closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Upgrading / Changing Camera, but to what?

Upgrading / Changing Camera, but to what?

We currently have a Canon set up as follows:

6D Body
    24-70 f2.8 USM L II
    50mm f1.4 USM
    40mm STM Pancake
    EX430 Speedlight flash

We’re looking for something with improved quality and more compact but retaining flexibility of lenses.

Tech has moved on a lot since we bought this gear and the picture we get on iPhones are impressive by comparison. Where do we go from here? What we have is probably worth £1200 and we can go to £1500-£2k all in for the right set up (so the Leica Q2 I want is out 🤣).

Thanks.

https://www.mpb.com/en-uk/product/leica-q-typ-116. .... and in the unlikely event of requiring service / repair at a later date, Q cameras can be repaired / serviced by a former Leica UK technician and at reasonable cost https://camera-focus.co.uk
    Last edited by sundial; 3rd March 2024 at 14:23.
    "Well they would say that ... wouldn't they!"

Ooh, thanks. I’ll do some research.

If going for a fixed lens per suggestion above, I'd look at the new Fuji X100vi, £1,700 new and a lot more up-to-date. Only problem is you'll have to join a long queue to buy one (or maybe pick up the prior version X100V for a better price).

Alternatively if going for an ILC I'd probably go for Sony, maybe the A7C.

the canon EOS R that i had for sale at a very low price, plus an adaptor so you could use your current lenses on it

The Fujifilm XT-4 on SC at the moment is a very compelling price for what is apparently an excellent camera. I did think hard about the XT-5 on SC a month or so ago but I have an X100V and Nikon Z7 and don't really want to sell the latter. I've been very impressed with the X100V (like my X100S before it) and from what I've seen of the photos out of the XT-4 and -5 I suspect it's all the camera most of us would ever need.
    "A man of little significance"

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sundial View Post
    https://www.mpb.com/en-uk/product/leica-q-typ-116. .... and in the unlikely event of requiring service / repair at a later date, Q cameras can be repaired / serviced by a former Leica UK technician and at reasonable cost https://camera-focus.co.uk
    This post is very much appreciated.

Back in late 2019, I dropped my X1 in Shanghai & it did not bounce too well.

Then Covid hit & my plans to drop it into Leica in London for repair went out of the window.

After lockdown, Leica stopped repairing the X1 & offered a trade in deal... which I didn't want.

After reading this thread, I contacted David Slater on the above ( https://camera-focus.co.uk ) link.

The X1 is back & repaired.

Now I'm really looking forward to getting out with it again !

This place never ceases to amaze me!

z

Tempted to trade the 24-70 L series plus a couple hundred £ for a Leica D-Lux 7. I know it’s not full frame but might suit my needs (street, family etc). Does anyone have/had one, what are your thoughts?

I just looked at the size of a D-Lux 7 compared to the X100V and was rather surprised. The Fujifilm is 1cm longer but the Leica has a longer lens. I have a D-Lux 3 and it's tiny in comparison, to the point where I sometimes take it out in my jeans pocket (the X100V definitely wouldn't fit). The D-Lux 3 is clunky, doesn't like low light (at all) and takes ages to take a photo but some of the shots that come out of it are wonderful so it usually goes out when I take the X100V places. I had thought about the D-Lux 7 as a more modern version but the Ricoh GRIIIX looks much more like the smaller size I want.

Have you looked at a Ricoh as an alternative? The reviews are really good (as they are for the D-Lux 7).
    "A man of little significance"

Quote Originally Posted by dougair View Post
    Tempted to trade the 24-70 L series plus a couple hundred £ for a Leica D-Lux 7. I know it’s not full frame but might suit my needs (street, family etc). Does anyone have/had one, what are your thoughts?
    Old model and it's a badge engineered panasonic

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4342528

Furthermore, Panasonic is discontinuing its digital compact range.

Maybe consider a used / s/h Leica Q and suitable waistcoat with large-ish pockets. Better residual value . And consider requesting a PX quote for your Canon lenses from MPB?
    Last edited by sundial; Yesterday at 13:34.
    "Well they would say that ... wouldn't they!"

Master
    Going from a full frame camera to a compact one might not actually improve the quality of the images. Same as going from DSLR to Mirrorless though the latter gives you better features that still does not necessarily mean a better image. Your investment is in the lenses so the obvious update is a Canon R body and adaptor for the EF lenses. If you want to start afresh then there will be plenty of s/h gear from the likes of MPB to start again.Sony especially have put out so many bodies now there will be loads available.

Quote Originally Posted by sundial View Post
    Old model and it's a badge engineered panasonic

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4342528

Furthermore, Panasonic is discontinuing its digital compact range.

Maybe consider a used / s/h Leica Q and suitable waistcoat with large-ish pockets. Better residual value . And consider requesting a PX quote for your Canon lenses from MPB?
    Thanks, that’s helpful. I’ve got a trade in price for the Canon gear. It’s around £1200, which seems cheap for the quality of the gear! A cheap Q is around £2k and Q2 around £3k…not sure I can justify putting that much in to a new camera at the moment. Maybe waiting is the answer!

Quote Originally Posted by dougair View Post
    Leica is similar to the Panasonic LUMIX LX100 II

Lot of the lower priced Leicas are made by Panasonic

Blog Entries
    I have more cameras than you could shake a stick at but if I am going anywhere and do not (as is the case most times) want to lug a shedload of kit about, my ‘go to’ camera is my Sony RX100V. It takes very decent pics and is small and sits comfortably in the pocket or in a case on the hip. I have other decent small compacts, Rich GR, Nikon Coolpix A, Fujifilm XF10 but I always have seemed to gravitate to the Sony.

Master
    I’ve just gone from a Sony A7riii to an A7CR. I used my RX100 V a lot, but wanted something smaller than the A7r but full frame.

My RX100 V might be for sale shortly, assuming the A7CR fits the bill.