closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Paging those that drive in Hounslow (might apply elsewhere)

Paging those that drive in Hounslow (might apply elsewhere)

Can I confirm my understanding of this bit of road?

https://www.google.com/maps/@51.4843...7i16384!8i8192

Is this unusual (to me at least) road layout simply to allow cars to pass busses at the bus stop?

I went through it late on Friday night and, because the signage wasn't overly clear went straight through the "bus" bit. The car following me went to the right and negotiated the chicane.

Parked within sight of it, every car and van that came through while I was sat there slowed and went through the chicane rather than straight on.

When there's no bus, why don't people sail straight through? Is it that it's often sufficiently busy that you can get caught at the give way? Or is it forbidden to go straight unless you are a bus and I should expect a fine?

Looks like it .
    Is it actually a bus lane ?
    If not, and it’s merely a stopping place for the bus , it’s pretty well thought out .
    I’d assume the bus would need to indicate to leave that area?
    Plus, if you did get a fine , I’d suggest your appeal would be favourably looked on if the sineage isn’t clear

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Don’t know the area personally, but looking at the street map there is a clear no entry sign for motor vehicles except buses. Enforcement camera situated there too further up. Suspect there will be a fine applied.

Edited - used street view to go up and down. The sign looks to be missing from the post in the direction you posted. It’s evident in the opposite carriageway. Confusing for sure. Don’t think the camera relates to the bus stops though on reflection.
    Last edited by RLE; Today at 16:34.

You’ll be fine. No road signs and no cameras.

This is how they are signed when they don’t want you to drive in the bus lane. They also have cameras monitoring to enforce the fines.

They are added to ensure only cars and buses can travel the road and trucks can’t.

This example is Cox Lane, Chessington which is also like Hounslow enforced by TfL.

And the other lane as seen from the other side.

Last edited by noTAGlove; Today at 16:31.

Master

I know that specific bit of road quite well.

Your understanding is correct, the left hand bit is for buses only and other vehicles should negotiate the awkward chicane.

When I was younger I often went straight on as it is easier.

These days, there may be cameras I am not sure. But tbh I think you will get away with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Boss13 View Post
    These days, there may be cameras I am not sure. But tbh I think you will get away with it.
    Unless it is clearly signed a bus lane, it is not a bus lane.

TfL are ruthless. There is no getting away with it. You have either contravened a bus lane and you will be fined, or you haven’t.

No chance of prosecuting without appropriate signage, and even if they tried no chance it would get past an appeal ombudsman.

The lane is merely there to keep the traffic flowing when a bus stops. If it was there to prevent trucks turning into the road as per the Cox Lane example above, it would be littered with signs. And there would have to be an alternative turn off for the truck.

The other big clue is nothing comes up when you google Cranford Lane Hounslow Bus Lane.

Try that on Cox Lane Chessington Bus Lane on Google and you get a different response.
    Last edited by noTAGlove; Today at 16:39.

Master

I’m confident there is signage there. In the Google maps above I think the bus is covering it.

Next time I pass I will check out of interest.

Edit: or it could be cars being sheep and taking the chicane without reason I suppose!

I’m confident there is signage there. In the Google maps above I think the bus is covering it.
    Sign has to be before the bus lane as per Cox Lane example above.

The bus is blocking nothing, otherwise that would be a significant point of appeal, and the fact that the road sign does not conform to national standards.

No need to scare the guy any further.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by noTAGlove View Post
    No need to scare the guy any further.
    Obviously not my intention.

Here is the sign on the other side on maps.

In maps the sign on the side shown is missing although the post is there. Is that sign there today or not, who knows.

Sounds like I can sleep safe in my bed :-)

Thanks all!

- - - Updated - - -

Obviously not my intention.

Here is the sign on the other side on maps.

In maps the sign on the side shown is missing although the post is there. Is that sign there today or not, who knows.

There was no sign on the post on Friday, just a light at the top of it.

Quote Originally Posted by thegoat View Post
    Looks like it .
    Is it actually a bus lane ?
    If not, and it’s merely a stopping place for the bus , it’s pretty well thought out .
    I’d assume the bus would need to indicate to leave that area?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    There are also give way markings.