timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 49 of 354 FirstFirst ... 3947484950515999149 ... LastLast
Results 2,401 to 2,450 of 17675

Thread: More bike related stuff

Master

Number plates

Talking of number plates ...
    Apparently Northampton Police didn't like mine ... got an electronic "producer" and a fine ...

I'm not swapping the plate - I'll go down fighting .... they won't take me alive ... etc etc :-)

^^^ It doesn't meet the prescribed specs and yet they managed to get the fine to you no problem!

Quote Originally Posted by I a n View Post

I'm not swapping the plate - I'll go down fighting .... they won't take me alive ... etc etc :-)
    ... though if you don't, they'll take the reg number away from you and issue another one.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Master
    Apparently Northampton Police didn't like mine ... got an electronic "producer" and a fine ...

Is it the size positioning of the letters or the position on the bike they are disputing?

Steve

Spend a great day yesterday doing the Bikesafe course.

A couple of hours in the morning of classroom based discussion on hazards, positioning, overtakes etc which was good as a reinforcement of what you hope you know plus a couple of takeaways that make you think.

However, the afternoon was what it was all about for me. Paired up with another biker and our fully liveried police biker and off we went! With his words of "lets not piss about and lets make progress where we can" in my ear we spent a fantastic few hours 'progressively' riding different road types with regular change of positions of lead and follow with lots of constructive feedback on positioning, speed, overtakes, smooth riding and cornering. Learnt a huge amount just following him whilst observing the lines he was taking and his road positioning.

What a fantastic day and great value at only £35.

Quote Originally Posted by higham5 View Post
    Is it the size positioning of the letters or the position on the bike they are disputing?

Steve
    I suspect it's all of the above!

Incorrect layout, not illuminated, not BS marked, nothing to identify the maker...

Once, when chastising me for having a small white on black plate that I'd had made up in France, a police motorcyclist suggested that they tended to overlook one of plate, can or (non-pisstaking) speeding.

2 or more and you get pulled.

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    I had a couple of decent helmets already, but I've just treated myself to the Arai Freeway Classic open face... I LOVE it, especially when paired with the Ethen Cafe Racer goggles!

Love it - would be a rather good combo for my bike too...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Gyp View Post
    I suspect it's all of the above!

Incorrect layout, not illuminated, not BS marked, nothing to identify the maker...

Spacing - it should be R9 TFF
    Size - it's 7x5
    My plate is illuminated though. You can just see the light on the left hand side.

Quote Originally Posted by darrenw View Post
    Love it - would be a rather good combo for my bike too...

You need the Bell Classic 500 Chemical Candy...

Mybe they won't take you alive, lol...but they'll deffo be taking your plate AND your bike if they go the s59 route.
    Looking at your pics, it's the spacing (using the incorrect line for one of the letters) that's triggered it.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Tifa View Post
    Mybe they won't take you alive, lol...but they'll deffo be taking your plate AND your bike if they go the s59 route.
    Looking at your pics, it's the spacing (using the incorrect line for one of the letters) that's triggered it.
    Alright - I've caved ... got the right plate, took a photo, emailed it to DVLA, then put my old plate on..
    Last edited by I a n; 27th May 2019 at 16:18. Reason: Spelling

You need the Bell Classic 500 Chemical Candy...

I have considered the Bell, but I don’t feel comfortable without chin protection at higher speeds and I think I’d find the goggles a bit of a faff after a while. So looks have made way for practicability and I’ve a flip up with a sun visor built in.

Quote Originally Posted by darrenw View Post
    I have considered the Bell, but I don’t feel comfortable without chin protection at higher speeds and I think I’d find the goggles a bit of a faff after a while. So looks have made way for practicability and I’ve a flip up with a sun visor built in.

Have you seen the Moto 3 that they do in the same design? That’s a full face and although it takes goggles they may do a visor for it too. In any event goggles aren’t that much of a faff and it would look cool on your bike (a la Meghan Stark on YouTube).

Last edited by learningtofly; 27th May 2019 at 19:28.

What if they were to say: "You have been advised of the non-compliance - we are now charging you with Attempting to pervert the course of justice?"

Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    What if they were to say: "You have been advised of the non-compliance - we are now charging you with Attempting to pervert the course of justice?"
    Would never get that far.
    2 x s59's and it's game over.
    Easier, cheaper and much quicker.

Master
    Blog Entries
    https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/steven-bennett12

He’s got more gear than when I was Don R

Best of luck to him.

What do you think caught you, average speed camera?, as has been said they managed or read the plate just fine to get your number, I have a 7x5 plate on my bike too.

Collected my Speed Twin on Saturday and put nearly 100 miles on it, loving it so far.

Last edited by Vanguard; 28th May 2019 at 09:34.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard View Post
    What do you think caught you, average speed camera?, as has been said they managed or read the plate just fine to get your number, I have a 7x5 plate on my bike too.
    We rode passed a camera van that photographed us - they sent a copy of the photo...

Got a reply from DVLA already this morning after sending my photo in ...

Thank you for your correspondence including photographic evidence that the number plates displayed on your vehicle are now compliant.

I can confirm that on this occasion no further action will be taken by the Agency. However I must advise you that if the Agency is ever made aware that this registration number is displayed illegally again, we will withdraw it from use.

Seems clear enough. I'll take the risk.

We rode passed a camera van that photographed us - they sent a copy of the photo...

Got a reply from DVLA already this morning after sending my photo in ...

Thank you for your correspondence including photographic evidence that the number plates displayed on your vehicle are now compliant.

I can confirm that on this occasion no further action will be taken by the Agency. However I must advise you that if the Agency is ever made aware that this registration number is displayed illegally again, we will withdraw it from use.

Seems clear enough. I'll take the risk.
    Camera Vans photograph the vehicle from the front, did a person actually use a handheld camera to take a picture of the the back of your bike as you went past, and why if you weren't speeding? Jesus do they really have nothing better to do?
    How much was the fine?

Master
    Camera Vans photograph the vehicle from the front, did a person actually use a handheld camera to take a picture of the the back of your bike as you went past, and why if you weren't speeding? Jesus do they really have nothing better to do?
    How much was the fine?
    Photo front and rear. £100 fine.
    Not speeding.
    Just Northampton revenue hunting.

Master
    Photo front and rear. £100 fine.
    Not speeding.
    Just Northampton revenue hunting.
    And further irony - I was only riding in Northampton because me and a friend were having rider training with Rapid Training who decided to take us up there from Aylesbury ...
    My friend got fined as well. His bike number plate was one of those wide/car style but with small characters - looks very obviously undersized/illegal format.

My daughter and I spent time in two wheels this weekend - her first pillion ride through London to the show, a bit of an eye opener for her, I suspect, as filtering on a full-dress Rocket tourer needs either some courage or lots of stupidity.

We did also look at a number of Mk2 Midgets, so I can see one of those in the garage before too much longer. Or an MX-5.

Collected my Speed Twin on Saturday and put nearly 100 miles on it, loving it so far.]
    Lovely!

Craftsman
    Having sold my R9T, regretfully, I'm now looking at bikes again and the Speed Twin has caught my eye. I've only ever read good reviews on it.

Collected my Speed Twin on Saturday and put nearly 100 miles on it, loving it so far.
    A pristine new bike, and a spotless, spacious, garage space. The stuff of dreams

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    A pristine new bike, and a spotless, spacious, garage space. The stuff of dreams
    Aint that the truth!

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    I've now got garage envy

Quote Originally Posted by Thewatchbloke View Post
    I've now got garage envy
    It only cost about a grand to have the horrible ripply concrete floor leveled with a screed, then tiled with commercial non slip tiles, money well spent if you like a nice man cave. Far less dust now too.

Fitted the original one year only (1958) tank emblem badge at the weekend. Most expensive piece of plastic ever!!

Curved mounting plate took forever as it generally only has one sweet spot on the tank. Took me over an hour before I was happy to commit with the 3M backing!! Easy fitting the first, so much longer ensuring the other side was positioned exactly the same as the first.

Still have the option to swap over as and when.

“Don’t look back, you’re not heading that way.”

Lovely!

And that garage is cleaner than my house!

It only cost about a grand to have the horrible ripply concrete floor leveled with a screed, then tiled with commercial non slip tiles, money well spent if you like a nice man cave. Far less dust now too.
    I'd need to build a garage before I could think about tiles!

Quote Originally Posted by Chinnock View Post
    Fitted the original one year only (1958) tank emblem badge at the weekend. Most expensive piece of plastic ever!!

Curved mounting plate took forever as it generally only has one sweet spot on the tank. Took me over an hour before I was happy to commit with the 3M backing!! Easy fitting the first, so much longer ensuring the other side was positioned exactly the same as the first.

I wouldn't have used Dymo myself, Jase, but each to their own

Master
    After a weekend of lots of miles both bikes needed a proper cleaning job:smile2:

I also removed the Seat and bag and gave them a leather treatment...

Quote Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
    After a weekend of lots of miles both bikes needed a proper cleaning job:smile2:

Oh, Karcher K7... Nice!

I wouldn't have used Dymo myself, Jase, but each to their own
    Amazing what can be achieved with those machines these days. just hope the label stays on

Master
    Oh, Karcher K7... Nice!
    It’s just the baby K4😎

It’s just the baby K4
    I thought it was a K7, but further away

Master
    Oh, Karcher K7... Nice!
    It’s just the baby K4😎

Final spit n polish...it’s come up a treat..

I thought it was a K7, but further away
    Don’t forget to get into those wheel bearings; they always come packed full of grease and take an age to get shiny!

Blog Entries
    It’s just the baby K4

Final spit n polish...it’s come up a treat..

I haven't been a fan of most recent offerings from Triumph, but that looks 100%! Nice work mate.

(well 99.9%... -0.1% for no v-twin! )
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Blog Entries

That looks good. See you got rid of the cow-bell, or was it never there?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    I haven't been a fan of most recent offerings from Triumph, but that looks 100%! Nice work mate.

(well 99.9%... -0.1% for no v-twin! )
    Cheers Ian....

They’re certainly popular... bike meet at the Ponderosa tonight, I counted 6 Bobbers, and 3 of em were Bobber blacks...

Blog Entries
    Cheers Ian....

They’re certainly popular... bike meet at the Ponderosa tonight, I counted 6 Bobbers, and 3 of em were Bobber blacks...

Looks like a popular meet with a good variety of bikes.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    Don’t forget to get into those wheel bearings; they always come packed full of grease and take an age to get shiny!
    Pressure washers are fine as long as you keep them off the brakes, hubs, supension linkages, chain and electricals.
    Just a matter of being sensible. I pull my bikes apart once a year (during the cold winter months) to remove and replace old grease more or less everywhere. Pack & wrap connectors also.
    I will not let a dealer touch my bikes once out of warranty.

That looks good. See you got rid of the cow-bell, or was it never there?
    Thanks mate. Still got the bell (69) birthyear. Wife bought it!

Quote Originally Posted by Tifa View Post
    Pressure washers are fine as long as you keep them off the brakes, hubs, supension linkages, chain and electricals.
    Just a matter of being sensible. I pull my bikes apart once a year (during the cold winter months) to remove and replace old grease more or less everywhere. Pack & wrap connectors also.
    I will not let a dealer touch my bikes once out of warranty.
    I know, it was just my weird sense of humour!

I’ve only let a dealer near my bike twice; once a Ducati 916 service and belt change (eye wateringly expensive) and once a 500 mile free first service on a ZZR600 where they managed to scratch it in two places (but denied it was them of course).
    The only other time any of my bikes go near a dealership is for the MOT.

If I’ve done the work myself then I know it’s been done to my satisfaction.

Blog Entries
    Thanks mate. Still got the bell (69) birthyear. Wife bought it!
    Sorry, lost me there!?
    I meant the cow-bell HD horn cover.....

You may not be a fan but I think they definitely hit their target market.

The majority of British motorcyclists are older, rounder and less mobile than they'd like to be, and often have bodies that are slightly "distressed" from mistakes when they were younger, slimer, mobile and gung ho. Bikes that are easier to handle, more comfortable and more easily maneuvered are somewhat appealing.

For many too, speed isn't (or no longer is) the ultimate goal, and I tend to apply a 50%-70% speed rule to motorcycle enjoyability. If a bike has a top speed of 100mph, it'll feel nice to ride between 50mph and 70mph. If the top speed is 200mph, it'll feel nice to ride between 100mph and 140mph. The 100mph bike won't be pleasant at 100mph, and the 200mph bike won't be at all satisfying between 50mph and 70mph. And a 100mph litre bike will be far more relaxed in the low to mid range than a 100mph 250.

All of a sudden manageable, comfortable large capacity bikes with a top speed of about 100mph or so make sense. Especially when they're significantly less expensive and fit the brief better than a Harley.

That's why Triumph's modern classics and (for taller more affluent riders) BMW's boxers have such a large share of the big bike market, irrespective of the styling.
    Last edited by Gyp; 29th May 2019 at 07:58.