timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 258 of 359 FirstFirst ... 158208248256257258259260268308358 ... LastLast
Results 12,851 to 12,900 of 17904

Thread: More bike related stuff

Master
    I really try to put neither down

Quote Originally Posted by Gyp View Post
    The argument for using the rear brake at a junction is that if you are struck from behind the bike will tend to squat, your other foot will remain on the ground.

If you are holding on the front brake, the front will dip and the back lift, lifting your other foot off of the ground with a loss of stability.

Despite this, I too just hold it on the front
    We had a chat about this when I did my CBT. The instructor reckoned if you're hit from behind with any force your foot/hand will release the brakes instantly anyway.
    Hopefully I'll never test the theory.

Left foot down, right foot on brake.

Master
    Still running in, but have to say I’m rather pleased with my new Ducati😎👍

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MakeColdplayHistory View Post
    Which foot do you put down (first)?

I've followed a few riders over the weekend and a good proportion stopped at lights, junctions etc with only their right foot down. As a right-footed cyclist I've always stopped my pushbikes with my left foot on the floor and my right foot still clipped in to the pedal. On a motorbike I either have both feet down or sometimes my left foot down and my right foot on the brake. I could never have just my right foot down.

What about you?
    (and yes, very bored at work this afternoon)
    Right foot down only. Left is always ready to manage gears.
    The last time I put my left foot down was when I was learning how to ride. Unless you are already in gear and clutching in, left foot down means a rider simply is not ready to move and placing themselves at risk, or they will be an annoyance to other drivers as they will need to do a footdance before being able to move off.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bigweb View Post
    I know it's wrong and I am supposed to just put my left down and right on the back brake but unless I'm on a hill I generally just stand up on both feet to give my legs a stretch.
    Hendon shuffle end of discussion ………….Ill leave it here:)
    Last edited by higham5; 13th June 2022 at 21:34.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by j0hnbarker View Post
    Left foot down, right foot on brake.
    Correct:)

I've followed a few riders over the weekend and a good proportion stopped at lights, junctions etc with only their right foot down. As a right-footed cyclist I've always stopped my pushbikes with my left foot on the floor and my right foot still clipped in to the pedal. On a motorbike I either have both feet down or sometimes my left foot down and my right foot on the brake. I could never have just my right foot down.

What about you?
    I only ever put my right foot down. The other one doesn’t reach the floor, but does reach the gear lever.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Minor brown undies moment at Mallory yesterday

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GKiyvo2eed4

Thankfully the grass was dry. Wet grass and slicks don’t mix well.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Quote Originally Posted by andy tims View Post
    Minor brown undies moment at Mallory yesterday

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GKiyvo2eed4

Thankfully the grass was dry. Wet grass and slicks don’t mix well.
    Good sound editing, we can’t hear the expletives
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
    Still running in, but have to say I’m rather pleased with my new Ducati

That's a beauty. How are the footpegs, are they like mids or forward controls?
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Blog Entries

What about you?
    Usually both, unless it's just a touch and go.

I remember moaning about a bike I wanted being too tall for me to put both feet down, and saying I didn't feel comfortable because of it, only to be shown this....(hats off to the guy for skill)

https://youtube.com/shorts/sHm_wizutuA?feature=share
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Craftsman
    After lusting over an Indian scout bobber last year, I’ve always wanted to add a cruiser. Just ordered one of these following a windy test ride.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    That's a beauty. How are the footpegs, are they like mids or forward controls?
    Forwards, and they have a bit of adjustment in them… 3 positions.👍

Quote Originally Posted by BadBoyR View Post

Lovely, but the numberplate scaffolding would have to go.

Quote Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
    Still running in, but have to say I’m rather pleased with my new Ducati

Nice looking bike.

Must have a go on one at some point.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Master
    Finally got my new bike today after my MT 09 being stolen from home last month.

Safe to say its a very different bit of kit. Feel much higher up but it goes around corners great.

It's a 2018 KTM 1290 Super Adventure S

I reckon it's quicker than the MT from about 30mph onwards too.

Unbelievably Today was also the day I dropped my first bike

Dropped it on its side on my patio and smashed the mirror. Was bloody heavy getting it off the floor too!

Oh well could have been worse.

Sent from my SM-F926B using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Blog Entries

Safe to say its a very different bit of kit. Feel much higher up but it goes around corners great.

Dropped it on its side on my patio and smashed the mirror. Was bloody heavy getting it off the floor too!

Congratulations and commiserations!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by andy tims View Post
    Nice looking bike.

Must have a go on one at some point.
    This is my 3rd… Not sure what Ducati have done to make it Euro 5, but the whole bike feels faster and smoother than the other 2..

Mid range is arm wrenching👍

Craftsman
    Finally received the rearsets for the Guzzi

Back 137mm & up 20mm. Very comfortable along with Guzzi's own "sport" flatter bar.

I hadn't fitted the hydraulic brake switch yet in this photo.

Nice little run out yesterday.

Sent from my Nokia 8.3 5G using Tapatalk

Anyone else doing the MCN #ride5000miles thingy?
    The aim being to ride 5000 miles over a 12 month period - some people (like me) do it over a calendar year, others start e.g. when they get a new bike.
    Anyway if you do it over a calendar year, unless you go out and ride 13 miles on Jan 1st and another 13 miles on Jan 2nd and so on, you're playing 'catch up' until roughly this time of year.
    Yesterday I caught up. On target to hit 5000 miles on Dec 31st, I should have done 2274 miles by June 16th and I'm on 2299 (across 2 bikes). I'll step on now and get further ahead of target over the sunny months so I don't have to do too many miles in Nov & Dec.

(yes, very bored at work (both today and early last year when I pulled the spreadsheet together to track the bikes' mileage and progress vs. plan))

Master
    MCH I have been watching the Ride 5000 mile challenge at MCN over the last three years and have to say I am a bit cynical. Its a bike mag promoting bikes and gear and wants people to get their arse into gear and really use their bikes. Thus wearing out tyres, needing new bikes and wanting new kit.

As a concept I like it BUT ……with fuel prices Im a great believer in quality over quantity. Now if they did “How many piers , castles, Chippies ‘ did you do? I would be in .

Craftsman
    [QUOTE=chris2982;6011979]Nice little run out yesterday.

That's a beautiful bike, the reviews for the Triumph 660 Tiger Sport have been so good. Enjoy your ride =)

Put on new tyres, chain and sprockets yesterday, so out for an early morning test run……..

Craftsman
    Lovely ride out today.

Had to stop for a coffee to soak the bugs off my visor =)

[QUOTE=Samlack99;6012559]
    Quote Originally Posted by chris2982 View Post
    Nice little run out yesterday.

That's a beautiful bike, the reviews for the Triumph 660 Tiger Sport have been so good. Enjoy your ride =)
    Thanks, the more I ride it the more I like it.

Got out for a bit of a run today, weather was great!

Master
    Looking forward to spending the next few days up in Scotland:

Quote Originally Posted by downer View Post

Route looks great, shame though as I'm just visiting the East Coast near St Andrews and you could have popped in for a beer and chat!

Quote Originally Posted by downer View Post
    That looks great; just don't forget to stock up on Avon Skin So Soft!

My T120 has gained a new friend in the garage..

Honda CB500X, which despite its lowly performance numbers, is more fun than you might expect!

On the lookout for a late Superduke GT if any of you know anyone who's selling one for a good price.

Quote Originally Posted by higham5 View Post
    That is what I was taught when I took my test in the 80s and still do it most of the time.

Quote Originally Posted by higham5 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MB2 View Post
    That is what I was taught when I took my test in the 80s and still do it most of the time.
    I took my test in 1980 and haven’t a clue what you’re on about.

Mind, back then the test consisted of wobbling around the block on your 250LC and if you didn’t fall off or hit someone then you were good to go!

Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post

Mind, back then the test consisted of wobbling around the block on your 250LC and if you didn’t fall off or hit someone then you were good to go!
    Or even if you did, a mate took his test late 70's and ran in to the back of a car due to nerves. As this happened at a point where the tester was unsighted he still passed!

Probably urban myth but there was a story about a guy in our town who was told to ride round the block until the instructor stepped out with his clipboard at which point he was to do an emergency stop.
    So, around the corner he came on his silver Superdream in his black leather jacket and white Bell helmet to find the instructor on the deck having been hit by a silver Superdream ridden by a guy in a black leather jacket and white Bell helmet.

Master
    Probably urban myth but there was a story about a guy in our town who was told to ride round the block until the instructor stepped out with his clipboard at which point he was to do an emergency stop.
    So, around the corner he came on his silver Superdream in his black leather jacket and white Bell helmet to find the instructor on the deck having been hit by a silver Superdream ridden by a guy in a black leather jacket and white Bell helmet.
    Similar but not quite the same , my instructor barked out a series of left / right/ straight on etc to set up the emergency stop. In my nervous state I forgot the lot and winged it arriving behind my instructor looking the other way for his candidate. Amazingly I passed

It starts in neutral, left foot on the ground, right foot covering the rear brake. On Red/Amber you put your right foot down, left foot taps the bike into gear then goes back on the ground so the right foot can go back onto the brake before you pull away.

I took my test on a 125 and like a few here also got lost but somehow still passed first time. Only then could I move to LCs

I also got lost on my test - 250 Superdream, Manchester Rd, Swindon, December 1982 - but still passed first time after I managed to turn around and find the examiner.

Did anyone not get lost on their test in the days when the examiner simply told you a number of turns and sent you off?

Typing this I've just realised that by the end of the year I'll have had my full licence for 40 years! Eek!

I also got lost on my test - 250 Superdream, Manchester Rd, Swindon, December 1982 - but still passed first time after I managed to turn around and find the examiner.

Did anyone not get lost on their test in the days when the examiner simply told you a number of turns and sent you off?

Typing this I've just realised that by the end of the year I'll have had my full licence for 40 years! Eek!
    Beautiful bike. I rode the original 250 Dream for a while, but always lusted after the 400/4 (which in my late teens was my dream bike).
    Last edited by learningtofly; 21st June 2022 at 07:39.

Master

I didn’t but lt was pretty simple here as it was usually based around 2 sets of gardens built in a square
    He had ‘hidden’ behind a transit for the emergency stop but it had windows in the back doors I spotted him 50 yds up the road

Surly your referring to the ‘wet’ dream as it was fondly known

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Beautiful bike. I rode the original 250 Dream for a while, but always lusted after the 400/4 (which in my late teens was my dream bike).
    Pedant alert! The original Honda Dream was the 1960's C72 pressed steel frame OHC 250 twin, a larger version of the 1960's 125cc Benly twin.

I owned a very early 1959 CB72 Super Dream 250 twin (with 305cc CB77 barrels pistons and heads, naughty) when I was a learner driver. I was told it was a press bike from when Honda was making the push into the UK marketplace but with nothing to back that claim up. Registration VAN 667, where are you now?

Got back yesterday from an 10 day ride around Scotland (and some bits of England).
    The trip started a bit damp but ended in fine weather and great roads (and some views)...in no particular order:

Last edited by Stanford; 24th June 2022 at 15:12.

Quote Originally Posted by lewie View Post
    I didn’t but lt was pretty simple here as it was usually based around 2 sets of gardens built in a square
    He had ‘hidden’ behind a transit for the emergency stop but it had windows in the back doors I spotted him 50 yds up the road

Surly your referring to the ‘wet’ dream as it was fondly known
    Rather foolishly I took a cancellation so was riding around unfamiliar roads in Hersham which had a one way system and yes saw him a mile out. He did mention he could only mark what he could see but still passed me.

It was August 1986 so 35 years riding for me !

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by djjuk View Post

Honda CB500X, which despite its lowly performance numbers, is more fun than you might expect!
    As a fellow CB500X owner, I can only agree. This is my first bike with a windscreen and I don't think I'll ever go naked again.

Who am I kidding?

So many bikes to ride, so little time =)

Quote Originally Posted by djjuk View Post

I do like the CB500X, I was stuck between one of them or the Tiger Sport 660.

Sorry about the drop - nice bike and I hope it got away with just the mirror getting damaged.

There is a technique for picking a heavy bike up - you basically squat/walk back with your legs.

Quote Originally Posted by Samlack99 View Post
    As a fellow CB500X owner, I can only agree. This is my first bike with a windscreen and I don't think I'll ever go naked again.

Who am I kidding?

So many bikes to ride, so little time =)
    Indeed!

It reminds me of my previous Tiger 800 but a lighter and more fun version. Great bike.

Quote Originally Posted by chris2982 View Post
    I do like the CB500X, I was stuck between one of them or the Tiger Sport 660.

Yeah, similar in size, but your Tiger has that lovely triple that I did enjoy in a Tiger 800 I had. For me, the CBX is a good choice for a simple 'do it all' second bike - if it was my only bike, I think I would probably be back on a Tiger of some type.

Although having been badly let down by Triumph recently, I am not giving them another £, so if and when the time comes to change my T120, I will look elsewhere.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MB2 View Post
    Sorry about the drop - nice bike and I hope it got away with just the mirror getting damaged.

There is a technique for picking a heavy bike up - you basically squat/walk back with your legs.
    Yes just a mirror thankfully.

I figured I would be able to just lift the bike like a deadlift....... realised it was really heavy and decided against it.

I ended up doing the thing where I turned around backwards and lifted it that way.

Really enjoying the bike though. Changing the suspension settings turns it from a great tourer into something resembling a sporty naked bike. The engine is an absolute gem!