closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 326 of 359 FirstFirst ... 226276316324325326327328336 ... LastLast
Results 16,251 to 16,300 of 17916

Thread: More bike related stuff

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by SimonH View Post
    Does anyone have any experience of the Honda CRF250l?

We moved into a village in the countryside surrounded by byways and tracks and I fancy doing a bit of green-laning.

Budget is very limited and I particularly want a light beginner friendly bike so the little Honda seems to fit the bill. I'm aware of the limitations regarding power and suspension sophistication etc. but for plodding along a byway it looks just the job.

Obviously there is plenty of info online but just wondering if any of you have some useful experience.
    Yes, I had one.

1 Power is adequate, though not much more than that, and you can usefully improve response by dropping a tooth at the front and adding at the back - I think I went from 16/40 to 15/44, something like that. There's no point adding an exhaust (Delkevic are popular) as they add sod-all power and they're really quite noisy, which you simply don't want on a green lane.

2 The suspension's rubbish - I re-sprung the front (about £80) but went for a new K-Tech spring/shock at the rear (about £450, I think) as the stand one just pogos

3 You'll need a decent bash plate

4 I put Michelin Trackers on it and they were brilliant

5 It doesn't seem that heavy, but picking up a 155kg bike takes its toll!

One word of warning - if you start to use the CRF with any degree of aggression (so, on about your third ride) you run the risk of killing the clutch. It's absolutely fine on road, but off-road, where you often need to feather the clutch, it gets destroyed quickly - I replaced mine at 2500 miles, though it's an easy home mechanic job and the uprated EBC clutch lasts much better than the standard. This is well-known in CRF circles, so be warned!

I repaired mine, bought a KTM, and sold the CRF which is what most people seem to do.

Finally, if you fancy a ride out in the mud, give me a shout. Not sure where you are; I'm in Surrey and ride mostly with the TRF. Happy to wander round some lanes with you.

You say off road is safe LBC but I used to go with my best mate and his family to AMCA motocross meets (my mate and his younger brother used to race but I only watched). A very promising young lad crashed and was killed at one meeting.

It’s much safer than riding on the road but still not without its dangers.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by SimonH View Post
    Actually that's what I was planning to do, but quite a few of the byways near me are pretty benign so would be doing those alone ad-hoc every now and then. But you never know when you are going to mess up even so! I do a bit of gravel riding on my CX pushbike and you never know when something silly is going to trip you up...
    I agree. Lad I mtb with has an E Mtb. Recently he visited Llandegla. The red route is a 12 mile loop. At the furthest point a rock hit his rear derailleur wrecking it. Pushing a 25 kg e bike was tough.

His takeaway was , he shouldnt have been riding on his own, a mechanical, he can push. A fractured wrist or foot would have been different.

Morning Guys. That's me loaded for a wet and windy ride through the gales down to Southampton Boat Show, I am working on one of the stands until the end of show now. Three and half hour ride down to be there in time for show opening, so I had better get cracking. The little 650 X is my choice of ride, I don't want to leave the 80GS lying around in Southampton outside for a week. She'll be fine and the tyres grip well on flooded roads. I will need to find fuel, not so easy around here before 07.00, it will have to be Tesco just to be safe I think, which means going in the wrong direction to start with!

Have fun and keep the rubber on the deck. I shall be gone for a week.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    You say off road is safe LBC but I used to go with my best mate and his family to AMCA motocross meets (my mate and his younger brother used to race but I only watched). A very promising young lad crashed and was killed at one meeting.

It’s much safer than riding on the road but still not without its dangers.
    Agree 100%, and I don't kid myself that bike riding is anything but dangerous.

I broke three ribs a few months back, am currently having difficulty walking because of some unscheduled ditch activity, and I cant remember the last time I came back from a ride without bruising, a cut or something else trivial. But I'm much happier to accept the (very) `frequent but minor injuries of riding off-road than the far more infrequent but likely way more serious ones of track or road riding. I've had those too and have very much used up my nine lives.

Each to their own, and ride safe.

By contrast, I stopped riding off road (enduro rather than green lanes) due to the increased risk of injury and bought an XJR1300 fir the road. Big, heavy and only moderately fast, it keeps me at reasonable speeds.

I do miss the freedom of off road though.

Master
    By contrast, I stopped riding off road (enduro rather than green lanes) due to the increased risk of injury and bought an XJR1300 fir the road. Big, heavy and only moderately fast, it keeps me at reasonable speeds.

I do miss the freedom of off road though.
    That's the other thing. I get to use full throttle, pull wheelies, slide the back and generally and play in mud. When I drop the bike I tend not to damage it - it's a KTM, there's not much of it - and parts are cheap if I do.

Quote Originally Posted by Longblackcoat View Post
    That's the other thing. I get to use full throttle, pull wheelies, slide the back and generally and play in mud. When I drop the bike I tend not to damage it - it's a KTM, there's not much of it - and parts are cheap if I do.
    Any damage I’ve inflicted onto my enduro bikes pails into insignificance compared to the damage inflicted onto my body…

A while ago I changed to just riding green lanes - and even on them I tend to be more focused on enjoying the scenery than the time.

R

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Master
    Well as per my post above, I am looking to do more off road, mainly green lane pootling, just bought a dirt (excuse the pun) cheap CRF250L so we'll see how it goes. Quite excited I must admit

Quote Originally Posted by ralphy View Post
    Any damage I’ve inflicted onto my enduro bikes pails into insignificance compared to the damage inflicted onto my body…

A while ago I changed to just riding green lanes - and even on them I tend to be more focused on enjoying the scenery than the time.

R

R
    If that’s at the apex, of the jump, he’s in for a nasty landing!

I’ve been asked a question by a mate who’s new to biking and has just traded up to a Triumph Scrambler 2006 carb version. The customising has begun, with end cans his first priority.

He’s found some aftermarket ones that he really likes the look of. The question is, are end cans that are compatible with the newer EFI models, also compatible with the older carb versions?

Google, as usual, throws up both every opinion going, but has led us to believe that the only differences in the exhaust systems are in the down-pipes, in that the efi bikes’ ones are slightly longer, and have a sensor in them.

I thought, if anywhere was going to provide a definitive answer, then this thread is that place 🙂.

If he changes just the end cans, and they don’t specifically say they are for carb engines, does he run the risk of affecting performance in a way that cannot be tuned out?

Sorry for the long winded question.

I would say in theory, yes the bike should be re-jetted or tuned for the end cans.

In practice I would expect he will be just fine assuming the new cans are vaguely road legal.

There is some adjustments can be made at the carbs (I assume) if needed. When I rode carb 4 strokes and end can wasn't a problem just a full system.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by hhhh View Post
    I’ve been asked a question by a mate who’s new to biking and has just traded up to a Triumph Scrambler 2006 carb version. The customising has begun, with end cans his first priority.

He’s found some aftermarket ones that he really likes the look of. The question is, are end cans that are compatible with the newer EFI models, also compatible with the older carb versions?

Google, as usual, throws up both every opinion going, but has led us to believe that the only differences in the exhaust systems are in the down-pipes, in that the efi bikes’ ones are slightly longer, and have a sensor in them.

I thought, if anywhere was going to provide a definitive answer, then this thread is that place .

If he changes just the end cans, and they don’t specifically say they are for carb engines, does he run the risk of affecting performance in a way that cannot be tuned out?

I’d be astonished if they made much of a difference apart from adding noise. Will almost certainly add minimal power, if any.

That said, it might well run better with rejetting anyway! Every carbed bike that I had always ran better after a tickle with the jets and a run on the dyno. Not best for emissions, I suspect, but my FireStorm in particular was night and day after jetting and dyno tinkering.

If that’s at the apex, of the jump, he’s in for a nasty landing!
    Nah! He'll be alright. His mate's gonna catch him!!

I thought, if anywhere was going to provide a definitive answer, then this thread is that place .

The exhausts for the carb and EFI versions of the Scrambler certainly look similar. The part numbers are different, but that might be because the later ones are supplied with heat shields whereas earlier ones came as separate parts. This would suggest that the cans for the later bikes would work.

Be aware though that the pipes for the later fuel injected scramblers, the Street Scrambler (2017-on)/Scrambler 900 (2022-on), are quite different

He could certainly fit them although he may need to have the carbs rejected.

The silencers are only pipes pro allow the exhaust gasses to escape without making too much noise. The only change it can make to the whole process is to alter the back pressure slightly. Too little back pressure causes the bike to run lean, whilst too much will lead to a richer mixture.

Depending on which (usually freer flowing gasses so lean mixture), an change in main jet size should sort things out.

This is all great info Gents, thank you.

So to summarise, it seems if the new end cans are backwards compatible with pre 2017 efi models, he can fit them but may need to replace the jets?

Master
    Blog Entries

If its carbs it will be best to get it jetted at PDQ or the like.

There is no point though in changing end cans if all the restrictions are in the down pipes.

Most times its best to change the full system.

Quote Originally Posted by bwest76 View Post
    If its carbs it will be best to get it jetted at PDQ or the like.

There is no point though in changing end cans if all the restrictions are in the down pipes.

Most times its best to change the full system.
    On that generation of Triumph, the downpipes are straight through, and the noise reduction (and catalytic conversion if there is any - model dependent) is done in the slip-on end cans.

Early arrivals to the monthly meeting of the Ducati Owners Club GB, Kent branch (about a dozen more turned out later):

T

I have a carburettor scrambler from 2007, it’s actually my second one and scratches the itch that my 1250 gs occasionally doesn’t .
    Both my scrams have had tuned exhausts (arrow and tec) and both needed the carbs up- jetting or else they lack top end and feel hobbled-as stated above they run lean as the back pressure reduces.
    Also opened out the air boxes and once modded the difference over standard is notable and nice- never got as far as a dyno or rolling road but the mods are all documented and well understood by decent firms like Norman hyde and Triumph twin power
    I’d also get the front forks fitted with progressive springs and better valves followed by better rear shocks
    Stonking fun when done as they have a character that the efi bikes don’t have imho
    Must put some pics up….
    Last edited by GOAT; 24th September 2023 at 20:27.

Quote Originally Posted by GOAT View Post
    I have a carburettor scrambler from 2007, it’s actually my second one and scratches the itch that my 1250 gs occasionally doesn’t .
    Both my scrams have had tuned exhausts (arrow and tec) and both needed the carbs up- jetting or else they lack top end and feel hobbled-as stated above they run lean as the back pressure reduces.
    Also opened out the air boxes and once modded the difference over standard is notable and nice- never got as far as a dyno or rolling road but the mods are all documented and well understood by decent firms like Norman hyde and Triumph twin power
    I’d also get the front forks fitted with progressive springs and better valves followed by better rear shocks
    Stonking fun when done as they have a character that the efi bikes don’t have imho
    Must put some pics up….
    That’s great feedback, I’ll forward it straight on to my mate. Thanks very much.

Master
    Picked up the CRF250L today.

At first it felt a bit strange not being used to it, the high position and big leverage from the bars making it feel quite flighty, but once I started to get used to it I started to really enjoy it.

Ride back was a mixture of main roads, ten miles or so of motorway and then some twisty back roads. It's great in traffic being so narrow and light, the motorway was just about tolerable (it'll cruise ok at 70) and twisty back roads great fun.

I actually like the fact it's not that fast so you have to ride it hard to make good progress, somewhat more licence friendly than the blade!

Got home with a massive smile on my face, I think this bike and I are going to be friends...

Can't wait to take it off the road!

Only downside so far is getting my stiff old legs over the saddle to get on/off it, but already starting to get the hang of that!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by GOAT View Post
    Must put some pics up….
    I have a Carb Bonnie too, local chap (TTT Sudbury) is a bit of an expert with them , mine's now just under 70BHP (at the back wheel) and has rear Ohlins. The front suspension needs a little work but it does handle nicely. My mate has an EFI one but the carb ones are so much more visceral and analogue, so much nicer to ride. Cheers, John B4

Finally got to complete a Police run Bikesafe course today, what a day and I feel I've taken a lot from the Police rider instructing me and another guy, feel much smoother on the roads especially with the twists and turns. I'd recommend it to anyone who hasn't done any further training after passing their test.

Opinions on the new GS1300? I think at looks like the lovechild of a VStrom and a CB500X. I'm sure it's great but in terms of looks it's definitely not for me. Was holding onto my 1200 and looking at waiting but I'll just stick to what I have now.

Master
    ^^^ I’m sure it will grow on me eventually, although the front-on view is definitely challenging. I like a few aspects of the new model but overall it’s another tech-fest which is not a major draw for me.

As for the pricing, it’s all getting a bit silly…

Happy to stick with my R1250GS which is just about perfect for my use.

Master
    Took the CRF out tonight, blast round some lanes then popped into Sainsbury’s to get an emergency supply of cat food

It was getting a bit chilly by this point so I put on the grip warmers…OMG how have I not had these before! Game changer!

This bike is so much fun. Could do with a couple more horsepower but as part of it is a project with my son that’s something we can play with together

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

The other side of touring!

Good grief-you have to admire this woman for her fortitude!

https://www.ninetowners.com/threads/...he-r9t.154123/

Quote Originally Posted by manganr View Post
    Opinions on the new GS1300? I think at looks like the lovechild of a VStrom and a CB500X. I'm sure it's great but in terms of looks it's definitely not for me. Was holding onto my 1200 and looking at waiting but I'll just stick to what I have now.
    It's 50cc bigger than the last one which is 50cc bigger than the one before and it ain't pretty.

Quote Originally Posted by Thewatchbloke View Post
    It's 50cc bigger than the last one which is 50cc bigger than the one before and it ain't pretty.
    Physically smaller, though, which can't be a bad thing.

It's lost its rugged adventure bike look but just like the latest Rolex, people will be queuing up to buy it to impress everyone.
    In all honesty though, I imagine it will be very good at what it's designed for regardless of its (bland in my opinion) looks.

It's lost its rugged adventure bike look but just like the latest Rolex, people will be queuing up to buy it to impress everyone.
    In all honesty though, I imagine it will be very good at what it's designed for regardless of its (bland in my opinion) looks.
    I think the majority will be coming to the end of their current PCP (or finished but signed up for the new model).

Conversely - a pal was happy to get a decentish deal on the outgoing model as he was over-mileage on his previous PCP.

I think BMW felt they had to do SOMETHING with the engine in addition to electronic doo-hickies to justify the 'new' model.

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Physically smaller, though, which can't be a bad thing.
    Realistically it couldn't have got any bigger!

It's lost its rugged adventure bike look
    I`ll wait to see what the GSA option looks like, i`ve never been a fan of the `ordinary` model so it`ll be interesting to see what they can do with this new one to make it a bit more adventurous-looking but yeah, it looks a little bit `stylised` rather than the utilitarian (but ugly) current model.
    Still, if it performs well what does it really matter what it looks like?
    It`s all a bit `meh`, though...

Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    I think the majority will be coming to the end of their current PCP (or finished but signed up for the new model).

Conversely - a pal was happy to get a decentish deal on the outgoing model as he was over-mileage on his previous PCP.

I think BMW felt they had to do SOMETHING with the engine in addition to electronic doo-hickies to justify the 'new' model.
    I still struggle to get my head around the concept of buying a bike on a PCP.

I know it’s just me and with the prices of new bikes these days, it makes sense for a lot of people, but it’s not something I’d consider. Each to their own though, I’ve no real desire to have a new bike so it’s irrelevant for me really.

Quote Originally Posted by Gyp View Post
    Complete Ohlins set up front and rear already on the cards...
    If you've not yet committed yourself to the Ohlins, have a look at Maxton.
    For slightly more money you can get a 30mm big piston fork conversion and a rear with high/low speed dampening.
    Amazing finish and quality. Built to your own specification, weight, riding style etc.
    I've used them on several bikes now, and wouldn't consider anything else.

Back in the '90s a friend bought an early Goldwing that'd been wrecked and he rebuilt it. I was initially dismissive of that bike - especially compared to my then VHR750R - as the 'Wing looked very unsportslike compared to mine, however the guy could beat me hands-down on the winding country roads when we went out together. His ability to get so much more out of what I had assumed wasn't a comparable bike was a valuable life lesson.

Then enduro/off-road bikes became my passion over tarmac riding and whilst I'd learnt to respect the 'Wings ability on the road, the possibility they could also be ridden on dirt had never entered my mind - let alone whilst carrying another motorbike on the back at the same time.

Valuable life lesson No2...

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

It was a lovely day for a ride so got myself out of my pit earlier than usual and did a loop through East Sussex and Kent with a couple (or so) of other Ducatis...via a couple of cafes:

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Good grief-you have to admire this woman for her fortitude!

https://www.ninetowners.com/threads/...he-r9t.154123/
    Thanks for posting that. An enjoyable read.

Cracking day up here yesterday so took the new (to me) Bobber out for a spin.

Surprisingly comfy and felt well planted on the road.

Plenty mod's required and will be started over the winter....

Master
    Yeh managed to get out for a couple of hours - still 22° down here

Saturday morning through to about 14.00 was spent marshalling on the Edinburgh Trial, Excelsior section just outside Hartington. The weather gods smiled on us. Just a few of the video clips I got.

https://youtu.be/sUsJY_bW3os?si=2v_HdOWaWeiLnAW0

Master
    Looks like fun…. So many BMW GS’s🤪🤪

Quote Originally Posted by Kairos View Post
    Saturday morning through to about 14.00 was spent marshalling on the Edinburgh Trial, Excelsior section just outside Hartington. The weather gods smiled on us. Just a few of the video clips I got.

The guy on the Matchless knew what he was doing (as well as a few others )
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kairos View Post

That looks brilliant, bet you were impressed with the GS650 that cleaned it. The electric bike was certainly struggling, brave to take something that heavy off road, its hardly a trials iron.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
    Looks like fun…. So many BMW GS’s浪浪
    Enoch had a ride in your neck of the woods today Oswestry to llanrayder YM on the GS.

We must have found the smallest ( grass up the middle) muddiest greasiest roads possible. Plus the heavens opened :( Next time Ill take the Lynclys to Bala road, it seem so much nicer

Master
    Can get a bit cold over the tops, but it’s usually a quiet run over to Bala.. much nicer than the A5👍

Master

More bike related stuff

Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post

I am regularly intrigued by how some are interested in how people finance their stuff. At the end of the day, if it works out better for them as everyones finances are different. Sinking cash into a depreciating asset is rarely a wise use of capital if you can reinvest it elsewhere. Anyways, I prefer to not get drawn into this sub-topic!

The current Liquid Cooled GS is now 10y old. It is due a refresh, and I am glad BMW did far more than just a refresh. They have evolved the engine to be more efficient and powerful (+10hp/+6Nm/same economy), re-engineered the drivetain to make it more compact (stacked gearbox), lighter (-6.5kg), simpler (1-less balance shaft) and effective (longer arms/stability/etc)... and they have given it a completely new chassis plus made the whole thing smaller/lighter (-12kg). Achieving all this is no mean engineering feat and I am looking forward to trying it out in the new year. Long live the GS.

There's a good article here on some of the changes - https://www.motorradonline.de/enduro...ePGd7qG2FA1obc

In other news, my latest steed arrived... a burnt orange Vespa GTS300, perfect for short hops around town with enough pull for safe overtakes on the dual carriageway, and even cruising at 70 when needed. Have had a series of Vespas over the years, and they are superb forms for easy and fun transport.

Last edited by spareparts; 4th October 2023 at 12:39.

Happy another Bike day

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk