closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 69 of 357 FirstFirst ... 1959676869707179119169 ... LastLast
Results 3,401 to 3,450 of 17803

Thread: More bike related stuff

Anyone here doing the No Limits Portimao trip mid Nov ?

Master
    Blog Entries
    Planning my route around Spain and Portugal visiting different places this time.
    It’s going to be a long twisty route down from Santiago de Compostela but the next day will be even better.
    I’ve booked a little place in the spa town of Geres that has glowing reviews.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by casbar View Post

For all you IAM and RoSPA riders, get yourself signed up to your local Blood Bike group, we are always looking for volunteers :)
    I attended the induction evening yesterday for my local Blood Bike group. Next step is an Assessment Ride and Rider Induction and them I'm good to go. Looking forward to it.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by bwest76 View Post
    Planning my route around Spain and Portugal visiting different places this time.
    It’s going to be a long twisty route down from Santiago de Compostela but the next day will be even better.

Are you going off-road? It looks like it will be a cracking ride.

Sent from my SM-N960F using TZ-UK mobile app

Warrington, centre of the Universe and home of the Mighty Wire
    Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    It is. Let me know if you fancy a ride up there for some more

Actually, I just noticed that this thread was started a year ago - what a journey (literally)!
    Doesnt time fly. Tell you what though Tony, what an enjoyable thread this has been, plenty of info advice and all round good banter, unlike lots of other threads that degenerate into mindless bickering..

I have met Enoch at Bala through here, and the story there is I didnt know him from adam, but the pics of his bike on here were all i needed to go and have a chat. What a top down to earth guy he is as well with all that he has gone through and is still going through.

Well done for starting this thread,

Stuart

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by electorn View Post
    Are you going off-road? It looks like it will be a cracking ride.

No I had a nasty off when TomTom took me onto gravel once and I couldn’t turn back.
    Now it’s set to avoid unpacked roads,I wish I could though.
    Last year I met 2 trail riders who travelled light and went on all the sheep trails and that,it must have been brilliant.

Quote Originally Posted by cinnabull View Post
    Doesnt time fly. Tell you what though Tony, what an enjoyable thread this has been, plenty of info advice and all round good banter, unlike lots of other threads that degenerate into mindless bickering..

I have met Enoch at Bala through here, and the story there is I didnt know him from adam, but the pics of his bike on here were all i needed to go and have a chat. What a top down to earth guy he is as well with all that he has gone through and is still going through.

Well done for starting this thread,

Stuart

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    +2 what a year indeed, this thread has ignited loads of enthusiasm, encouraged us to meet-up, purchase stuff not to mention.....how many bikes for Tony too?

Cheers Stuart, and thanks to everyone for participating. Long may it continue!

Craftsman
    No I had a nasty off when TomTom took me onto gravel once and I couldn’t turn back.
    Now it’s set to avoid unpacked roads,I wish I could though.
    Last year I met 2 trail riders who travelled light and went on all the sheep trails and that,it must have been brilliant.
    Ah, I can understand why then. I am looking to do some of the trans euro trail there next year. Been on some of it around the Cotswolds and parts of it were tricky, especially on the 1090 Adv R! I have a few dings and a broken mirror to show for it but will go back for more.

Master
    Super ride up to Wycombe then back to Newlands this morning. Perfect conditions and great to be back on the bike after a month away.

Just about to take Bea out for a ride for the first time (I've already had both my son and my sister riding with me, so not a first in terms of taking a pillion). Ten miles out, brunch, and ten miles back... I'm not sure who's more nervous right now
    Last edited by learningtofly; 1st September 2019 at 15:30.

It is. Let me know if you fancy a ride up there for some more

Actually, I just noticed that this thread was started a year ago - what a journey (literally)!
    I'm away for the next week but certainly keen once I'm back. Think we are fairly local anyway?

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    I'm away for the next week but certainly keen once I'm back. Think we are fairly local anyway?
    Yes, that's why I mentioned it. There are 1 or 2 others close to us as well.

Yes, that's the man. He had on his NC500 T Shirt I seem to recall. He also mentioned he arranges European trips too. Nice fella.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stanford View Post
    Steve, unless he's changed his bike recently I think the instructor (Mark) was on a Honda X-ADV (that's what he rode on a recent NC500 trip)...and yes, he can ride
    Sent from my SM-T800 using TZ-UK mobile app

Just about to take Bea out for a ride for the first time (I've already had both my son and my sister riding with me, so not a first in terms of taking a pillion). Ten miles out, brunch, and ten miles back... I'm not sure who's more nervous right now
    That went well. We got to about 3 miles, after which Bea got off and walked home

Try the Moto Piston Rally. An excellent event. I did the 2012 Moto Piston with a large group of friends and everyone enjoyed it.
    After the rally finished i spent a few days by myself riding around Northern Spain tracing some of the route i took in 1980 when i rode around the coastline of Spain and Portugal.

http://www.mcpiston.com/ukpistonrally.html

That went well. We got to about 3 miles, after which Bea got off and walked home
    Hahaha need to practice your clutchless upshifts. Will smooth out the gear changes and give her an easier ride.

Hahaha need to practice your clutchless upshifts. Will smooth out the gear changes and give her an easier ride.
    Oi! My gear changes were smooth as silk.

Master
    Blog Entries
    My wife was quite happy to ride pillion on a dodgy 125 on dodgy Greek roads (covered in sand and pebbles) but resolutely refused to go near any of my properly maintained bikes in this country.

But I can't say I blame anyone for wanting to get off - I hate riding pillion!

Sent from my moto e5 play using Tapatalk

Master
    Blog Entries
    Some hardcore trail riders on the Santander ferry yesterday they where no spring chickens either,wish I could do it.
    Brittany ferries where again superb.

image storage

Master
    Oi! My gear changes were smooth as silk.
    R9T pillion seat is pretty small to be fair ... I had my son on the back of mine - and he was OK for short breakfast excursions.

However, part of the plan for getting Multistrada this summer was to get my missus on the back to do some touring and got to say this worked out much better than I expected. She loved it.

One thing I did was to wear handles round my waist for her to hold - they don't look cool, but helped her confidence a lot.

https://smile.amazon.co.uk/OXFORD-MO.../dp/B002XLKLCG

I mentioned those handles to Bea and will try again once I’ve sourced them. I was using the high Scrambler seat (with a bit of extra padding in it too) so I think seat-wise it was as good as it’s going to get.

I mentioned those handles to Bea and will try again once I’ve sourced them. I was using the high Scrambler seat (with a bit of extra padding in it too) so I think seat-wise it was as good as it’s going to get.
    Tony I have a pair of those from Oxford if you're interested for £15. Bought for the same reason and used once ha

Master
    Tony I have a pair of those from Oxford if you're interested for £15. Bought for the same reason and used once ha
    You young bikers! when you get to my age , you dont need to buy love handles, you develop them yourself!

All jokes aside my pal used one of those to take his lad around the TT cours , when both wearing full leathers, so nothing to grip onto

Never carried a pillion in 15yrs of biking - but appreciate that all your movements have to be super-smooth, probably braking and acceleration - the most.

I know an ‘older’ couple who used to do short spells with the wife facing backwards, leaning over the top-box.... taking photos of the bikes behind! The extreme of a pillion passenger having utmost confidence in the rider!!!! (He was ex-police rider, so was super-smooth, but didn’t hang about either).

So - I guess the rider has to be confident and exude that confidence also?

Oooh, yes please!!!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    Never carried a pillion in 15yrs of biking - but appreciate that all your movements have to be super-smooth, probably braking and acceleration - the most.

I know an ‘older’ couple who used to do short spells with the wife facing backwards, leaning over the top-box.... taking photos of the bikes behind! The extreme of a pillion passenger having utmost confidence in the rider!!!! (He was ex-police rider, so was super-smooth, but didn’t hang about either).

So - I guess the rider has to be confident and exude that confidence also?
    I think I exuded confidence even if I wasn’t entirely confident

Sorry to hear she bailed so quickly Tony!

It’s as much about pillion confidence as rider in my experience, and some people just aren’t up for it. Giving a proper ‘briefing’ before setting off helps, but the main thing is just time on the bike.

My wife also found a proper grab rail behind her (rather than on the sides) made it easier and gave confidence, an aftermarket one fitted so she could brace against acceleration and braking properly helped. I guess a top box would be even better.

I’ve taken many pillions and never really had a problem, apart from when my 23st friend decided to try and keep himself upright in corners- never had to counter steer so hard!

Oooh, yes please!!!
    Will either bring for the ride or can drop it down to you on a weekend. I'm back late Saturday afternoon.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt8500 View Post

I’ve taken many pillions and never really had a problem, apart from when my 23st friend decided to try and keep himself upright in corners- never had to counter steer so hard!
    I only ever tell any non riding pillion out on the back for the first time to look over my left shoulder when turning left and the right shoulder when turning right.

Or in the case of my son riding pillion, who was aged 6 at the time, look around my left elbow when turning left and the right elbow when turning right.
    Last edited by steptoe; 3rd September 2019 at 12:38.

Test rode this at the weekend, didn't want to like it but I really did.

Harley Fat Bob

Last edited by Vanguard; 3rd September 2019 at 13:21.

Some hardcore trail riders on the Santander ferry yesterday they where no spring chickens either,wish I could do it.
    Brittany ferries where again superb.

image storage
    Did this in May. 8th time.
    The ramps down to the bike area can be fun...especialy when wet!
    Seen a few lose it going up & down over the years. lol

Always had good experiences with BF. Excellent value for money...but stay off the 6%abv IPA (AMHIK!)
    Restaurant food is also excellent. Fantastic riding to be had around the top half of Spain, and down into Portugal.

Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard View Post

Harley Fat Bob
    They are rather good.

I considered one to replace my R1200R and found it too similar and only 80% as good.

I take passengers for a living. The best thing for an inexperienced or nervous passenger is a decent backrest. Makes them feel secure knowing they can’t fall off the back.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by brandersnatch View Post
    I take passengers for a living. The best thing for an inexperienced or nervous passenger is a decent backrest. Makes them feel secure knowing they can’t fall off the back.
    Great advice , but you rarely see an R9T with any form of backrest or top case. Whilst my missus doesn't like getting on an off a bike with a topcase as its a bit like getting on a horse, she felt uneasy when I took her on a bike with no backrest/ top case. I should add the naked bike was only a 250 but the absence of the security made her uneasy.
    Last edited by higham5; 3rd September 2019 at 21:18.

Yes, I can see how a backrest would be reassuring, but my 9T isn't going to be getting one

I showed Bea a photo of the strap/handle thingies and she thought it was hysterical. However, she did say that she'd give it a go
    Last edited by learningtofly; 4th September 2019 at 19:38.

Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard View Post

Harley Fat Bob
    I thought you’d added your name!

Great photo, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Gyp View Post
    They are rather good.

I considered one to replace my R1200R and found it too similar and only 80% as good.
    I agree it's never going to be as sharp as a 1200R but the riding position, styling and the sound when you change the cans is a pretty interesting proposition, I wouldn't want it as my only bike but thinking about it as something a bit different to have as well as my Triumph Speed Twin
    Last edited by Vanguard; 4th September 2019 at 10:34.

How do you guys find these large adventure bikes to ride on a daily basis ? I am 5.10 and although have had some big and tall bikes in my time I was lent a Multi 950 and it felt huge - so much so I felt nervous maneuvering it. Obviously they get better with practice but it was almost empty and without any luggage on it. Possibly the draconian contract I signed to borrow it didn't help.

Once underway it was excellent but traffic and a U-turn on an industrial estate felt horrible - by contrast my Hypermotard felt like a 125 when I got back on it !

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MB2 View Post
    How do you guys find these large adventure bikes to ride on a daily basis ? I am 5.10 and although have had some big and tall bikes in my time I was lent a Multi 950 and it felt huge - so much so I felt nervous maneuvering it. Obviously they get better with practice but it was almost empty and without any luggage on it. Possibly the draconian contract I signed to borrow it didn't help.

Once underway it was excellent but traffic and a U-turn on an industrial estate felt horrible - by contrast my Hypermotard felt like a 125 when I got back on it !
    I have a 1250GS. I'm a big/heavy bloke and I've quickly got used to it, and in fact due to the low centre of gravity on the GS, it's very well balanced at low speeds. Moving it around on the drive etc needs concentration more than strength.

You get used to them pretty quickly, I’ve got an r1200gs that I commute on through heavy traffic. I find it really manoeuvrable filtering and at low speed. I’m 6ft (not that it matters too much once you’re moving), and I can flat foot on mine. The only minor annoyance is the bar width when going through narrow gaps.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by downer View Post
    I have a 1250GS. I'm a big/heavy bloke and I've quickly got used to it, and in fact due to the low centre of gravity on the GS, it's very well balanced at low speeds. Moving it around on the drive etc needs concentration more than strength.
    Agree totally ...
    Multi 950 is lighter than my R9T but moving the Multi needs a lot of focus being so top heavy ... R9T on the other hand is a breeze ... all the weight is so low down ...

Master

This was a first today ...

Pigeon flew into headlight/screen when I was doing about 80...
    What a mess.... thankfully found jetwash about 2 minutes away.
    Not sure what next jetwash user would have thought finding blood, guts and feathers all over the floor when I rode off.
    Last edited by I a n; 8th September 2019 at 18:44.

Quote Originally Posted by I a n View Post
    Not sure what next jetwash user would have thought finding blood, guts and feathers all over the floor when I rode off.
    Wow, that could have been so much worse.

Quote Originally Posted by I a n View Post
    I had one explode across my chest once. I was severely winded, covered in blood and entrails and I had a lurid bruise. Luckily I managed not to fall off.

My count to date is a crow and a blackbird.
    Blackbird was a shoulder hit, a solid punch...no damage.
    Crow hit my little finger, damaged the nail. Painful, very painful.

My bird-strike was a pheasant and although it was almost at right angles to my helmet it still left me concussed.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

luckily my biggest hit to date (20+ yrs ) is a bee at around 70mph -which gave me a black eye , a bee also caused my best stopping distance when one got inside my helmet.

anything bigger i think you are lucky not to crash the bike , a pigeon in the chest at 60-80mph must be like a decent punch.

Grand Master
    Anyone seen the Facebook video of some stroker on his £44k Norton that he drops in front of an packed cafe car park!

Funny not funny
    RIAC

Grand Master

More bike related stuff

Last edited by 100thmonkey; 9th September 2019 at 10:31.
    RIAC

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by pugster View Post
    a pigeon in the chest at 60-80mph must be like a decent punch.
    I had a sparrow, smack bang in the middle of my chest at 70mph on a motorway. I spent 10 minutes doubled up on the hard should trying to catch a breath. (Nobody stopped to see what was wrong)

The next day there was a very impressive bruise.