closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 193 of 358 FirstFirst ... 93143183191192193194195203243293 ... LastLast
Results 9,601 to 9,650 of 17884

Thread: More bike related stuff

Warrington, centre of the Universe and home of the Mighty Wire

More bike related stuff

. That is quality footage isnt it. I have the Hero 7 and haven’t really used it on my bike. Did you use some kind of wind gag or is that the natural sound as is. I have seen a lot of videos where wind noise is very intrusive, and yours is very quiet. Personally, I would switch off the levelling on a bike, so you get the sense of banking round the bends, but thats just me. What mount do you use?

Stuart

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by cinnabull View Post
    . That is quality footage isnt it. I have the Hero 7 and haven’t really used it on my bike. Did you use some kind of wind gag or is that the natural sound as is. I have seen a lot of videos where wind noise is very intrusive, and yours is very quiet. Personally, I would switch off the levelling on a bike, so you get the sense of banking round the bends, but thats just me. What mount do you use?
    I think you're right on the levelling thing - will improve sense of action.

I've used a remote mic in the past, but the new Hero 9 just had a foam case on it to reduce wind noise ...

Using this mount

Warrington, centre of the Universe and home of the Mighty Wire
    Cheers for the info re mounts Ian. I have a pretty strong suction mount that I’d thought of using, but a bit nervous incase it actually blows off at high speeds (legal of course). I also have a foam cover somewhere as well. Unfortunately on the Hero 7 you need another adapter to use an external mic and these seem pretty expensive and also bulky. I may try just the foam cover if I pluck up the courage to use the sucker jobbie. Its called a Fat Gecko suction, when I bought it they said its good for 3 figure speeds but I still have me doubts.

Stuart

It’s great to see the better weather now. Certainly bike time

Quote Originally Posted by TomRea View Post
    It’s great to see the better weather now. Certainly bike time
    ...which is why we are redecorating

I think it's going to rain most of the weekend in true bank holiday style, was looking forward to a ride to.

Quote Originally Posted by I a n View Post
    I was testing my new GoPro Hero 9 at the weekend whilst riding with a few friends.
    Found some great new roads around Berkshire downs. (Wantage - Marlborough memorable)

Impressed with the horizon levelling feature - looks just like it's on a gimbal

Lovely footage, Ian, although I'd like to have seen that speedo on a few occasions

Anyome used gear4motorcycles? Thinking of changing my Duke for an Adv bike.

Thanks

Master
    Finally got her registered, carbs balanced, and had time to take her out on a blast. Yes, she was the first production bike to break 150mph, and yes I can attest she does lol after doing over 200 miles on her yesterday. The GPZ is still a delightful handling bike 30 years on. Here with her stablemate 1098R they bring a smile every time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by spareparts View Post
    That looks excellent.

I've only ridden a GPz900 for a short period, and I suspect it's one of those rare times when it's OK to ride the bike you wanted when you were young.

Finally got her registered, carbs balanced, and had time to take her out on a blast. Yes, she was the first production bike to break 150mph, and yes I can attest she does lol after doing over 200 miles on her yesterday. The GPZ is still a delightful handling bike 30 years on. Here with her stablemate 1098R they bring a smile every time.

An iconic bike, and if I'm not mistaken - Kawasaki was producing 2v/head engines that were producing more power than the other 3 Jap makers were doing with 4v/head?

A bike that was winning the 'arms race' at the time.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Gyp View Post
    That looks excellent.

I've only ridden a GPz900 for a short period, and I suspect it's one of those rare times when it's OK to ride the bike you wanted when you were young.
    I had never ridden one until yesterday. And it was brilliant! Really surprised with how well she tipped in, went side-to-side, and held a line. Found myself looking back every time I walked away. All day comfy too.

Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    An iconic bike, and if I'm not mistaken - Kawasaki was producing 2v/head engines that were producing more power than the other 3 Jap makers were doing with 4v/head?

A bike that was winning the 'arms race' at the time.
    A great top end and she pulled strongly all the way and was comfortable running over distance at high speed. Really quite surprised, and I suspect the GPZ may stay. Only the Duc has caught my attention the same way.

That’s really, really, nice Adrien! A blast from the past and one of my dream bikes.

More bike related stuff

I had never ridden one until yesterday. And it was brilliant! Really surprised with how well she tipped in, went side-to-side, and held a line. Found myself looking back every time I walked away. All day comfy too.

A great top end and she pulled strongly all the way and was comfortable running over distance at high speed. Really quite surprised, and I suspect the GPZ may stay. Only the Duc has caught my attention the same way.
    Am I misremembering that they put a 16 inch wheel on the front of the GPZ to help the tipping in? Might look like one in the photo. It’s an absolute peach by the way.

The early blade followed the same strategy....arguably wrongly. Certainly keen to dive in to corners!

Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    if I'm not mistaken - Kawasaki was producing 2v/head engines that were producing more power than the other 3 Jap makers were doing with 4v/head?
    You are mistaken, GPZ9 was deffo 4-valve heads, all the Japs were well into 16 valves by that time.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Plake View Post
    Am I misremembering that they put a 16 inch wheel on the front of the GPZ to help the tipping in? Might look like one in the photo. It’s an absolute peach by the way.

The early blade followed the same strategy....arguably wrongly. Certainly keen to dive in to corners!
    They did on the A1-A6, and then they went to a 17” on A7-A8. The rear is an 18”. The bike is an A7 with 17” front, and the photo optically seems to exaggerate the difference.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt8500 View Post
    That’s really, really, nice Adrien! A blast from the past and one of my dream bikes.
    Cheers Matt, hope you have been keeping well and enjoying the GS and lovely R9T!

They did on the A1-A6, and then they went to a 17” on A7-A8. The rear is an 18”. The bike is an A7 with 17” front, and the photo optically seems to exaggerate the difference.

Haha, impressive knowledge ;)

I’m finding that 16 inch rims somewhat limit your tyre choices nowadays so I’d say a 17 is preferable simply from that POV.

[QUOTE=spareparts;5738821 The GPZ is still a delightful handling bike 30 years on.
    [/QUOTE]

I might be being a little geeky, and there's the possibility that my aged mind is playing tricks, but I don't think what you have is a GPZ900R. Unless you have another bike.

I do believe what you have is a GPz900R.

During this period Kawasaki used a Z for the air cooled bikes and a z for the water cooled ones.

This has changed in later years as I think they now exclusively use the Z.

Master
    Haha, impressive knowledge ;)

I’m finding that 16 inch rims somewhat limit your tyre choices nowadays so I’d say a 17 is preferable simply from that POV.
    Yes, and that is precisely why I sought an A7 and not an earlier edition

Master
    I might be being a little geeky, and there's the possibility that my aged mind is playing tricks, but I don't think what you have is a GPZ900R. Unless you have another bike.

During this period Kawasaki used a Z for the air cooled bikes and a z for the water cooled ones.

You’re not wrong! Indeed, that is what the decal and books say.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by E_2_Right-Force View Post
    You are mistaken, GPZ9 was deffo 4-valve heads, all the Japs were well into 16 valves by that time.
    Again the decals tell the truth :)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by E_2_Right-Force View Post
    Again the decals tell the truth :)

I had the later Gpz600R smooth a silk , just no chrome to clean !!

You’re not wrong! Indeed, that is what the decal and books say.
    Though to complicate matters, on the side panels Kawasaki sized the R the same as the z.

At least they put GPz900R on the service manual to avoid any confusion

More bike related stuff

Are you sure?
    My GPz750s are air cooled and the GPZ750R is the water cooled, 750 version of the 900R.

Unless they changed things around, which I don’t remember, all the air cooled were small z and the water cooled capital Z.

I’m talking about official designations here rather than what’s written on the side of the bikes.

Here’s a photo of the side panel of an earlier, air cooled GPz750
    Last edited by Dave+63; 3rd May 2021 at 08:47.

Looking further into it, every other water cooled GPZ is capital Z whilst all the air cooled models are GPz

Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    Looking further into it, every other water cooled GPZ is capital Z whilst all the air cooled models are GPz
    I am not sure I'd want to argue with you on classic Kawasakis

Personally, I always called them "Ninjas" and was never aware of case subtleties. I remember riding one in the mid to late 80s on the Carole track (admittedly not ideal to flex its muscles) and thinking that the rear shock absorber was dire but it could have been the set up of the bike (not mine) at the time.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Are you sure?
    My GPz750s are air cooled and the GPZ750R is the water cooled, 750 version of the 900R.

Unless they changed things around, which I don’t remember, all the air cooled were small z and the water cooled capital Z.

I’m talking about official designations here rather than what’s written on the side of the bikes
    I'm never sure about anything these days.

I knew there was a bit of variation, I couldn't remember which way and Google's determination that searches can't be case sensitive didn't help!

More than happy to be corrected!

Big zed, little zed; it doesn’t really matter, that’s still a beautiful and well preserved machine!

More bike related stuff

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    I am not sure I'd want to argue with you on classic Kawasakis

Personally, I always called them "Ninjas" and was never aware of case subtleties. I remember riding one in the mid to late 80s on the Carole track (admittedly not ideal to flex its muscles) and thinking that the rear shock absorber was dire but it could have been the set up of the bike (not mine) at the time.
    I’m no authority on them Marc, just a keen nerd!

They were known as the Ninja ZX9 in the USA Marc and most folk over here just called them Ninja nines (to differentiate from the Ninja six, GPZ600).
    Later on, just about all Kawasaki sports models were known as Ninja something!

Let us know how it goes!

My lad is booked in for next week. Unfortunately he completely shagged his clutch last night practicing for an hour in a deserted pub car park, so we have to rebuild his YBR in time for the test
    Your boy all set up and ready for his CBT this week??

Sent from my Nokia 8.3 5G using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by chris2982 View Post
    Your boy all set up and ready for his CBT this week??

Mod 1 on Thursday, yes, though he thought he'd shagged the clutch again after an hour's practice yesterday.

Turned out it was just badly adjusted, but sorted now.

His biggest worries are the avoidance and emergency stop tests. We'll have to see if the examiner agrees.

Shame it looks like it'll be absolutely hoofing it down though, as I suspect his confidence in his tyres might not be so great in the wet.

Cheers Matt, hope you have been keeping well and enjoying the GS and lovely R9T!

Been getting out to maintain my sanity after interminable webex meeting! Hope you’re well too

Got out for a couple of hours yesterday, stopped for breakfast at the 1066 cafe and just about avoided the showers.

The 1066 is hugely popular but the breakfast is better at the Custom Cafe on the A259!

Got out for a couple of hours yesterday, stopped for breakfast at the 1066 cafe and just about avoided the showers.

The 1066 is hugely popular but the breakfast is better at the Custom Cafe on the A259!
    We've probably passed each other on the roads around Kent/Sussex or even the odd café car park!
    I stop at the 1066 quite a bit, even if only to break up a ride with a cup of tea. Custom Cafe is good as is the Butchers Hook (when it has reopened on the 17th).

Was sooooo Looking forward to a ride out today but good old bank holiday weather had other ideas

Has anyone else had issues with the newer generation of Oxford heated grips that are supposed to turn themselves off if you forget to do it not turning themselves off and draining the battery?

It’s happened twice to me now.

My 93 year old Grandad now back as a pillion after a year off the saddle.

Quote Originally Posted by Lammylee View Post
    My 93 year old Grandad now back as a pillion after a year off the saddle.

Brilliant!

Have fun in the sun, you two!

Hope I am still up for stuff like that in my 90s. Fantastic!

Master
    Big zed, little zed; it doesn’t really matter, that’s still a beautiful and well preserved machine!
    Thank you, it is a credit to the previous owners. Just need to improve the brakes a little.

Has anyone else had issues with the newer generation of Oxford heated grips that are supposed to turn themselves off if you forget to do it not turning themselves off and draining the battery?

It’s happened twice to me now.
    Nope...not yet anyway.
    Biggest problem I've had with the Oxfords is intermittent connections from grips to Oxford loom.
    Easily solved, cut connectors off, trim wires to length, solder joints, smear dilectric grease and shrinkwrap.
    To avoid fuses & relays I use a PDM60. Highly recommended.

So my dad seen online about the Triumph 1200 scrambler Steve McQueen edition on Sunday so we called into Triumph today to order one for him but unfortunately they took there last order on Saturday.

Shame as it looks rather tasty.

Dealer has got my number just incase anyone changes their mind,, probably wishful thinking but worth a shot.

Chris.

So my dad seen online about the Triumph 1200 scrambler Steve McQueen edition on Sunday so we called into Triumph today to order one for him but unfortunately they took there last order on Saturday.
    Is there an allowance per dealer, or has Triumph sold them all?

Shame as it looks rather tasty.
    Interestingly (or not depending on what interests people, I suppose), I read this and thought 'nice enough bike but what's the link between Triumph and the bike in the Great Escape which would be German' so I did a bit of reading only to find out that the bike in the film was a Triumph disguised as a BMW.

Quote Originally Posted by MakeColdplayHistory View Post
    Interestingly (or not depending on what interests people, I suppose), I read this and thought 'nice enough bike but what's the link between Triumph and the bike in the Great Escape which would be German' so I did a bit of reading only to find out that the bike in the film was a Triumph disguised as a BMW.
    I thought that it was common knowledge that it was a triumph of 1960s vintage that McQueen rode as he refused to rids anything else.

That’s also the reason that Guy Martin recreated the jump on the 1200 scrambler.

Is there an allowance per dealer, or has Triumph sold them all?
    I would never have thought of this!!
    Thanks to you I have spoken to a not so local dealer, who only was allocated 1.

Deposit now paid and one happy father.

Chris.

I would never have thought of this!!
    Thanks to you I have spoken to a not so local dealer, who only was allocated 1.

Deposit now paid and one happy father.
    Brilliant news! Nice to know that I occasionally have good ideas :-)

I emailed Blade (Swindon/Oxford/Worcester/Cheltenham) to ask them as I wanted to also enquire about an Africa Twin, but hadn't heard back

A tea and bacon butty break while testing the bar risers I fitted yesterday:
    p.s. the risers have made a much bigger (better) than expected difference to the handling (mine not the bike):

Last edited by Stanford; 5th May 2021 at 15:15.

Master
    Keep the posts and pictures going guys. I was rushed into hospital last Saturday with pneumonia and the beginnings of heart failure 😞.

What I thought of as a little cough and a tight chest a few days previously has turned out to be a bit of a drama...

Chin up...