a nice photo of one of the others.

My local used bike supermarket won't let you touch, never mind sit on, a bike at the moment and I really don't want to buy a bike on reviews alone. The outlier in my choices is the XSR700 which stopped me in my tracks as I was walking round the superbikefactory. There's just something about it that I think looks gorgeous but - and here's the issue - I could buy it, sit on it and hate it even before I've started it up.

I'm talking to myself really but I really need to find somewhere that I can at least sit on a few bikes.
    I said this to Tony 18 months ago, but have you considered something larger in capacity? Just because you passed your DAS on a 650 doesn't mean you need to stay in that bracket.

I passed DAS in June 2018 and went straight to an R9T. Then added an R1100 GS in June 2019. Then added a Multistrada 1000 DS in June this year. I wouldn't waste my time with anything under 1000cc because there is so much more interest and choice out there, particularly in the used/youngtimer classic market at >1000cc.
    Last edited by j0hnbarker; 25th September 2020 at 16:41.

Master

I think you’re not a million miles away from Staffordshire Triumph (ST6 5PB)?

They have a good selection of used bikes - and obviously they sell new Triumphs - and they have a pragmatic approach to the current situation.

Just down the road you would also find Potteries motorcycles who also have a good selection of brands, new and used - although I’ve not been in there during Covid times so I’m not sure how they operate.

Just back home from Triumph North London for a short recall visit for the Scrambler. As I pulled in I recognised the bike parked next to mine as being as being the Speedmaster owned by Captain Rambunctious of YouTube fame (if that's really fame).

Anyway, as the only 2 customers waiting for our bikes I spent a good hour chatting away with him, what a thoroughly nice chap. Clearly some will find his YouTube persona a bit grating but in person he's obviously not quite so OTT but still very positive and outgoing.

He's off on his own ride for this years DGR (The tweed butt challenge) tomorrow doing 500 miles in one day.......not sure I'd fancy doing that on a Speedmaster!

https://youtu.be/GaMpefHG7fs

Tony - have you seen the Thruxton TFC they have in there????

Something for the ladies...

It appears to be a chronograph without buttons though, so I'm not sure how that works
    My mistake, the subdials are day of the week, day of the month and 24 hour

Quote Originally Posted by j0hnbarker View Post
    I wouldn't waste my time with anything under 1000cc ...........
    Each to their own, but I'm not sure that's the very best advice for someone looking for their first 'big bike'. I got carried away with the whole 'Long Way Round' thing back in 2008 and bought an R1200GS as my first 'big bike'. I ended up selling it within a month as it was killing my confidence.

W
    Just back home from Triumph North London for a short recall visit for the Scrambler. As I pulled in I recognised the bike parked next to mine as being as being the Speedmaster owned by Captain Rambunctious of YouTube fame (if that's really fame).

Anyway, as the only 2 customers waiting for our bikes I spent a good hour chatting away with him, what a thoroughly nice chap. Clearly some will find his YouTube persona a bit grating but in person he's obviously not quite so OTT but still very positive and outgoing.

He's off on his own ride for this years DGR (The tweed butt challenge) tomorrow doing 500 miles in one day.......not sure I'd fancy doing that on a Speedmaster!

Yes I have - Ben was making sure I knew it was available again at the time I was testing the red Thruxton. In other circumstances I may well have bought it but I was looking for a cost neutral change, which I managed to achieve in the end by sticking with private deals.

Each to their own, but I'm not sure that's the very best advice for someone looking for their first 'big bike'. I got carried away with the whole 'Long Way Round' thing back in 2008 and bought an R1200GS as my first 'big bike'. I ended up selling it within a month as it was killing my confidence.
    In the real world, what is the difference between an 800cc Ducati Scrambler and a 1200cc BMW R9T?

If we were talking about 1000cc sports bikes I would agree. FWIW I wanted a GS as soon as I had passed DAS but quickly realised once I had sat on one that I would need some time on something physically smaller first. I had the year with the R9T then bought the 1100GS (with 30BHP less than the R9) once I was a little more confident.

Master
    Just had a call... Rocket 3 ready for collection tomorrow...😈

Just had a call... Rocket 3 ready for collection tomorrow...😈
    Sweeeeet

Good luck sleeping tonight ;)

Blog Entries

Come over to the dark side.........same (lack of) power as the Guzzi V7, and more than the Caballero. User friendly and easy to ride.

Blog Entries
    Just had a call... Rocket 3 ready for collection tomorrow...
    Go easy now..........

Just got the Street Scrambler back from the warranty work. And recall work. And a new tube. And black engine bolts.

And I appear to have ordered s pair of PIAA driving lights for it.

Not entirely sure how I'll fit them, but they will go on somehow.

Other than the fact they look great, I'm not entirely sure why I've bought them either, as I've never even ridden the bike in the dark.

Oh I know; it's because they look great.

W
    Yes I have - Ben was making sure I knew it was available again at the time I was testing the red Thruxton. In other circumstances I may well have bought it but I was looking for a cost neutral change, which I managed to achieve in the end by sticking with private deals.
    I thought you'd like it. It is a lovely thing but a lot of cash. I think you certainly got a better deal with the one you have.....I can't see how the TFC is worth that much more money.

I said this to Tony 18 months ago, but have you considered something larger in capacity? Just because you passed your DAS on a 650 doesn't mean you need to stay in that bracket.
    I certainly haven't ruled anything out just based on capacity. I'd consider a bigger (cc) bike particularly if it was a bigger (size) bike. I'm a bit of a Clydesdale at 6'1" and close to 17st. I've also had some pretty powerful cars in my past and never left the road or picked up any points so I know throttles don't have to be on/off.

Quote Originally Posted by downer View Post
    I think you’re not a million miles away from Staffordshire Triumph (ST6 5PB)?
    They have a good selection of used bikes - and obviously they sell new Triumphs - and they have a pragmatic approach to the current situation
    37 minutes according to Google Maps. I might nip in there tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    Come over to the dark side.........same (lack of) power as the Guzzi V7, and more than the Caballero. User friendly and easy to ride.
    I have to admit I've written Royal Enfield's off on a complete misunderstanding. There's a Herald Classic 400 that keeps parking outside my house but, for reasons I can't quite explain, I've got it in my head that it's an Enfield. And when it's parked next to my YBR125 it doesn't look much bigger if at all. So I'll have to give my head a wobble and add them back into the list.

edit: and it looks like Potteries Motorcycles (close to Staffordshire Triumph) are Royal Enfield dealers so I could nip in there too...
    Last edited by MakeColdplayHistory; 25th September 2020 at 18:56.

Blog Entries
    I have to admit I've written Royal Enfield's off on a complete misunderstanding. There's a Herald Classic 400 that keeps parking outside my house but, for reasons I can't quite explain, I've got it in my head that it's an Enfield. And when it's parked next to my YBR125 it doesn't look much bigger if at all. So I'll have to give my head a wobble and add them back into the list.

edit: and it looks like Potteries Motorcycles (close to Staffordshire Triumph) are Royal Enfield dealers so I could nip in there too...
    Go and sit on/look at some. And look at some of the reviews on You Tube, you may be surprised.

ive watched a few of this blokes videos , first time i heard him i thought it was robert webb ( of mitchell and webb )

Master
    I passed DAS in June 2018 ... I wouldn't waste my time with anything under 1000cc
    I’m afraid this advice is poor. If you’ve only been riding for a couple of years and wouldn’t waste your time on anything under 1000cc, then either you’re the next John McGuinness or you’re not getting the most out of your bikes.

What have you done to develop your road skills? Rapid Training, for example?

Quote Originally Posted by Dougal View Post
    I’m afraid this advice is poor. If you’ve only been riding for a couple of years and wouldn’t waste your time on anything under 1000cc, then either you’re the next John McGuinness or you’re not getting the most out of your bikes.

What have you done to develop your road skills? Rapid Training, for example?

To be fair, there are litre bikes, and LITRE bikes...............

The idea of a BMW R9T (1200 twin) isn't that outlandish in my opinion, albeit - something with a smoother wet clutch and softer response to downshifts could be more appropriate.

Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post

The idea of a BMW R9T (1200 twin) isn't that outlandish in my opinion, albeit - something with a smoother wet clutch and softer response to downshifts could be more appropriate.
    Indeed.

Triumph T120, yes

Suzuki Gixxer thou, mebbie not

Indeed.

Triumph T120, yes

Suzuki Gixxer thou, mebbie not
    After doing my DAS, I had a brief flirtation with the idea of a Honda SP2 as first bike......................

What the hell was I thinking !!!!!

Bought a BMW R1100s Boxercup Replika. 100bhp (although - a hard-running engine). Great bike.

Master
    Correct... I used to think that recommending a litre+ bike to a newly qualified rider would be madness, and when it comes to Blades, GSXr’s, R1’s and the like I’d have to say that it would be madness.

But, my 1200 Bobber, and Speedmaster are so easy and un intimidating to ride, that I’d quite happily recommend that type of bike to a new rider..👍

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by SimonH View Post
    Agreed re warranty.

£127 isn't a huge risk so I think I'll give it a go.
    Booster plug ordered. And a tail tidy

Something like a Speed Twin, or even the revised Street Twin, would seem a good bet.

Loving this:-

https://langenmotorcycles.co.uk

(no affiliation)
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    Loving this:-

https://langenmotorcycles.co.uk

(no affiliation)
    Saw it up close today at Salon Privé. Lovely looking thing, but not my cup of tea. Crazy pricing. Definitely a motoring trinket, and nothing more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just had a call... Rocket 3 ready for collection tomorrow...
    Come on, sleepy head! Time to get up and have some breakfast!

Big day today!

Quote Originally Posted by spareparts View Post
    Saw it up close today at Salon Privé. Lovely looking thing, but not my cup of tea. Crazy pricing. Definitely a motoring trinket, and nothing more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Nice looking thing, though, and I bet it's a hoot to ride. He was CCM's principal designer, hence the very evident shared DNA.

GT85

Quick question... my bike goes in for a service on Monday week, after which it will be getting the Freddy Trott treatment including an all-over application of ACF50. Going forward, though, i was just reading about GT85 - anyone use it on a routine basis and - if so - can you share your thoughts on the benefits or otherwise? I'm particularly wondering whether applying it to the chain after cleaning/lubing provides a bit of extra corrosion protection without any detrimental side effects.