closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 313 of 359 FirstFirst ... 213263303311312313314315323 ... LastLast
Results 15,601 to 15,650 of 17913

Thread: More bike related stuff

Tony's had an off. On the way to hospital but sounds like he's ok, unlike his new bike.

Shit, he seems to be having no luck lately!

Hope you’re ok Tony, don’t worry about the bike, as long as you’re alright, that’s all that’s important.

Quote Originally Posted by Gyp View Post
    Tony's had an off. On the way to hospital but sounds like he's ok, unlike his new bike.
    Oh no! Glad to hear it sounds like he's OK though.

Master
    Oh good god no

FFS, when you're luck is out, but so long as he's okay that's the main thing.

Hoping just a quick once over and send home.

Master
    Jeez… hope you are ok Tony.

I too am hoping everything is ok with you Tony. Bikes are easy enough to replace.

Master
    Best wishes, Tony.

Damn. Hope you are okay Tony.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Very bad news.

I hope he is OK and not to shook up,are you in contact with him?

Master
    Sorry to hear this☹️. Hope it’s not serious

He's okay. Obviously hurt but still has a sense of humour.

Grand Master
    What happened to the Pizzas he was delivering?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    RIAC

Well, now we know he is 'walking wounded'.............................

The unstartable thread would have:

"What watch would you wear to A&E?"

Speedy recovery Tony.

Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    Well, now we know he is 'walking wounded'.............................

The unstartable thread would have:

"What watch would you wear to A&E?"

Speedy recovery Tony.

The above Ltd Ed Brietling Triumph er "TOP ME"?

124270 apparently.

Unmarked.

Guys, thanks for the thoughts and wishes, which are much appreciated. Probably easier if I just quote a post on the Triumph Forum which summarises everything:

Well, the year that just keeps on giving has just got even better! I was out for a bimble on my beautiful bike yesterday, and some idiot in the car just in front of me - completely without warning - decided to make a sudden right turn as I was filtering past him. I was completely T-boned, went over my handlebars as well as his bonnet, and as I flew through the air remember having enough time to think “Jesus, this is going to be like one of those YouTube videos“!

Long story short, my bike is totalled and I ended up spending the day in hospital. I had blood tests, ultrasounds, X-rays, ECGs, dye infusions, scans, testicular manipulation (!) and a finger up the arse (!!) before finally being allowed home some hours later with no permanent or serious injuries. However, I have traumatic muscle damage to my back (I landed on my back and the back of my head, unfortunately wearing the one jacket that I own without back protection). Lost a bit of skin on one arm too, although I was barely even aware of that due to the pain in my back.

To say that I’m in bloody agony would be an understatement. My back goes into spasm the moment I try to move and the rest of my body is now starting to hurt (yesterday the pain was masked by stress hormones and I guess the state of shock that I was in). I don’t know how long it’s going to be before I’m free of pain, and I have no idea what further pain is going to be caused just negotiating my insurance settlement; I have no gap insurance and I wasn’t able to get my extra/options covered as the additional premium was ludicrously expensive. What I do know is that my riding season is over, and my perfect bike (which I’d made a reflection of me, and which represented a small win in a very difficult phase of my life) is gone for good.
    Can't say I can recall being in this much pain before, but I'm alive and nothing's broken (except my bike).

Edit: I should add that this is my first bike accident in more than 15 years on two wheels. I've always ridden quite defensively when amongst traffic, but no doubt there's some learning to be taken here, and decisions to be made regarding helmet choices (had I landed face down...).
    Last edited by learningtofly; 25th June 2023 at 09:29.

Good to hear from you.

I'm sure 'lessons will be learnt' and that what happened to you won't put you off doing what you've enjoyed so much.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Master
    Sounds similar to my most serious accident last year, although I was overtaking rather than filtering, so was doing higher speed.

Following on from that, I’ve decided that overtaking, and filtering is probably the most risky manoeuvre we can do on bikes. Many car drivers just have absolutely no awareness of bikes and hardly ever use their mirrors before making a turn.

I just don’t filter anymore, just last Friday I was stuck in a queue of traffic and watched 3 cars ahead just U turn in the road to get out of the line and go in the opposite direction. That’s 3 opportunities to get knocked off.

Wishing you a swift recovery Tony.

Sorry to hear this and wish you a speedy recovery. Its a traumatic shock to the body and mind when you impact the tarmac.

Hopefully you have no long lasting injury.
    Regards, Derek

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Master
    Good to hear you have no broken bones or other serious injuries.

Without wanting to sound like an IAM evangelist, there's little doubt the additional training helps to identify and mitigate the risks involved with motorcycling. Something to consider when you're ready to get back into it.

The biggest justification for a loud exhaust there is.

Damn! That's a bit worse than walking wounded !

That all sounds painful.

Hope the insurance and legal process is easy.

Master
    Get well soon! Sounds like a bad one but you are still here so be thankful for that!

I had a weird one on Friday. Was riding back from having an MOT sitting in the outside lane on a 3 lane dual carriageway and there was a VW TRoc behind me really close. Normally I probably would have just pressed on but I didn't have full gear on just helmet and jacket.
    Was something about the way the car was moving in the lane so I just pulled over and she sped past looking in her vanity mirror like she was doing her makeup or something.
    About 2 miles later I see a 3 car pile up with the Troc in the side of a car with the airbags deployed.

Turned my stomach to be honest.

Too many morons on the road

Sent from my SM-F926B using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by bigweb View Post
    Get well soon! Sounds like a bad one but you are still here so be thankful for that!

I had a weird one on Friday. Was riding back from having an MOT sitting in the outside lane on a 3 lane dual carriageway and there was a VW TRoc behind me really close. Normally I probably would have just pressed on but I didn't have full gear on just helmet and jacket.
    Was something about the way the car was moving in the lane so I just pulled over and she sped past looking in her vanity mirror like she was doing her makeup or something.
    About 2 miles later I see a 3 car pile up with the Troc in the side of a car with the airbags deployed.

Turned my stomach to be honest.

Too many morons on the road
    I'd have been inclined to stop and give a statement to the Police in that situation.

No police on the roads, so drivers play the odds.

Sorry to hear of your incident Tony and wish you a speedy recovery

Master
    I'd have been inclined to stop and give a statement to the Police in that situation.

No police on the roads, so drivers play the odds.
    Yep, this. She’ll no doubt have been protesting her innocence and claiming that everyone else was driving appallingly.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Sorry to hear this Tony, you must be gutted with all the effort you have put in to keep riding and sorting out the Triumph.

Its small consolation that you walked away, but I hope you fully recover ready for next year.

Get well soon Tony! I'm packed and off to do the ACT Pyranees next week. Actually camping too this time so fully loaded!

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk

Master
    Blog Entries
    What is

ACT Pyranees?

Why do you have a massive ratchet strap on the back?
    2 Rok straps crossed over would do the job?

Quote Originally Posted by bwest76 View Post
    What is

ACT Pyranees?

Why do you have a massive ratchet strap on the back?
    2 Rok straps crossed over would do the job?
    Adventure Country Tracks

Sometimes handy to have a cargo strap (decent length) for emergencies if you on a track type holiday. Same goes for a hank of paracord.

120 miles pootling round local lanes this morning without a route/plan.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Adventure Country Tracks

Sometimes handy to have a cargo strap (decent length) for emergencies if you on a track type holiday. Same goes for a hank of paracord.
    Thank you for the reply.

Unlike my previous bimble around the north of Kent, this morning I had a pootle to the monthly branch meeting of the Ducati Owners Club GB Kent (Spitfires)...on something which doesn't object too strongly to the potholes: it's due its annual service and MOT next week so I thought I should check it all works, which it does

Last edited by Stanford; 25th June 2023 at 16:51.

Adventure Country Tracks

^^^exactly that^^^. And a strap long enough to wrap around both panniers and go over my Lomo camping bag is a big bonus keeping things properly held in place when you're bouncing around for 700 miles off an on road so that I don't have to think about them.

- - - Updated - - -

Adventure Country Tracks

^^^exactly that^^^. And a strap long enough to wrap around both panniers and go over my Lomo camping bag is a big bonus keeping things properly held in place when you're bouncing around for 700 miles off an on road so that I don't have to think about them.

Sorry to hear of your accident LTF, I hate filtering although do it a lot.

I hope you recover and get back riding soon.

Master
    Mend well Tony, sorry to hear about this given the crap you have been going through.

Hope they have given you some suitably good meds to deal with the pain.

Look after yourself & get a little bell so Bea can know when you need some food or drink!

Master
    We're touring around Ireland following the v wild atlantic way.
    Roads are excellent... as good as NC500 and without any speed cameras ( for any accidental loss if concentration moments of course).
    Couple of damp moments - to be expected

Thanks again, everyone. It really does feel like i'm being tested at the moment - in fact, it started last summer when I had my holiday troubles and has just seemed to get worse and worse. Incredible really.

Anyway, I got up this morning after very little sleep, and my back feels just a little easier; not so quick to go into spasm, and when it does the pain is slightly less intense. That's very welcome indeed, because coupled with my colitis the situation has been pretty much impossible to manage. I'm hoping that, as my body determines that the danger from the original trauma has diminished, the spasms will stop and it'll just be sore for a while (fingers crossed, anyway).

I've initiated the insurance claim through Carole Nash, who have effectively now passed it on to Aviva (who should be n touch with me today/tomorrow). It seems that everyone is happy for North London Triumph to deal with the repairs (or, I guess, replacement) of the bike, and they know that if it turns out to be the latter then I'll want all my extras/options removed from the bike and reinstalled on the replacement. That said, any damage might be repairable - I should know soon enough.

Given the above, and that I'm very much aware that - following the impact - I was airborne long enough to contemplate exactly what was happening , I need to consider myself very lucky indeed. The outcome could have been substantially more serious.

Oh, and on the subject of meds, because of my colitis I'm unable to take any non-steroidal painkillers - that just leaves Paracetamol, which is pretty rubbish, along with Diazepam as a muscle relaxant. Shame, because any of codeine, co-proxamol, ibuprofen, etc would have really helped, I'm sure.

Glad to hear the back is marginally less painful Tony, hopefully it should keep improving from now. A back spasm is incredibly painful and can take a long time (over a week when I had my last one) to get anywhere normality so you have my sympathies!

Wishing you a speedy recovery Tony; I doubt there’s anyone riding a bike who hasn’t either had the same accident or been inches away from it.

I had a similar incident in 1991 and the most vivid memory is looking at the driver through his open sunroof. It went all the way to court where the judge found 70/30 in my favour.

I’m sure many others have similar stories, the fortunate part being that we are still here to bore each other with it!

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Thanks again, everyone. It really does feel like i'm being tested at the moment - in fact, it started last summer when I had my holiday troubles and has just seemed to get worse and worse. Incredible really.

Anyway, I got up this morning after very little sleep, and my back feels just a little easier; not so quick to go into spasm, and when it does the pain is slightly less intense. That's very welcome indeed, because coupled with my colitis the situation has been pretty much impossible to manage. I'm hoping that, as my body determines that the danger from the original trauma has diminished, the spasms will stop and it'll just be sore for a while (fingers crossed, anyway).

I've initiated the insurance claim through Carole Nash, who have effectively now passed it on to Aviva (who should be n touch with me today/tomorrow). It seems that everyone is happy for North London Triumph to deal with the repairs (or, I guess, replacement) of the bike, and they know that if it turns out to be the latter then I'll want all my extras/options removed from the bike and reinstalled on the replacement. That said, any damage might be repairable - I should know soon enough.

Given the above, and that I'm very much aware that - following the impact - I was airborne long enough to contemplate exactly what was happening , I need to consider myself very lucky indeed. The outcome could have been substantially more serious.

Oh, and on the subject of meds, because of my colitis I'm unable to take any non-steroidal painkillers - that just leaves Paracetamol, which is pretty rubbish, along with Diazepam as a muscle relaxant. Shame, because any of codeine, co-proxamol, ibuprofen, etc would have really helped, I'm sure.
    Let's hope you're soon in less pain.

Do you think you'll wear a back protector & full face lid going forward?

I really rate my Helite Air Bag vest, although thankfully have yet to test it.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Master
    I did wonder if your colitis would limit the ability to take anything properly efficacious to manage the pain. Don’t envy you on the paracetamol approach to pain management, but hope it takes enough of the edge off.

If you can take ibuprofen then a staggered dose of them both is a better pain management methodology than either in isolation. If you can’t be bothered with a staggered dose and want an easier solution, Nuromol has them already combined.

Good news the spasm is reducing, hope you continue to mend. Scary when you think what your air time could have achieved injury wise.

Wishing you a required upturn with your luck.

Warrington, centre of the Universe and home of the Mighty Wire
    Jeez Tony just read this. Wishing you a speedy recovery .

Stuart

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Blog Entries
    I wish you a speedy recovery and hope the legal side is sorted without to much hassle.

I went and checked my back protectors after you mentioned it, I dont have them in all my jackets as in some they are restrictive (even the d30 type) but I am going to find something.

Its a long time since I wore a open face as,the last accident I had I slid down the road with my helmet scraping the road my eyes inches from the tarmac.

As for the car drivers not looking it never stops.

Yesterday I had someone go suddenly from the right lane to the left across 3 lanes without looking/indicating in front of me,later at night I had 2 separate incidents with cars with lights off out of town one with an irate truck driver bearing down on us.

We can plan and we can anticipate but we are always vulnerable.

Thanks all. On the subject of protection, yes - a back protector will go in this one remaining jacket. Not going to commit to never wearing open face helmets, though. I think my attitude towards filtering will change (i.e. there will be a narrower range of circumstances in which I'll do it) but in a general sense I find wearing an open face helmet provides a whole different riding experience. We shall see, anyway, and I'm more than aware of the heightened risk profile.

Since my last update things have moved on a little. My back is certainly improving day by day, albeit that the Diazepam will be masking the symptoms a little. In any event, the spasms have become infrequent now, leaving just an overriding dull pain primarily in my back but also to a lesser extant affecting my chest on one side and one shoulder. Given my age and the impact my body suffered this sounds like the least I should expect, and I imagine I now just need to give my body a bit of time to heal.

North London Triumph have now given me a repair estimate for the bike, amount to about £12.5k plus VAT. Given that the list price for the T120 is about £11,750 it's clearly going to be written off, but in any event I've passed the details to Aviva and await their confirmation of next steps.

Last time I checked, lead to time for a T120 Black was the best part of two months. In addition to the normal fulfillment process all my extras/options need to come off my old bike, to be fitted onto the replacement (some of which i can do to save labour charges), albeit that a couple of things - mirrors and dresser bars for starters - will need to be replaced with new. And, of course, none of this can commence until Aviva give me the green light.

I reckon if I'm on the road again by mid-September I'll have done well, all things considered.
    Last edited by learningtofly; 29th June 2023 at 09:10.

Master
    Glad to hear things are progressing Tony (on both bike and body). Some people may have just called it a day but it sounds like you are staying very positive and already have that target of getting back in the saddle firmly in your sights.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Keep going Tony,you will get back on eventually.

Despite mounting pressure from family to give up riding, I'll be back on a bike as soon as it's physically possible. In fact, I'm going to speak to Aviva tomorrow to determine whether I'm actually covered for a loan bike once I'm physically capable.

Good on you Tony, I think it is really important to do in life what drives you, inspires you and gives you satisfaction.
    I am glad that your recovery seems to be doing well, I hope that it continues in the same vein.
    Here's to getting you back on the road.