TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 129 of 359 FirstFirst ... 2979119127128129130131139179229 ... LastLast
Results 6,401 to 6,450 of 17919

Thread: More bike related stuff

Master
    Blog Entries
    Guy on the GS forum selling a T120 from isle of man

Quote Originally Posted by emo72 View Post
    hi lads, im planning on flying to the uk to buy a bonnie t100, from ireland. if anyone knows a good bike between 4500 and 5k, please let me know. dealer or private is fine. hope thats ok lads. thanks.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmcb View Post
    Guy on the GS forum selling a T120 from isle of man
    got a link please?

edit....ive found it but i'll have to register obviously.

edit2... 1ts a 2019 model. im guessing it will be outside my price range. and i dont have the privilege to view the advert. ah well.
    Last edited by emo72; 28th July 2020 at 19:40.

Quote Originally Posted by emo72 View Post
    hi lads, im planning on flying to the uk to buy a bonnie t100, from ireland. if anyone knows a good bike between 4500 and 5k, please let me know. dealer or private is fine. hope thats ok lads. thanks.
    Might be worth dropping Freddie Trott a line. He's just put up a story on his Instagram of one he's valeted and said it's for sale.

https://instagram.com/stories/f.c.tr...89178273302531

Just a quick one if I may...
    Anyone ever dealt with Shirlaws in Aberdeen? Any feedback, good or bad?

In my quest for a possible new, more sensible, bike with touring capabilities, I spent a few hours with this R 1250 GS Adventure Rallye TE, yesterday, as well as it's smaller relative the non-Adventure version. Both very nice bikes although the Adventure, with a full tank, is a bit of a monster to manhandle, unless you are used to it.
    The tyres on both bikes (Michelin Anakees) generated a lot of road noise though, which was a little disappointing...I guess you could just put some music on

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Stanford View Post
    In my quest for a possible new, more sensible, bike with touring capabilities, I spent a few hours with this R 1250 GS Adventure Rallye TE, yesterday, as well as it's smaller relative the non-Adventure version. Both very nice bikes although the Adventure, with a full tank, is a bit of a monster to manhandle, unless you are used to it.
    The tyres on both bikes (Michelin Anakees) generated a lot of road noise though, which was a little disappointing...I guess you could just put some music on

Unless you are >120kg, enjoy non-stop 300mile iron-butt rides, and enjoy the lack of airflow in hot weather riding... I can honestly advise that the non-Adventure GS is the more enjoyable bike.

Quote Originally Posted by spareparts View Post
    Unless you are >120kg, enjoy non-stop 300mile iron-butt rides, and enjoy the lack of airflow in hot weather riding... I can honestly advise that the non-Adventure GS is the more enjoyable bike.
    Agree 100% - the difference in airflow was noticeable even on a moderately warm day.

Master

The Anakees vibrated and rumbled on my F700GS from new, So much so I took it back suspecting a wheel bearing failing. Another thing is the downside is they take Ages to wear out. I swapped them for Conti Trail attack 2’s. Much quieter.

I think my next GS might be the non adventure but I'll have to add the engine bars and spot lights. Silly as in the end the adventure seems better value imo. The road presence on the adventure, particularly triple black, is unrivalled, which is something else to consider for some.

Quote Originally Posted by higham5 View Post
    The Anakees vibrated and rumbled on my F700GS from new, So much so I took it back suspecting a wheel bearing failing. Another thing is the downside is they take Ages to wear out. I swapped them for Conti Trail attack 2’s. Much quieter.
    If I go down the GS route I will put different tyres on as soon as I can - I got the impression from the dealer that they won't sell the bikes with anything other than what's specified by BMW.

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    I think my next GS might be the non adventure but I'll have to add the engine bars and spot lights. Silly as in the end the adventure seems better value imo. The road presence on the adventure, particularly triple black, is unrivalled, which is something else to consider for some.
    The Adventure not only has more road presence but it is more comfortable...just big, though!
    The R 1250 GS Exclusive TE looks good in blacks and yellow/gold.

Master
    I’m really sorry, but I have never understood a biker who talks about wanting a bike with “road presence”. It is the equivalent of someone saying they want to drive a Rolls Royce Cullinan because they want to be the biggest SUV d1ck swinger on the road.

And that is perhaps exactly the problem with the image the GSA has amongst bikers. Be smart and get the GS. It is a better bike to ride than the GSA both on and off the road. And anyone who tells me the GSA is superior to the GS from a riding dynamics point of view instantly loses their credibility as a rider!
    Last edited by spareparts; 30th July 2020 at 19:38.

Journeyman
    this is one ive seen that i like. hope its ok to post the link. just to give people an idea of the style and budget. alas i cant get over to blighty at the moment.

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classif...%20T100&page=1

Daft place to park!

Master
    If I go down the GS route I will put different tyres on as soon as I can - I got the impression from the dealer that they won't sell the bikes with anything other than what's specified by BMW.

The R 1250 GS Exclusive TE looks good in blacks and yellow/gold.
    I agree - on both counts.

My GS is a lot better on the Conti Trail Attack 3's than on the original Anakee Adventures.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Daft place to park!
    Why, were you trying to get past?

Quote Originally Posted by downer View Post
    I agree - on both counts.

My GS is a lot better on the Conti Trail Attack 3's than on the original Anakee Adventures.
    Nice bike

I’m really sorry, but I have never understood a biker who talks about wanting a bike with “road presence”. It is the equivalent of someone saying they want to drive a Rolls Royce Cullinan because they want to be the biggest SUV d1ck swinger on the road.
    I had a plain Jane GS for a few weeks before deciding I made the wrong call and went back swap for the GSA. Not looking to swing anything on the road but after a few accidents, two of which were quite bad (one had me cut out of my clothes and the roads closed off) I'm happier if cars notice me in their mirrors - and not to think ooo nice/stupid/overkill/silly bike!

I had an R1200GS TE for a while which was very nice in a lot of ways but after a bit I realised I could have about as much fun (ie not all that much if I’m honest) and at least as good quality from a Honda NC750X for less than half the investment so sold it and got the Honda on a piddly 0% finance deal. Did not regret it at all. Amazing bike especially with the DCT.

More bike related stuff

Just back fro a 2 week tour of Germany Poland Slovakia & Czechia.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by vRSG60; 31st July 2020 at 01:46.

Quote Originally Posted by vRSG60 View Post

Now that’s putting the GS to its intended use. Would love to hear more about the trip.

Where did you track it? Not binning it would have been high on my list of priorities there given the need to get home!

Master
    I had a plain Jane GS for a few weeks before deciding I made the wrong call and went back swap for the GSA. Not looking to swing anything on the road but after a few accidents, two of which were quite bad (one had me cut out of my clothes and the roads closed off) I'm happier if cars notice me in their mirrors - and not to think ooo nice/stupid/overkill/silly bike!
    Sorry to hear about your RTA - I’ve survived similar with medics cutting my gear off whilst unconscious and closing roads. But it is clear that such accidents are not a factor of how big/bright the motorbike is if the dozey caged twat pulls out/runs red lights/similar to take you out. And if they don’t pull out/run red light etc, bike and road positioning is more important in order to being seen. Bike aesthetics / size has very little to do with this. And I say this having had my RTA on the GS with 2 pairs of aux lights that were on - in addition to my main headlight.

Great pics!

Master
    Yesterday was a great day to ride the South Downs.

If you’re riding round bends, no handed whilst taking a photo, it’s no wonder you’ve had RTAs!

Bike aesthetics / size has very little to do with this. And I say this having had my RTA on the GS with 2 pairs of aux lights that were on - in addition to my main headlight.
    Do you mean the high intensity aux lights that BMW say are only to be used in severely reduced visibility (fog), but most bikes have them on constantly?

I find these make it harder to judge the speed and distance of an approaching bike and suspect in some cases (not saying necessarily yours) may be a contributing factor to the collision.

More bike related stuff

Quote Originally Posted by Plake View Post
    Now that’s putting the GS to its intended use. Would love to hear more about the trip.

Where did you track it? Not binning it would have been high on my list of priorities there given the need to get home!
    The track is Nürburgring Nordschleife

The border wall & T34 are Mödlareuth south of Dresden. It’s a preserved section of the old East West German border.

Last edited by vRSG60; 31st July 2020 at 08:31.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Gyp View Post
    Do you mean the high intensity aux lights that BMW say are only to be used in severely reduced visibility (fog), but most bikes have them on constantly?

I find these make it harder to judge the speed and distance of an approaching bike and suspect in some cases (not saying necessarily yours) may be a contributing factor to the collision.
    The driver ran their red lights. No intimation needed that I was at fault in any way. I get the whole ‘be seen’ thing, but ‘road presence’ is from better road positioning - not aesthetics - especially now that so many bikes want the ‘all black’ look which is an oxymoron...

Insurance is a funny old game, isn't it? Just did the usual online comparisons, as someone with a London outskirts post code and 2 car claims within the past 5 years (but 2 years' NCD on the bike). The quotes I received varied from £670 to £6500, which is quite remarkable (and not in a good way). Anyway, my current insurers had already quoted £686, but when I called to proceed with the renewal they kindly applied a 29% loyalty discount; this means that I've now broken the £500 barrier for the first time, with a premium of £487

What I did find interesting is that, in the past, I've been forced to accept the classification of kept "on the drive" as Aviva don't offer the option of "private property" (the bike is at the back of the house, behind a locked gate). This time, I was told that I can go for "restricted access" instead; obviously I said yes thinking I'd get a nice discount for it, but it actually didn't bring the premium down at all! WTF??
    Last edited by learningtofly; 31st July 2020 at 09:54.

Sorry to hear about your RTA - I’ve survived similar with medics cutting my gear off whilst unconscious and closing roads. But it is clear that such accidents are not a factor of how big/bright the motorbike is if the dozey caged twat pulls out/runs red lights/similar to take you out. And if they don’t pull out/run red light etc, bike and road positioning is more important in order to being seen. Bike aesthetics / size has very little to do with this. And I say this having had my RTA on the GS with 2 pairs of aux lights that were on - in addition to my main headlight.
    You're probably right and it's in my head. Probably a placebo that makes me more comfortable and as a result confident on the bike but utterly meaningless in reality. After I've sold the GSA I'll probably be back for another in 18 months so will test ride them both at the time. I bought the last 3 without a single test ride!

Tony I'm jealous, my insurance just outside London In a garage was £1.2k and here now on the drive just inside London is... £1.2K -- I haven't paid less than a grand since I upgraded from the Bandit.

Tony I'm jealous, my insurance just outside London In a garage was £1.2k and here now on the drive just inside London is... £1.2K -- I haven't paid less than a grand since I upgraded from the Bandit.
    Damn!!! I recall the annualised premium on the Street Triple being £1400 when I bought it a couple of years ago, though. Clearly the heritage-style bikes aren't considered racy, despite their power!

i recall myself thinking it weird that my bike was classed as 'on the road' , even though its in a shed at the bottom of the garden with only front access - this aside i guess im doing well as last year i paid £287 for fully comp on the speed triple.

Quote Originally Posted by pugster View Post
    i recall myself thinking it weird that my bike was classed as 'on the road' , even though its in a shed at the bottom of the garden with only front access - this aside i guess im doing well as last year i paid £287 for fully comp on the speed triple.
    I think the problem being down in London is being down in London. Where are you?

Warrington, centre of the Universe and home of the Mighty Wire
    Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Damn!!! I recall the annualised premium on the Street Triple being £1400 when I bought it a couple of years ago, though. Clearly the heritage-style bikes aren't considered racy, despite their power!
    WOW. This years renewal for me on my Street Triple RS was a whopping £125.00 fully comp with protected NCB. It really shows up the weighting the insurance companies are applying for different areas.

Stuart

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    I think the problem being down in London is being down in London. Where are you?
    im in the west midlands (what would be classed as one of the rougher areas ) - kids stealing bikes all the time around here.
    you are right about it being different in london - its not that the crime rate is higher - its that they know they can get away with charging more (pretty much the same with anything in london , property,food , beer etc)

all insurance companys will rob you blind for as much as they can , the industry is corrupt as hell imo :(

Master
    Glad I don’t live near London...

Ducati £179.20
    Bobber TFC £211.68
    Speedmaster £160.25

1 years no claims on each....

I was pissed off last year as my insurance for 4 bikes went over the £100 barrier..

Looks like you might have been lucky with the timing of the trip...not that I'm jealous or anything!
    The bike looks the business - trouble with all that luggage capacity is the temptation to fill it
    Nürburgring is one of those things that, if you are in the area and the weather is okay, has to be done

Looks like a plane cockpit with the controls, TFT and all the data on the satnav

It was too hot for a test ride but I had to decide; been there done that...go back again?

Master
    Someone was enjoying his ride out today

Master
    Fantastic day riding through Wales.
    Highlight is always Newtown to Builth Wells.
    Fast open roads. Love it.

Quote Originally Posted by E_2_Right-Force View Post
    I was pissed off last year as my insurance for 4 bikes went over the £100 barrier..
    I think you're going to win the 'cheapest bike insurance' stakes with that!

Mine: £86.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

^^^ If your insurance company is the same as mine Ralphy the chances are that you can add additional bikes to your policy with no further increases in premium, they may make an `admin fee` though to do the `paperwork`...
    So i think you need to buy some more motorbicycles to see if it is in fact you that is at the No1 spot in the great `TZ-UK Cheapest Motorcycle Insurance of 2020` challenge.

More bike related stuff

I had a quote last year for my 83 gpz750. Because it’s had a lot of modifications, the quote was £6500 with a £5000 excess.

I insured it elsewhere, third party only, for £72.

This year I’ve paid just over £100 for the GPz and an Aprilia RSV1000 on a classic policy with agreed valuations.

Way back when, I had a Ducati 916 which was about £650 to insure. Adding my Zx9r was another £50 and my WR400 was an additional £7.

Master
    Looks like a plane cockpit with the controls, TFT and all the data on the satnav
    I don’t actually use the Nav6 (Garmin) as a nav unless for emergency backup. The phone is mounted into a Quadlock wireless charger running either Google Maps or the BMW Connected app works far better, and it is higher in the line of sight. Snapped by my pillion yesterday...

Quote Originally Posted by E_2_Right-Force View Post
    So i think you need to buy some more motorbicycles to see if it is in fact you that is at the No1 spot in the great `TZ-UK Cheapest Motorcycle Insurance of 2020` challenge.
    (I'm working on that.)

I have found that 2nd/3rd bikes add little to the annual premium on bikes, but not so on cars.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Had a nice ride out around the Peak District on my new (to me, it’s a 2003 bike) Multistrada today.

Struggling to find a decent source of touch up paint in the correct red. Does anyone know where I can get one?

An absolutely shameful attempt at a valet from the bike shop. No wonder Freddy Trott is booked up.

Quote Originally Posted by j0hnbarker View Post

Had a nice ride out around the Peak District on my new (to me, it’s a 2003 bike) Multistrada today.

Struggling to find a decent source of touch up paint in the correct red. Does anyone know where I can get one?
    It might not match an older red but Humbrol gloss red enamel paint from my local model shop was as close a match as it gets (or got).

Master
    I love living near N Wales❤️❤️