timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 230 of 357 FirstFirst ... 130180220228229230231232240280330 ... LastLast
Results 11,451 to 11,500 of 17807

Thread: More bike related stuff

More bike related stuff

Quote Originally Posted by GOAT View Post
    Cringe
    As you say (pugster) shocking welding…if you’re going to lacquer it to show it off, it needs to be good.(and not Rusty)
    Better welding and then nickel plating would make all the difference.
    I saw a used one in ocean bmw in Plymouth last month, it had deteriorated very badly.
    I’d love to ride one,
    And hope the new owners enjoy them.
    Im wondering if its been an issue on the Flat Trackers, pretty sure I read about frames being re-painted, I may be wrong though, it seems all their newer bikes now have painted frames.

But still what a jaw dropping looking bike it is.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Martylaa; 11th October 2021 at 17:19.

Well, I had a lovely weekend in Kent in the end... went on the bike as originally planned and all was well.

I did post a thread about it here, should anyone be even vaguely interested

Craftsman

More bike related stuff

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Well, I had a lovely weekend in Kent in the end... went on the bike as originally planned and all was well.

I did post a thread about it here, should anyone be even vaguely interested
    Looks like you had a great weekend. My mother in law lives in Tankerton and we've enjoyed many a good weekend down there, always in the car though.
    Having a stroll with my dog along Tankerton slopes at sunset takes some beating

Last edited by boundary546; 11th October 2021 at 21:19.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Martylaa View Post
    Im wondering if its been an issue on the Flat Trackers, pretty sure I read about frames being re-painted, I may be wrong though, it seems all their newer bikes now have painted frames.

But still what a jaw dropping looking bike it is.

A quick google picks up lots of refs to rusty frames, including bikes being re framed!

Quote Originally Posted by higham5 View Post
    A quick google picks up lots of refs to rusty frames, including bikes being re framed!
    Yes it does, it does appear to be a few of the lacquered ones that it seems to affect, but fair play to them it does appear they have resolved those issues, luckily for me the Blackout frame is powder coated.

I'll be fully checking it over whenever i get it and all i can say is i can't wait...

Master
    Yes it does, it does appear to be a few of the lacquered ones that it seems to affect, but fair play to them it does appear they have resolved those issues, luckily for me the Blackout frame is powder coated.

I'll be fully checking it over whenever i get it and all i can say is i can't wait...
    A lad I know has a 2019 flat tracker and there is no evidence of rust on his. Could have been a simple as weather conditions when a batch of frames were assembled and lacquered.

Quote Originally Posted by boundary546 View Post
    Looks like you had a great weekend. My mother in law lives in Tankerton and we've enjoyed many a good weekend down there, always in the car though.
    Having a stroll with my dog along Tankerton slopes at sunset takes some beating
    I had a lovely weekend, thanks. I could live in Tankerton very easily indeed.

A lad I know has a 2019 flat tracker and there is no evidence of rust on his. Could have been a simple as weather conditions when a batch of frames were assembled and lacquered.
    That sounds like an excuse TVR would have been proud of!

Quote Originally Posted by j0hnbarker View Post
    That sounds like an excuse TVR would have been proud of!
    That smacks of a workforce who dont care and poor quality control.

When youre paying you whack for a bike, youd expect those building it to take pride in their work and highlight any blemishes. You certainly wouldnt expect the painter to carry on regardless.

A few shots from last weekend in Wales, from around the centre down to the Brecons:

More bike related stuff

Well I’ve just got back from a visit to Bolton to CCM, decided to go and see them all in the flesh and have a good look at them up close and see the different styles.

Initially I had wanted the Blackout but when I initially enquired I was told they had gone and to have a look at the Street Tracker, so I put a deposit down on one and then had doubts. They then contacted me to say they had a cancelled Blackout so I swapped my order over.

However the last week or so I’ve had doubts, will I be going off-road on the bike, do I need that second seat and also I really need to sit on them both and see how they feel before deciding.

So I turned up today and got talking to a member of their staff called Craig (top guy to talk bikes with) told him my situation and dilemma. Then spent a good while looking over and sitting on the bikes, listening to them start up with that glorious engine/exhaust sound and also had a look inside the factory.

All I can say is my mind is set now, I have no qualms about the bikes or any potential issues and also they were more than accommodating when I asked to switch my order back to the Street Tracker, it’s gorgeous up close and felt the better more comfortable bike when I sat on it, pleasantly surprised how comfortable the seat is on it as well.

Unfortunately couldn’t take any pics in the factory but the place looked well run and setup nicely, lots of bikes at different stages.
    Anyway here’s a few shots of the bikes in the showroom.

The one i have gone for in the end.

Also looks like another motor fanatic is interested in their brand as well, they said he called in last week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Martylaa; 12th October 2021 at 14:47.

Quote Originally Posted by pugster View Post
    that welding is shocking , never mind the rusting.
    That particular bit of welding is not great, but tig welding is by hand so there will be some variation in quality.

The corrosion is something CCM are putting right under warranty. Either a strip down & re-lacquer, or paint (which might be a better long term solution than lacquer) or in some cases I believe they have swapped the frame.

Requires a trip back to the factory either way.

I have a couple of small rust spots on my frame - doesn't spoil my enjoyment of the bike in the least.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

They may be prepared to get if powder coated for you if you ask as its probably the cheapest option for them.

Quote Originally Posted by andy tims View Post
    That particular bit of welding is not great, but tig welding is by hand so there will be some variation in quality.

The corrosion is something CCM are putting right under warranty. Either a strip down & re-lacquer, or paint (which might be a better long term solution than lacquer) or in some cases I believe they have swapped the frame.

Requires a trip back to the factory either way.

I have a couple of small rust spots on my frame - doesn't spoil my enjoyment of the bike in the least.
    that bottom weld should not have got through inspection on what is supposed to be a premium handbuilt bike , any welding ive done in the past would have been laughed at and thrown back at me looking like that.
    if they have offered to put it right for free then its all good.

Master
    Well Ive just got back from a visit to Bolton to CCM, decided to go and see them all in the flesh and have a good look at them up close and see the different styles.

Initially I had wanted the Blackout but when I initially enquired I was told they had gone and to have a look at the Street Tracker, so I put a deposit down on one and then had doubts. They then contacted me to say they had a cancelled Blackout so I swapped my order over.

However the last week or so Ive had doubts, will I be going off-road on the bike, do I need that second seat and also I really need to sit on them both and see how they feel before deciding.

So I turned up today and got talking to a member of their staff called Craig (top guy to talk bikes with) told him my situation and dilemma. Then spent a good while looking over and sitting on the bikes, listening to them start up with that glorious engine/exhaust sound and also had a look inside the factory.

All I can say is my mind is set now, I have no qualms about the bikes or any potential issues and also they were more than accommodating when I asked to switch my order back to the Street Tracker, its gorgeous up close and felt the better more comfortable bike when I sat on it, pleasantly surprised how comfortable the seat is on it as well.

Unfortunately couldnt take any pics in the factory but the place looked well run and setup nicely, lots of bikes at different stages.

Also looks like another motor fanatic is interested in their brand as well, they said he called in last week.
    [IMG]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com

So now you need a CCM reg plate , nearly every one I see is xxxx CCM. I guess the lead time allows you to peruse the DVLA section . A lad I know runs a company that manufactures PPF kits for CCMs . He bought a very early flat tracker and created cad files from that.

Here is a link to his website which also has some spitfire type graphics via his e bay site

https://armourfactory.co.uk/

No affiliation other than I have been to his unit which is usually full of exotica being wrapped or ppfd.

Steve

So now you need a CCM reg plate , nearly every one I see is xxxx CCM. I guess the lead time allows you to peruse the DVLA section . A lad I know runs a company that manufactures PPF kits for CCMs . He bought a very early flat tracker and created cad files from that.

Here is a link to his website which also has some spitfire type graphics via his e bay site

https://armourfactory.co.uk/

No affiliation other than I have been to his unit which is usually full of exotica being wrapped or ppfd.

Steve
    Thanks, with regards to the licence plate itll just be whatever it comes with tbh.

Have to say I have no idea what a PPF kit is and Im not sure hat I should be looking for on that website you linked?

Gonna stick my head above the pavement.
    But I really can't see what the CCM thing is all about. I really can't.
    Underpowered, impractical and overpriced old tech...looks kind of Ok...but that's about it.
    Great for a second or third bike to pop to Starbucks maybe, but a bit of a nightmare for anything else.

More bike related stuff

Quote Originally Posted by Tifa View Post
    Underpowered, impractical and overpriced old tech...looks kind of Ok...but that's about it.
    Great for a second or third bike to pop to Starbucks maybe, but a bit of a nightmare for anything else.
    I get that, it would be a boring world if we all had the same taste, but for me they really are a thing of beauty and sound amazing as well, tbh mine will be a second bike for leisurely relaxed rides out, I have a Ducati Multi which has all the bells and whistles on for when Im wanting that extra zip and going away for days.

Last edited by Martylaa; 12th October 2021 at 21:20.

Master
    I agree it's definitely a second bike and as long as I can ride it I will keep my Blade, but if I could get a second bike in under the radar it would be a CCM.

I saw one a couple of years ago I think (it was on a club bike ride so must have been before lockdown), when they were perhaps more basic than now, and I loved it albeit it did have a "built in my shed" charm about it.

I think the power is spot on for what it is...definitely on my want list (that will no doubt remain sadly unfulfilled like most things )

Its an ideal bike for many things but not suited to others.

You certainly wouldnt want to go touring on it or any great distance but for a Sunday morning ride out or a track day on smaller tracks, it would be a hoot.

Its definitely horses for courses but we really dont need big bikes on the road these days.

Looks like Saturday is going to be lovely weather down here in the south east, so I'm going to take a ride out to the Silver Ball Cafe in Royston for a spot of lunch. If anyone fancies joining me just drop me a PM or text.

Master
    As Im under doctors orders to get some weight back on. I thought Id take a test ride on a new speed master whilst my Ducati was getting a service.
    If any of you ever get the chance to ride to Llanrwst in N Wales give the Tir-a- mor chippy a try. You wont regret it

Quote Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
    As Im under doctors orders to get some weight back on. I thought Id take a test ride on a new speed master whilst my Ducati was getting a service.
    If any of you ever get the chance to ride to Llanrwst in N Wales give the Tir-a- mor chippy a try. You wont regret it
    Looks good, Id be interested to hear your thoughts on the new Speed master, did you have long enough to feel if the improvements are noticeable?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Craizeehair View Post
    Looks good, Id be interested to hear your thoughts on the new Speed master, did you have long enough to feel if the improvements are noticeable?
    I did around 50 miles, and to be honest it felt much like my 18 month old version. One thing that came up though, was that it reminded me of how crap the triumph final gearing is. The gearing is a total mystery to me.

Standard its 17t front and 37t rear. This gives a theoretical top speed of 144 mph on a bike that is restricted to 112 mph. Its so high geared that you just cant use 5th and 6th on country roads.

My own bike is geared 16t and 39t and is so much more usable, it pulls harder in the mid range, and also does more MPG as you can use 5th and 6th a lot more.

Quote Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
    I did around 50 miles, and to be honest it felt much like my 18 month old version. One thing that came up though, was that it reminded me of how crap the triumph final gearing is. The gearing is a total mystery to me.

Standard its 17t front and 37t rear. This gives a theoretical top speed of 144 mph on a bike that is restricted to 112 mph. Its so high geared that you just cant use 5th and 6th on country roads.

My own bike is geared 16t and 39t and is so much more usable, it pulls harder in the mid range, and also does more MPG as you can use 5th and 6th a lot more.
    Thank you, sounds like a job worth doing but well beyond my capabilities!

Quote Originally Posted by Craizeehair View Post
    Thank you, sounds like a job worth doing but well beyond my capabilities!
    Changing the gearing is well beyond your capabilities? I do worry for the kids of today!

Quote Originally Posted by Gyp View Post
    Changing the gearing is well beyond your capabilities? I do worry for the kids of today!
    Be afraid, be very afraid!

To be fair, I probably could do it, well beyond my capabilities is a bit strong. I do like to tinker but not generally anything too involved.

Master
    Had a slight change of heart with the Streetfighter and ended up picking this up today.
    Nickname is fat arse!

Wow! That is lovely. Tuono is the top of the game.... Still prefer my Streetfighter though because its fully analogue without any digital wizardry! You actually ride how you ride!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by manganr View Post
    Wow! That is lovely. Tuono is the top of the game.... Still prefer my Streetfighter though because its fully analogue without any digital wizardry! You actually ride how you ride!
    Yep agree but i need the help!
    Plans for it to date are replacement seat in black.
    Wheels off over winter and powder coat in anthracite or black.
    Tail tidy already fitted so new plate ordered.
    New pillion seat to aid with luggage other than that it will stay off the bike.
    Thats about it for now,maybe a new Akra slip on but initial thoughts are the stock pipe sounds bloody lovely.
    Last edited by waiteu2; 14th October 2021 at 21:58.

More bike related stuff

Edited
    Last edited by Lammylee; 14th October 2021 at 22:51.

Quote Originally Posted by waiteu2 View Post
    Yep agree but i need the help!
    Plans for it to date are replacement seat in black.
    Wheels off over winter and powder coat in anthracite or black.
    Tail tidy already fitted so new plate ordered.
    New pillion seat to aid with luggage other than that it will stay off the bike.
    Thats about it for now,maybe a new Akra slip on but initial thoughts are the stock pipe sounds bloody lovely.
    The red wheels look amazing Waititu2! Will be interested to see the change! Not sure I'd do that. Probably one of the best looking bikes on the market imho!!

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    That smacks of a workforce who dont care and poor quality control.

When youre paying you whack for a bike, youd expect those building it to take pride in their work and highlight any blemishes. You certainly wouldnt expect the painter to carry on regardless.
    Made in China, assembled in Bolton.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by manganr View Post
    The red wheels look amazing Waititu2! Will be interested to see the change! Not sure I'd do that. Probably one of the best looking bikes on the market imho!!<br>
    <br>
    Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk
    <br>I wasnt drawn to this colour scheme at all prefering the 2020 in particular or the 2016 version.<br>Cant have it all though but loved this pic i found and thought it pretty much was ideal.<br><br><br>

Wow what a good looking retro bike Kawasaki have just released.
    Ill be very interested in seeing the ride reviews on this one.
    Kawasaki Z650 RS.

Quote Originally Posted by Lammylee View Post
    Made in China, assembled in Bolton.
    Throw away comment, or something you're claiming as a fact?
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Quote Originally Posted by waiteu2 View Post
    Had a slight change of heart with the Streetfighter and ended up picking this up today.
    Nickname is fat arse!

On my list of potential future purchases - it's always at the top or second when it comes to reviews/comparisons of bikes in the same sector.

Wow what a good looking retro bike Kawasaki have just released.
    Ill be very interested in seeing the ride reviews on this one.
    Kawasaki Z650 RS.
    About 7.5k with about 70bhp on tap so similar power to that claimed for the original Z650.

Im tempted but keep looking at second hand 900RSs at similar money.

About 7.5k with about 70bhp on tap so similar power to that claimed for the original Z650.

Im tempted but keep looking at second hand 900RSs at similar money.
    Yeah, spoke to our local Kawasaki dealer and he said they are expecting them to be a good seller, said hed already sold two and they dont even have them in store yet?

I was out at Whitby yesterday and passed these two bikes, original and new model.

Kawasaki have done a very good job of reincarnation of a pivotal bike in history.

I know someone who used to open the imported crates and assemble the parts.

Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    Kawasaki have done a very good job of reincarnation of a pivotal bike in history.
    I just wish the new bikes had the original handlebars!

- - - Updated - - -

I just wish the new bikes had the original handlebars!

Yeah, spoke to our local Kawasaki dealer and he said they are expecting them to be a good seller, said hed already sold two and they dont even have them in store yet?

I was out at Whitby yesterday and passed these two bikes, original and new model.

Id happily have that pair in the garage!

I could then go on and add a pair of old and new 650s!

I think CCM are using the old 600/610/630 series Husqvarna engines that were from the era when BMW owned Husqvarna- I might be wrong but I think it’s the same motor as may be doing the rounds in the SWM trail/enduro bikes currently on sale, not sure if the motors are built in the old BMW funded Italian factory or Far East. Quite old tech.
    One thing they are not, is the current (and fabulous) KTM/Husqvarna LC4 engines of 693 cc and approx 74 bhp that are found in the Husqvarna 701e/sm and KTM 690 enduro.
    Husqvarna and KTM are one and the same these days of course.
    Last edited by GOAT; 15th October 2021 at 16:03.

I very nearly pulled the trigger on one of the new Z900RS' - lovely bike that offers all of the power one would ever need with such a cool modern twist on a classic aesthetic.

Then i decided to buy a Gixxer and a Ducati Diavel... sometimes motorbiking just makes no sense lol.

Sent from my SM-T870 using Tapatalk

More bike related stuff

Quote Originally Posted by oliverte View Post
    I very nearly pulled the trigger on one of the new Z900RS' - lovely bike that offers all of the power one would ever need with such a cool modern twist on a classic aesthetic.

Then i decided to buy a Gixxer and a Ducati Diavel... sometimes motorbiking just makes no sense lol.

Sent from my SM-T870 using Tapatalk
    Tell me about it, Ive just enquired about a Buell Lightning for sale!

Well Ive just got back from a visit to Bolton to CCM, decided to go and see them all in the flesh and have a good look at them up close and see the different styles.

However the last week or so Ive had doubts, will I be going off-road on the bike, do I need that second seat and also I really need to sit on them both and see how they feel before deciding.

All I can say is my mind is set now, I have no qualms about the bikes or any potential issues and also they were more than accommodating when I asked to switch my order back to the Street Tracker, its gorgeous up close and felt the better more comfortable bike when I sat on it, pleasantly surprised how comfortable the seat is on it as well.

Unfortunately couldnt take any pics in the factory but the place looked well run and setup nicely, lots of bikes at different stages.
    Anyway heres a few shots of the bikes in the showroom.

The one i have gone for in the end.

What colour did you go for? I have gone for the white/green and after seeing your pics I think its the best😀

I’d happily have that pair in the garage!

I could then go on and add a pair of old and new 650s!
    Thought you might appreciate this, but a neighbour of my Airbnb hosts in Kent had clocked the absence of a lock on my bike (I forgot to sling the bag it lives in over my shoulder when I set off) and insisted on lending me one of his; he also asked so nicely if I’d like to share a beer or two in his garage that it would have been rude to say no. And what a garage it was too, with not only a couple of old Bonnies (one complete with sidecar) but an all-original and absolutely immaculate Kawasaki H2 from the early 70’s. He rides it regularly, too.

Last edited by learningtofly; 16th October 2021 at 07:46.

^^^nice looking H2
    I had a GT750 kettle back in the day, always wanted the H2 though

Quote Originally Posted by GOAT View Post
    ^^^nice looking H2
    I had a GT750 kettle back in the day, always wanted the H2 though
    You may owe your life to that kettle. That H2 was savage for the day, but what set it apart in my book was its (lack of) braking power and/or feel. Fine today no doubt in the hands of the more settled riders we have become, but back then it was really a widow maker, especially on the wet. I was similarly fortunate although riding then the less sophisticated 500T, a mere twin 500 eyeing with envy the 3 cylinders because as we all know the grass is always greener
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.