closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 42 of 354 FirstFirst ... 3240414243445292142 ... LastLast
Results 2,051 to 2,100 of 17673

Thread: More bike related stuff

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    I ran a fleet of WRF450s when I was out in Spain. One customer brought his KTM525 out to ride. The KTM felt smaller and lighter with a nice soft power delivery whilst the WRFs were a bit more edgy.

I have a friend who, when we started trail riding, went though the entire KTM range before finally settling on an EXC200. Great for trail riding/enduro but the four strokes are better in SM mode (the exception may be the 300 EXC).

Great days, have fun!
    I’ve seen those trail packages advertised and would really love to do one one day, Catalan area looks an off-road paradise

A few guys I know ride/have ridden the 4 stroke 250 exc and swear by them

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by E_2_Right-Force View Post
    Now that looks like a lot of fun..
    I once owned a road-legal KTM500 MX bike, now that was edgy lethal.
    I used to blat around the local back lanes wheelying from one corner to the next until i got caught out by the vicious power band one time and flipped it resulting in a busted foot and two weeks in hospital.
    Riding it home through town after the off trying to change gear with four broken metatarsals and road rash to my leg while attempting to attract as little attention as possible (impossible on a totally obnoxious MX machine) was a ride i`ll never forget.
    After that i converted it back to MX-spec and tried some track days, it was totally unmanageable and impossible to use in anger(for me at least). Massive respect to the Pro MX dudes of the day when these large and lairy 2 strokes were in their heyday.
    Happy daze....

Early on in my bike career i had something a little bit tamer but had massive amounts of fun on a TS250 at the local gravel pits;

I love trials bikes - i`ve just picked up a DR800 `Dr Big`.
    Nice trail bike Suzuki, yes not many people can wring the neck of a 500, 2 names that spring to my mind were Dave Thorpe and David Knight. Agree big respect to off-road pro guys it is super tough sport and so punishing on the body

More bike related stuff

Quote Originally Posted by LRB255 View Post
    I’ve seen those trail packages advertised and would really love to do one one day, Catalan area looks an off-road paradise

A few guys I know ride/have ridden the 4 stroke 250 exc and swear by them
    There are a few companies doing them and they are good fun. I’ve been on a few and, whilst I enjoy them, I can’t help comparing them to my routes where I had the freedom to make them as hard or as easy as I liked depending on the group.
    The EXCF250 was pretty crap until they brought out the twin cam model (around 2006/7 IIRC). That one was the bike to have as it had the power and about 15kg less weight than it’s competitors.

Nice trail bike Suzuki, yes not many people can wring the neck of a 500, 2 names that spring to my mind were Dave Thorpe and David Knight. Agree big respect to off-road pro guys it is super tough sport and so punishing on the body
    I don’t think Dave Knight was riding in the two stroke days but I’m sure he’d have been able to handle them. Another great British motocross rider of the era was Graham Noyce. They were all faster on the 250s than the open class bikes though.
    Last edited by Dave+63; 20th April 2019 at 08:52.

More bike related stuff

This is my new toy!

Can’t wait to pick her up.

I have ridden abroad and ended up having a big accident so wanted to start small this time.

This is my first motorbike.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Grand Master

Hello Moto.
    RIAC

^^^ Blimey, that's a bit different, Kerry!

By the way, my latest cinematic masterpiece can be found here

Quote Originally Posted by 100thmonkey View Post

Hello Moto.
    Hooligan!!!

Craftsman
    Always fancied the PE400 when younger but couldn’t afford at the time, local Suzuki dealer at the time was Crooks Suzuki, had my fair share of trials bikes though and great fun had

Craftsman

Hello Moto.
    Very very nice 👍 just looking for some wheels myself, seen some lovely talons that I’m pondering over just a little pricey though

2 names that spring to my mind were Dave Thorpe and David Knight. Agree big respect to off-road pro guys it is super tough sport and so punishing on the body
    Dave Thorpe! Yep, there`s a name from the past.
    And Eric Geboers is another that springs to mind of that era. Hard as nails, you`ve got to be - it`s an incredibly tough sport.
    Just Googled him, he died last year attempting to rescue his dog from a lake and drowned...

My brother won VIP tickets to the British MX GP when Dave Thorpe, Eric Geboers etc were in their prime. It was when they first started taking the double jump in one.

Amazing day!

Master
    I hade a red one followed by a TS 250X- then a string of other trail based bikes ending up on this which I sadly parted with a few years ago
    IMG_1815 by biglewie, on Flickr
    although never say never ive been eyeing up a KTM 200 in a local dealership
    Untitled by biglewie, on Flickr
    Last edited by lewie; 20th April 2019 at 11:24.

I can’t fault you guys from knowing your Brits pilots but Belgian pilots are worth a mention beyond The Kid (EG):there was people like Joel Robert, Roger de Coster, Stefan Everts, George Jobé, and a few more who would handle 500cc 2 strokes power for breakfast.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Craftsman
    Dave Thorpe! Yep, there`s a name from the past.
    And Eric Geboers is another that springs to mind of that era. Hard as nails, you`ve got to be - it`s an incredibly tough sport.
    Just Googled him, he died last year attempting to rescue his dog from a lake and drowned...
    Yes Dave Thorpe on 2 stroke, that Honda was a beast and the 2 strokes of old certainly sorted the men from the boys in the powerband, had the 250 and 500 and both made a schoolboy of me :),

Very sad re Geboers, some excellent Belgian riders over the years

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    My brother won VIP tickets to the British MX GP when Dave Thorpe, Eric Geboers etc were in their prime. It was when they first started taking the double jump in one.

Amazing day!
    Yes seen them in action myself, superhuman guys

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by lewie View Post
    I hade a red one followed by a TS 250X- then a string of other trail based bikes ending up on this which I sadly parted with a few years ago
    IMG_1815 by biglewie, on Flickr
    although never say never ive been eyeing up a KTM 200 in a local dealership
    Untitled by biglewie, on Flickr
    Shame, couple of nice classics there and hope the "never say never" works out for you. Few of my mates still ride mx so will try a couple myself this year, its been 20 years + since last outing mx, so agree never say never although I think I'll pay a punishing price this time round :)

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    I can’t fault you guys from knowing your Brits pilots but Belgian pilots are worth a mention beyond The Kid (EG):there was people like Joel Robert, Roger de Coster, Stefan Everts, George Jobé, and a few more who would handle 500cc 2 strokes power for breakfast.
    100% agreed, and don't forget Harry, all legends

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by I a n View Post
    I've just been taking a look at Calimoto ... even the free version seems better than CoPilot which I've been using.

Let me know how if works on your ride. Sounds like I will be converting to this ... and we should be able to share routes more easily.
    Quick review ... Calimoto seems excellent.
    Much easier to use than CoPilot for finding destinations.
    Choose a destination then choose if you want twisty roads, A roads or motorway preferences - and you can choose this option per segment.
    Plan your route on your PC and it's automatically added to your phone when you login

So my trip to Super Sausage this morning for breakfast took me on a whole bunch of new twisty roads.
    (Some were pretty poor condition B roads minds - hard to predict).

All for free - you get your local Map (all of UK) for free and pay for world maps or speed camera warnings.

Strong recommendation from me.

Master

My first off road bike

Bought in my teens - KX125 .. brother in law had KX250 quite a handful when it hit the power band

Last edited by I a n; 22nd April 2019 at 07:56.

Took the Moto Guzzi for a test ride today.

Really liked the handling and the general feel of the bike. Certainly a more relaxed ride compared with the R9T.

Build quality wasn’t in the BMW league though and it was disappointing that they’ve brought the bike to the market but dealers have no info at all about extras, which include aluminium panniers, Ohlins rear shock, Arrow can etc. I’d have probably bought one if they did have but all they could offer was the standard bike with the promise to add bits on at a later date but no fixed date for release or even a tentative price list!

Think I’ll hold on for a bit, but nice bike nonetheless.

Quick review ... Calimoto seems excellent.
    Much easier to use than CoPilot for finding destinations.
    Choose a destination then choose if you want twisty roads, A roads or motorway preferences - and you can choose this option per segment.
    Plan your route on your PC and it's automatically added to your phone when you login

So my trip to Super Sausage this morning for breakfast took me on a whole bunch of new twisty roads.
    (Some were pretty poor condition B roads minds - hard to predict).

All for free - you get your local Map (all of UK) for free and pay for world maps or speed camera warnings.

Strong recommendation from me.
    Just started using it myself, Ian - you know what your next job is, then

Edit: Ah, just seen your previous post!
    Last edited by learningtofly; 20th April 2019 at 16:37.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by j0hnbarker View Post

Really liked the handling and the general feel of the bike. Certainly a more relaxed ride compared with the R9T.

Build quality wasn’t in the BMW league though and it was disappointing that they’ve brought the bike to the market but dealers have no info at all about extras, which include aluminium panniers, Ohlins rear shock, Arrow can etc. I’d have probably bought one if they did have but all they could offer was the standard bike with the promise to add bits on at a later date but no fixed date for release or even a tentative price list!

Had a look at one of those a yesterday (in Denbigh). Certainly an attractive bike - and a bit different from the usual suspects. Spec-wise, it seems quite similar to my F750GS, although clearly more exotic.

Master

That looks fantastic. I think they are going to come in a couple of other colours too.

Isn’t there also a massive difference in power and power delivery?
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Craftsman
    Hope everyone has been enjoying the sunshine.

Just prepped the bike for a trip up to Silverstone tomorrow to watch the first round of BSB

More bike related stuff

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    Isn’t there also a massive difference in power and power delivery?
    80 vs. 110 BHP.

The BMW has more torques lower down the range and you have to rev the MG a little harder to get the most out of it.

I suppose I was commenting on the different dynamics. I bumped into one of my old instructors dropping the MG off and he sagely commented that I should get an 1150 GS if I liked the oilhead so much.
    Last edited by j0hnbarker; 20th April 2019 at 20:36.

Would not touch a Piaggio with a sh!tty stick.
    Awful company.
    Never, ever, again. Ever.
    Ever.

Rude not to be in the saddle on a day like today.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by darrenw View Post
    Rude not to be in the saddle on a day like today.

That tail needs a serious tidy
    RIAC

That tail needs a serious tidy
    The angle of the pic doesn’t do it any favours, but yes, it could do with a tidy.

Not sure I’m prepared to stump up £150 for a nice billet aluminium one though.

The angle of the pic doesn’t do it any favours, but yes, it could do with a tidy.

Not sure I’m prepared to stump up £150 for a nice billet aluminium one though.

It will transform the bike and you'll wonder why you didn't do it sooner.

Grand Master

That numberplate is in a different postcode
    RIAC

That numberplate is in a different postcode

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    It will transform the bike and you'll wonder why you didn't do it sooner.
    Any recommendations, a quick google throws up R&G and Evotech options ?

I've never installed one myself. Bikes have always come with them but I think those two are the main ones unless you're made of money and go with Rizoma. I would Google reviews on the R&G and Evotech and pick the better of the two.

Grand Master

Personally Id Dremel off that existing mount to adapt into be remounted with plate and a brake light and then custom fit some nice Rizoma Indicators in the seat or frame
    RIAC

Master

I don't have the Scrambler any more ... but when I did I went for R&G ... didn't install it myself so can't give any more insight on installation ...

ETA - Might be worth double checking if the Desert Sled needs a model specific tidy ... I imagine not
    Last edited by I a n; 22nd April 2019 at 18:21.

I don't have the Scrambler any more ... but when I did I went for R&G ... didn't install it myself so can't give any more insight on installation ...

ETA - Might be worth double checking if the Desert Sled needs a model specific tidy ... I imagine not
    No way you can see that photo and not have the same done. Looks 10x better.

Took the Diavel out for a spin today.
    Some of the major roads were a tad busy with bank holiday traffic but off the beaten track it was a super day for a ride.
    While the Diavel was treated to a brief rest in some dappled shade I had a mug of tea and a great bacon sarnie

Always fancied the PE400 when younger but couldn’t afford at the time, local Suzuki dealer at the time was Crooks Suzuki, had my fair share of trials bikes though and great fun had
    IMG_0015.jpg Found an old photo of mine, mid 80’s

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

................and i explored the byways on the DR Big.........

[IMG]g[/IMG]

[IMG]hg[/IMG]
    Last edited by E_2_Right-Force; 7th May 2019 at 17:48.

Also made the most of the fantastic weather today....

Looking at these myself too.....the Evotech one is a little cheaper but the R&G one has a neater number plate light solution according to all the forum chatter......apparently.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I would always choose R and G it’s better made stuff and you can phone them with questions.

My preference would be Evotech,better fitting instructions and quality on virtually all their products..but you pays your money and takes your choice.

I’m leaning towards Evotech as prefer aluminium over R&G’s SS, plus having looked at the Installation guides for both, their kit seems less invasive.

................and i explored the byways on the DR Big.........

Great bike! More pics please!

Old school for me these days,

But back in 92 I think it was...
    Last edited by Heuerfan; 23rd April 2019 at 18:50.

Love the urban tiger blade, interesting jacket to match

Picked up another RD350LC this morning,that’s the second one in a month😬it’s a sickness.

Craftsman
    Bought in my teens - KX125 .. brother in law had KX250 quite a handful when it hit the power band

Lovely bikes the KX 2 strokes, bought my son the KX100 back in the 90's, what an animal it was in the powerband, KX500 was also very popular