Quote Originally Posted by chris2982 View Post
    Delivery day for the baby GS new home.
    Room for another one in there...

Quote Originally Posted by MakeColdplayHistory View Post
    Room for another one in there...
    Wanted to future proof it a bit.

Sent from my Nokia 8.3 5G using Tapatalk

Hi gents,

I'm am occaisonal reader of this thread but thought I'd update you on my latest acquisition as I think there are a couple of members who already own one.

I have two bikes in the stable at the moment - a K7 GSX-R750 for track work (although it is road registered) and a KTM RC8R.

I picked up the gixxer earlier this summer and I absolutely love it. From the moment I cranked the throttle it felt familiar.

Hence I had a dilemma - two sportsbikes... which one to get rid of?

In the end I've decided to let the ktm go as the market is fairly strong for them at the moment.

Replacing it is a 2012 Ducati Diavel Carbon with 5k miles on the clock. I am due to collect next weekend but I am heading over on Friday to check the bike out so I'll add a few photos then.

Cheers and congrats Tony and others on their new bikes this season

Oliver

Sent from my SM-G996B using Tapatalk

Not sure how this has happened but had to call in somewhere local to me to collect something, little did I know that a well known bike shop around my way was literally over the road. So seeing as I was there I decided to pop in as it’s a Royal Enfield dealer, spotted their demo Interceptor and had a sit on it, I can see why they get nice reviews for catching the eye and the ride.

Next step is to arrange the test ride, apparently they can get them in 2-4 weeks…

Even the Himalayan looked a nice bike you could tour around on, if they change the engine to a 650cc it could be as good a seller as the Interceptor…

This has made me even more excited - roll on saturday week

Quote Originally Posted by oliverte View Post
    Hi gents,

I'm am occaisonal reader of this thread but thought I'd update you on my latest acquisition as I think there are a couple of members who already own one.

I have two bikes in the stable at the moment - a K7 GSX-R750 for track work (although it is road registered) and a KTM RC8R.

I picked up the gixxer earlier this summer and I absolutely love it. From the moment I cranked the throttle it felt familiar.

Hence I had a dilemma - two sportsbikes... which one to get rid of?

In the end I've decided to let the ktm go as the market is fairly strong for them at the moment.

Replacing it is a 2012 Ducati Diavel Carbon with 5k miles on the clock. I am due to collect next weekend but I am heading over on Friday to check the bike out so I'll add a few photos then.

Cheers and congrats Tony and others on their new bikes this season

Oliver

Sent from my SM-G996B using Tapatalk
    Hey Oliver - good to see you posting, and enjoy that lovely Diavel when you get your hands on it.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Martylaa View Post

Next step is to arrange the test ride, apparently they can get them in 2-4 weeks…

Even the Himalayan looked a nice bike you could tour around on, if they change the engine to a 650cc it could be as good a seller as the Interceptor…
    Marty I was watching a video on utube recently that was guessing which bikes would be released in early 2022. Im sure it said R.Enfield had registered a range of tradenames like “ tracker” hinting at a 650 derived twin to compete with the Yam XT Tenere and the new Aprilia 660 Adventure.

Everyone who tries the 650 twins comments that the torque and handling more than make up for the lack in outright power bhp.

However everyone who rides the Himalayan sooner or later says “ it needs more power” RE have almost certainly listened.

Quote Originally Posted by higham5 View Post
    Marty I was watching a video on utube recently that was guessing which bikes would be released in early 2022. Im sure it said R.Enfield had registered a range of tradenames like “ tracker” hinting at a 650 derived twin to compete with the Yam XT Tenere and the new Aprilia 660 Adventure.

Everyone who tries the 650 twins comments that the torque and handling more than make up for the lack in outright power bhp.

However everyone who rides the Himalayan sooner or later says “ it needs more power” RE have almost certainly listened.
    Agreed mate, i've read somewhere RE are already on with the development of the 650 twin in the Himalayan, should be a good seller if they make that change. Can't wait to get that test ride booked in now on the RE Interceptor, only thing is will have to wait a week or so as its holiday time this week...

Master
    Agreed mate, i've read somewhere RE are already on with the development of the 650 twin in the Himalayan, should be a good seller if they make that change. Can't wait to get that test ride booked in now on the RE Interceptor, only thing is will have to wait a week or so as its holiday time this week...
    Here it is at 1:50secs refs to bigger Himalayan

https://youtu.be/mb4xXLK0MRQ

Steve

Ps one of my friends has an interceptor, he calls it Jensen! He loves it. He removed the stock silencers and swapped out some aftermarket Norman Hyde slip ons which cleans up the fuelling. Plus it sheds mucho kilos
    Last edited by higham5; 18th August 2021 at 20:39.

Trip to Brighton for me today.

Master
    Excited to be collecting this on Sunday- bank breaking £88 fully comp
    650 by biglewie, on Flickr

Question, do you generally get a bike cheaper in the winter months rather than buying in the summer months?

Question, do you generally get a bike cheaper in the winter months rather than buying in the summer months?
    I would say so, but less choice in the winter. Depends how fussy you are.

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    I would say so, but less choice in the winter. Depends how fussy you are.
    Thanks mate, seriously tempted by a bike on the bay but wondering if I really should wait as I have my Multistrada but do want a second bike…

Personally, I don’t think you do these days; everyone wants their winter bargain so those available seem to fetch a little more. Just my observation on the situation.

I’d say that if you see a bike you like at an acceptable price then just buy it, especially if it’s an older bike.

Is it worth buying new and getting a Euro 5 engine or still get a second hand version on a bike nowadays?

Latest addition, I have to say I am surprised how much I like it. Comfortable, you can hustle in the corners, what’s not to like

And good wheels make it faster

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

^^^ Lovely!

Quote Originally Posted by Cavham View Post
    Latest addition, I have to say I am surprised how much I like it. Comfortable, you can hustle in the corners, what’s not to like

This is my ideal third bike!

They are very comfy indeed. Great winter commuter.

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    ^^^ Lovely!

Perhaps time to build a bike garage to house your inevitable future fleet Tony? ;-)
    F.T.F.A.

Quote Originally Posted by magirus View Post
    Perhaps time to build a bike garage to house your inevitable future fleet Tony? ;-)
    I was a whisker away from doing it now, but decided to p/x my TTR instead of keeping it. It’ll happen though.

What a rediculous looking bike.
    They have become a characature of what they started out as, almost comedic.

I love it!

Seriously though, 40 years of refinement have made those latest GS`s a phenomenal machine...

I assume it`s a shift cam?

You`ll do some miles and have good times on that..

Quote Originally Posted by magirus View Post
    I was a whisker away from doing it now, but decided to p/x my TTR instead of keeping it. It’ll happen though.
    That undiscovered tribe deep in the Congo just called, they heard that too!
    F.T.F.A.

Master

Excellent choice. The true do-it-all bike. Now on my third one, although I prefer the GS for the lesser weight and increased nimbleness due to different geometry (at the expense of range/weather protection). Enjoy and hope you have many (s)miles.

Journeyman
    The GS’s are surprisingly good all-rounders - and the recent ones definitely look better, I reckon you’ll have some fun on that 😀

I picked one up after years of sports bikes, it is one of the older 1200s, but updated to improve it in a few areas.
    I used to keep the sports bikes for 2-3 years and then change them for the latest design, power increase, etc…I have had the GS 8 years and have little reason to change it.

Thanks for the comments guys.

It sure is, never had one before, but I do love it.

However, yesterday I dropped the thing. Pulled in car park and it was on a slight decline, went to get off the bike and the side stand moved forward and the bike tipped over. I managed to control the fall, but not stop it. Result was 3 small scratches on the underside of the engine crash bars, I am lucky to have got away with that.

It will make me think twice when I park up in the future with a bike of this size.

Ive a pal who’s recently replaced his 1150 with a bumble bee 1250, he’s dropped it twice already!

Little to no damage though

Sitting in his garage though, I got the impression that it must be like driving a mountain, they’re huge!

The tech on them is amazing though, the most advanced part of my bike is an LCD clock!

My OCD cannot help but notice that the nearside handguard is lower than the right, or is it a camera angle or ground level thing? That would drive me mad.

Mirrors are my worst worry - i have to see exactly the same view both horizontally and vertically both sides, i`m forever adjusting them, and we all know what mirrors are like to make small adjustments to - you apply increasing effort due to their stiffness to make a fraction of a movement when they suddenly give and you`ve moved it about an inch throwing your view right out and all you can see now is your elbows...!

You dropped (but caught) it?
    NooooooooOOOOOOoooo!
    Glad it`s only a minor blemish, a bit of a knock to ones confidence on such a large machine, though..

Master
    Thanks for the comments guys.

It sure is, never had one before, but I do love it.

However, yesterday I dropped the thing. Pulled in car park and it was on a slight decline, went to get off the bike and the side stand moved forward and the bike tipped over. I managed to control the fall, but not stop it. Result was 3 small scratches on the underside of the engine crash bars, I am lucky to have got away with that.

It will make me think twice when I park up in the future with a bike of this size.
    Mine (standard 1250GS) has rolled forward off the side stand a couple of times. Luckily, both times I managed to catch it and haul it back upright. These days I leave it in gear. although I also fitted a side stand foot extender (Wunderlich) and that has made it more stable on the side stand.

Edit. Looks like yours already has a side stand foot on it...
    Last edited by downer; 21st August 2021 at 13:42. Reason: Added stuff

Quote Originally Posted by downer View Post
    Mine (standard 1250GS) has rolled forward off the side stand a couple of times. Luckily, both times I managed to catch it and haul it back upright. These days I leave it in gear. although I also fitted a side stand foot extender (Wunderlich) and that has made it more stable on the side stand.

Edit. Looks like yours already has a side stand foot on it...
    Added the foot extender as it was waiting at home to be put on🙁

Craftsman
    I owned a GS1200 for a few years and was advised by other owners to always leave it in gear if I was parking it on even a gentle downhill slope. Not sure if it’s the weight of the bike or the design of the side stand but they do seem susceptible to rolling off their side stand. It almost happened to me on my driveway but luckily I saw it going before it had chance to fall over. I’ve had 10’s of bikes on my drive over the years and no others have ever done it.

Dropping it is a bummer, but luckily no real harm done. These stories do vindicate my decision to go with the Tiger, though - it’s not a small bike, but it’s smaller than the GS’s by some margin. Lighter, too.

Anyway, seven more sleeps...

Quote Originally Posted by Plake View Post
    This is my ideal third bike!

They are very comfy indeed. Great winter commuter.
    What a bike, that looks perfect. I'm a huge fan of the GSA with a smaller screen. The engine bars with the adventure also make dropping it less of a fear.

Upgrade those headers to the decat titanium Akra and they'll look great all winter too!

Quote Originally Posted by E_2_Right-Force View Post
    My OCD cannot help but notice that the nearside handguard is lower than the right, or is it a camera angle or ground level thing? That would drive me mad.

Mirrors are my worst worry - i have to see exactly the same view both horizontally and vertically both sides, i`m forever adjusting them, and we all know what mirrors are like to make small adjustments to - you apply increasing effort due to their stiffness to make a fraction of a movement when they suddenly give and you`ve moved it about an inch throwing your view right out and all you can see now is your elbows...!

You dropped (but caught) it?
    NooooooooOOOOOOoooo!
    Glad it`s only a minor blemish, a bit of a knock to ones confidence on such a large machine, though..
    You are right, hand guard re adjusted

Master
    Dropping it is a bummer, but luckily no real harm done. These stories do vindicate my decision to go with the Tiger, though - it’s not a small bike, but it’s smaller than the GS’s by some margin. Lighter, too.

Anyway, seven more sleeps...
    The weight difference is not that great once you add all the fluids to the dry weight quoted by Triumph vs the wet weight of the BMW. Where the weight is carried on a boxer twin is quite a bit lower too compared to the Trumpet, aiding balance and manoeuvrability at slow speed.

Quote Originally Posted by spareparts View Post
    The weight difference is not that great once you add all the fluids to the dry weight quoted by Triumph vs the wet weight of the BMW. Where the weight is carried on a boxer twin is quite a bit lower too compared to the Trumpet, aiding balance and manoeuvrability at slow speed.

Yes, theoretically that's correct. However, having manoeuvred both whilst off the bike there really is no doubt - the Tiger feels like a small toy in comparison, and is easier to handle than at least a couple of my previous bikes. It's also low enough without dropping the suspension, which - for a short-arse - is a tangible advantage.

I've been reading and watching reviews of the new Tiger for the past couple of weeks, and I've not yet come across anything negative of substance. It's 100% the right bike for me.

More bike related stuff

It’s funny how a bike’s weight is more about feel than actual bulk; I ran WR250s and 450s out in Spain and there was only a couple of Kg between them.

The way they rode though and extra moving mass in the 450 engine made the 250 feel much lighter than the 450.

Master
    Yes, theoretically that's correct. However, having manoeuvred both whilst off the bike there really is no doubt - the Tiger feels like a small toy in comparison, and is easier to handle than at least a couple of my previous bikes. It's also low enough without dropping the suspension, which - for a short-arse - is a tangible advantage.

I've been reading and watching reviews of the new Tiger for the past couple of weeks, and I've not yet come across anything negative of substance. It's 100% the right bike for me.
    It is a physically smaller bike, yes, and that certainly makes it easier if one is not a “powerfully built company director” lol. I guess it is the same as why I prefer the GS vs GSA which for my 5’10” is noticeably more manageable with the GS (width across the tank on the GSA is oversized, albeit the same everywhere else). And fwiw, I never tried to say that the tiger was not the right bike for you.

Quote Originally Posted by spareparts View Post
    It is a physically smaller bike, yes, and that certainly makes it easier if one is not a “powerfully built company director” lol. I guess it is the same as why I prefer the GS vs GSA which for my 5’10” is noticeably more manageable with the GS (width across the tank on the GSA is oversized, albeit the same everywhere else). And fwiw, I never tried to say that the tiger was not the right bike for you.

Yes, exactly the same issue, save that I'm 5'6" and relatively lightly built (as you know). Makes a huge difference IRL, especially when parking up at home is less than straightforward.

You are right, hand guard re adjusted
    Great.
    How are the mirrors?

Quote Originally Posted by E_2_Right-Force View Post
    Great.
    How are the mirrors?
    Now your being funny, done at the same time😀

Quote Originally Posted by Bobbyf View Post
    I owned a GS1200 for a few years and was advised by other owners to always leave it in gear if I was parking it on even a gentle downhill slope. Not sure if it’s the weight of the bike or the design of the side stand but they do seem susceptible to rolling off their side stand. It almost happened to me on my driveway but luckily I saw it going before it had chance to fall over. I’ve had 10’s of bikes on my drive over the years and no others have ever done it.

Sage advice. With a 1200GS also learned not to park up on the side stand on a significant left downhill slope. Absolute nightmare trying to get it upright to ride away!
    However 0.5 seconds after taking off it was about as hard to ride as my DT125R. Benefits of the ridiculous low slung side pistons.

Always parked my GSA in gear on any surface. Good habit imo.

Agreed - I park all my bikes in gear (1st) and if not on a level surface then preferably pointing up hill.
    The roadlok disc lock also helps prevent forward movement sufficient to cause the side stand to flick up.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I always park facing uphill even if I have to ride and turn around.
    Then I pull the bike back against the stand.

My VFR1200 was a tractor to move around it was so heavy,it dug into gravel etc.
    Even thought it felt light on the move it spoilt the enjoyment worrying about my next stop all the time.
    The person I sold it to absolutely loves it and tells me its all I descibed and more,he is half my age though so no fear.

Master
    I remember parking my GS nose down a small cobbled steet in Lancashire. I was in a hurry to get to a shop. The bikes front wheel was hard against the kerb so it couldn’t fall off the stand.

The fun started when I returned, I couldn’t go forward and pushing 200+ kgs up hill is no fun.

Oh how I laughed , I think I did the equivalent of a 20 point turn to get out, all off camber! So moral of the story I park rear wheel in and as others have said leave it in first.

Recall stopping in a layby behind a mate on his R100RT. He got off, walked away and his bike gracefully rolled forward off of the side stand and landed on its side.

I got off of my R80RT and strode over to help him get his bike upright again and just as we did I looked back to see mine do exactly the same thing.

I'm not the fastest learner at times.

Quote Originally Posted by Gyp View Post
    Recall stopping in a layby behind a mate on his R100RT. He got off, walked away and his bike gracefully rolled forward off of the side stand and landed on its side.

I got off of my R80RT and strode over to help him get his bike upright again and just as we did I looked back to see mine do exactly the same thing.

Classic

Quote Originally Posted by Gyp View Post

This sounds like all of my friends, all of the time.