closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 144 of 358 FirstFirst ... 4494134142143144145146154194244 ... LastLast
Results 7,151 to 7,200 of 17893

Thread: More bike related stuff

ive used it in the past and it works fine , that said if the guy doing your ACF50 is using an airgun to atomise a fine spray you should not need it.
    only advice i would give using any PTFE or silicon spray is make sure you cover your tyres/seat/brakes if you so much as show the can to the bike.

*you should not need it on a correctly lubed chain

Master
    In my experience, on a bicycle, it lasts about two minutes on a chain. If you do use it dont let it go near your brakes or any greased/lubed pivots, bearings etc.

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Quick question... my bike goes in for a service on Monday week, after which it will be getting the Freddy Trott treatment including an all-over application of ACF50. Going forward, though, i was just reading about GT85 - anyone use it on a routine basis and - if so - can you share your thoughts on the benefits or otherwise? I'm particularly wondering whether applying it to the chain after cleaning/lubing provides a bit of extra corrosion protection without any detrimental side effects.
    Its good stuff Tony and I used to use it all the time 10+years ago, but ACF50 is a better solution so the GT85 would be wasted if you sprayed it top of it (IMHO). I wouldnt use on the chain as it will just get flung / washed off. I would just use chain lube (not the dry stuff) after every ride, so the chain is warm, if youre worried about corrosion. Ive still got a can of GT85 in the garage though and use it on shed locks, disk lock etc - spraying into the mechanism keeps them working smoothly.

Hope youre enjoying the new bike, looks lovely. Still got not-buying remorse...

Quote Originally Posted by pugster View Post
    ive used it in the past and it works fine , that said if the guy doing your ACF50 is using an airgun to atomise a fine spray you should not need it.
    only advice i would give using any PTFE or silicon spray is make sure you cover your tyres/seat/brakes if you so much as show the can to the bike.

*you should not need it on a correctly lubed chain
    Quote Originally Posted by benny.c View Post
    In my experience, on a bicycle, it lasts about two minutes on a chain. If you do use it don’t let it go near your brakes or any greased/lubed pivots, bearings etc.
    Thanks and noted!

Quote Originally Posted by Matt8500 View Post
    It’s good stuff Tony and I used to use it all the time 10+years ago, but ACF50 is a better solution so the GT85 would be wasted if you sprayed it top of it (IMHO). I wouldnt use on the chain as it will just get flung / washed off. I would just use chain lube (not the dry stuff) after every ride, so the chain is warm, if you’re worried about corrosion. I’ve still got a can of GT85 in the garage though and use it on shed locks, disk lock etc - spraying into the mechanism keeps them working smoothly.

Hope you’re enjoying the new bike, looks lovely. Still got not-buying remorse...
    Thanks Matt. Regarding chain lube, prior to going shaft-driven I was won over by gear oil, using these little brushes to apply a light coating. By not over-applying it I never really suffered from fling, and it was by far the most effective lubricant I tried in terms of keeping any hint of corrosion at bay.

Oh, and no remorse whatsoever. I absolutely love the Triumph, and am looking forward to many happy miles on it. (Greg did get a gorgeous bike, mind!)
    Last edited by learningtofly; 26th September 2020 at 09:19.

Oh, and no remorse. I absolutely love the Triumph, and am looking forward to many happy miles on it. (Greg did get a gorgeous bike, mind!)
    Im sure Ive heard this somewhere before!

And on more than one occasion IIRC.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Gyp View Post
    Come on, sleepy head! Time to get up and have some breakfast!

Big day today!
    Time to get up?...7:30 am. Madness.

Waiting for my mate to come over and pick me up. The later the better so the roads can dry up👍

Quadlock vibration dampener

Heads up for Quadlock users - my preorder is actually on the way, apparently.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    I’m sure I’ve heard this somewhere before!

And on more than one occasion IIRC.

There are a lot of lovely bikes out there, Dave... no reason not to try a few

Quick question... my bike goes in for a service on Monday week, after which it will be getting the Freddy Trott treatment including an all-over application of ACF50. Going forward, though, i was just reading about GT85 - anyone use it on a routine basis and - if so - can you share your thoughts on the benefits or otherwise? I'm particularly wondering whether applying it to the chain after cleaning/lubing provides a bit of extra corrosion protection without any detrimental side effects.
    Cheap compressor, and small mini 'touch-up' spray gun. (Airbrush can be good too) 500ml of acf50, total cost about 100. Will keep you going for several years...you need virtually no acf50 to treat your bike.

ALL this for 90
    Compressor
    Mini spraygun
    Oil spray gun
    Tyre inflator
    Blow gun
    Flexi hose and connectors

There is NO way I'd be paying for an ACF treatment....it's so cheap and simple to do yourself.
    Last edited by Tifa; 26th September 2020 at 11:20.

Warrington, centre of the Universe and home of the Mighty Wire

Hey Tony, a quick note on the Dampener. I was actually part of the Quadlock testing team trialling these, before they went into production, looking for issues, etc. I've been using one for a few months now, but due to a NDA I had to sign, couldnt mention anything about it. I suppose now its in the public arena it wont matter much. Theres actually some footage of me testing it on the Street Triple RS using the dampener pre production in the promo video for the product, and a quick still of my rather untidy garage !!

I have an IPhone 11 Pro Max, and this is one of the phones where the camera was getting trashed when mounted on a bike. I have had no issues whatsoever whilst using it, I use a stem mount for mine as I want the phone central if you get me. It does raise the phone around 1/2 inch above the normal mount, but thats no issue for me. Dead easy to fit as well.

Stuart

Quote Originally Posted by cinnabull View Post
    Hey Tony, a quick note on the Dampener. I was actually part of the Quadlock testing team trialling these, before they went into production, looking for issues, etc. I've been using one for a few months now, but due to a NDA I had to sign, couldnt mention anything about it. I suppose now its in the public arena it wont matter much. Theres actually some footage of me testing it on the Street Triple RS using the dampener pre production in the promo video for the product, and a quick still of my rather untidy garage !!

I have an IPhone 11 Pro Max, and this is one of the phones where the camera was getting trashed when mounted on a bike. I have had no issues whatsoever whilst using it, I use a stem mount for mine as I want the phone central if you get me. It does raise the phone around 1/2 inch above the normal mount, but thats no issue for me. Dead easy to fit as well.

Stuart
    Thats really good to know, Stuart, particularly as Ill be using mine with the fork stem mount as soon as Ive replaced the top yoke nut for one with a hole in the middle! How did you get picked for testing, as a matter of interest?

Master
    Gt85 is a silicone mixture Tony. I use it on plastics and internal areas like under the seat. It drys to a nice fine sheen and is water repellent, but will ultimately wash off. ACF50 is in a different league.

Re GT85 I wouldnt put it near a chain as the solvent in it may adversely effect the o rings. For chains use either bespoke chain lubes or a thin coating of gear oil. As you say you are only stopping it going rusty, nothing else.

Thats really good to know, Stuart, particularly as Ill be using mine with the fork stem mount as soon as Ive replaced the top yoke nut for one with a hole in the middle! How did you get picked for testing, as a matter of interest?
    I thought a few pages back you recommended SP Connect over Quadlock Tony??

Quote Originally Posted by skmark View Post
    I thought a few pages back you recommended SP Connect over Quadlock Tony??
    That was because Quadlock hadn't released the vibration dampener, Mark. I also already have a fair amount invested in the Quadlock system (phone case, poncho, car mount and another motorbike mount).

There are a lot of lovely bikes out there, Dave... no reason not to try a few
    Tell me about it!

With four bikes in the garage, I keep looking at others.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Its always wurth dry chain lube for chains,always anything else is less or a myth.
    less mess longer chain life,I dont have to adjust my chain inbetween tyre changes of 5,000 miles.

as for you Beemer riders.

Master
    Tony, I have a proper Triumph stem mount with satnav pouch, I cant use it so its yours FOC if you want it, just PM me your address and Ill send it over.

Quote Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
    Tony, I have a proper Triumph stem mount with satnav pouch, I cant use it so its yours FOC if you want it, just PM me your address and Ill send it over.
    Andrew, that's really kind of you. Sadly I need to use the Quadlock mount in order for it to mate with my phone case, otherwise I'd have bitten your hand off.

In the garage today...

There`s nothing i like better than spending a Saturday in the garage tinkerin` with motorbicycles (other than actually riding them of course) - i`ve been doing it since my first bike at 17.
    Today`s tasks included replacing the stator on a spare CX650 motor, the one on this particular engine failed when i was in Scotland a few years ago but thanks to the legendary Honda CX reliability i still managed to make it the 475 miles (in one trip) home despite the battery voltage towards the end of the trip being so low that the ignition circuit was having a wobble at low revs and the headlight emitting a candle-like glow. I must have done in excess of 200,000 miles on Honda CX`s over the many years i`ve owned them and i`ve never had a breakdown so serious that i was unable to make it home.

To do a stator on a CX the engine has to be removed and the rear cover removed;

Here`s the failure mode - you can see where one of the phases has failed (the dark-coloured pole at 6 o clock), overheated and shorted to earth. That`s a fail.

Actually, this stator was one i rewound myself about ten years ago. I didn`t fancy rewinding another one because it`s a right fiddly faff and the price of new stators has come down to such a low level that it`s just not worth the hassle nowadays so i cheated and bought a replacement instead - note that the epoxy resin that i finished my stator with is not present on this one, it`s not essentail, apparently. OEM stators do have the resin coating..

The motor is all boxed up again, just a couple of things to tidy up to finish off;

In other news the NX650 that i have been working on is 90% completed.

It looked like this last week;

...and today like this;

...which leaves enough to do for next weekends tinkering....

Master
    Andrew, that's really kind of you. Sadly I need to use the Quadlock mount in order for it to mate with my phone case, otherwise I'd have bitten your hand off.
    This is what Im talking about Tony... Its part number A9510324. You sure you cant use it?

This is what Im talking about Tony... Its part number A9510324. You sure you cant use it?
    Sadly not. I use my phone for GPS, and it's in a Quadlock case that requires the Quadlock mount.

Master
    Sadly not. I use my phone for GPS, and it's in a Quadlock case that requires the Quadlock mount.
    OK... Im still on Nokia 3120, so dont know much about these systems...

If anyone on the forum can use the above, feel free to PM me your address and Ill send it over.

Master
    There you go chaps...

5 miles on the clock, gotta say Im chuffed to bits with it.👍😎

Thats a beast Enoch! Enjoy

There you go chaps...

5 miles on the clock, gotta say Im chuffed to bits with it
    I bought an R1150R from Woods in Abergele (sight unseen) such is their reputation and it was a pleasure to deal with them.

Enjoy yours.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Quote Originally Posted by E_2_Right-Force View Post

The last time I worked on and rode a CX was the 19th August 1987. Odd the things that stick in your mind.

It was 2 CX500s, made into 1.

The insides of your 650 look better than the insides of the 2 500s did, even back then.

There you go chaps...

5 miles on the clock, gotta say Im chuffed to bits with it.

Enjoy!!!!

Blog Entries
    There you go chaps...

Ha haha...about time too! Wicked looking bike, not surprised you're chuffed with it. If I thought I could handle the weight I'd be all over one of those. Enjoy. I know you will!!
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Master
    There you go chaps...

Congrats Enoch. It's a stunner.

The instrument pack looks very similar (identical) the one on my Scrambler 1200 - except mine doesn't say Enoch on it...

There you go chaps...

5 miles on the clock, gotta say Im chuffed to bits with it.👍😎

Its like a cartoon of the bike Thor would ride.

Excellent work, enjoy!

Master
    Glad you like it folks👍

Running in procedure sticker on the tank, says do not exceed 4000rpm for the first 300 miles..

4000 rpm in top gear = 101mph🤔 (so I was told by the sales guy)😈😱

Glad you like it folks

Running in procedure sticker on the tank, says do not exceed 4000rpm for the first 300 miles..

4000 rpm in top gear = 101mph樂 (so I was told by the sales guy)

Warrington, centre of the Universe and home of the Mighty Wire
    Thats a beast Andy. Hope our paths cross tomoz so I can see it in the flesh.

Stuart

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

There`s nothing i like better than spending a Saturday in the garage tinkerin` with motorbicycles (other than actually riding them of course) - i`ve been doing it since my first bike at 17.
    Today`s tasks included replacing the stator on a spare CX650 motor, the one on this particular engine failed when i was in Scotland a few years ago but thanks to the legendary Honda CX reliability i still managed to make it the 475 miles (in one trip) home despite the battery voltage towards the end of the trip being so low that the ignition circuit was having a wobble at low revs and the headlight emitting a candle-like glow. I must have done in excess of 200,000 miles on Honda CX`s over the many years i`ve owned them and i`ve never had a breakdown so serious that i was unable to make it home.

Here`s the failure mode - you can see where one of the phases has failed (the dark-coloured pole at 6 o clock), overheated and shorted to earth. That`s a fail.

Actually, this stator was one i rewound myself about ten years ago. I didn`t fancy rewinding another one because it`s a right fiddly faff and the price of new stators has come down to such a low level that it`s just not worth the hassle nowadays so i cheated and bought a replacement instead - note that the epoxy resin that i finished my stator with is not present on this one, it`s not essentail, apparently. OEM stators do have the resin coating..

The motor is all boxed up again, just a couple of things to tidy up to finish off;

...and today like this;

Love a Dominator, brilliant fun. This was mine...

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Gyp View Post
    The last time I worked on and rode a CX was the 19th August 1987. Odd the things that stick in your mind.

It was 2 CX500s, made into 1.

The insides of your 650 look better than the insides of the 2 500s did, even back then.
    For what reason is the exact date so memorable?

It sounds like it was due to a spectacular fail leading to to a proportionally high degree of angst, pain, and/or expenditure?

For what reason is the exact date so memorable?

It sounds like it was due to a spectacular fail leading to to a proportionally high degree of angst, pain, and/or expenditure?
    Hungerford shootings.

The rev counter cable broke too, though I don't think that is in the same league.

Master

...and today like this;

I had a Dominator in 2007 for commuting to work from Crystal Palace to Soho each day. Great bike for that. You could see over the traffic, it didnt have too many beans, and it never broke down.
    What more could you wish for :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yes, they had an excellent reputation back in the day, one of Honda`s best sellers at the time i think and powered by the legendary RFVC single which in itself was based on the XR competition-series thumpsters.
    I love 80`s / 90`s Jap bikes...

Master
    I have the Quadlock vibration damper on the way as well, Tony.

Really hope it works, as Ive wrecked two phone cameras now, one on Quadlock and one on the SP Connect (which was supposedly vibration damping out of the box).

Its telling that, despite the standard SP amount supposedly including damping, they still felt the need to produce a further damper more recently, presumably due to the number of failures.
    Problem is that the SP mount already wobbles in a very disconcerting manner but clearly doesnt block the necessary vibrations. The later module design is the same but with even more wobbling so its design didnt inspire confidence in me.

The Quadlock damper module looks much better thought out, and like it might actually work.

Trouble is my CCM is powered by a husky 600 single and it could shake the barnacles off a boat. What gives me hope is that Husquvarna singles are explicitly named on the Quadlock list of targeted bikes. Heres hoping...

There you go chaps...

It is an impressive bit of kit

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MadeOfCheese View Post

Really hope it works, as Ive wrecked two phone cameras now, one on Quadlock and one on the SP Connect (which was supposedly vibration damping out of the box).

Its telling that, despite the standard SP amount supposedly including damping, they still felt the need to produce a further damper more recently, presumably due to the number of failures.
    Problem is that the SP mount already wobbles in a very disconcerting manner but clearly doesnt block the necessary vibrations. The later module design is the same but with even more wobbling so its design didnt inspire confidence in me.

The Quadlock damper module looks much better thought out, and like it might actually work.

Trouble is my CCM is powered by a husky 600 single and it could shake the barnacles off a boat. What gives me hope is that Husquvarna singles are explicitly named on the Quadlock list of targeted bikes. Heres hoping...
    I fitted a quad lock phone carrier with the dampner to my 690 duke today, which is a big single.
    I've never had a phone mount on a bike before so have nothing to compare it too but I'm amazed that it doesn't hardly shake as the bike is obvs full of vibrations

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bigweb View Post
    I fitted a quad lock phone carrier with the dampner to my 690 duke today, which is a big single.
    I've never had a phone mount on a bike before so have nothing to compare it too but I'm amazed that it doesn't hardly shake as the bike is obvs full of vibrations

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk
    Good to know - fingers crossed.

Master

Enjoy

Got to love the eccentric Alan Millyard. Even the Velocette at the end of the video was a single that he turned into a V twin.

Master
    Got to love the eccentric Alan Millyard. Even the Velocette at the end of the video was a single that he turned into a V twin.

Andrew the guy is truly talented, his Honda SS100 V twin is a lovely modification. He has also turned his attention to mountain bikes , including making an internal gearbox!

Ps The Rocket looks stunning, enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by MadeOfCheese View Post

Thank you, Peter, and yes - I know from Howards Flat Tracker that the Husky engine is a bit of a thumper. I cant fit my mount until the new headstock nut is installed but it Ill feel better for having the damper as well.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by higham5 View Post
    Andrew the guy is truly talented, his Honda SS100 V twin is a lovely modification. He has also turned his attention to mountain bikes , including making an internal gearbox!

Ps The Rocket looks stunning, enjoy.
    Cheers mate..... saw a nice KR1 at Denbigh on the way to collect the rocket..

He's the George Daniels of motorcycle building, a true one off!

Master
    Took the bike out for a short spin today at four oclock as it was such a glorious looking afternoon. I then reflected as I rode I have a shedload of warm jackets sat in the wardrobe. Unfortunately I wasnt wearing those , choosing my summer leather jkt and kevlar jeans! Moral of story stick more than nose out of the door before kitting up when temps are in single figures.

Great ride though!

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by higham5 View Post
    Took the bike out for a short spin today at four oclock as it was such a glorious looking afternoon. I then reflected as I rode I have a shedload of warm jackets sat in the wardrobe. Unfortunately I wasnt wearing those , choosing my summer leather jkt and kevlar jeans! Moral of story stick more than nose out of the door before kitting up when temps are in single figures.

Great ride though!
    hard to believe it was hot in Wales this week I was only wearing summer gear.

for these testing times I am keeping my bike on the road this winter then should we have a sunny day or few hours I will make the most of it.

with that in mind I may cave in and buy a warmer fabric jacket,any recommendations anyone I like to be able to move

What do folks recommend as the best mesh summer jacket?

Im hoping to pick up an out of season bargain.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Quote Originally Posted by andy tims View Post
    What do folks recommend as the best mesh summer jacket?

Im hoping to pick up an out of season bargain.
    Really like my Triumph Waldron