closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 22 of 359 FirstFirst ... 1220212223243272122 ... LastLast
Results 1,051 to 1,100 of 17913

Thread: More bike related stuff

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    I did find it too tall (I was on tippy-toes, and would have had no chance on a camber) so I've bought the low version. My inside leg is only 30" and I was a lot more comfortable on it.
    Lanky git!

Good decision mind.

You can see why they are keen to get you in for a service...

well we got there in the end (all of us that recommended the street triple in the first few pages ) , you will have more fun on the street its easier to handle and the engine is superb.
    .... as nice as it looks personally i put the street twin in the same class as bobbers /cafe racers and harleys- unless you are 90 yrs old or scared of your own shadow they are about as much fun as a shopping trolly - as a second bike then yes - but not as a primary mode of fun (if this is the reason for getting a bike) .

Quote Originally Posted by Gyp View Post
    Lanky git!

Good decision mind.

You can see why they are keen to get you in for a service...
    Yes, I'll have to watch that in future

Quote Originally Posted by pugster View Post
    well we got there in the end (all of us that recommended the street triple in the first few pages ) , you will have more fun on the street its easier to handle and the engine is superb.
    .... as nice as it looks personally i put the street twin in the same class as bobbers /cafe racers and harleys- unless you are 90 yrs old or scared of your own shadow they are about as much fun as a shopping trolly - as a second bike then yes - but not as a primary mode of fun (if this is the reason for getting a bike) .
    The Twin is certainly a very easy bike to ride. I wouldn't call it sedate as it has fantastic torque, and as a commuter it really is a good choice. However, I really didn't like the lack of power on motorways and open A roads... I would have been happy had i kept it, but not as happy as I'll be now

Master
    Crikey. So, the 54bhp didn't satisfy beyond the first 500 miles... I've just finalised the deal on a F750GS (77hp). Hope I've done the right thing.

Quote Originally Posted by downer View Post
    Crikey. So, the 54bhp didn't satisfy beyond the first 500 miles... I've just finalised the deal on a F750GS (77hp). Hope I've done the right thing.
    I think you will be fine with 77 - 54 is really quite low. A lot will also depend on the power delivery if it is very flat then it is much less fun to ride. Of course it also depends how you ride it - I am sure 77 will get a lot quicker as you become faster.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Oh dear - this is embarrassing.
    I am sure you did the right thing and made sense to jump now. Enjoy the new bike !

54 to 77 is quite a difference, and I imagine your bike is a bit lighter that the Street Twin. I'm looking foerward to 116, though

Quote Originally Posted by MB2 View Post
    I am sure you did the right thing and made sense to jump now. Enjoy the new bike !
    Thanks. I think so too.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MB2 View Post
    I think you will be fine with 77 - 54 is really quite low. A lot will also depend on the power delivery if it is very flat then it is much less fun to ride. Of course it also depends how you ride it - I am sure 77 will get a lot quicker as you become faster.

Thanks for the kind words.

In truth, I have no real idea, although I spent 6 hours a day for 7 straight days on an F700GS during my training. I found it comfortable and plenty quick (even though I wasn't using anywhere near all of it), so with a bit of luck, it'll all be fine.

Intriguing, the whole power thing...

My R80RT, the mainstay of the British police motorcycle fleet for many years only has 50bhp, no rider modes, no abs and skinny crossply tyres but in the right hands can catch a fair proportion of sports bike riders on a twisty road.

Regrettably, my hands aren't the right hands, and it's conspicuous that when I ride with former police riders, I need to use a lot more throttle and brakes to keep up.

Too much power can be a hindrance, andI reckon I was making at least as good progress on the F750 loan bike through Wales a few weeks ago as I would on my R1200R.

Master
    ^^^ Good to know.

^^^ Good to know.
    As I think I said at the time, 2 up for a day through the wibbly wobbly bits of Wales it was totally spot on, did everything I asked of it and I'd be hard pressed to justify anything bigger or faster. Comfortable, decent luggage capacity. Arguably the only bike you'd ever need.

That's not to say it's the only bike you'd ever want...

In a similar vein, a mate bought a Tiger 800 for his first bike.

After he'd owned it for a few months, we had lengthy discussions about what would be suitable for

Commuting... Tiger 800
    Touring... Tiger 800
    Sunday fun... Tiger 800

So he's chopped it in for an R1200GS.

Sometimes the heart rules the head, and that's no bad thing.

Btw, at the Triumph Expertise exhibition, there's a Tiger 800 that a 22 year old lad used to circumnavigate the globe. 57,000 miles in 441 days.

You'll be fine with a GS 750. For a while at least ;-)

Master
    Blog Entries
    I had to smile when I read about your change Tony. I really like both your choices - great taste! The swap came a bit sooner than expected but as someone who has owned five different bikes in the last eight years (one at a time - I'm not allowed to own more than one!) a swap was inevitable. You might be lucky and have found your perfect bike, but just like watches, there is always something different and even more exciting to try 😀

Master

You'll be fine with a GS 750. For a while at least ;-)
    Noted. :D

I have tried to choose a bike with my head as much as my heart, so let's see how long it lasts.

I have tried to choose a bike with my head as much as my heart...
    You fool!

'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Quote Originally Posted by JonRA View Post
    I had to smile when I read about your change Tony. I really like both your choices - great taste! The swap came a bit sooner than expected but as someone who has owned five different bikes in the last eight years (one at a time - I'm not allowed to own more than one!) a swap was inevitable. You might be lucky and have found your perfect bike, but just like watches, there is always something different and even more exciting to try 
    Well, I thought I'd get it out the way early

Master
    Blog Entries
    Noted. :D

I have tried to choose a bike with my head as much as my heart
    It never works that way...

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    You fool!

Quote Originally Posted by JonRA View Post
    It never works that way...
    I won't be doing that again

Master
    You fool!

I know. I like to think I’m at least consciously incompetent. :)

Hope you enjoy the new bike Tony. I’ll be interested in your views on it over the next 6-9 months. If it stays that long
    It's just a matter of time...

I know. I like to think I’m at least consciously incompetent. :)
    We all want to think that

Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    Hope you enjoy the new bike Tony. I’ll be interested in your views on it over the next 6-9 months. If it stays that long
    Anything more and I'll likely not see the next 6-9 months so I'll be sticking now, Scott!

Anything more and I'll likely not see the next 6-9 months so I'll be sticking now, Scott!
    :o) it doesn't always go upwards in power Tony.

My first bike was an BMW R1200GS daft decision, far to big and heavy for little me as a first bike but I thought I was Charlie Booreman. Sold it after a month and bought the newly released BMW F65GS (actually and 800cc).....much better for me so I ended up riding 3500 miles down to Turkey and back on it, wouldn't have preferred to be on any other bike for that trip.

When I came back I changed that one for a ...........wait for it........Triumph Street Triple!! Loved that bike too, only eventually selling it on because I loved the sound of the engine under acceleration so much it was going to lose me points. As per my earlier post, I'm now on a 400cc Ducati Scrambler and falling in love all over again.

Each bike has its own character and reason to be chosen........we're spoilt these days, I doubt there's many truly rubbish bikes out there.

More bike related stuff

Quote Originally Posted by skmark View Post
    :o) it doesn't always go upwards in power Tony.

My first bike was an BMW R1200GS daft decision, far to big and heavy for little me as a first bike but I thought I was Charlie Booreman. Sold it after a month and bought the newly released BMW F65GS (actually and 800cc).....much better for me so I ended up riding 3500 miles down to Turkey and back on it, wouldn't have preferred to be on any other bike for that trip.

When I came back I changed that one for a ...........wait for it........Triumph Street Triple!! Loved that bike too, only eventually selling it on because I loved the sound of the engine under acceleration so much it was going to lose me points. As per my earlier post, I'm now on a 400cc Ducati Scrambler and falling in love all over again.

Each bike has its own character and reason to be chosen........we're spoilt these days, I doubt there's many truly rubbish bikes out there.
    Yes, I can see that the Triple will require some self control. Have you done many miles on the Scrambler yet? We’ll have to organise a ride.

Street TripR is a fabulous bike.
    I had a loaner for a day.
    Amazing bike, light, flickable, and quick.
    I'd have bought one in a heartbeat had it not been for the 'Dame Edna Everage' front end.
    Motodemic US now do a single headlight conversion which looks pretty good.
    If it had been available last year, I'd have pulled the trigger.

^^^ That looks much better!

Quote Originally Posted by Tifa View Post
    I'd have bought one in a heartbeat had it not been for the 'Dame Edna Everage' front end.

That's got a very Yamaha 350LC look about it, I love it

that headlight conversion looks pretty good , first mod i'd go for would be a diff slip on for the overun burble all the triples have .
    where are you based BTW? i can ACF50 the bike for you for the price of a cup of tea and a bacon sandwich (i use an airbrush and compressor setup to apply it )

* if you use facebook take a look at the TTRUK (triumph triple riders UK ) , some knowledgable ppl on there and theres always bits for sale , be aware its not a place for anyone of a delicate disposition.
    Last edited by pugster; 6th November 2018 at 14:59.

that headlight conversion looks pretty good , first mod i'd go for would be a diff slip on for the overun burble all the triples have .
    where are you based BTW? i can ACF50 the bike for you for the price of a cup of tea and a bacon sandwich (i use an airbrush and compressor setup to apply it )
    That would be amazing, and worth at least two sandwiches and three cups of tea! I’m in Hertfordshire, not far from St Albans. I’m just waiting for a delivery date for the Triple, by the way, which will hopefully be within the next couple of weeks (there are less low ride heights about, unfortunately, and the one they have at the dealership is in white - not the colour I want).

Quote Originally Posted by Tifa View Post

Oh my....now that does look nice.

+1 for some ACF50 in St Albans :o)

Master
    OP - you may have covered this earlier in the thread so I apologise if you are repeating yourself but what was your experience of passing your test? Did you have any experience before?

I like the idea of getting myself something slow and grunty (for want of a better word..... essentially a bike for fat blokes!!). My son has just passed his CBT and we bought him a nice 125cc bike, also really like the idea of going out with him. Just feels like as a fat guy in my late 40’s I may have missed the bike ‘boat’ (so to speak!)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by zanderpants View Post
    OP - you may have covered this earlier in the thread so I apologise if you are repeating yourself but what was your experience of passing your test? Did you have any experience before?

I like the idea of getting myself something slow and grunty (for want of a better word..... essentially a bike for fat blokes!!). My son has just passed his CBT and we bought him a nice 125cc bike, also really like the idea of going out with him. Just feels like as a fat guy in my late 40’s I may have missed the bike ‘boat’ (so to speak!)

I rode 125s and 250s when I was much younger, and then got a 125 for a couple of months while I was going through the test process. I wasn’t quite a novice, therefore, which is probably why I got to grips with the 900 so quickly. And there was nothing wrong with my bike at all, it was just slightly underpowered on motorways. I’d have been happy keeping it, but the offer I had was a no-brainier, really.

Congrats on the striple Tony, a much more capable bike than the speed twin. You'll have a blast

My previous machine was a Triumph triple, a 995i Daytona, it doesn't share much with yours but it was a phenomenally rapid machine being the full fat 150bhp model. It had a glorious exhaust rasp on full chat!

The only reason I changed was because my wrists couldn't take more than a couple of hours riding at a time due to the clip on type bars. My mate had a bonkers 2006 striple that he put a supercharger on, 210bhp of madness!

Master
    I rode 125s and 250s when I was much younger, and then got a 125 for a couple of months while I was going through the test process. I wasn’t quite a novice, therefore, which is probably why I got to grips with the 900 so quickly. And there was nothing wrong with my bike at all, it was just slightly underpowered on motorways. I’d have been happy keeping it, but the offer I had was a no-brainier, really.
    I take it you think it was a worthwhile process? Sounds like your loving the whole experience!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by zanderpants View Post

57 year old fat bloke here. Before a couple of weeks ago, I hadn't really ridden a motor bike since I was 17. I did an intensive 7 day course, with day 1 being CBT and day 7 being the Mod1 and Mod2 tests. In truth I reckon I was ready for the tests on day 5, although the additional time was valuable experience. The tests are not too difficult once you acquire a bit of confidence on the bike - especially if you are a regular car driver.

My 2 pence, if I may:
    - the Speed triple is a far more interesting bike than your initial choice. I never liked the twin lights so never got one but its potential for fun in any style you want, from urban to track days, is much greater.
    - no bike is really fun on a motorway. Just like no car is fun on a motorway. The Striple will not be fun, either.

My 2 pence, if I may:
    - the Speed triple is a far more interesting bike than your initial choice. I never liked the twin lights so never got one but its potential for fun in any style you want, from urban to track days, is much greater.
    - no bike is really fun on a motorway. Just like no car is fun on a motorway. The Striple will not be fun, either.
    I wasn’t really looking for fun on the motorway - just a bit more capability in terms of power/acceleration: the Twin has all its grunt low down, and max’s out at 6000 revs. Having taken the Triple for a good run yesterday, it has just what I was looking for.

Aside from that, it’s so much nicer in traffic.

That would be amazing, and worth at least two sandwiches and three cups of tea! I’m in Hertfordshire, not far from St Albans. I’m just waiting for a delivery date for the Triple, by the way, which will hopefully be within the next couple of weeks (there are less low ride heights about, unfortunately, and the one they have at the dealership is in white - not the colour I want).
    ah, sorry St Albans is a bit far from me (brum ) - i dont do it for a job i just have the gear and dont mind helping out a forum member if i can.
    ask about and see if someone you know has an airbrush setup you can borrow for a day - its a piece of cake to do with a gravity feed airbrush and you get better coverage /penetration - it takes all of about 20 mins to do a whole bike.

Master
    Good choice Tony, as I said earlier in the thread I've had mine 11 years now and have no desire to change it - it really is perfect for UK roads (as long as touring is not a requirement...).

This winter I'm going to treat it to its first mod I think by replacing the high level exhausts with a low-level system. The high level system looks dated now and weighs a ton...

ah, sorry St Albans is a bit far from me (brum ) - i dont do it for a job i just have the gear and dont mind helping out a forum member if i can.
    ask about and see if someone you know has an airbrush setup you can borrow for a day - its a piece of cake to do with a gravity feed airbrush and you get better coverage /penetration - it takes all of about 20 mins to do a whole bike.
    No worries - it was good of you to offer. I’ll probably use AYB again, at least for the first treatment.

Quote Originally Posted by SimonH View Post
    Good choice Tony, as I said earlier in the thread I've had mine 11 years now and have no desire to change it - it really is perfect for UK roads (as long as touring is not a requirement...).

This winter I'm going to treat it to its first mod I think by replacing the high level exhausts with a low-level system. The high level system looks dated now and weighs a ton...
    That sounds like a good call. I’m quite tempted to de-cat mine and stick a new can on it, but I’ll leave that until the spring, I imagine, when I may well be happy with it as-is anyway.

I do have some extras, though - crash bungs, grab rails, heated grips, paddock stand bobbins and a tail tidy.

Hoping to get a delivery date today, but thought I’d post a couple of appetite-whetters in the meantime

Arrow can?

That front end really looks like a wasp’s head.

Arrow can?
    Going to give it some thought first. There’s a Yoshi decat that’s probably the favourite, unless I can get the Arrow in a decat version from the US or somewhere.

That front end really looks like a wasp’s head.
    I know. The more I look at it the more I like it, though.

Nothing wrong with it, though not to my taste it’s only me refusing to embrace something that changes from tradition.

It is such a good bike anyway, and the Striple had a strange front end from the start.

Nothing wrong with it, though not to my taste it’s only me refusing to embrace something that changes from tradition.

It is such a good bike anyway, and the Striple had a strange front end from the start.
    It’s only the shape of the lights that’s changed, I think. I do like the fact the the lights have LED DRLs, though, and once I’ve put a Puig screen on the front it’ll look a bit more integrated.

the sc project slip ons also sound great on the street triple , you can find most slip ons on ebay used at a good price -ive just bought a low boy system to try on my speed triple so have something to do this weekend fitting it and remappping the bike with tune ecu .

the sc project slip ons also sound great on the street triple , you can find most slip ons on ebay used at a good price -ive just bought a low boy system to try on my speed triple so have something to do this weekend fitting it and remappping the bike with tune ecu .
    Thanks - I was looking at that one yesterday. Is remapping straightforward?

it pretty easy- you just need to buy a cable , the tune ecu program and maps are free though its very important you make sure you have have the right map for your bike , tune ecu will also show and allow you to do other things on the bike (carb/injector balance/tickeover speed /fault finding etc )
    http://www.tuneecu.com/TuneECU_En/Quick_Guide.html

iirc dealers charge about £30 to remap a bike
    Last edited by pugster; 8th November 2018 at 09:59.

Bike located, and due in early next week

I have an SC Projects can on my beemer, it sounds glorious