timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 254 of 354 FirstFirst ... 154204244252253254255256264304 ... LastLast
Results 12,651 to 12,700 of 17667

Thread: More bike related stuff

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by waiteu2 View Post
    No its a '97 'V'
    Be interested to hear your thoughts/experience of ownership.

Cheers
    No, I meant is it a RR W model…… not important

I loved mine, it was a more comfortable, softer (relatively) model.
    You could cover distance quickly without getting off crippled!

You’ll love it unless you’ve just come off a R1M or M1000rr then it might feel slow

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    I also did a daily commute for 2 years, all weathers never let me down - it’s a Honda!!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by edzt View Post
    No, I meant is it a RR W model…… not important

I loved mine, it was a more comfortable, softer (relatively) model.
    You could cover distance quickly without getting off crippled!

You’ll love it unless you’ve just come off a R1M or M1000rr then it might feel slow

Ha yes sorry its a RR V year before yours.
    It'll be joining a '21 Tuono V4 Factory so the lack of speed wont be a factor. Just hope its an 'engaging' ride rather than outright speed.

They have indeed! Still got my old R1100GS and R1100S that I chopped for the SP1.

All their bikes are top notch. You will be very happy I am sure!

Looking forward to this coming at the end of the week.
    Should be fun!
    I have an RR-V!

Absolutely love it. So much fun. Fast, light, sounds amazing and (biased opinion) proper vintage cool nowadays.

Here’s mine last year

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Plake View Post
    I have an RR-V!

Absolutely love it. So much fun. Fast, light, sounds amazing and (biased opinion) proper vintage cool nowadays.

Here’s mine last year

Stunning photo and nice to see one on track.
    Really nice to hear so many positive comments just itching to get out on it now.
    Plan on giving it a thorough check over and keeping it as original as possible
    Fingers crossed the weathers nice for the weekend!

Master
    Stunning photo and nice to see one on track.
    Really nice to hear so many positive comments just itching to get out on it now.
    Plan on giving it a thorough check over and keeping it as original as possible
    Fingers crossed the weathers nice for the weekend!
    So that's three old school Blades on the the thread!

I love mine, it was a bit cheaper than yours as it has a lot more miles on it (and is an RR-W which was less popular due to the R1 launch) it but rides and scrubs up like new. Such a joy to ride, as I have posted before there is so much value in these bikes.

Top tip: if you fill up having gone on reserve make sure you put the fuel tap back in the "on" position...😂

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by SimonH View Post
    So that's three old school Blades on the the thread!

I love mine, it was a bit cheaper than yours as it has a lot more miles on it (and is an RR-W which was less popular due to the R1 launch) it but rides and scrubs up like new. Such a joy to ride, as I have posted before there is so much value in these bikes.

Top tip: if you fill up having gone on reserve make sure you put the fuel tap back in the "on" position...
    Ha thanks for the tip Simon.
    Going to take a bit of getting used to that's for sure coming from fuel injected bikes with fuel level indicators.
    Looking forward to going back in time !

Master
    Ha thanks for the tip Simon.
    Going to take a bit of getting used to that's for sure coming from fuel injected bikes with fuel level indicators.
    Looking forward to going back in time !
    Yeah so it's got carbs and a choke so you'll need to add a bit of choke when starting it cold as well...but IMHO when set up well there's just something so nice about carburated engines.

Looking forward to the pics and thoughts on it when you get it 👍

Top tip: if you fill up having gone on reserve make sure you put the fuel tap back in the "on" position...😂
    Unfortunately that tip falls into the category “there is no substitute for experience”
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Master
    Heres my old bike, sold now but its 1999, the last of carb versions, think RRX from memory.

Great bike, I would say more usable on the road than modern sports, but then I bought a newer blade to replace it!

Quote Originally Posted by Bluetinfloor View Post
    Heres my old bike, sold now but its 1999, the last of carb versions, think RRX from memory.

Great bike, I would say more usable on the road than modern sports, but then I bought a newer blade to replace it!

Are there any still fitted with the 16” front wheel? Or has everyone converted to 17?

Master

Thats a great looking bike,Love the colour scheme on these (other than the Urban Tiger!)
    Looks original too.

A run around Rothbury and Kielder today.......

Master
    Collected the new bike today, and had the pleasure of bumping into Enoch who was a bit outside of his normal stomping ground.

Quote Originally Posted by downer View Post
    Collected the new bike today, and had the pleasure of bumping into Enoch who was a bit outside of his normal stomping ground.

Love it. The Tiger range really is superb, and that might just be the nicest of the lot.

Shades of KTM, there! Is that really the 30l tank? If so - they have done a stonking job of disguising it.

Looks very good. Looking forward to hearing your impressions with some miles on it.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Love it. The Tiger range really is superb, and that might just be the nicest of the lot.
    Cheers. I've only ridden it home from the dealers but so far, so good. Tomorrow I'll be adding a couple of hundred miles so that'll give me a chance to get to know it a bit better.

Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    Shades of KTM, there! Is that really the 30l tank? If so - they have done a stonking job of disguising it.

Looks very good. Looking forward to hearing your impressions with some miles on it.
    Yes, in comparison with a GSA the tank seems quite compact.

Master

Tiddler compared to norm on here

Gents / Ladies I introduce my slightly heavier than a moped KTM390. 44 bhp 140kgs. Even whilst running in it accelerates and corners like a true lightweight. Great fun whilst speeds are nowhere near licence losing numbers.

[]

Master
    Nice to meet you Downer👍.. Bike looks fab, enjoy the running in😎

Master

]
    Downer there is a glowing review of the 1200 Adventure Rally in todays Motorcycle News

Steve

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by higham5 View Post
    Downer there is a glowing review of the 1200 Adventure Rally in todays Motorcycle News

Steve
    Thanks. I’ll have a look. Most reviews are very positive although several bemoan the lack of smoothness - in comparison with the previous generation 1200 triple.

Are there any still fitted with the 16” front wheel? Or has everyone converted to 17?
    Still got the 16” here. As you know, limits tyre choices a little but it’s the original…and how else are we supposed to clench cheeks as we dive into corners?

Master
    Still got the 16” here. As you know, limits tyre choices a little but it’s the original…and how else are we supposed to clench cheeks as we dive into corners?
    mine stayed as 16” as well, never had any problems. Got the forks serviced and k-tec springs for my weight fitted and shock was serviced and re-valved by MCT, that would have helped handling quite a bit

mine stayed as 16” as well, never had any problems. Got the forks serviced and k-tec springs for my weight fitted and shock was serviced and re-valved by MCT, that would have helped handling quite a bit
    Yeah I jest about the clenching. Handling is fine for me too, even at lunatic speeds on track.

Master
    Yeah I jest about the clenching. Handling is fine for me too, even at lunatic speeds on track.
    Mine is still on the 16s and I love the handling although to be fair I won't be doing lunatic speeds on track or anywhere else 😂

Mine is still on the 16s and I love the handling although to be fair I won't be doing lunatic speeds on track or anywhere else 😂
    It handles really well. I like the way it’s keen to corner. No steering damper required either in my experience, although mine came originally with a Harris cowl stay fitted which allows one to go on if wanted. I bought an original black one to put back on though, for the classic cockpit look.

Master
    Thinking about getting a KTM 1290 Super Adventure to replace my stolen MT09.

Anyone got one?

I'm leaning towards the S model but the R is similar price.

Quote Originally Posted by bigweb View Post

Anyone got one?

Not tried one, but everyone I have spoken to- think they are the bollox !

I've started to look at the KTM 1290GT...................

Master

Anyone got one?

I test rode the S. Build quality is poor, although the R looks fantastic. The 1290 is a very tall bike and carries it’s weight high (even with the new dual belly tanks). BMW 1250GS is less tall and fits normal size people, has lower CoG, better comfort for long days on road, higher quality fit and finish, and the 1250 boxer engine delivers more acceleration below 7k rpm vs the KTM. If you frequently ride above 7k rpm or are off road regularly, I would choose the KTM. Otherwise, the GS.

Quote Originally Posted by spareparts View Post
    I test rode the S. Build quality is poor, although the R looks fantastic. The 1290 is a very tall bike and carries it’s weight high (even with the new dual belly tanks). BMW 1250GS is less tall and fits normal size people, has lower CoG, better comfort for long days on road, higher quality fit and finish, and the 1250 boxer engine delivers more acceleration below 7k rpm vs the KTM. If you frequently ride above 7k rpm or are off road regularly, I would choose the KTM. Otherwise, the GS.
    It's about now that Tony should chime in
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Or the Multistrada V4?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by j0hnbarker View Post
    Or the Multistrada V4?
    I did an extensive ride of this the day after the KTMs. Great fast road bike with comfortable ergos. But it has no where near the adv or offroad capabilities of either a GS or KTM.

I did an extensive ride of this the day after the KTMs. Great fast road bike with comfortable ergos. But it has no where near the adv or offroad capabilities of either a GS or KTM.
    Fair play.

99.99% of these adventure bikes never go anywhere near anything other than tarmac though, so worth a throwing into the equation for most who might be in the market for something similar.

Master
    Mine would spend 95% of the time on the road which is why I was thinking S rather than R

I'm not super tall but should be tall enough that the height of any of these bikes should be fine. I felt quite big on my MT09.

One of the things which attracts me to the ADV category is the fact that they have expensive suspension on there. I'm quite heavy and I was likely over the ideal weight limit for my last few bikes.

I know a few older guys with GS1200's and 1250's and they love them, I feel like I have time to jump on one of these and like the more hooligan nature of the KTM's (I've had a couple of their smaller bikes)

I do like the look of the multistrada but I reckon the 1260 is slightly beyond what I want to spend.

The new Harley Pan-Am's have dropped in price though so might be worth a look. Anyone had one yet?

Or the Multistrada V4?
    The V4 does have a considerable thirst though, unmatched by the KTM or BMW

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    It's about now that Tony should chime in

I know I know new top gun and now I want a GPZ900R the original one from the 80.

Anyone here have any experience or good sites to join so I can start the research and hunt.

Thanks

Rich

Master
    Fair play.

99.99% of these adventure bikes never go anywhere near anything other than tarmac though, so worth a throwing into the equation for most who might be in the market for something similar.
    So let me elaborate on my experience with the MultiV4S: it has poor low speed fueling juddering and generally unhappy at speeds which the GS (and KTM too) were fine at. What the Multi did have, however, was the best aero of any adv bike I’ve tried: standard screen was brilliant - easy to use whils moving and very effective. The winglets down low gave a very pleasant controlled breeze and helped dissipate the heat well!

Mine would spend 95% of the time on the road which is why I was thinking S rather than R

I'm not super tall but should be tall enough that the height of any of these bikes should be fine. I felt quite big on my MT09.

One of the things which attracts me to the ADV category is the fact that they have expensive suspension on there. I'm quite heavy and I was likely over the ideal weight limit for my last few bikes.

I know a few older guys with GS1200's and 1250's and they love them, I feel like I have time to jump on one of these and like the more hooligan nature of the KTM's (I've had a couple of their smaller bikes)

I do like the look of the multistrada but I reckon the 1260 is slightly beyond what I want to spend.

The new Harley Pan-Am's have dropped in price though so might be worth a look. Anyone had one yet?
    I am 5’10” with a 32” inside leg. I can flat heel both legs on a standard GS with the seat at normal height. On the KTM 1290R with the standard seat, I could only get one foot down and the bike would lean over. The front of the bike is physically a lot taller compared to a GS or MultiV4.

The Multi 1260 vtwin has a very low standover height and feels smaller than the V4. The 1260 is still a great bike and worth a look at.

Quote Originally Posted by Stanford View Post
    The V4 does have a considerable thirst though, unmatched by the KTM or BMW
    Yes, I drained nearly 1/3 of the tank in the 2hrs I enjoyed it. Not good enough for a bike with any pretentions of touring imho.

Quote Originally Posted by Cavham View Post
    I know I know new top gun and now I want a GPZ900R the original one from the 80.

Anyone here have any experience or good sites to join so I can start the research and hunt.

Thanks

Rich

Mmmm..............I have to say - I think you're heading into the Danger Zone.

That bike was very significant- Kawasaki was producing (power) with 2 valves/cyl - what the others were getting with 4-valve heads.

If you feel the need, the need for speed - then....................................

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Cavham View Post

Thanks

Rich
    I sold my minty A8 earlier this year. Proper superbike with (by modern standards) very comfortable touring ergos. Gave an indicated 270kph and was still pulling strong. Great bike which are pretty bulletproof in terms of engine. The long lived 900 became the also long lived 1100 and shared a number of components. Suspension and brakes weak points. Parts are now becoming harder to come by - GPZone the best source for parts.

Master
    So let me elaborate on my experience with the MultiV4S: it has poor low speed fueling juddering and generally unhappy at speeds which the GS (and KTM too) were fine at. What the Multi did have, however, was the best aero of any adv bike I’ve tried: standard screen was brilliant - easy to use whils moving and very effective. The winglets down low gave a very pleasant controlled breeze and helped dissipate the heat well!

I am 5’10” with a 32” inside leg. I can flat heel both legs on a standard GS with the seat at normal height. On the KTM 1290R with the standard seat, I could only get one foot down and the bike would lean over. The front of the bike is physically a lot taller compared to a GS or MultiV4.

The Multi 1260 vtwin has a very low standover height and feels smaller than the V4. The 1260 is still a great bike and worth a look at.

Yes, I drained nearly 1/3 of the tank in the 2hrs I enjoyed it. Not good enough for a bike with any pretentions of touring imho.
    I'm 6'2" or so, so should be able to almost flat foot any of them.

I've always wanted a Ducati and that MultiV4s looks like it would fit the bill but I want to be somewhere around £10k rather than £15k hence the KTM

Price of fuel or touring range wouldn't bother me too much really though

Sent from my SM-F926B using Tapatalk

Mmmm..............I have to say - I think you're heading into the Danger Zone.

That bike was very significant- Kawasaki was producing (power) with 2 valves/cyl - what the others were getting with 4-valve heads.

If you feel the need, the need for speed - then....................................
    No, you’re wrong I’m afraid, the 900 was a sixteen valve engine. What they did in 1984, Honda repeated in 1991 with the first Fireblade.

They are still a good, useable classic which a couple of members in here own/have owned recently. 1990 models on have a 17” wheel and no anti dive which was a definite improvement.

I don’t know masses about them but they often have had a manual switch added for the radiator fan; the cooling system and electrics is quite complicated so the early models suffered from overheating.

Other than that, I’ve not heard of many issues with them other than the usual age related issues.

As always, buy the best example that you can afford and look after it. Prices are rising so you’re unlikely to ever lose money on it.

Master
    Just back from riding my 1968 Guzzi stornello 125 1000 miles.from Barcelona to Porto the lumpy way. What an amazing way to experience a country. For 3 decades I've been touring on motorcycles in Spain and it never disappoints.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    No, you’re wrong I’m afraid, the 900 was a sixteen valve engine. What they did in 1984, Honda repeated in 1991 with the first Fireblade.

They are still a good, useable classic which a couple of members in here own/have owned recently. 1990 models on have a 17” wheel and no anti dive which was a definite improvement.

I don’t know masses about them but they often have had a manual switch added for the radiator fan; the cooling system and electrics is quite complicated so the early models suffered from overheating.

Other than that, I’ve not heard of many issues with them other than the usual age related issues.

As always, buy the best example that you can afford and look after it. Prices are rising so you’re unlikely to ever lose money on it.
    Sadly - you are correct. I seem to remember Kawasaki at 'some' stage in that era - having the same horsepower as 16v bikes of similar capacity

Master
    I'm 6'2" or so, so should be able to almost flat foot any of them.

I've always wanted a Ducati and that MultiV4s looks like it would fit the bill but I want to be somewhere around £10k rather than £15k hence the KTM

Price of fuel or touring range wouldn't bother me too much really though

Sent from my SM-F926B using Tapatalk
    So your height should not be a limiting factor with any of the bikes - great. Between the KTM and MultiV4S, I think it is a tougher decision. The KTM has a broader spread of performance - only if you ride offroad, but the Ducati is also leaps ahead in terms of quality and finish. Ie, the controls on the KTM are very Fisher Price in comparison to the backlit Ducati switchgear. Touch points and finish quality are important imho from an ownership point of view on this kind of bike.

New copy of Bike magazine arrived today.

Their verdict on the 1250GS vs Tiger 1200 had me surprised, given their usual editorial stance.

Did a photo shoot for the press at 6am Thursday morning about Sundays Distingushed Gentleman’s Ride. That’s me on my 1978 T3 Guzzi California

New copy of Bike magazine arrived today.

Their verdict on the 1250GS vs Tiger 1200 had me surprised, given their usual editorial stance.
    Care to share?

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Care to share?
    Generally speaking they are extremely pro-Triumph, to the extent it can be a little irritating.

However, the BMW came out on top. Just.