closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 212 of 357 FirstFirst ... 112162202210211212213214222262312 ... LastLast
Results 10,551 to 10,600 of 17834

Thread: More bike related stuff

Master
    By the way, my mate with the XR does moan about longer distance seat comfort. He uses one of those air hawk (I think) things on long days.

That’s something to check, especially as the low seat is usually just a regular seat minus some of the padding…

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Martylaa View Post
    Does anyone run a Sena SRL comms unit when out riding? I have the Neotec 2 helmet and just wondering if the SRL units which fit are a good piece of kit?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    I had an SRL in my Neotec II. It works fine and is very neatly integrated but personally I found the controls a bit fiddly with gloves. I sold it and got an external (Sena 30k) unit which I can swap between my two helmets.

Quote Originally Posted by downer View Post
    By the way, my mate with the XR does moan about longer distance seat comfort. He uses one of those air hawk (I think) things on long days.

That’s something to check, especially as the low seat is usually just a regular seat minus some of the padding…
    Yes, I've read some scathing reviews of the standard seat, let alone the low version.

The guy on the Tiger absolutely loves the bike. He came from an 800 and reckons the 900 is significantly better to ride for longer days. On the twisty roads in Scotland he was quick in the corners and the bike looked very sure-footed. On the unpaved road he was very confident too.

I agree with you that the 900 is a bit more of a looker than the 800, although any adventure bike is unlikely to win a beauty contest.

Here’s a comparison from the POV of an XR owner. The guy is a bit OTT but it’s worth persevering…

I actually thought that was a cracking review. If anything, it pushed me tangibly towards the Tiger, although i'm starting to think that I should be focussing on a lightly used 900 GT pro as opposed to the 800 XRT.

If anything, the last couple of days have demonstrated that this isn't something to make a very quick decision on.

I had an SRL in my Neotec II. It works fine and is very neatly integrated but personally I found the controls a bit fiddly with gloves. I sold it and got an external (Sena 30k) unit which I can swap between my two helmets.
    Ah ok, thanks for that, I’ll have a look at those now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Triumph Tiger 800/900 is a great bike - and I think build-quality is better than equiv BMW.

I think if I was wanting to dabble in a bit of green-laning, I would get a used road-orientated bike (with 17" wheels) and a spare pair of wheels with knobblies/dual purpose tyres fitted.

I think 19/21" wheels are a nonsense for all but the most rugged of terrains.

Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    Triumph Tiger 800/900 is a great bike - and I think build-quality is better than equiv BMW.

I think if I was wanting to dabble in a bit of green-laning, I would get a used road-orientated bike (with 17" wheels) and a spare pair of wheels with knobblies/dual purpose tyres fitted.

I think 19/21" wheels are a nonsense for all but the most rugged of terrains.
    I could really feel that 19" wheel on the Tiger, actually. Took me a few minutes to get used to the slightly greater input needed on corners but, after that, it felt fine.

Changing wheels on the bike isn't going to happen in reality. I want a bike that can cope as is, which is why the F900 might not be the one. It's a road bike, pure and simple.
    Last edited by learningtofly; 1st August 2021 at 09:57.

the adventure bikes you can buy now such as the tiger do everything fine right out of the box, you dont need other sets of tyres or anything else.
    the only bike that needs 'knobbly' tyres is a scrambler , you do not need scrambler tyres for going over a bit of gravel every now and then on b roads.
    bikes that look like they have been kitted out for an expedition when the owner is sitting outside the local bike cafe eating a bacon sandich look a bit silly imo.

Quote Originally Posted by pugster View Post
    the adventure bikes you can buy now such as the tiger do everything fine right out of the box, you dont need other sets of tyres or anything else.
    the only bike that needs 'knobbly' tyres is a scrambler , you do not need scrambler tyres for going over a bit of gravel every now and then on b roads.
    bikes that look like they have been kitted out for an expedition when the owner is sitting outside the local bike cafe eating a bacon sandich look a bit silly imo.
    Exactly; they’ll all do gravel tracks perfectly well as long as the rider has the confidence to let the bike move under him and do it’s thing.
    As in every other genre, it’s the riders sbikity that’s the limiting factor!

Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    Exactly; they’ll all do gravel tracks perfectly well as long as the rider has the confidence to let the bike move under him and do it’s thing.
    Yes, the Tiger is perfect in this respect, and (Dave) your point is exactly why I want something relatively small and light.

Okay - but for me, the likes of the Tiger/GS is so much better on the road - with Road Sports-Touring tyres rather than 'dual-purpose' tyres. I'm not so keen on using road tyres on mud etc (unless you can pick dry green-lanes). Happy to use the likes of Metz Tourance for both applications though (at a push)

Call me a wooss but I would avoid any terrain that required a 19/21" front wheel too.

Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    Okay - but for me, the likes of the Tiger/GS is so much better on the road - with Road Sports-Touring tyres rather than 'dual-purpose' tyres. I'm not so keen on using road tyres on mud etc (unless you can pick dry green-lanes). Happy to use the likes of Metz Tourance for both applications though (at a push)

Call me a wooss but I would avoid any terrain that required a 19/21" front wheel too.
    The Tiger comes with Tourance fitted as stock, actually.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    I actually thought that was a cracking review. If anything, it pushed me tangibly towards the Tiger, although i'm starting to think that I should be focussing on a lightly used 900 GT pro as opposed to the 800 XRT.

If anything, the last couple of days have demonstrated that this isn't something to make a very quick decision on.
    Yeah, watching that would push me towards the Tiger and away from the XR, I think, and if you're thinking of green lanes, the Tiger is definitely a bit more suitable than the BMW, although I guess you have to be sure how much time you'd actually spend doing that, compared with time spent on real roads and in real traffic.

I enjoy the smaller lanes (with grass down the centre) but I'm not likely to be taking either my GS or my Multi off road, so I would always choose a tyre that's 90% road biased. I have Conti Trail Attack 3's on the GS and the Multi came with Pirelli Scorpion Trail II's, which seem great on road so far.

In fact, this is likely to be as far off road as my multi goes, regardless of 19" front wheel...

In fact, this is likely to be as far off road as my multi goes, regardless of 19" front wheel...
    Quite sensible. I find taking the Triumph Street Scrambler 50% exciting, 50% educational and 100% terrifying.

Just a thought, are the Ducati's still made substantially in Italy? Considering the Triumph Tiger is made in Thailand and an awful lot of the XR is made in China (complete engine & gearbox assemblies to start with), I was just wondering about the Multistrada.

Quote Originally Posted by Gyp View Post
    Quite sensible. I find taking the Triumph Street Scrambler 50% exciting, 50% educational and 100% terrifying.

Just a thought, are the Ducati's still made substantially in Italy? Considering the Triumph Tiger is made in Thailand and an awful lot of the XR is made in China (complete engine & gearbox assemblies to start with), I was just wondering about the Multistrada.
    I thought they were built in Bologna where the Ducati factory is, no doubt I’m wrong and like everything will probably be built in the Far East?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Gyp View Post

According to this - https://www.bennetts.co.uk/bikesocia...your-bike-made, The Multi 950 is made in both Italy and Thailand. Ducati also have an assembly plant in Brazil.

Looking at my VIN, it points towards my bike being built in Italy - although clearly, the components may well be made elsewhere.

After a few weeks of should or shouldn't I, I pulled the trigger and pick up next week. As with watches.....one in one out.

Out

In GSA TE in Triple Black

GS... great bike.
    Just come home from Scotland (370m) with Mrs Tifa...she commented how every other bike was a GS.
    Successful indeed.

Currently sold out...

I have a 6 month old F900xr which I’d seriously recommend you to try if you can overcome the seat height issue (seems you can) I have to say that I’ve upgraded to a comfort seat and a better designed puig screen…
    Welcome to try mine if anywhere near
    Friends have tiger 900 and KTM 790 both of which I tried before I bought my BMW
    ONLY regret was not trying the multistrada 950 which I have an idea I might have bought….
    Maybe next time
    Last edited by GOAT; 3rd August 2021 at 08:26.

Quote Originally Posted by GOAT View Post
    I have a 6 month old F900xr which I’d seriously recommend you to try if you can overcome the seat height issue (seems you can) I have to say that I’ve upgraded to a comfort seat and a better designed puig screen…
    Welcome to try mine if anywhere near
    Friends have tiger 900 and KTM 790 both of which I tried before I bought my BMW
    ONLY regret was not trying the multistrada 950 which I have an idea I might have bought….
    Maybe next time
    Thanks, and I do intend to try it. However, the downside with regard to the BMW is that it's a road-only bike. I don't think that's what I want as my second bike. (Same issue with regard to the Multistrada, even if I could get a fit on it.)

I’ll say this just once, but it needs to be said: I think a dual purpose road/off-road big bike is a bad idea. I know we have a couple of riders here who make it work, and more power to them, but for an off-road novice it will end in expensive tears.

Riding the green lanes is a fab idea but the bike must be light, the power reasonable and the tyres suitable. It would be much better, at least until you are sure it’s for you, to get whichever bike you prefer with good road tyres, and a small dedicated off-roader to get a feel for it. 250cc or thereabouts will be plenty, second hand and no need to keep immaculate will allow you to really enjoy the paths, then get more adventurous and build your skills.
    If not, at least a proper off-road tuition over 3/4 days before you commit to buying a specific bike.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

people really need to think about just how much 'offroading' they are actually doing , to put it another way would you spend 10 grand on a set of golf clubs that you use for half hour twice a year at most?

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    I’ll say this just once, but it needs to be said: I think a dual purpose road/off-road big bike is a bad idea. I know we have a couple of riders here who make it work, and more power to them, but for an off-road novice it will end in expensive tears.

Riding the green lanes is a fab idea but the bike must be light, the power reasonable and the tyres suitable. It would be much better, at least until you are sure it’s for you, to get whichever bike you prefer with good road tyres, and a small dedicated off-roader to get a feel for it. 250cc or thereabouts will be plenty, second hand and no need to keep immaculate will allow you to really enjoy the paths, then get more adventurous and build your skills.
    If not, at least a proper off-road tuition over 3/4 days before you commit to buying a specific bike.
    I think that Tony is probably thinking more gravel road than proper trail riding.

I think that Tony is probably thinking more gravel road than proper trail riding.
    Absolutely right, Dave, up to easy green-laning. I'm often in this position even now, and I can tell you it's not a great deal of fun on the TTR.

The Tiger would be perfect for what I want, the Multi and F900 not so much. Marc, point taken but I've probably not been clear enough in terms of what I'm looking for.
    Last edited by learningtofly; 3rd August 2021 at 09:35.

people really need to think about just how much 'offroading' they are actually doing , to put it another way would you spend 10 grand on a set of golf clubs that you use for half hour twice a year at most?
    Do you offer that advice every time somebody says that they're buying a GS/GSA?

Asking for a friend

Do you offer that advice every time somebody says that they're buying a GS/GSA?

Asking for a friend
    depends whether they say they are buying one because they go touring and its comfortable or because they go over 100yrd of gravel on a b road twice a year :)

depends whether they say they are buying one because they go touring and its comfortable or because they go over 100yrd of gravel on a b road twice a year :)
    LOLZ - good point.

Put it this way, though - at present I can't set Calimoto routes to super-twisty (my preference) as the TTR can't do it with any degree of comfort. It's enough of an irritation that I want to address it, and after nearly three years back on a bike I think I know what I want

LOLZ - good point.

Put it this way, though - at present I can't set Calimoto routes to super-twisty (my preference) as the TTR can't do it with any degree of comfort. It's enough of an irritation that I want to address it, and after nearly three years back on a bike I think I know what I want

yes as you get older you realise comfort is the key to everything :) , same goes for shoes and everything else i wear these days - hush puppies/sketchers rule and most fashion brands are out.
    personally i think the triumph aventure bikes look better than the ducatis - but thats like telling a rolex wearer you prefer the look of a seamaster.

it seems theres only one solution here and you already know it , 2 bikes and possibly 3 are needed to cover everything :)

yes as you get older you realise comfort is the key to everything :) , same goes for shoes and everything else i wear these days - hush puppies/sketchers rule and most fashion brands are out.
    personally i think the triumph aventure bikes look better than the ducatis - but thats like telling a rolex wearer you prefer the look of a seamaster.

it seems theres only one solution here and you already know it , 2 bikes and possibly 3 are needed to cover everything :)
    Yes indeed - TTR+1 is the solution. I do think the Tiger gives me everything I'm after in a second bike... a bit like the girl who may not be the most beautiful but she's the best in bed

Yes indeed - TTR+1 is the solution. I do think the Tiger gives me everything I'm after in a second bike.
    You say that now.....

Master
    Agree the sentiment of second bike for off road rather then dual purpose.

Dropping it is inevitable off road, even if fairly non challenging green lanes, a wet bit of grass or shiny bedrock will do the trick at some point, probably low speed but still loads of cosmetic damage potential and associated regret.

Better to bin the off road bike than the pride and joy (and buy the off roader with that inevitability in mind)

I have a XL1000 Varadero that is supposedly dual purpose that in the day came with 80/20 road/off road tyres to indicate off road capability - wouldn't even consider it!

Yes indeed - TTR+1 is the solution. I do think the Tiger gives me everything I'm after in a second bike... a bit like the girl who may not be the most beautiful but she's the best in bed
    Sorry if this has already been covered (somewhere in the depths of this thread) but are you sure you have actually narrowed down what you want of a second bike? Touring ability or green laning are not mutually exclusive but how much of each you intend doing must influence the direction you take.

If it's a fun, practical bike but capable of green laning have you ruled out all Fantic's?

May I throw Honda CRF250L into the mix. Great little green-laner and not shabby on road either. Cheap as chips and also not too heavy when you have to pick them up!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    May I throw Honda CRF250L into the mix. Great little green-laner and not shabby on road either. Cheap as chips and also not too heavy when you have to pick them up!
    Forgot about the picking up issue - good point!

You guys

Journeyman
    This conversation does seem to have become rather laboured. What happened to just buying the bike you want and discounting all logic from the process? Budget should be the only other minor concern!

Quote Originally Posted by Strchr03 View Post
    This conversation does seem to have become rather laboured. What happened to just buying the bike you want and discounting all logic from the process? Budget should be the only other minor concern!

Thank you!

Actually, spec'd up with pretty much everything, including the low seat, it's £11,800. Still cheaper than the 900 GT pro and a fair bit prettier - the main difference is that the Tiger's also designed for a bit of light off-rodd use, and this one isn't.

It might even be pretty enough, and adaptable enough, to let the TTR go in p/x.

Then light off-road use (I'd really like to do some green-laning) is quite a big factor, and going that route would come with about a £4k cost saving (enabling a two-bike solution). Quite a lot to think about.
    I would consider buying a green lane bike for green laning and getting the BMW - as I wouldn't fancy green laning on a big, expensive new bike that isn't really suited to off road work.

Quote Originally Posted by MB2 View Post
    I would consider buying a green lane bike for green laning and getting the BMW - as I wouldn't fancy green laning on a big, expensive new bike that isn't really suited to off road work.
    Noted.

In other news, I'll update the thread when the new bike is bought and paid for

I loved off road riding for decades, a mix of scrambling, trialing and green laning and the bike I used for all that time was my 1979 Honda XL185. 16hp and 70mph (at a push) doesn't sound like a recipe for enjoyment but the fun I had on that bike was immense, it was light, manoeuvrable, economical and picking it up after a spill was a doddle even when exhausted after a whole day out. The worst thing about it was riding to the various places to go off road but it never used to take longer than 30 mins to reach my usual haunts so a small price to pay. If you're not dropping the bike your not pushing yourself hard enough!

I'd love to pick up the hobby again but whatever I end up getting will be a light off road machine probably around the 250cc mark.

Master
    Had a lovely morning out on my oversized, completely unnecessary "Adventure" bike. About 150 miles in total - a good mix of fast A roads, smaller B roads, single track lanes and a paved mountain pass. Rode up to Oswestry, then via the small roads to Lake Vyrnwy and finally over the mountain down to the A470.

Must have gone at least 10-15 miles without seeing another vehicle. Bliss.

Of course it would be possible (easily) to do this on a pure road bike, but for me, the GS (or my Multistrada) is ideal due to it's easy manoeuvrability, excellent view (over hedges etc) and general comfort. Also good to feel confident when its necessary to hop on to the grass verge to avoid oncoming tractors etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Thewatchbloke View Post
    I loved off road riding for decades, a mix of scrambling, trialing and green laning and the bike I used for all that time was my 1979 Honda XL185. 16hp and 70mph (at a push) doesn't sound like a recipe for enjoyment but the fun I had on that bike was immense, it was light, manoeuvrable, economical and picking it up after a spill was a doddle even when exhausted after a whole day out. The worst thing about it was riding to the various places to go off road but it never used to take longer than 30 mins to reach my usual haunts so a small price to pay. If you're not dropping the bike your not pushing yourself hard enough!

I'd love to pick up the hobby again but whatever I end up getting will be a light off road machine probably around the 250cc mark.
    250cc is plenty for proper off-road.

I ran WRF450s and 250s when I was in Spain. Most customers wanted the big, manly 450s but I usually took a 250 out.
    The 450 was big, plush and easy going (but with a hell of a kick when you’re in the mood) whilst the 250 was the hooligan tool.
    I told anyone who would listen that the 250 was plenty and when we came back to the UK, I used a 250 in competition. If I were to go green laning again, I may choose a 450 but would probably stick with a 250.
    The 450s make great supermotos though!

My old WR450, went like stink and great fun off road

And My GS which I never had any desire to take off road

Last edited by Vanguard; 3rd August 2021 at 15:43.

Had a lovely morning out on my oversized, completely unnecessary "Adventure" bike. About 150 miles in total - a good mix of fast A roads, smaller B roads, single track lanes and a paved mountain pass. Rode up to Oswestry, then via the small roads to Lake Vyrnwy and finally over the mountain down to the A470.
    Of course it would be possible (easily) to do this on a pure road bike, but for me, the GS (or my Multistrada) is ideal due to it's easy manoeuvrability, excellent view (over hedges etc) and general comfort. Also good to feel confident when its necessary to hop on to the grass verge to avoid oncoming tractors etc.
    Looks a nice route - I might have to give it (or something similar) a go. Is my memory right that there's another road from the W of Lake Vyrnwy that does more directly to Bala?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MakeColdplayHistory View Post
    Looks a nice route - I might have to give it (or something similar) a go. Is my memory right that there's another road from the W of Lake Vyrnwy that does more directly to Bala?
    Not sure which road you are thinking of. The one I've enjoyed in the past is the B4391 from Penybontfawr. It's also a mountain road - although a proper two lane with a decent surface. See red arrow below.

Master
    Or maybe you are thinking of this one...

Never tried it, but it's almost certain to be a good one up there.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I did this just before covid hit.

On a road bike with full Givi boxes,tank bag and tail bag,with BT023 tyres,I went slow and found it hard work and wearying.
    As I was solo and only saw about 5 vehicles the whole dirt section it was a bit scary,a few times I was close to dropping it.

The Kiwis take it much morere lighthearted.
    I am so glad I did it before it gets tarmac put down.

On a Adventure bike with road/poor tyres it would have been as hard I reckon,its all about grip.

Or maybe you are thinking of this one...

Never tried it, but it's almost certain to be a good one up there.
    That's the fella.
    I think we went that way (more than 25) years ago in a rally hire car when we were camping nr. Bala
    I remember:
    • it being mainly single track with passing places
    • being shouted at a lot - the now Mrs MCH was only recently arrived from Holland at the time and they don't have many roads like that there

in other news i just saw these and thought some ppl here might be interested

https://www.visordown.com/news/produ...fLam-oiw2pyVxk