closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 215 of 357 FirstFirst ... 115165205213214215216217225265315 ... LastLast
Results 10,701 to 10,750 of 17845

Thread: More bike related stuff

Quote Originally Posted by skmark View Post
    I’m sure you won’t mind me being honest Tony, but I can’t see what’s drawing you to this one.

I know it’s a while back and they have moved on but I took out the F800R when my F800GS was in for a service. I was expecting to be wowed by the more ‘sporty’ version but to be honest I just found it to be an uncomfortable and dull characterless bike. I’m sure it’s been improved upon but I still couldn’t see it being a preferred choice over the others you’ve been considering.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Well, the XR is meant to be a far, far superior bike to the R in many ways, and this engine is also a bit more pokey. It can't hurt to give it a try, and you never know... it'll be fun at the very least and - given the reviews for this bike - I'm actually expecting to be very impressed.

Quote Originally Posted by andy tims View Post
    Ride that, then ride the S1000XR. I bet you’ll love the more powerful bike. The engine is epic. My brother who’s 5’5” and has only been riding 2 years absolutely loves his. Low frame and low seat available which is what he has.
    It's an odd thing. I rode the S1000XR and found it flat and disappointing.

I found the low to mid range a bit short on grunt and the top end didn't have the expected lunacy to make up for it. Having owned a similarly powerful Hayabusa, I expected something similar but with decent suspension, brakes and a comfy riding position but the S1000XR wasn't it.

Quite a shame as I expected it to be a really good sports tourer, but it didn't work for me

Ride that, then ride the S1000XR. I bet you’ll love the more powerful bike. The engine is epic. My brother who’s 5’5” and has only been riding 2 years absolutely loves his. Low frame and low seat available which is what he has.
    Yes, the performance is no doubt in another league. I'd end up spending far more than I want to, though, for a bike that's probably overpowered for what I want.
    Last edited by learningtofly; 12th August 2021 at 06:32.

Definition of an absolute <insert Bear Pit word here> ?
    Someone who knows they're in the wrong lane coming off a roundabout, looks straight at you in their wing mirror and cuts you up anyway knowing that if it goes wrong it will hurt you a lot more than it hurts them.

Chuffed to bits!!
    Had my assessment this morning for the enhanced rider scheme and it went really well.

Next thing to book in is for the pillion training, hopefully get in for that next week.

Chris.

Sent from my Nokia 8.3 5G using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    I’m posting purely for cathartic purposes as I am not a happy man tonight.
    Got some nice new Bridgestones on my Africa Twin this afternoon and 8 minutes, less than 5 miles away, I ran over the broken end of a coil spring and ripped the side wall of my tyre. I was in a line of traffic doing 50mph and didn’t even see it on the road until I was on top of it.
    To add insult to injury, the coil spring flicked up and smashed a hole in the underside of the bike.
    My bike is now in a friendly farmers shed (who I’ve never met before) and I’m hoping that the tyre fitter can get a new tyre for me when I take the wheel to him tomorrow. Oh, and I am supposed to be going away on the bike with my pals for a few days on Saturday.
    It’s turned into an expensive Thursday for me! Nevermind, it’s just a repair job and worse things can happen. Just getting it off my chest!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by chris2982 View Post
    Chuffed to bits!!
    Had my assessment this morning for the enhanced rider scheme and it went really well.

Next thing to book in is for the pillion training, hopefully get in for that next week.

Chris.

Nice one, Chris.

Any additional training is a good idea imo.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobbyf View Post
    Got some nice new Bridgestones on my Africa Twin this afternoon and 8 minutes, less than 5 miles away, I ran over the broken end of a coil spring and ripped the side wall of my tyre. I was in a line of traffic doing 50mph and didn’t even see it on the road until I was on top of it.
    To add insult to injury, the coil spring flicked up and smashed a hole in the underside of the bike.
    My bike is now in a friendly farmers shed (who I’ve never met before) and I’m hoping that the tyre fitter can get a new tyre for me when I take the wheel to him tomorrow. Oh, and I am supposed to be going away on the bike with my pals for a few days on Saturday.
    It’s turned into an expensive Thursday for me! Nevermind, it’s just a repair job and worse things can happen. Just getting it off my chest!

That's some rough luck. Hope you get it sorted.

Quote Originally Posted by downer View Post
    Nice one, Chris.
    Thanks,. I'm also looking into the IAM and RoSPA courses.

Master
    Had a driveway service on the Spitfire yesterday - brilliant and cheap. The technician lowered it as much as he could - 16mm. Made a big difference. Seat height now just about the same as my old S1000RR, but of course it’s a much lighter bike.
    Sneaked a 45 minute ride in yesterday lunch time and was out tonight to the Loomies bike night which was rammed. The CCM got loads of attention - I even had people asking if they could take photos.

I’ve now done 100 miles and I’m really bonding with this bike already. It’s just so much fun at 50 to 70 mph. Properly smile inducing.
    The CCM will never be a grey bike! Its nice to have something a bit different. In the day of being able to walk into any bike dealership, and subject to credit refs ride out on a 200 bhp bike worries me. A the riders dont have the reflexes , B the oncoming traffic doesn’t deserve a nutter on a hyper bike.

CCM and the Ducati Scrambler and Fantic Cabelero type bikes all hark back to enjoying a bike for what it is, swift, quick to turn , loud and fun.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by higham5 View Post
    In the day of being able to walk into any bike dealership, and subject to credit refs ride out on a 200 bhp bike worries me. A the riders dont have the reflexes , B the oncoming traffic doesn’t deserve a nutter on a hyper bike.
    Nah, if you're slow of reflex and a bit of a nutter you'll get found out either before or soon after passing your test. That's why there's restrictions in place.

In any case, bikes have been considered too fast since before I was born. I remember when the first Fireblade came out and respected journalists were saying it was too much for the road, but nowadays people are recommending bikes like a Street Triple with a similar power to weight ratio as great first bike after passing your test.

The latest 200+bhp missiles aren't for everyone, but we should celebrate the fact we can walk into a showroom and PCP something that's probably quicker around a track than a MotoGP bike from only 15 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Dynam0humm View Post
    Nah, if you're slow of reflex and a bit of a nutter you'll get found out either before or soon after passing your test. That's why there's restrictions in place.
    The only real restriction is money, for the bike and insurance.

My lad has been riding his 125 for a few years now, and is intending to get his full A licence later this year, which means he could in theory go from 9bhp to 200bhp+ in one step. If he could afford to.

The latest 200+bhp missiles aren't for everyone, but we should celebrate the fact we can walk into a showroom and PCP something that's probably quicker around a track than a MotoGP bike from only 15 years ago.
    The real downside of such bikes is that they are all remarkably boring at real world (legal or thereabouts) speeds. What makes them quicker around a track than a MotoGP bike from only 15 years ago, makes them boring as hell and uncomfortable on the A40 at 60.

Quote Originally Posted by Gyp View Post

My lad has been riding his 125 for a few years now, and is intending to get his full A licence later this year, which means he could in theory go from 9bhp to 200bhp+ in one step. If he could afford to.

The real downside of such bikes is that they are all remarkably boring at real world (legal or thereabouts) speeds. What makes them quicker around a track than a MotoGP bike from only 15 years ago, makes them boring as hell and uncomfortable on the A40 at 60.
    With regards to insurance on larger bikes, it’s always been the way; I passed my test at seventeen in 1980 and could have jumped straight onto the fastest bike available at the time (although very slow by today’s standards!). Insurance would have been crippling so, like everyone else at the time, I gradually progressed up the capacity ladder.

The journalists were right, a fireblade is far more than is required for the road and modern super bikes are very dull at legal speeds, hence the rise of the smaller bikes like CCM and Royal Enfield.

More bike related stuff

This! I sold my R1 after doing a couple of track days at Silverstone. I stupidly thought I could use 70% of the bikes capability on the road. After the track days I realised that I could get to maybe 60% of its ability on the track and reasonably 20% on the road. I couldn’t justify keeping it for just a couple of track days a year and didn’t enjoy bimbling on the road, so off it went. God I loved that bike and would love to have it back; even as just an ornament.

Quote Originally Posted by RichS View Post
    This! I sold my R1 after doing a couple of track days at Silverstone. I stupidly thought I could use 70% of the bikes capability on the road. After the track days I realised that I could get to maybe 60% of its ability on the track and reasonably 20% on the road. I couldn’t justify keeping it for just a couple of track days a year and didn’t enjoy bimbling on the road, so off it went. God I loved that bike and would love to have it back; even as just an ornament.
    There's a lot to be said for the high torque (as opposed to the high power) engines that Triumph use on their heritage/modern classic bikes.

Damn - test ride cancelled as the low seat hasn't arrived (none in the UK, apparently - at least, not within BMW Motorrad)!

Quote Originally Posted by RichS View Post
    Yup! Litre superbikes are irrelevant on the road. I think I realised that after I binned my first R-1, and was looking at a Ninja636 as a replacement.

Then realised that another used R-1 was only £500 more than a 636..................

What can I tell you................ "power seduces!"

Tony

Not sure if you are still looking for a 900xr ride

but these with Bahnstormer have lowered suspension and low seat - https://www.motorcyclenews.com/bikes...00xr/60441828/

this one may have a low seat https://www.motorcyclenews.com/bikes...00xr/60441829/

If you do go and see them, let me know Tony and I will stick the kettle on. I’m about 5 miles from Bahnstormer

Quote Originally Posted by samswatch View Post
    Tony

Not sure if you are still looking for a 900xr ride

but these with Bahnstormer have lowered suspension and low seat - https://www.motorcyclenews.com/bikes...00xr/60441828/

this one may have a low seat https://www.motorcyclenews.com/bikes...00xr/60441829/
    Thanks for that, Sam. The difficulty is in diarising a test ride, which has to fit in with both my work and personal commitments. There's actually a lowered XR in a dealership 5 minutes from my office in Guildford, but (1) I'm rarely there, and (2) I don't need the suspension lowered.

Master

Less hoops to jump through if you want to drive a car. You don't even need to learn how to change gear and then you can jump into a two ton Tesla that'll accelerate to 120 in a similar time to the super bike.

Like I said, they're not for everyone but I'm glad they exist.

Less hoops to jump through if you want to drive a car. You don't even need to learn how to change gear and then you can jump into a two ton Tesla that'll accelerate to 120 in a similar time to the super bike.
    True, but dynamically there's a lot to be said for vehicles with 4 driven wheels rather than 1 that also move laterally when they slide rather than falling over. And have airbags and a roll cage.

Like I said, they're not for everyone but I'm glad they exist.
    I'm with you there.

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    There's a lot to be said for the high torque (as opposed to the high power) engines that Triumph use on their heritage/modern classic bikes.
    I want something stupid that does like the clappers and wheelies on the throttle at 3 figure speeds.

I want something big and comfy that I can get on and ride all day in comfort.

But at the moment I love that I'm chucking the little Triumph around, catching my toes on the ground on corners, zooming about like a kid and amused that when I glance at the speedo, in most cases I'm only just touching the speed limit.

I was wowed by the Livewire but I also fancy a Zero FXS Supermoto for total lunacy at reasonable speeds, if only for forty miles or so!

I’m still going to keep an ICE though, at least for the time being.

Just a quick update on this, but this morning I paid a deposit on a new 900 GT Pro, and agreed to p/x my TTR against it. Why new?

Well, firstly I got news from my accountant that I'm due a corporation tax refund after a sh*tty time due to COVID (not a huge amount, but it'll actually cover half the cost of change, once I've paid it to, errr, myself). Secondly, I thought that - as we're nearing the end of August - I might have some additional negotiating power, and indeed I managed to get a £650 discount on the p/x deal I was offered about a month ago.

I'm very happy with my decision - it's definitely the bike for me in the ADV segment of the market - and I'll be taking delivery in two weeks time. Really looking forward to some all day rides and a bit of (light) touring.
    Last edited by learningtofly; 14th August 2021 at 15:29.

Just a quick update on this, but this morning I paid a deposit on a new 900 GT Pro, and agreed to p/x my TTR against it. Why new?

Well, firstly I got news from my accountant that I'm due a corporation tax refund after a sh*tty time due to COVID (not a huge amount, but it'll actually cover half the cost of change, once I've paid it to, errr, myself). Secondly, I thought that - as we're nearing the end of August - I might have some additional negotiating power, and indeed I managed to get a £600 discount on the p/x deal I was offered about a month ago.

I'm very happy with my decision - it's definitely the bike for me in the ADV segment of the market - and I'll be taking delivery in two weeks time. Really looking forward to some all day rides and a bit of (light) touring.
    Congratulations and looking forward to seeing some photos :)

Master
    Excellent news. What colour did you go for? Any extra spec?

So as it turns out it is impossible to stop a motorcycle whilst not throwing the lemon iced tea you promised you’d get your nurse all over the tank then the ground. Even if you’ve somehow made it up the road from Starbucks with it intact.

After that I left my key in the ignition with the lights on and by the time I’d finished the battery was too discharged to turn the starter motor so Green Flag had to come and jump start me.

Not my best motorcycling day ever.

Quote Originally Posted by Plake View Post
    Congratulations and looking forward to seeing some photos :)
    Excellent news. What colour did you go for? Any extra spec?
    Thanks, both, and it was actually about £650 discount, in fact. The GT Pro has pretty much everything included as standard (and it'll be my first bike with a quickshifter/autoblipper), but I added the low seat, fork sliders, tank pad and a 40L roll bag. Oh, and it's red, so will look like this...

Standard trim actually includes:

Optimised cornering ABS and traction control
    LED DRL, Headlight and Indicators
    Cruise Control
    Heated Grips
    7-inch full-colour TFT instruments
    Hand Guards
    My Triumph connectivity system
    Centre Stand
    Electronically adjustable Marzocchi rear suspension unit
    LED Fog lights
    Triumph Shift Assist
    Heated Rider and Pillion Seats
    Tyre Pressure Monitoring
    5 riding modes
    Last edited by learningtofly; 14th August 2021 at 16:50.

Very nice Tony, how long will you keep this one?

Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    Very nice Tony, how long will you keep this one?
    Well, I'm averaging about 1 year per bike, so hopefully longer than that! I'm having a lot of fun, though

Well, I'm averaging about 1 year per bike, so hopefully longer than that! I'm having a lot of fun, though
    I’ve no room to talk, I had the RSV1000 for about twelve, months and the XJR1300 which I’ve had since March is unlikely to make it past a year either.

That said, I’ve no plans to get rid of the GPzs and I’ve had them at least five years!

Great choice Tony. I've no doubt you'll enjoy putting the miles on it. This time next year you'll be touring Europe and wondering why you hadn't done it years ago. I don't really use my quickshifter/autoblipper it's a bit of a gimmick unless you're on a sports bike but that looks like a great package.
    Last edited by manganr; 14th August 2021 at 16:07.

Master
    Thanks, both, and it was actually about £650 discount, in fact. The GT Pro has pretty much everything included as standard (and it'll be my first bike with a quickshifter/autoblipper), but I added the low seat, fork sliders, tank pad and a 40L roll bag. Oh, and it's red, so will look like this...

Red is the best colour on the Tiger 900 I reckon...

Quote Originally Posted by manganr View Post
    Great choice Tony. I've no doubt you'll enjoy putting the miles on it. This time next year you'll be touring Europe and wondering why you hadn't done it years ago. I don't really use my quickshifter/autoblipper it's a bit of a gimmick unless you're on a sports bike but that looks like a great package.
    Thanks Ray - it'll open up a whole new world of riding for me, and I can't wait. And yes, it's a fantastic package as standard on the GT pro and the Triumph Shift Assist is meant to be about the best there is (although I'll no doubt continuously forget that I have it!).

Red is the best colour on the Tiger 900 I reckon...

I think it is. I like all the colours, but it would have been a longish wait for the others and I'd not have been able to get the discount I negotiated on the red (which is in stock and ready to go).

Master
    Tony whilst I have had two bikes with heated grips , I have never ridden one with heated seats. It will be fantastic on cooler rides and most appreciated by Bea. The rest of the spec looks very extensive, overall a great package.

Now the next thing you need to do is sell your “hipster” type nice soft jackets and buy a big square shaped inflexible off road jacket. Ha Ha

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by higham5 View Post
    Tony whilst I have had two bikes with heated grips , I have never ridden one with heated seats. It will be fantastic on cooler rides and most appreciated by Bea. The rest of the spec looks very extensive, overall a great package.

Now the next thing you need to do is sell your “hipster” type nice soft jackets and buy a big square shaped inflexible off road jacket. Ha Ha

Steve
    Never, Steve!!!

Actually, Bea is very unlikely to get on the back and she's not into it at all. Also, the low seat isn't heated; luckily, I'm intending to fit the standard (heated) rider's seat once I feel I'm fully used to/comfortable with the bike. I'll then sell the low seat, but it's worth losing a few quid on it if it means I keep the bike upright in the early days!

Standard trim actually includes:

Optimised cornering ABS and traction control
    LED DRL and Indicators
    Cruise Control
    Heated Grips
    7-inch full-colour TFT instruments
    Hand Guards
    My Triumph connectivity system
    Centre Stand
    Electronically adjustable Marzocchi rear suspension unit
    LED Fog lights
    Triumph Shift Assist
    Heated Rider and Pillion Seats
    Tyre Pressure Monitoring
    5 riding modes
    Good choice - I almost got one a year ago.
    If you plan on using it for green laning you might want to consider crash/engine bars.

Quote Originally Posted by Stanford View Post
    Good choice - I almost got one a year ago.
    If you plan on using it for green laning you might want to consider crash/engine bars.
    Thanks. I did think about adding them now but have deferred that one for a while. They're neither cheap nor pretty, but they may well end up on the bike at some point soon.

Just a quick update on this, but this morning I paid a deposit on a new 900 GT Pro.
    Very nice! Enjoy!

Very nice! Enjoy!
    Thanks Ian. It’s going to be a long two weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by chris2982 View Post
    Chuffed to bits!!
    Nice one

Quote Originally Posted by Bobbyf View Post
    Bad luck

The journalists were right, a fireblade is far more than is required for the road and modern super bikes are very dull at legal speeds, hence the rise of the smaller bikes like CCM and Royal Enfield.
    Had a great ride this afternoon. Rode one of my regular routes. 70 mph on the CCM was more fun than 100 on the RR

It’s gonna be a keeper 😉
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Annoyed yesterday that the commute to work was now in the dark.

Delighted today to realise that removing the black "not for road use" visor and replacing with clear meant that my morning commute was no longer in the dark.

Great choice, Tony, I hope you enjoy your new red ride

Quote Originally Posted by samswatch View Post
    Great choice, Tony, I hope you enjoy your new red ride
    Cheers, Sam!

Master
    I’ve just bought a G650 GS - while reading this thread
    Now to try to collect it

Master
    Was a great day for a cruise!

Master
    I was wowed by the Livewire but I also fancy a Zero FXS Supermoto for total lunacy at reasonable speeds, if only for forty miles or so!

I’m still going to keep an ICE though, at least for the time being.
    For info, if you are in the area, Zero are doing test rides at Motolegends in September. Details on their website.

Quote Originally Posted by joe narvey View Post
    For info, if you are in the area, Zero are doing test rides at Motolegends in September. Details on their website.
    My house is being taken over by women on Saturday as my daughter is hosting a baby shower for one of her friends.
    I’m planning on making myself scarce and having a ride down to the Zero dealership in Brighton for a play on a couple of bikes.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by spareparts View Post
    Was a great day for a cruise!

The Jay-pee-zed 900 is an iconic bike imo (but I am slightly biased..) 👌🏼👍🏼