timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 296 of 358 FirstFirst ... 196246286294295296297298306346 ... LastLast
Results 14,751 to 14,800 of 17884

Thread: More bike related stuff

Quote Originally Posted by lewie View Post
    Not good news but glad you both survived - time to chop it in
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    Agreed, smaller will definitely be better for you, for the time being at least.
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt8500 View Post
    Time for a change Tony, you can always get another Harley when you are fully fit again.
    Quote Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
    Ooh that’s not good. ☹️ But at least you can pretend to take the Micky out of me浪
    Guys, I appreciate the comments and advice but I'm not giving up just yet. My reasoning is:

1. I really want to keep the bike, and now I'm exercising again I'm hoping to regain some strength (and I'm going to plan a long walk into my days in future, too).
    2. I had exactly the same bike-drop with my R9T - there are some tight maneuvers on my patio. Frankly, it doesn't matter if a bike is 500lb or 700lb... if it's going to go, it's going to go.
    3. It's too early to give up this particular fight, although I'll review the position in a couple of months. As it stands, though, my April trip is still on.
    Last edited by learningtofly; 28th March 2023 at 09:12.

Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    I had to sell my Harley for similar reasons. But can’t help thinking about another one!
    No question that they're heavy beasts. There are so many slightly built women riding Harleys, Indians, GSA's, etc that I refuse to be intimidated, though.

I understand your POV, though, and I did enjoy the lightness of the T120 I took as a loaner last week.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    No question that they're heavy beasts. There are so many slightly built women riding Harleys, Indians, GSA's, etc that I refuse to be intimidated, though.

I understand your POV, though, and I did enjoy the lightness of the T120 I took as a loaner last week.
    Don't be intimidated - and I'd not sell your bike if I were you - but perhaps consider that (for now) you can't do what you used to. So don't try tight turns where the bike could be dropped; the next time might be less positive as an outcome. Think of all the potential outcomes and plan round them when you're out on a ride - realistically, it'll only be the low-speed stuff that's an issue, I should think.

Post knee surgery, I thought I'd never ski or ride again, and have been delighted to be wrong. I found out, however, that once you're over 50 recovery takes way longer than it used to. I hated the fact that I had to take baby steps to get back to full fitness, but grudgingly accepted that the physios were right - trying to jump back into where I was simply prolonged the recovery.

Quote Originally Posted by Longblackcoat View Post
    Don't be intimidated - and I'd not sell your bike if I were you - but perhaps consider that (for now) you can't do what you used to. So don't try tight turns where the bike could be dropped; the next time might be less positive as an outcome. Think of all the potential outcomes and plan round them when you're out on a ride - realistically, it'll only be the low-speed stuff that's an issue, I should think.

Post knee surgery, I thought I'd never ski or ride again, and have been delighted to be wrong. I found out, however, that once you're over 50 recovery takes way longer than it used to. I hated the fact that I had to take baby steps to get back to full fitness, but grudgingly accepted that the physios were right - trying to jump back into where I was simply prolonged the recovery.
    Thank you - that's sound advice and taken on board as such.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobbyf View Post
    I know, it’s shameful! I’ve only just come across them now I’m a Triumph owning hipster after selling the Africa Twin. My dirty old adventure bike gear just simply won’t do on a ride out on the Speed Twin this summer.
    The Goldtop jackets look like good value for money when you look at the safety ratings and quality. Just wondered if anyone had any real world experience away from the YouTube channels trying to sell me one.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    I didn't buy one but saw them at a show and I would say their quality is top notch. Also nice family business (although not the founders) if I needed a new jacket they would definitley be high up my list.

Can you chaps advise where best to shift a disassembled Norton Commando? My dad passed away leaving it behind, it's currently in pieces in his attic in Salisbury. I want it to go to someone who will care about it...

Quote Originally Posted by jjjamie View Post
    Can you chaps advise where best to shift a disassembled Norton Commando? My dad passed away leaving it behind, it's currently in pieces in his attic in Salisbury. I want it to go to someone who will care about it...
    try contacting these guys

https://www.nortonownersclub.org/

Blog Entries

I wish I'd persevered with it to be honest. The Enfield Interceptor I have now is much more nimble in the corners and a lot lighter but there's something about the Harley I miss. This may cost me more money.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by pugster View Post

Good call. :)

First bike since passing my test arrived yesterday. Here’s a quick pic.

Cheers

Foggy

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Foggy View Post

Cheers

Foggy

Excellent - enjoy I’ve previously had the G
    G650GS by biglewie, on Flickr

Master

Cheers

Foggy

Congrats! Going to the ABR Festival later in June?

Thank you!

Master

Cheers

Foggy

These are good bikes and have a strong following. I know a lad who took his to Morocco and then green laned it for years. Never missed a beat. I guess you know its an Austrian Rotax engine, same manufacturer as in the later F650/700& 800GS’s.

Enjoy

Master
    Flying into Nice in a couple of weeks and renting some motorbikes to go around the coast.

Anything I should not miss? I've not been to the South of France since a school trip nearly 30 years ago for poor kids so expecting it to be a bit different

This one looks a nice day out.

There’s a few great roads north of Nice and there was one I did in about 1992 but can’t remember the name. It went through a deep gorge.

Quote Originally Posted by bigweb View Post
    Flying into Nice in a couple of weeks and renting some motorbikes to go around the coast.

Anything I should not miss? I've not been to the South of France since a school trip nearly 30 years ago for poor kids so expecting it to be a bit different
    Check the weather up beyond Grasse to Castellane/Gorge de Verdon. Great roads all around there. (Head for Grasse, then the D6085)

Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    Gorge de Verdon.
    That’s the one!

Watch out for the painted signs on the roads if it’s wet, they’re (or were) much more slippery than those in the UK.

always good to stop in the village of Tourettes for a photo op in front of the signs.

Quote Originally Posted by higham5 View Post
    These are good bikes and have a strong following. I know a lad who took his to Morocco and then green laned it for years. Never missed a beat. I guess you know its an Austrian Rotax engine, same manufacturer as in the later F650/700& 800GS’s.

Enjoy
    My old Aprilia Pegaso 650 (which was dirt cheap by comparison to the BMW alternative) uses the same Rotax engine, a curious 5 valve single with 2 inlet 3 exhaust valves. I even bought a BMW starter to replace the original, straight swap. Very tractable it is too.

Quote Originally Posted by sweets View Post
    My old Aprilia Pegaso 650 (which was dirt cheap by comparison to the BMW alternative) uses the same Rotax engine, a curious 5 valve single with 2 inlet 3 exhaust valves. I even bought a BMW starter to replace the original, straight swap. Very tractable it is too.
    Really? 3 inlet and 2 exhaust would make more sense, surely?

I had the original F650 Funduro which was pretty much identical to the Pegaso, but with a 4 valve head.

Widest bike I've ever owned.

Loaded up ready for an early start tomorrow.

Off to The Nurburgring with a spareparts & another friend for

https://nuerburgring.de/events/categ...cycle/anlassen

Back on Monday.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Quote Originally Posted by andy tims View Post

Back on Monday.
    That is stunning Andy and I imagine a blast at the Ring. One of my favourite tracks to ride ever!

Quote Originally Posted by manganr View Post
    That is stunning Andy and I imagine a blast at the Ring. One of my favourite tracks to ride ever!
    Cheers. It’s a great bike.

I’ve ridden it on track, but I’ve never ridden the Ring on any bike. I’ve driven it a few times but the last time was several years ago.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Master
    Cheers. It’s a great bike.

I’ve ridden it on track, but I’ve never ridden the Ring on any bike. I’ve driven it a few times but the last time was several years ago.
    Heading through the tunnel? It’s literally less than 1/mile from me
    Enjoy

Back on Monday.
    What a great trip Andy, I don't envy you with the weather as it is at the moment though!

Master
    It’s grim down by the coast - safe journey

Master

Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    Check the weather up beyond Grasse to Castellane/Gorge de Verdon. Great roads all around there. (Head for Grasse, then the D6085)
    This is a great recommendation - I rode around that area last summer.
    Fantastic riding.

I'm also heading down to Nice in June. I'm going to ride down and my wife is flying.

Do let me know if you find any great roads, I'm planning on taking Route Napoleon down into Cannes.

Sent from my SM-G996B using Tapatalk

I've ridden around that part of France quite a lot & am happy to suggest routes, but a few questions first:
    What type of bike are you planning to hire?
    Do you want trips from and back to Nice in a day or touring in the area stopping in different places?
    What sort of distance/time do you like to ride daily?

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Quote Originally Posted by oliverte View Post
    I'm also heading down to Nice in June. I'm going to ride down and my wife is flying.

Do let me know if you find any great roads, I'm planning on taking Route Napoleon down into Cannes.
    The area is jam-packed with great roads - we have tried to get down there every year since 2010:

• Col de la Bonnette
    • Col de Cayolle
    • The route around the Gorge de Verdon
    • Castellane to Digne Les Bains
    • Col d'Allos
    • Gorges de Dalius (The Red Gorge)
    • Grasse to Castellane - fast smooth bends
    • Sault to the top of Mont Ventoux
    • Many, many others...........................

Some of those may be snowed in - early June, but maybe not this year due to less snow generally.

I've driven around some of those, and they are excellent

the route around the Gorges Du Verdon is spectacular as ther are 1,000ft drops in some places around the Gorges.

you'll be ok as long as not to many sightseers / tourists at the Gorges.

you could try and do a track day at Circuit du Var Luc, at Le Luc, which is not too far west of Nice.

If you've got deep pockets you used to be able to drive an F1 car there. a Ligier from memory. (don't know if they still do that there now.)

i know it's not a bike, but would still be a massive buzz

Also some great roads not far from Nice / Monaco

Sainte-Agnes to col de la madone
    moulinet la bollene to Vesuble
    lantoque to Luceram

My first ride out on the bike since November and did it feel good or what!!

I’ve finally made a decision on the suspension upgrades. Ohlins on order for the rear and the tec bike parts fork upgrade kit with progressive springs and top pre load adjusters on order for the front. They should both be here and fitted in a couple of weeks.

The only big decision left is tyres. Has anyone tried the Dunlop Mutants?

^^^Are the Phantoms not confidence inspiring? They appear to have plenty tread left.

Quote Originally Posted by Craizeehair View Post

I’ve finally made a decision on the suspension upgrades. Ohlins on order for the rear and the tec bike parts fork upgrade kit with progressive springs and top pre load adjusters on order for the front. They should both be here and fitted in a couple of weeks.

The bike's looking beautiful, Greg, and looking forward to hearing your opinion following the suspension upgrades.

Quote Originally Posted by Thewatchbloke View Post
    ^^^Are the Phantoms not confidence inspiring? They appear to have plenty tread left.
    Not particularly, I’m sure some of it will be in my head but it does feel pretty twitchy and does track grooves in the road etc. I’ve probably made it worse than it actually is but it’s there now. I would also like to change the look of them to something a bit more chunky looking.

The bike's looking beautiful, Greg, and looking forward to hearing your opinion following the suspension upgrades.
    Thanks Tony, I have high hopes for the Ohlins.

Craftsman
    Put Mutants on the old BMW. I have chunky tyres on the original cross spoke wheels and fitted Mutants on some cheap Scrambler cast wheels so now have decent choices! Haven't done many miles on them yet but loving them so far (but useless on grass).

Thanks Tony, I have high hopes for the Ohlins.
    Did you consider the Fox adjustable shocks on the Triumph options list?

More bike related stuff

Did you consider the Fox adjustable shocks on the Triumph options list?
    I did to be honest but I need higher rated springs and for some reason I can’t disassociate the fox brand with bicycles! Also, they’re Ohlins!!

I have read some decent things about the fox’s though, If I fell within the usual weight brackets I may have tried them but I’m a tad on the chunky side these days!
    Last edited by Craizeehair; 1st April 2023 at 23:14.

Quote Originally Posted by simesman View Post
    Put Mutants on the old BMW. I have chunky tyres on the original cross spoke wheels and fitted Mutants on some cheap Scrambler cast wheels so now have decent choices! Haven't done many miles on them yet but loving them so far (but useless on grass).
    I like the look of those

The new Fortnine video is a little... different.

https://youtu.be/a1T7NzCtWHo

Quote Originally Posted by Gyp View Post

Enjoyed that video, but maybe should have had a soft cheese too, alongside the 3 hard cheeses.

Epoisses would be a good choice I think

Also watched the Fortnine video on the Honda Rune, which was interesting

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by spareparts View Post
    With Pecco’s win, the R came out of hibernation for her own sprint warmup

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Such a beautiful bike! What is your experience with the reliability? I like to have a Ducati but once. This model is so much cooler than the Panigale. It is the best looking Ducati ever!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Gyp View Post

Im thinking in his bizzare and creative way its an April fool. Nearly met him at last years ABR rally. He was one of the guest speakers. If i would have bumped into him I would have complimented him on his “Which chain lube?” Video from about two years ago. If you have a bike with a chain and 10 mins free , watch it.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by higham5 View Post
    Im thinking in his bizzare and creative way its an April fool.
    April Fool it may be, but it has got me googling and discovering the reduction of Canadian cheese imports to the UK over the last few years.

Not particularly, I’m sure some of it will be in my head but it does feel pretty twitchy and does track grooves in the road etc. I’ve probably made it worse than it actually is but it’s there now. I would also like to change the look of them to something a bit more chunky looking.
    Yep...tyre voodoo is real.
    Once you have that 'feeling' something isn't right, it usually isn't.
    Unless it's just in your head....
    Have you had a good play with the pressures yet?
    Dropping a few psi can make all the difference, and can make a mediocre tyre work really well..

not sure what you mean by 'tracking' - if you mean it tracking in the wet then the tyre is doing its job displacing the water , as tifa said above try dropping a few psi on the rear (mine is supposed to be 38/42 f/r but i like them better at 38/38.

im using S22 tyres atm but will be changing to road 5's within the next month as they suit my riding better and last longer

not sure what you mean by 'tracking' - if you mean it tracking in the wet then the tyre is doing its job displacing the water , as tifa said above try dropping a few psi on the rear (mine is supposed to be 38/42 f/r but i like them better at 38/38.

im using S22 tyres atm but will be changing to road 5's within the next month as they suit my riding better and last longer
    I guess tramlining might be a better word? The seem to find and follow any groove on the road, pulling the bike about. Not confidence inspiring at all, I must admit that I haven’t tried playing around with pressures.

Master

I'm running Mutants for my trip down to the Ring. In the torrential rain and damp, they have been brilliant. Very confidence inspiring, and the carcass shape is excellent allowing for sportsbike handling. When the roads dried out, they have been grippy to near the edges. Mind you, the temps here in Germany are between only 4-10C, and the Mutants have worked really well on the GS. When I ran them this time last year on a normally suspended R1250R without the Telelever of the GS, I did not like them as much - they felt overly stiff and nervous. But on the GS, they are very very good. I am tempted to run these as my default tyre going forwards on the GS. I think as the weather warms up, they will be even better. In this cold weather, it is reassuring that they are also M+S rated!

Overall: highly recommended.